Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
In this situation it would never have been a case of "oh what a twist!". If Miura had done everything exactly the same except for mentioning Femto was Griffith at the beginning I think it would have been slightly better.
You were always going to realise that Griffith would become Femto because of the crimson behelit, the fact that Guts was so close to Griffith and Griffith's deal with destiny etc. It just would have been more gradual and satisfying rather than an in your face payoff at the very beginning.

I'm sure the reason Miura did it was to suck in readers at the beginning to lessen the chances of getting cancelled. He's great at storytelling but it really would have been in his best interest. Zetman did exactly the same thing with just a couple of pages at the very start.

U-DO Burger posted:

By contrast, the first arc in the manga sets the story up by showing you what Griffith was going to become.

The starting arc was definitely important, it just didn't need to flat out state Femto is this guy called Griffith who used to be friends with Guts. We were going to find that out anyway along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

canned_fruit posted:

The starting arc was definitely important, it just didn't need to flat out state Femto is this guy called Griffith who used to be friends with Guts. We were going to find that out anyway along the way.

So? It doesn't mean that giving the information before hand wasn't important. It deliberately colored your perspective of the following arc. Griffith is easy to like, but it's a restless thing since you know poo poo is going to hit the fan, and you know he'll be at the center of it. So you naturally distrust him while reading it, which makes following his interactions with Guts all the more interesting.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
People are just obsessive about anything that can be seen as a spoiler because they want MAXIMUM ENTERTAINMENT from a story. A story's premise should be compelling enough that you don't need spoilers to generate interest. But a story should be compelling enough in itself that spoilers don't ruin the experience. Everyone knows how Romeo and Juilet ends but its still well worth reading. You can't live and die by individual plot points and Berserk is bigger than Griffith becomes Femto. Hell, if you are reading this, the story is still going to be awesome regardless if you knew that Griffith becomes Femto.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Berserk: Maximum Entertainment

One of the remarkable things about this series is the fact that the early Griffith/Femto reveal doesn't stop you from being shocked by the magnitude of the betrayal. The relationship between Guts and Griffith is well developed enough that it's easy to forget that it will end badly. This makes the eclipse a monumental plot point, even though the reader knows that something bad is coming up.

A well crafted twist doesn't need to be a surprise.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah Griffith being spoiled as Femto isn't a huge deal because it is basically impossible to know just how loving bad the Eclipse is going to be beforehand.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Zorak posted:

... and then we're introduced to their beginning: a young man who knows only battle but is actually very fragile and lonely, and a young men who seeks ambition only to improve people's lives. And then it all falls apart at the crucial moment, orchestrated in the grand tragedy of events. The fact that these events are thematically ordained within the story itself with the specific effect of creating Femto makes the writing all the much better in that regard. It's deliberately poetic internally.

People give Miura poo poo about his frequent brakes as of late, but the man can loving draw and write. He's extremely good with narrative pacing.

I know I've posted this before, but one unique thing the golden age arc has going for it is that the structure was like a film noir. Film Noirs often had the structure of a tragedy, in that the story starts often near the end, and we see the story play out as mostly a flashback.(Double Indemnity being a perfect example of this.) The golden age arc had the same structure, and it adds a lot of tension, as you try and figure out how the characters are going to get where they are going to.

KoB
May 1, 2009
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-07-12/berserk-golden-age-arc-to-be-made-into-3-anime-films

quote:

Berserk's Golden Age Arc to Be Made Into 3 Anime Films
posted on 2011-07-12 04:00 EDT
Kentaro Miura's design for publicity character Clara de Porras revealed

The previously announced Berserk anime film project will retell the Golden Age arc of Kentaro Miura's manga in three parts. The title of the first part, Berserk Ōgon Jidai-Hen I: Haō no Tamago (Berserk Golden Age Arc I: Egg of the Supreme Ruler), was revealed last week. The first film will open in Japan next January.

Miura also designed Clara de Porras, the new "publicity" character that serves as the public face of the film project's Twitter account and other promotional activities. The design was unveiled on Tuesday, and Comic Natalie and Mantan Web are among the websites that posted it.

Sources: Comic Natalie, Mainichi Shimbun's Mantan Web

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
By publicity character I hope they just mean their company's glorified news avatar.

