Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I assumed he meant on sentry watching the rifles of everyone else when they're inside eating/doing whatever. Although yeah, they still shouldn't have had the ability to pick one up. Who's to say they wouldn't have immediately run away with it?

I've lost count of how many people have asked me at Gun Salutes if we're going to be using actual ammunition at the event, or if we're shelling Quebec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

No it's the equivalent of someone taking your regimental colours and drawing dicks on them with sharpies. The guns are our colours.

Since you put it that way.

I was all excited to find a way to make it happen, but now I feel like it would be too big of a dick move. drat Arty guys, getting me all excited for being a poo poo disturber and then making me reconsider my decisions.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

And why the gently caress would a civvie have the ability to pick up your weapon on guard duty? Why wouldn't it be with you at all times?

I'm pretty sure the story is what Vadoc was saying. Big line of rifles at the Halifax Citadel, the rest of the platoon eating lunch with two dudes watching the guns/smoking and chatting. A dude with his family walked by and picked one up and was like, hey is this a real gun? The privates freaked out. The civvy put the gun down and walked away. Not a big deal really.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Hizawk posted:

Be honest. It's really hard to be turned down. Physically, it's pretty easy, but all the Army cares about is your running time, pushups, situps and pullups. So work on those.

Actually "being honest" has caused me a lot of problems so far, like with my injury history. What kind of things are dealbreakers to get rejected?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Mantle posted:

Actually "being honest" has caused me a lot of problems so far, like with my injury history. What kind of things are dealbreakers to get rejected?

I told them I smoked a shitload of pot and they told me to come back six months later.

All in all it actually turned out for the better due to the timing of courses and stuff, but it was infuriating.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

Mantle posted:

The interview will be like any other job interview for a major corporation or government job. The only difference being you'll be asked if you're prepared to kill people.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Barrakketh posted:

The interview will be like any other job interview for a major corporation or The only difference being you'll be asked if you're prepared to kill people.
Make sure you say "Yes" to this question without hesitation. The interviewer will think you're hardcore and give you the job.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing

E.Nigma posted:

Make sure you say "Yes" to this question without hesitation. The interviewer will think you're hardcore and give you the job.

And never blink.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
And smile really slowly.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Make sure you tell him you watch Black Hawk Down and play call of duty.

Just know what the forces.ca site says about the position. Know what you will be doing and the conditions you will encounter.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

tuyop posted:

I'm pretty sure the story is what Vadoc was saying. Big line of rifles at the Halifax Citadel, the rest of the platoon eating lunch with two dudes watching the guns/smoking and chatting. A dude with his family walked by and picked one up and was like, hey is this a real gun? The privates freaked out. The civvy put the gun down and walked away. Not a big deal really.

:stare:

Oh, Canada. "Hey derp I wonder if the ARMY uses real guns derp"

And Vadoc I loving despise howitzer blanks they are nasty and gross and foul up the gun something wicked. Goddamn black powder.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, especially after the carwash we used to go to closed down. :(

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Vadoc posted:

On Maple Defender back in 07 we were on position when they told us 'oh yes you only have one day of live fire out of 7, the rest of the days are all blanks'.

We went through the entire battery's supply of shitter paper within a day punching rolls down the barrel.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Vadoc posted:

Your base doesn't have wash racks? Ghetto

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

Your base doesn't have wash racks? Ghetto

Reservists. Our wash racks tend to be a pressure washer attached to a garden hose.

Unless you're at Meaford and yes, there are wash-racks there.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

I love how Canadian flags at the QM are always hush hush. The supply clerk passed me a couple today like they were illegal drugs.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

mdivi posted:

I love how Canadian flags at the QM are always hush hush. The supply clerk passed me a couple today like they were illegal drugs.

I wanted ten yesterday, because I seriously need them. She told me she couldn't hand so many out.

I told her was a storeman for a course(and its true I am right now). I now own ten flags.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
Seriously. That and Cpl epaulets. Why the gently caress are these so hard to make in the appropriate numbers? When dudes leave the army everybody is like 'can I have your epaulet? I only have one and it looks like it passed through the digestive tract of a goat.'

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Morristron posted:

Seriously. That and Cpl epaulets. Why the gently caress are these so hard to make in the appropriate numbers? When dudes leave the army everybody is like 'can I have your epaulet? I only have one and it looks like it passed through the digestive tract of a goat.'

Don't you guys have a bq/cqw at your unit? They should have assloads, or enough for your unit at least.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

My Spirit Otter posted:

Don't you guys have a bq/cqw at your unit? They should have assloads, or enough for your unit at least.

I've got guys still waiting to get name-tags :negative:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Barrakketh posted:

I've got guys still waiting to get name-tags :negative:

Remember when the ID Disc machine broke for two years? I remember that. That was fun.

I was the last one in my unit wearing the old-style combats, I didn't mind, those things were awesomely comfortable. I was also the last one to get gortex kit, the last one to get my tac-vest(This was after I rebadged RMS Clerk.) Because 'clerks don't go in the field' even though I was in the field far more than the loving douchebag oval office supply tech that was issuing that kit (the same one that asked for my underwear back when I mustered out)

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
gently caress first time I went to the QM here I got hooked up with new rain gear, tac vest, frag vest and I have an appointment set up to get my new ruck. One nice thing about being combat arms is that they deck you right out for kit if you aren't on PAT. Plus LDA is going to own.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I had my ground sheet taken away from me for people going on course because there was a shortage. I almost got charged for it when I left. They took my underwear, they were so comfy.

