Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
That's an interesting read. So apparently I'd be better off wearing a non-perf jacket then a perf one in 93 degree plus temps, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Gnaghi posted:

I've honestly felt let squiding it up a lot recently. My perf leather and leather lined cortechs are fine if I'm going 30+, but once I slow down or stop somewhere I start sweating like crazy. It heat itself doesn't really kill me, it's that I can't really go anywhere cause I'll get there red-faced and looking like I just finished jogging. I went to get a haircut the other day and the lady was literally giving me water and sponging my face. Then I see every other rider in shorts and shirts and think how much better they must be feeling.
:sigh:

There's honestly not much difference.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

After a certain temperature all bikes will start to roast you with engine heat alone. Once the tank and seat and all the other bits that touch your body get hot, comfort is basically out the window.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Gnaghi posted:

That's an interesting read. So apparently I'd be better off wearing a non-perf jacket then a perf one in 93 degree plus temps, huh.

I think it would depend a bit on what type of bike you had, and how effective your gear's venting is behind whatever fairing or windshield you may have. I wear mesh (which goes contrary to what the article says, I know), but I also have a huge fairing and windshield that I can hide behind when it's super hot. Without anything to block the wind, you need to better insulate yourself.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Gnaghi posted:

The article recommends you would wear wicking clothing like underarmor for more evaporate cooling. Sweating into leathers wont achieve that same cooling.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Raven457 posted:

I think it would depend a bit on what type of bike you had, and how effective your gear's venting is behind whatever fairing or windshield you may have. I wear mesh (which goes contrary to what the article says, I know), but I also have a huge fairing and windshield that I can hide behind when it's super hot. Without anything to block the wind, you need to better insulate yourself.

My Ninja doesn't pour too much heat on compared to the VFR I used to have. That thing was a goddamn killer.

Even with all the proper gear and wicking wear the article still says you're going to need an intake of cold water. A small tankbag/hydro-bladder filled with ice water would probably make a world of difference.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
A camelback filled with water and ice is a lifesaver, as is a full suit of wicking clothes. With underarmor while in my full leathers I am comfortable on the bike at up to around 100 degrees for street use, and up to 110 for track temps.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
It's true. I went on a long 4 day ride with a bunch of guys on touring and cruiser bikes. I was on my 250 Ninja. I wore full gear, perf jacket, riding pants, full face helmet, plus an underarmor shirt. They were wearing mostly t-shirt and jeans with open face helmets. I stayed cool the whole time...well except when we stopped to take a break. They were burning up, hence the stopping a lot. I might have to look into that wicking hoodie.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Gnaghi posted:

Assuming it's got decent venting, then yes, though I think a perforated jacket is probably ideal. You get the slowed airflow across a larger area of the body. As long as I'm at highway speed, I definitely feel cooler wearing perf leather in 100F weather than in my mesh jacket.

OTOH, in the mesh I arrive wherever I'm going without being drenched in sweat, since the wind dries it out. So it's a mesh jacket on my 15 minute commute to work.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Great article, thank you for linking that.

Yesterday I checked the temp before I headed home...104.4, feels like 112. I was actually pretty comfortable in my Olympia one piece textile suit. Ran a few errands and wasn't actually that sweaty by the time I got home.

I haven't tried my underarmor wicking shirt/pants with the textile stuff yet but it works great with my leathers and dirt riding gear.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 12, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

OTOH, in the mesh I arrive wherever I'm going without being drenched in sweat, since the wind dries it out. So it's a mesh jacket on my 15 minute commute to work.

This is pretty much the crux of it for me. If I'm just going out for a ride on my own for fun I don't care if I come home sweaty, I'd rather be comfortable while I'm out riding. I'll gladly wear the windblocking stuff in that situation.
If I'm commuting in to work or going out with friends, it's mesh or nothing every time. I'll take a few rungs up the risk ladder in order to not be "that guy".

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I saw a sweet setup once - a guy had a vest with veins that cold water flowed through. He kept the pump and reservoir surrounded by ice in a saddle bag. Looks like it would have worked well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

hayden. posted:

I saw a sweet setup once - a guy had a vest with veins that cold water flowed through. He kept the pump and reservoir surrounded by ice in a saddle bag. Looks like it would have worked well.

http://www.coolshirt.net/motorcycle-cool-bag.html sells a setup that includes a cooler, shirt and circulation pump. Can't decide if $450 is too much to stay cool in the summer when I think about how much I paid for all my heated gear.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

hayden. posted:

Sounds like a sweet setup for riding around Arrakis.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

hayden. posted:

Developed for our Soldiers in Iraq.

How says the war doesn't have civilian dividends?

http://peosoldier.armylive.dodlive.mil/2010/10/19/mcs/

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

You've worn a stillsuit before?

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Doctor Zero posted:

Don't forget your icon chest protector for those drat sandworms.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Gnaghi posted:

You've worn a stillsuit before?

