Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
A likely story...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Once again, hits to the head knock down one Goon and send a Clanner to meet Kerensky. That's horribly improbable. Which is alright by me.

The justice foot tradition lives on.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I am glad I made the advice for justice boot to the dervish. This is good, the black knight will be fine in a little bit, no trouble, clanners have plenty of unengaged left to shoot at, king crab should continue to gauss the hunchback...

Wait, ptn the king crab is at medium range to the hunchback, not long it hits on a 7... and one of those is an 8.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

Wait, ptn the king crab is at medium range to the hunchback, not long it hits on a 7... and one of those is an 8.

You are correct (again, the perils of having to break the mapsheet in two in order to upload it to an image host). Fixed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Star League vintage Justice Foot?

NEXT LEVEL KICKING MANEUVER. That's smart.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Guy in the lynx, jump forward 5, and turn as you land to present your Right side, (turn left one tick from forward. this will protect your vulnerable left torso and let you pour the fire onto the quad, then kick it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

Guy in the lynx, jump forward 5, and turn as you land to present your Right side, (turn left one tick from forward. this will protect your vulnerable left torso and let you pour the fire onto the quad, then kick it.

If it's in his front arc (i.e. he can make a kick attack), it will hit his front arc.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

If it's in his front arc (i.e. kickable), it will hit his front arc.

bah, then two turns, and pour the fire on after a torso twist.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The Justice Foot claims another victim!

W.T. Fits is looking to make Acolyte XXVI Evelyn Rush the CrabGaurd MVP.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 13, 2011

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

That turned out better than I expected. One Donar down, and the other slowed, with a further non-priority (but still important) mech target removed by a kick to the face. Losing the Black Knight is a downer, but the recovery roll should be in easy reach. Woo!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
You should all probably start focus firing, the Hunchback has to go guys. Otherwise good work.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Whelp, I guess my next orders are easy.

EDIT:

Also, I still maintain a strict 'zero fucks given' policy, but I would just like to point out...

Gothsheep posted:

Maybe I'll get head-shotted by the guys who aren't firing at the Starslayer or Flashman this round.

loving called it.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 13, 2011

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Foot spurs. The perfect new mech weapon for the next tech resource book, if these fights are any indication.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

Whelp, I guess my next orders are easy.

EDIT:

Also, I still maintain a strict 'zero fucks given' policy, but I would just like to point out...

loving called it.

your next orders are roll a 5+

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Chicken Slayer posted:

:wth:

Holy poo poo.

I request a picture of this historic event.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Did...did I just see a reappearance of the Justice Foot? That was awesome!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The justice foot gives no gently caress. Goons are going to win this sheit.

Don't be surprised if mean clanners decide to focus fire on you for being a turd next round. I'd move as far as I could and get in some cover.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I agree, that went much better than expected. The Gaussback is still up and the Black Knight is down, but the exchange was still very nicely in the player's favor. Y'all lucked out.

So revised advice:

King Crab: Turn the corner and advance towards the middle of the field - 1524 looks like a good place. Looks like you've got range 13 on the Hunchie from there, and I believe you have clean LOS between the hill and the building. If not, take some chunks out of that Bane.

Flashman: Careful, man, you're getting a little too far ahead of the rest. That said? Turn and head to 1815. If you're going to charge at their faces, do it whole hog. There's really no way you're not going to be eating both Gauss rounds this next turn. Positioning here means a range 0 unloading into F2, and then you can move up the hill next turn and force F4 to move out of that sniper nest. Also, making F2 eat a lot of laser and a foot is a good plan. (You are going to die)

Black Knight: The good news is that strict zell interpretation means that they won't blow you to tiny bits this turn. The bad news is that vehicles don't have to follow zell and they may have already declared you dezgra. The other good news is that if they have? You're probably going to soak ALL of the fire this turn and give everybody else a free go of it. You can be useful!

Exterminator: Jump to 0518. Destroy that last Donar. It's weak and slowed, but it still has a big range advantage. This also puts you into a good position to envelop and engage F5 next turn.

Lynx: Move to 2116. This makes you a less attractive target to F2 than the Flashman and lets you get a left side angle on F4. The Gaussback's left arm is nearly gone, so if you can break that off it's a short barrage 'til you crack the left torso open and pop the GR in there. Expect to be rattled by F1, it's going to try and critseek that open torso of yours.

Starslayer: Jump to 1718. You have range 4 on F2 and next turn can get a close engagement on F4. You'll have lousy shots this turn, so don't overheat and save up for next go.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

FLS-8K Flashman
<snip>
Critical Damage: Right Upper Leg Actuator Destroyed! Right Hip Actuator Destroyed!
<snip>

Missed something in the time warp!

Also foot was amazing. As a spectator with only the barest knowledge of the rules, it's still so much fun watching the Crabguard bumble around and score poo poo like that.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

inflatablefish posted:

Yessssss, that shirt must not be Lostech!

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The Donar is pretty hosed. It has moved at flank, which means it's Gunnery is now at 4 base+2*2 flank(due to the stabiliser hit)+2 interference, so any kind of target movement and/or range modifier means it won't hit jack. (In return, it's at a modifier of 4, so you're looking at 8+range+your own movement for any attempts to shoot it down.)

Also, yaaaay, Justice Foot. :neckbeard:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Defiance Industries posted:

Star League vintage Justice Foot?

NEXT LEVEL KICKING MANEUVER. That's smart.

I would like to point out that I created the justice foot in a star league mech.

And I'm very glad my tactic is now the official goon tactic!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
JUSTICE FOOOOOOT :black101:

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Well, they used them like they did in 1918.