Three films for the Golden Age arc alone is amazing, it means we are more or less going to get a complete adaptation. And now I'm hoping they do the whole prologue.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So... that means the movies will be done sometime after the heat death of the universe.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, it gives me something to look forward to over the next few decades.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
On the other hand, I'm pretty sure stuff like this adds a level of tension to Miura that he has to keep pushing ahead, which is good.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Zorak posted:

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure stuff like this adds a level of tension to Miura that he has to keep pushing ahead, which is good.

This would be the same hope people have for an external driving force against GRRM's insistence to finish his super-series on his own time.

Two drawn out sagas with TV/movie deals and contractual timelines. The fantasy world will implode under the collective hope of semi-regular release schedules.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is Miura an extremely obese old man who could likely die at any second climbing up the stairs in his house though?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I know they both write about "edgy" "rapes" but can we please not talk about "the GRRM" here it makes me very uncomfortable. I know it's not what you're looking for but may I recommend the A Song of Ice and Fire thread in the Book Barn :ohdear:

Jose posted:

Is Miura an extremely obese old man who could likely die at any second climbing up the stairs in his house though?
He's more liable to wear his hands down to bloody nubs while drawing, screaming at his assistants to get him more coffee and also ink this page needs more squiggly details.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Jose posted:

Oh, right, the Robert Jordan effect. Gordon R. Dickson and the Dorsai Cycle too :argh:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of Song of Ice and Fire I just got the fifth book today. So YAY!

But yeah, Miura just turned 45. Even considering how hard he works he's nowhere near to GRRM as far as risk of death goes. Hopefully. I hope he eats his vegetables.

But anyway I know the series of movies is going to be finished. I know this because earlier this summer I discovered a small wormhole underneath my desk. Apparently it leads to the future and spits out future-y things occasionally. So far I've gotten a cool pair of laser sunglasses, a pen that works in zero-gravity (haven't gotten the chance to see if it actually works yet) and a book about the financial crisis of 2017 (hint: the CEO of Chase Bank isn't who he says he is). But this is the first time something Berserk-related has come out. I'm guessing it's a long-form poster for what I believe to be the FINAL Berserk movie. Unfortunately I can't read Japanese so I have no idea what it says. I post it here for your enjoyment. Spoilers though, clearly.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 13, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You can't link to imageshack from SA, use imgur or tinypic.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ccs posted:

a pen that works in zero-gravity (haven't gotten the chance to see if it actually works yet)

We already have those.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Considering how many decades we have been regularly sending people into space, it would be incredibly strange if no one had designed such a pen.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
I wouldn't compare ASOIAF to Berserk. It is a lot more soapy.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Nesetril posted:

True, though soapyness in ASOIAF is handled well. The First Law is probably written most like what Berserk would be if it was a series of novels, as Logen Ninefingers is sort of similar to Guts.

Of course one of the strengths of Gut's character is that so much of what he's thinking is hidden. His face demonstrates some of it, but he's much smarter than what you'd expect a muscled berserker type to be.

quote:

quote:

a pen that works in zero-gravity (haven't gotten the chance to see if it actually works yet)

We already have those.

Well apparently they still make them in the future.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

KoB posted:

We already have those.

Yeah its called a pencil :downsrim:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So I finally got around to reading through this series. Good stuff though some of the rape scenes seem a bit gratuitous. I then decided to read through the thread and came across this exchange from 2008.

Diabetic posted:

Elentor posted:

Leonard Leroy posted:

I left this manga alone for 2 years or so, and came back thinking that caska would be healed, and they would have met the fairy king by then.

Hahahahahahaha.

:(

You know what, I'm coming back on 2010. Hopefully caska will be healed by then.
They've been trying to get a boat for over a year now, at best they'll be halfway to Elf-land fighting random krakens.

What the gently caress have I gotten myself into.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 13, 2011

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jose posted:

Yeah its called a pencil :downsrim:

They don't use those in space. The graphite can break and mess things up.:eng101:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Anani Masu posted:

A glorious adventure.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Anani Masu posted:

Welcome to the sweet, sweet suffering that is Berserk.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Nesetril posted:

I wasn't comparing content, I was comparing years since the series started and constant delays in release.

