Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007

Octavian posted:

I think there's something wrong with my Evo 3D. I can't see the 3D effect, and neither can any one else I've showed it to. All I've ever seen, no matter what I angle I view it at, is the two images making the 3D composite ghosted over each other - it that what a still image is supposed to look like if the 3D isn't kicking in?

An update on my post a few days ago - it is possible to get an Evo 3D with a broken 3D screen. I finally got around to the nearest Sprint repair center and played around with a demo 3D, and it worked perfectly for me. After a tech fiddled with it for a little while they just gave me a new phone. If you are seeing that double-image effect I described, I wouldn't be surprised if your phone also needs to be replaced.

Incidentally, I also want to mention that the 3D is more fun play around with than I would have thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It really is a neat gimmick. And you can always convert to 2d later.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Sprint just announced that the Photon 4G will be available on 7/31 for $199.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1972&view_id=6791

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

mtr posted:

I know that Sprint's network was messed up a few days ago, but is anyone else still having problems?

Two of my friends who are on Verizon have texted me in the past day and I haven't received any of the texts. I'm trying to determine if it's Sprint or my phone causing the problem. Google Voice hasn't even picked up on the texts, so I think it's Sprint?

Edit: I've tested this a little further now. It appears I can send texts to anyone. I can receive texts from one of my Sprint friends. But I cannot receive texts from Verizon people. Testing with AT%T right now.

Yep, the texting problem is back for me too, only in reverse for me. I can recieve texts but not send them.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

I wonder if the photon is going to be able to work with the laptop docking station.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
They confirmed it would have the Webtop dock available when it was first announced.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

letsgoflyers81 posted:

They confirmed it would have the Webtop dock available when it was first announced.

Yeah, in their press release they don't mention it for some reason. I thought that was one of the main selling points of the thing. The webtop dock they mentioned when it was first announced could be referring to the HD media dock, which also uses the webtop applications.

quote:

Robust Accessory Ecosystem

Customers will appreciate the wide variety of Sprint and Motorola exclusive accessories available to customize their Motorola PHOTON 4G experience. Options include

* Paired with the HD Station, which includes a Wireless Remote and HDMI Cable, users can do more than ever on a larger screen. When docked, the Motorola PHOTON 4G launches the Webtop application, providing users with instant access to full Firefox® multi-window browsing capabilities. Additionally, users can connect up to three USB peripherals, such as a keyboard, mouse or memory stick to be even more productive at home or on-the-go. The HD Station will be available when the device launches for $99.99 (excludes tax).

* The full-size Wireless Keyboard allows Motorola PHOTON 4G users to work faster with Bluetooth® technology and a super thin design. The Wireless Keyboard provides quick access to Android® apps using dedicated shortcut keys and navigate through Web apps powered by Android in a snap. Available when the device launches, the Wireless Keyboard will retail for $69.99 (excludes tax).

* Hitting the open road for summer vacation? The Vehicle Navigation Dock for Motorola PHOTON 4G is the ultimate travel companion providing users with easy access to maps, favorite contacts, hands-free calling, music, turn-by-turn navigation and more. Equipped with integrated Motorola ESP technology to automate the screen preferences, and allows streaming audio & music via the 3.5mm audio jack through the vehicle speakers. The Vehicle Navigation Dock will be available when the device launches for $59.99 (excludes tax).

* When it comes time to recharge Motorola PHOTON 4G, Sprint offers a wide variety of power solutions, including a Battery Only Charger and Battery Bundle. This high performing, 1700mAh Lithium Ion replacement battery gives the device the power to talk, send texts, take pictures, or just be on standby. The bundle includes a battery-only charger, providing users the option to charge the spare battery separately and is available on August 21 for $49.99 (excludes tax).

The press release has no mention of the lapdock, just the HD multimedia dock and the navigation dock.

Additionally, the lapdock sells for $499 and none of the docks mentioned are even close to that price.

Appachai fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 13, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mtr posted:

I know that Sprint's network was messed up a few days ago, but is anyone else still having problems?

Two of my friends who are on Verizon have texted me in the past day and I haven't received any of the texts. I'm trying to determine if it's Sprint or my phone causing the problem. Google Voice hasn't even picked up on the texts, so I think it's Sprint?

Edit: I've tested this a little further now. It appears I can send texts to anyone. I can receive texts from one of my Sprint friends. But I cannot receive texts from Verizon people. Testing with AT%T right now.

I cannot send texts to emails anymore, I guess.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

$500 what the gently caress? Just buy a real laptop instead.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

diospadre posted:

$500 what the gently caress? Just buy a real laptop instead.

I think the idea is you pay 200 for the phone + 500 for the laptop and you have a macbook air with 3/4G and no additional contract.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Appachai posted:

I think the idea is you pay 200 for the phone + 500 for the laptop and you have a macbook air with 3/4G and no additional contract.
Except bigger than a MacBook Air and not running a desktop OS. Also, the dock is useless without a phone attached right? With a MacBook, you can still use it without a phone hooked up.

In other words, if I'm going to spend $500 on a device that looks and smells like a computer, it better actually be a computer. Also, what are you supposed to do when a call comes in?