I have a lot of sympathy for this sort of thing. It's REALLY difficult sometimes to see how to do something that is obvious with 20/20 hindsight. I suspect the problem is that you find a local maxima (for example with tanks as infantry support), and the changes to your entire force structure to find other maxima is pretty bloody difficult, particularly with the number of people that have to invest in any such decision.

The ironic thing about this, is that why the Germans did of course revolutionise warfare, where the US and Russian combined arms doctrine ended up certainly drew a lot from the orginal flawed infantry support doctrine.

Spergedit: I think another part of the problem is that wargames in the military training sense are really a product of the post vietnam era, so no really structured enviroment to try poo poo out in.
Oh dear.
Well you have to remember that the idea of the German "Blitzkrieg" being Panzers lolling all over France is bullshit. Panzer Divisions were special because they had dedicated tank support being the spearpoint and, get this, [i]organic infantry transport[i] elements. That's right! The thing that made Germany special in 1939 was someone listening to the dudes saying "hey guys, tanks are fast. Let's make our infantry able to keep up somehow, k?"

The problems with everyone else was that they A: distributed tank units around the entire line of engagement rather than using them as either mobile reserves (because of B) and B: tanks weren't fast enough to be mobile reserves (because of A). Combined arms wasn't that special the idea, the thing that made the Germans so successful was the simple application of effort on a concentrated point.

The worst part of it is that the early engagements showed this to be true, and then everyone ignored them because they were still determined to prove that the rifleman is king of the battlefield (which he is again today, but it's a different battlefield now).

The difference is pretty much the difference between trying to destroy a cliff using the sea and trying to do it with a Gauss rifle.

</sperge>

Someone remind me why I didn't study history in college?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Magni posted:

The Donar is pretty hosed. It has moved at flank, which means it's Gunnery is now at 4 base+2*2 flank(due to the stabiliser hit)+2 interference

No stabilizer hit. That was a typo, an artifact of the copy-pasta method I use to update my narrative from my combat and player status files.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Arquinsiel posted:

Someone remind me why I didn't study history in college?

You didn't want to be a teacher or you wanted a real job? :smug:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tempest_56 posted:

Flashman: Careful, man, you're getting a little too far ahead of the rest. That said? Turn and head to 1815. If you're going to charge at their faces, do it whole hog. There's really no way you're not going to be eating both Gauss rounds this next turn. Positioning here means a range 0 unloading into F2, and then you can move up the hill next turn and force F4 to move out of that sniper nest. Also, making F2 eat a lot of laser and a foot is a good plan. (You are going to die)

F2? F2?

I am heading to 1813 and unloading on the gaussback from short medium laser range :black101:

(quads can't twist iirc so F2 can't hit me without rear end lasers)

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

UberJew posted:

F2? F2?

I am heading to 1813 and unloading on the gaussback from short medium laser range :black101:

(quads can't twist iirc so F2 can't hit me without rear end lasers)

Unless he's got a. . . tailgunner

:rimshot:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

inflatablefish posted:

No matter how many time paradoxes occur, the Crabguard will still take a Clanner's head :black101:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Axe-man posted:

You didn't want to be a teacher or you wanted a real job? :smug:
Oh yes, now I remember.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

inflatablefish posted:

I do believe I have redeemed myself for my failure to eliminate the Guillotine in the previous battle.

I think I'll celebrate by lighting up that last Donar.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

PM me stats on that, and we'll see them used.

There will be a 3-month "fast forward" after this mission is over, putting us right at the beginning of Wave 3 of the Clan Invasion (we're skipping wave 2).

Sorry to dig this up from a few pages back, but is that 'according to plan' or was the time-skip a spontaneous decision? I just hope you're not getting burned out on this LP, especially after that probably frustrating annulled turn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gimmick Account posted:

Sorry to dig this up from a few pages back, but is that 'according to plan' or was the time-skip a spontaneous decision? I just hope you're not getting burned out on this LP, especially after that probably frustrating annulled turn.

According to plan.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Gimmick Account posted:

PTN doesn't get frustrated. He just becomes more devious.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Gimmick Account posted:

We'll know if he gets burned out on this LP, probably in the form of a trinary or two of Warhawk-Cs.:gibs:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I should feel bad about the constant one-shot decapitations plagueing the Hell's Horses, but it is kind of hard after the complete smearing of the ComGuard in the last scenario. I just hope that they will take a few Blakists with them in the following turns.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I haven't been playing Battletech all that long, but constant ridiculous headcapping seems to be entirely the norm in this game.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
One day, the players will encounter an enemy with edge. It will make them all cry.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

KnoxZone posted:

One day, the players will encounter an enemy with edge. It will make them all cry.

I've seen that put into practice. It doesn't work out so well except in the form of preventing freak headcaps and freak TACs. Which are nice, admittedly.

But when the Edge is being used to re-roll explosive rolls and an honest crit lands in a torso location with lots of explody things? You can burn through 12 Edge, easily, before you roll a non-explosive or no-effect critical hit.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I've seen that put into practice. It doesn't work out so well except in the form of preventing freak headcaps and freak TACs. Which are nice, admittedly.

But when the Edge is being used to re-roll explosive rolls and an honest crit lands in a torso location with lots of explody things? You can burn through 12 Edge, easily, before you roll a non-explosive or no-effect critical hit.

That's because of how Megamek handles Edge. Edge is actually usable to reroll anything.

Get hit by a gauss rifle when it only hits on an 11+? You can throw edge at the problem. someone rolls boxcars on a HAG/40 shot? Throw edge at it.

So on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

What is edge?

• Locked thread