To that, they are similar.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
A teaser trailer

About as long as those commercials that advertised the new manga volume

Not sure about all that CG, but eh

insaine
Aug 29, 2006
Looks pretty sweet, also there is a bit with Guts with the dragonslayer/post eclipse gear, hopefully that means we get some form of the intro stuff.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

A teaser trailer

Christ that looks awesome.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

A teaser trailer

About as long as those commercials that advertised the new manga volume

Not sure about all that CG, but eh

Looks loving awesome.

Bad CG is just a reality of new anime movies though. I dunno. The rest of it makes up for it completely. After the new eva movies, which are loving gorgeous and have loving awful cg people like berserk, it's just something you gotta accept I suppose.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

DamnGlitch posted:

Looks loving awesome.

Bad CG is just a reality of new anime movies though. I dunno. The rest of it makes up for it completely. After the new eva movies, which are loving gorgeous and have loving awful cg people like berserk, it's just something you gotta accept I suppose.

Anime? It's the standard to animate extras and background elements with canned animation all over. The amount of money saved trumps the awkwardness.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
So is this like a re-do of the original anime that was released? Are they going to have another part (or more) showing the later arcs (post-eclipse)?

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby

hog wizard posted:

So is this like a re-do of the original anime that was released? Are they going to have another part (or more) showing the later arcs (post-eclipse)?

I believe the plan right now is to have the 3 movies covering the Golden Age, then continue with the rest of the story in some form. Whether the continuation will be standard episodes, more movies, or OVAs is still unknown, I think.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

The amount of money saved trumps the awkwardness.

Well apparently.

I don't like it but I can live with it. Like I said it's just a reality.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

U-DO Burger posted:

Not to mention that the Berserk anime did a terrible job of foreshadowing. Almost all of the supernatural stuff was cut, so when Griffith turned into Femto, I was not thinking about how shocking this turn of events was. I was thinking "Why is this even happening? There was nothing in the previous story that indicated that something like this was going to happen at all." It all felt pretty stupid.

Is this where the "LAST EPISODE OF BERSERK WTF :psyduck: " comes from?

I read the manga first and even though I had the Eclipse spoiled for me, I could still see it coming a mile away. I've never sat through more than a couple of episodes of the anime, it was just so poor compared to the source.

I can imagine the Eclipse coming outta nowhere probably blew the minds of a few 14-year-old anime fans back in the day.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hatter106 posted:

Is this where the "LAST EPISODE OF BERSERK WTF :psyduck: " comes from?

I read the manga first and even though I had the Eclipse spoiled for me, I could still see it coming a mile away. I've never sat through more than a couple of episodes of the anime, it was just so poor compared to the source.

I can imagine the Eclipse coming outta nowhere probably blew the minds of a few 14-year-old anime fans back in the day.

Everyone spoils it. Not what happens just that it's a terrible ending. So I was like "welp I guess that's pretty bad as bad endings go, but at least it leaves it open for a sequel"

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
That trailer looks awful and is a mishmash of different animation techniques. Hell poo poo looks wierd with the proportions too.

At least the original had a old timey look and feel to it which mirrored the universe.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

My but Isma certainly has increased the level of underaged nudity in my nice, wholesome manga about genocide, rape, orgies, incestuous nobles, and man eating abominations against god. Will Berserk become another casualty of the next great ADTRW Pedo Purge, ending with Zorak being forced to turn his gun on himself? Find out next time on more TALES OF INTERNET!

Also:
We will always carry you on in our hearts, silly tentacle pirates. :smithfrog:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
It's been six or seven years since I've seen the anime, but I don't feel that lack of foreshadowing is the real problem that people have with the ending.

While it is true that a lot of the supernatural elements were downplayed, they were far from absent. Two apostles were included in the show, prior to the eclipse. If Nosferatu Zodd and Cobra Commander could exist, then why shouldn't there be others? The show also included the behelit, which came with at least two prophecies. The first was relayed to the audience by Griffith, after the playful, homoerotic water fight. The second came from Zodd, after he got tired of slapping Guts and Griffith around. Both of these pointed toward some bad poo poo going down eventually. There was plenty of reason to expect an unpleasant ending to the story.

I think that most people aren't willing to admit that their real problem with the ending was how shocked they were by it. The betrayal, and violence, and death, and rape were all quite a bit worse than anything that we'd seen up to that point. These things were happening to characters that we'd grown to care about, and that made it even worse.

A lot of the time, it's easier to say, "that makes no sense", than it is to say, "that was too horrible for me to accept".