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Except bigger than a MacBook Air and not running a desktop OS. Also, the dock is useless without a phone attached right? With a MacBook, you can still use it without a phone hooked up.

Yes.

quote:

In other words, if I'm going to spend $500 on a device that looks and smells like a computer, it better actually be a computer. Also, what are you supposed to do when a call comes in?
Makes sense to me. I have no idea what happens when a call comes in. I'm not actually interested in buying it, I just think it's an interesting concept. Something like this is probably where things are headed in the future.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Appachai posted:

I just think it's an interesting concept.
What's so interesting about it? I'm asking seriously.

Appachai posted:

Something like this is probably where things are headed in the future.
I sincerely hope not. There's a lot of technology out there that I don't personally have a use for, but I can understand its purpose and why one would consider purchasing it.

However this whole lapdock thing is monumentally retarded. The only reason it exists is because we haven't totally sorted out the storage management problem between devices and because of asinine tethering policies of US carriers.

Consider, for $250 I can go out to Walmart and buy a reasonably-equipped atom netbook. With the right software on a rooted phone, I can wirelessly tether and access all my SD card storage. Note the following benefits:
  • The netbook is perfectly usable in isolation.
  • The netbook doesn't use any proprietary interfaces that only works with two phones.
  • I can keep my phone in my pocket instead of having it sticking out the rear end end of the lapdock (where someone can walk by and yoink it).
  • I can actually answer a call and still tether (4G only I guess).
Even if some of the specs are better on the lapdock, I'm sure I can do a bit better than an atom netbook without spending an additional $250. Perhaps a used X-series ThinkPad, possibly even a new one.

The future is zero configuration device interoperability. Something like this just seems like a total step backwards.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 13, 2011

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

The interesting thing would be having a cell phone as powerful as a desktop that could simply dock and run a real OS in a bunch of different environments such as a 24 inch screen(like a desktop), a tablet, laptop, or maybe even your car. All your computing stuff in one cell phone sized thing. The technology isn't there yet but it will be eventually.

E: I also want my cell phone to replace my credit cards, atm cards, health insurance card, car insurance card, driver's license, etc.

E2: Also apparently if you buy a bundle the lapdock is $300. 500 is if you buy it separately.

Appachai fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 14, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Appachai posted:

E2: Also apparently if you buy a bundle the lapdock is $300. 500 is if you buy it separately.

Yeah, this was the pricing structure for the Atrix and dock when it came out too.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I want a computer in my brain, and also an immortal robot body.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

diospadre posted:

You are a cylon.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Appachai posted:

The interesting thing would be having a cell phone as powerful as a desktop that could simply dock and run a real OS in a bunch of different environments such as a 24 inch screen(like a desktop), a tablet, laptop, or maybe even your car.
I suppose. Thing is, all of these things are going to have ASICs in them to drive the display interface and handle I/O. At that point, what's the cost of throwing in an ARM core and some nominal storage so that they can be full-fledged computers in their own right?

I suppose in some circumstances it might not make sense, but a $500 dock with a screen and a keyboard is just begging for it.

Appachai posted:

Interesting. So that pricing structure would seem to encourage folks to purchase the bundle, possibly on impulse. It's logical, if you're going to want/need it later, you don't want to pay $200 more for it. Makes one underthink the "want/need" part.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
How does the Photon stack up against the Evo 3D and the SGS2?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How does the Photon stack up against the Evo 3D and the SGS2?

Doesn't the Atrix (same as Atrix) have a really bad screen?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm really hoping they put out an update to the camera app for the 3D. The slow shutter speed is pretty bad when it comes to taking photos of anything that is moving.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

TLG James posted:

I'm really hoping they put out an update to the camera app for the 3D. The slow shutter speed is pretty bad when it comes to taking photos of anything that is moving.

Kinda agree, just did a test, even with autofocus off, it's about half a second between press and picture.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Shift has a slow shutter speed also, is this a common thing with HTC phones? My Env Touch took better pictures of moving objects honestly.

noapparentfunction
Apr 27, 2006

spin that 45 funk.
I'm on Sprint and good for an upgrade so I'm diving headfirst into Android for the first time. The Nexus S is grabbing my attention because it's stock Android (first to get updates), nice specs, and it's on sale for $99. It even has that weird NFC stuff I'd be interested in tinkering with. I think this is the one I want.

Is there any good reason I shouldn't buy this and opt for one of Sprint's steroid-addled megaphones instead?

noapparentfunction fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 14, 2011

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

diospadre posted:

I agree completely.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

noapparentfunction posted:

I'm on Sprint and good for an upgrade so I'm diving headfirst into Android for the first time. The Nexus S is grabbing my attention because it's stock Android (first to get updates), nice specs, and it's on sale for $99. It even has that weird NFC stuff I'd be interested in tinkering with. I think this is the one I want.

Is there any good reason I shouldn't buy this and opt for one of Sprint's steroid-addled megaphones instead?