Just seemed the proper way to do it. :smug:

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Doctor Zero posted:

Just seemed the proper way to do it. :smug:

and he shall know your ways as if he was born to them. :smugbert:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

It's getting reeeeal nerdy up in here.

I got the joke. :(

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

frozenphil posted:

It's getting reeeeal nerdy up in here.

I got the joke. :(

Go...hence...with diligence! To the questions forum that is, where it be equally nerdy up in there :)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
One of the directors at work saw me in my moto gear and said we should race sometime. I literally laughed out loud at the thought of his Harley going against my R6. I asked him if it was his bike outside with the novelty skid lid. He then proceeded to tell me how he had to "lay er down" when he hit some gravel and was going to slide over an embankment. His son went flying off the back and he broke two ribs but he was wearing his skid lid and by golly that's all he needs. :psyduck:

Uh... Yeah.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

Crayvex posted:

One of the directors at work saw me in my moto gear and said we should race sometime. I literally laughed out loud at the thought of his Harley going against my R6. I asked him if it was his bike outside with the novelty skid lid. He then proceeded to tell me how he had to "lay er down" when he hit some gravel and was going to slide over an embankment. His son went flying off the back and he broke two ribs but he was wearing his skid lid and by golly that's all he needs. :psyduck:

Uh... Yeah.
sounds like it was the gravel that laid it down for him. I feel bad for his son, it has to be terrifying sitting on the back of a machine wearing probably no gear and knowing full well the operator believes crashing is a perfectly acceptable course of action.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SaucyPants posted:

sounds like it was the gravel that laid it down for him. I feel bad for his son, it has to be terrifying sitting on the back of a machine wearing probably no gear and knowing full well the operator believes crashing is a perfectly acceptable course of action.

The first rule of riding a motorcycle is that everyone who says they "laid it down because they hit some gravel" is full of poo poo. If you use proper riding technique, the bike will wiggle a bit when it hits gravel but it won't just fall over. If you shut the throttle off, if you apply brakes when you hit gravel, it's a different story. But chances are this guy saw a patch of gravel, panicked, slammed on the brakes, and down he went. And the guy clearly didn't lay it down because of the gravel because he laid it down after the fact to avoid sliding over the embankment.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

Z3n posted:

The first rule of riding a motorcycle is that everyone who says they "laid it down because they hit some gravel" is full of poo poo. If you use proper riding technique, the bike will wiggle a bit when it hits gravel but it won't just fall over. If you shut the throttle off, if you apply brakes when you hit gravel, it's a different story. But chances are this guy saw a patch of gravel, panicked, slammed on the brakes, and down he went. And the guy clearly didn't lay it down because of the gravel because he laid it down after the fact to avoid sliding over the embankment.

the first day I ever had a motorcycle I dumped it from slamming on the rear brake on a patch of gravel. I ride on gravel roads at least once a week on my ninja. The point of my post though was basically to say what you did. The guy clearly laid it down because he didn't know how to ride.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SaucyPants posted:

the first day I ever had a motorcycle I dumped it from slamming on the rear brake on a patch of gravel. I ride on gravel roads at least once a week on my ninja. The point of my post though was basically to say what you did. The guy clearly laid it down because he didn't know how to ride.

My bad. I just really hate the attitude that pops up that any gravel is effectively instant motorcycle death. People make such a big deal out of it that it builds up this fear response and causes people to shut off the throttle when they see gravel and crash as a result. If they wouldn't shut off the throttle, if they'd just stay even on the gas, they could cruise right through it with a couple of minor wiggles, no problem.

gently caress, there was a guy on BARF who blamed a crash of his on chewing gum he found in the road. :saddowns:

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

Z3n posted:

gently caress, there was a guy on BARF who blamed a crash of his on chewing gum he found in the road. :saddowns:

I'd like to hear this story.

and if it makes you feel better I hate a lot of motorcycle attitudes usually the ones that are all about " the look" or ones that are just plain dumb ie: layin'her down.Gravel can be kind of fun once you get used to it. Though there are some people who after seeing my bike on dirt/gravel that think I am crazy

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SaucyPants posted:

I'd like to hear this story.

and if it makes you feel better I hate a lot of motorcycle attitudes usually the ones that are all about " the look" or ones that are just plain dumb ie: layin'her down.Gravel can be kind of fun once you get used to it. Though there are some people who after seeing my bike on dirt/gravel that think I am crazy

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310159

Incidentally neatly bringing this thread back on track!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Crayvex posted:

Uh... Yeah.

Child dies in horrific vehicular fireball...that story, after a word from Yamaha, now offering 3.9% 15-year financing on all buddy packs during the Time To Ride Sales Event. We'll be right back after these messages.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310159

Incidentally neatly bringing this thread back on track!

Watch where you spit your gum people. :argh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Z3n posted:

My bad. I just really hate the attitude that pops up that any gravel is effectively instant motorcycle death. People make such a big deal out of it that it builds up this fear response and causes people to shut off the throttle when they see gravel and crash as a result. If they wouldn't shut off the throttle, if they'd just stay even on the gas, they could cruise right through it with a couple of minor wiggles, no problem.