All the reserves I met seemed to have a stash of flags.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 15, 2011

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Morristron posted:

Try getting air force male DEU OCdt slip ons on a navy base. They gave me female ones that don't even fit on the epaulet flaps of my shirts. That and there's like a 6-8 week wait for plastic nametags (air force is blue) so I get to wear my sweater for the foreseeable future. Fortunately(?) the summer around here has been like winter so far.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

compressioncut posted:

Try getting air force male DEU OCdt slip ons on a navy base. They gave me female ones that don't even fit on the epaulet flaps of my shirts. That and there's like a 6-8 week wait for plastic nametags (air force is blue) so I get to wear my sweater for the foreseeable future. Fortunately(?) the summer around here has been like winter so far.

Hillside mall has a place that will make up plastic name tags for you that are pretty much identical to the ones you are issued. It'll cost you ten bucks but if you need one quickly.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Morristron posted:

The Royal Navy has a nationwide shortage of Sublieutenant tabs. When we were in IOT, every subbie got one of their two pairs deissued to pass forwards to the passing out entry.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Lt. Jebus posted:

Hillside mall has a place that will make up plastic name tags for you that are pretty much identical to the ones you are issued. It'll cost you ten bucks but if you need one quickly.

That engraving booth in front of Sears? Good idea.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Why would they take your underwear? That's ridiculous.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I hope you returned it unwashed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't even wear the underwear. I have twenty of them still in their plastic. And I hate this year's combat shirts. They're slightly bigger, so I got some smalls that look like they're painted on me. Love it.

I got the new raingear by acting like I'm a big deal because I have a super minor staff tasking at the infantry school. The pats are very jealous.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
I am the only remaining man in NATO wearing his gortex stealth jacket under his waterlogged combat shirt....LIKE A BOSS

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

tuyop posted:

I don't even wear the underwear. I have twenty of them still in their plastic. And I hate this year's combat shirts. They're slightly bigger, so I got some smalls that look like they're painted on me. Love it.

I got the new raingear by acting like I'm a big deal because I have a super minor staff tasking at the infantry school. The pats are very jealous.

Seriously? I wish I had bought a ton of them with my points before leaving. Best underwear ever.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Flanker posted:

I am the only remaining man in NATO wearing his gortex stealth jacket under his waterlogged combat shirt....LIKE A BOSS

I was doing this, if only because it looks drat sweet. Unfortunately my stealth jacket is five years old at this point and does very little to repel water.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Morristron posted:

Besides the epaulet that the OC swapped, I ended up getting four Cpl epaulets for my promotion earlier this week. There was someone else who was supposed to be promoted, but she was on leave, so I guess I lucked out with extras.

I need to beg for some flags though. Just before leaving for course last year, I realized I lost all my flags, and improvised with some surplus bought flags, cut-out velcro, and glue. They look a lot fresher, but the glue wears off. I'm down to one proper flag that I try to remember to take off each time before I slip off my backpack/rucksack.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

acumen posted:

I was doing this, if only because it looks drat sweet. Unfortunately my stealth jacket is five years old at this point and does very little to repel water.

Have you tried the dryer trick? Supposedly the heat re seals it or something.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Subtle, like a baboon's rear end.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

acumen posted:

Just wash it with that water repelling stuff from any hiking store. Then spray it if you want. Mine is four years old now and it helped a lot.

I am angry that I lost my pants though. It's like 120 dollars just disappeared at some point.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

mdivi posted:

Why would they take your underwear? That's ridiculous.

At the time I discharged (heh) I was told my unit was going through a severe budgetary crisis. I got so, so lucky that the supply tech I was working with originally went on tasking and I got to work with the RQM himself, a master bomb I'd worked with on a lot of occasions.

I told him how 2 years ago, my car had been broken into before a parade night, and my small-pack had been stolen along with my field hat and a few other odds and ends (gortex socks, etc). I field a lost kit report immediately (I was a clerk at that point, filed that poo poo up the chain in no time at all), and was told by the guy doing QM work at my battery that it was being taken care of, no problem.

Two years later, no record of that lost kit report remained. They wanted me to pay something insane like $700 for the pack, and other kit. But I got to be all :smug: when I pulled out the police report and the original lost kit report and say "nope, lost while on duty." The RQM basically punched it through hard for me, forced the unit to eat it so I could discharge. He put some other stuff on the report that I couldn't find as well, saved me a bunch of money. In return, I gave him every last scrap I had lying around, extra epaulettes, pair of boots I've never worn because the unit was hurting for them, and I wanted to help him out. Only good experience I had from discharging was through that guy.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I was waiting for my baggage in Toronto Airport 2 days ago and I saw a few kit bags go around. I wanted to pick one up and hopefully get one full of gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

One of those kit bags was mine if it was in T1, and it was filled with really ugly civilian clothes. Some dirty underwear too!