I came from a Nexus One and chose the Evo 3D over the NS. It's just so much better, with a qHD screen, much beefier processor, 1gb RAM. And Sense is pretty great. It's an absolutely amazing phone.

noapparentfunction
Apr 27, 2006

spin that 45 funk.

big mean giraffe posted:

I came from a Nexus One and chose the Evo 3D over the NS. It's just so much better, with a qHD screen, much beefier processor, 1gb RAM. And Sense is pretty great. It's an absolutely amazing phone.

I can't help but feel like the custom skins manufacturers put on top of Android are a detriment to the performance and battery life. Also I was preferring the Nexus S due to its thinner dimensions because I don't like huge phones. What do you think?

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

I can't help but feel like the custom skins manufacturers put on top of Android are a detriment to the performance and battery life. Also I was preferring the Nexus S due to its thinner dimensions because I don't like huge phones. What do you think?

Sense 3.0 is pretty awesome and I have yet to notice any performance issues. I replaced the homescreen app with Launcher Pro, but even without it runs pretty drat fast.

Plus you can overclock to 1.8ghz on the EVO 3D and it's extremely stable. Haven't crashed yet and I've been running the overclock since it came out with.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

I came from a Hero, so it was like jumping to the loving space shuttle for me. (:patriot: )

Also, that Slate3D skin you recommended is SO MUCH BETTER than stock 3.0 it's amazing. No more aliasing :worship: Absolutely loving it so far.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
^^Yeah, someone posted it on here yesterday I think, and it's so much better than the stock ugly round thing.

I've been like I said on a Nexus One for a year and a half and a G1 before that, using stock AOSP and Cyanogenmod ROMs, and I actually prefer Sense as it is now. This phone is a beast and has NO performance issues at all.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

big mean giraffe posted:

^^Yeah, someone posted it on here yesterday I think, and it's so much better than the stock ugly round thing.

What exactly are you two talking about? I can't find any mention of a Slate3D skin.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Krittick posted:

What exactly are you two talking about? I can't find any mention of a Slate3D skin.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1163879

It's a single .apk install.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Also I was preferring the Nexus S due to its thinner dimensions because I don't like huge phones.
Get the Nexus S.

Yes the Evo 3D has better hardware in nearly every aspect. However it's big (4.3"), runs Sense, isn't fully rootable yet, might take some time (a few months?) to get a daily-driving AOSP ROM, and lacks NFC. So while it's an absolutely awesome device, it's not a great fit for you.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Anyone having trouble sending picture texts? Mine won't go through.

On an EVO 3D.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Well, you'd be signing a two year contact for last year's nexus.

You already know the arguments for and against, what are you expecting to hear?

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

If you don't mind the slightly dated hardware, go with the Nexus S. It's a great phone that performs well. It even outperforms the EVO 3D in many things when you go head to head on stock (theres a few YouTube videos out there).

I was personally between the EVO 3D and the Nexus S. I chose the EVO because of the specs. I wish I'd gone with the Nexus. Don't get me wrong, the EVO is a good phone, but it's far from perfect. I like the sleek look and smaller form of the Nexus better. And despite having a lower resolution, S Amoled is gorgeous..

Some people like Sense 3.0. I don't. I can't wait to root my phone and get stock Android on here. Sense feels too gimmicky and unecessary in certain places.

They're both great phones and both have their shortcomings. You can't go wrong either way. And if you don't like the one you chose, you have 30 days to exchange it :)

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

a shameful boehner posted:

Also, that Slate3D skin you recommended is SO MUCH BETTER than stock 3.0 it's amazing. No more aliasing :worship: Absolutely loving it so far.
If you like that, check this one out. It's essentially the same as Slate 3D but adds some transparency: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1168270

Jeratain fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 14, 2011

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

CNN posted:

U.S. Army may soon equip troops with smartphones

(CNN) -- For U.S. Army troops, smartphones could become requisite field gear, along with boots, guns and ammunition.

The Army is wrapping up a six-week program to test the viability of using touchscreen phones and tablets in combat.

"We're looking at an assortment of devices," McCarthy said. "All the phones we've tested are pretty good."

A few devices have proved problematic, though. One popular phone from Samsung Electronics failed to connect to cellular networks and had bugs in its Android operating system, McCarthy said. So Sprint Nextel exchanged it for a different Samsung model, he said.
Haha, the Epic strikes again.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

td4guy posted:

Haha, the Epic strikes again.

My girlfriend had better reception with my old epic than I did with my 3D in the lovely areas in Florida, but then again I had more absolute utility as I wasn't waiting for the browser to open, and I could actually use my GPS :parrot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
As someone who has a Shift and a Epic on their lines, so far the Epic has been a better phone in every way. This is going by basic day to day use and haven't rooted either phone (I might put MIUI on the Shift). I guess lucky on our Epic.

Nexus S is not a option if you are signing a 2 year contract. I wouldn't buy a phone right now unless dual core. So a thinner phone with dual core? Simple get the SGSII when it comes out (rumor is very soon). It does have TouchWiz, but root and flash that bitch right off there.

Here is the review of the SGSII (Europe version) with some pictures.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/28/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-review/

If you can't wait get the 3D. As a EVO owner I can tell you that you will get use to the size. Still I do wish it was lighter and thinner.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 14, 2011