I hit a patch of gravel in a corner the other day and even though I didn't crash, it was definitely more dramatic than a couple of minor wiggles.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I hit a patch of gravel in a corner the other day and even though I didn't crash, it was definitely more dramatic than a couple of minor wiggles.

I hit a bunch of something a while back mid corner and it scared the absolute poo poo out of me. Definitely more than a little wiggle too.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
I hit a jetpatched repair mid corner on a right hander. While the bike felt like it shifted about a foot to the left, in reality it probably only wiggled a few inches. Still unnerving though

Sadly jetpatching and stone chipping surface dressing is becoming the norm over here to 'save money'. For a week or two after a section of road has been repaired or resurfaced there will be piles of gravel/stone chips everywhere. A few weeks later the brand new surface has been worn through to the old surface creating nice little craters.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I hate that poo poo too. Even if I drive my car through it, there's a very high probability of stone chips.

It doesn't even work a tenth as good as real asphalt, why the gently caress do they keep using it?

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
I have no idea. I don't see how it saves money as it doesn't last anywhere near as long as doing the job properly. So the roads end up in an endless cycle of resurfacing. Even when its finished properly it's an awful road surface and isn't smooth at all.

Whats worse is that they just put a fresh stone chip surface over the top of the old one without prepping the old surface at all. Making a bumpy road even more bumpy. :(

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Pinny posted:

I have no idea. I don't see how it saves money as it doesn't last anywhere near as long as doing the job properly. So the roads end up in an endless cycle of resurfacing. Even when its finished properly it's an awful road surface and isn't smooth at all.

Whats worse is that they just put a fresh stone chip surface over the top of the old one without prepping the old surface at all. Making a bumpy road even more bumpy. :(

Read the Traffic Engineer thread. Not only does it make for a fascinating read, but it exposes a lot of the problems with how our governments are run. If there is a traffic problem, and they can spend $50 million and fix it for 5 years, or $75 million and fix it for 20... They always pick the $50 million and just spend the $50 million again in 5 years.

I imagine that the current budgets and deficits make things even harder.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Oddly enough my local highways are always getting resurfaced even when the pavement is perfectly fine. I heard it's cause of deals with the mafia. :ninja:

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

Gnaghi posted:

Oddly enough my local highways are always getting resurfaced even when the pavement is perfectly fine. I heard it's cause of deals with the mafia. :ninja:

While that's possible, it's more likely that they're being smart by doing quick, cheap fixes which greatly extend the life of the road. By the time the road has deteriorated enough to look bad to the average driver, it's no longer a cheap fix, and any repairs like tar snakes and filling potholes only delay the inevitable. Once cracks are obvious, the base layers are severely damaged and will only get worse. And some of the quick fixes are nothing more than "Look at me: I spent $X fixing the roads, re-elect me!" Though up here in Michigan, it's a loosing battle because there isn't enough money for even the quick fixes so everything is deteriorating very quickly. Makes me wonder what's going to happen when every road requires full-depth rebuilding, and how long it'll take us to be able to afford it...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Aargh posted:

I hit a bunch of something a while back mid corner and it scared the absolute poo poo out of me. Definitely more than a little wiggle too.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have said "minor wiggles". I should have said "the bike may move around, but the total effect of the gravel on your line will be minor".

Keith Code wrote an article awhile back for Motorcyclist where he did some testing using his bike with outriggers. He had the rider ride through a large patch of gravel at about 40mph at increasing degrees of lean until they crashed, in a few different configurations. What they discovered is that up to about 35 degrees, there will be a very minor amount of change to your line as a result of hitting gravel, as long as you stay on the gas. If you shut the throttle off, it's possible to crash at as low as 10 degrees of lean. I'd love to find the article, I'll see if I can dig it up.

The point here is to show that it's not the gravel that interferes with the line of the bike and a safe route through a turn. It's the rider's reaction to seeing gravel that causes issues. While it is true that it's best to go through patches of compromised traction as upright as possible, people will overdo it and run off rather than carry a small amount of lean through the gravel and turn in sharply once they regain traction.

It's the mindset and the endless stories of "I hit gravel and crashed" that cause this sort of knee jerk "gravel => crash" reaction, and the truth is that gravel generally isn't a big deal as long as you have the correct reactions ingrained. Just like new riders have to be trained not to grab at the brakes when something unexpected happens, riders should be aware that staying on the throttle, getting the bike upright as possible and then snapping it back over once you're back on good pavement is the ideal way to handle gravel or liquid in the road. As long as your wheels have traction, no matter how bad the headshake or movement of the bike under you is, you will still be able to turn the bike. Turning while traction is compromised is a bad idea, but turning while the bike is moving around is perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
MY first wreck when I first got my bike was on gravel. Swerved around some dumb who pulled out in front of me, hit gravel and slid into the curb tossing me off the bike. Maybe had I been riding for longer I could have pulled it off, but it all happened so fast it was "swerve... wut?... lying on ground."

also chewing gum guy is awesome.

• Locked thread