Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

noapparentfunction posted:

I'm on Sprint and good for an upgrade so I'm diving headfirst into Android for the first time. The Nexus S is grabbing my attention because it's stock Android (first to get updates), nice specs, and it's on sale for $99. It even has that weird NFC stuff I'd be interested in tinkering with. I think this is the one I want.

Is there any good reason I shouldn't buy this and opt for one of Sprint's steroid-addled megaphones instead?

I chose the EVO 3D over the Nexus S because of the better specs, plain and simple. Higher resolution larger screen, more RAM, dual core, all of it. I decided I wanted the most current, futureproof option available at the time.

My girlfriend picked up the Nexus S, and I'll still say I really like it. If it appeals to you, go for it. You're not saving hardly anything by paying $100 less for the hardware up front, so keep that in mind. Over the life of the device (if you keep it until your next upgrade), you're paying the same month to month for either one.

The Nexus is much nicer to hold, has a very nice screen (though the Pentile matrix bugs me), and does just about everything the EVO 3D does, with the exception of the 3D photos/videos. Once dual core phones are the norm in a year or so, though, it may start to show its age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Does anyone have any issues with their Evo 3D's touchscreen being hypersensitive? I feel like it registers my touch before my finger actually hits the screen sometimes.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Get the Nexus S.

Yes the Evo 3D has better hardware in nearly every aspect. However it's big (4.3"), runs Sense, isn't fully rootable yet, might take some time (a few months?) to get a daily-driving AOSP ROM, and lacks NFC. So while it's an absolutely awesome device, it's not a great fit for you.

Physically, it's barely bigger than the Nexus One, which is smaller than a Nexus S. Running Sense is no longer a negative thing, especially with the ability to install a third-party launcher and/or themes built in. No one's going to use NFC, no one else is making phones with it and no one else cares.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

big mean giraffe posted:

Physically, it's barely bigger than the Nexus One, which is smaller than a Nexus S. Running Sense is no longer a negative thing, especially with the ability to install a third-party launcher and/or themes built in. No one's going to use NFC, no one else is making phones with it and no one else cares.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sprint Galaxy SII is released with NFC, and it's pretty certain that the Nexus 3 will have it. Even if you don't live in SF or NYC you should eventually get a chance to use Google Wallet, which will be awesome.

I'm not sure you can say NFC won't take off... it took a few years for PayPass to become pervasive, but now I see/use it everywhere (well, CVS & gas stations anyway), and Google should be able to work with the existing infrastructure.

Beyond that, SAMOLED on the Nexus S looks better than SLCD on the EVO 3D, even if it is higher resolution.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

big mean giraffe posted:

Physically, it's barely bigger than the Nexus One, which is smaller than a Nexus S.

No matter how slight holding the EVO or EVO 3D vs the Nexus S in your hand you can tell the difference easily. So I can understand why it is important to him.

pragan4 posted:

Beyond that, SAMOLED on the Nexus S looks better than SLCD on the EVO 3D, even if it is higher resolution.

Not so sure about that. It is close, but I'm not sure. That said I have a friend with a HTC Sensation and it looks better than the EVO 3D screen. I guess it is because of the 3D screen since they are both qHD? Of course I am very curious to see the SAMOLED HD screen that should be on the Nexus Prime/3/ICS.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 14, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

pragan4 posted:

This is pretty subjective, honestly. Yes, the blacks are really great on the Nexus S screen, but that pentile... Blech.

And yeah, physically the two phones are very close to the same size yet the NS feels incredibly better in the hand than the EVO 3D.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I really hate the position and design of the camera button and 2D/3D switch on the EVO 3D.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Stunt Rock posted:

I really hate the position and design of the camera button and 2D/3D switch on the EVO 3D.

Pretty much the only real bitch my wife has had about her EVO 3D (outside she was pissed it didn't have a kickstand like my EVO). At first she was like cool, but now she hates it.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
If you get a case, I have found the camera button and 3d toggle to be far less noticeable, in addition to better protecting the cameras on the back by keeping them just slightly elevated from the surface when you put the phone down. I know it sounds counterintuitive on a phone of the size, but that extra 1/2-1mm really helps (it also keeps me from accidentally hitting the capacitive buttons as frequently)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

big mean giraffe posted:

Running Sense is no longer a negative thing, especially with the ability to install a third-party launcher and/or themes built in.
Running Sense is a negative for anyone who just doesn't want to run Sense. Also, there's a very real chance that the ICS update will hit the Nexus S before the Evo 3D.

big mean giraffe posted:

No one's going to use NFC, no one else is making phones with it and no one else cares.
But he specifically wants a phone with NFC. I wouldn't recommend, mention, consider, or even think about it it if he didn't ask for it.

We get it, the Evo 3D is a fantastic loving phone. But it's not the right phone for him. No amount of pretending is going to change that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nate fisher posted:

So a thinner phone with dual core? Simple get the SGSII when it comes out (rumor is very soon).
It's not that simple. Samsung has yet to prove that it can deliver on a solid, relatively bug free CDMA device with timely updates. The Within certainly will deliver on the hardware, but the software and support is a big liability right now.

To be honest, I feel that by the time we have a solid answer on the Within (first impressions tend not to shake this poo poo out), one might as well wait for Nexus ICS.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

nate fisher posted:

Pretty much the only real bitch my wife has had about her EVO 3D (outside she was pissed it didn't have a kickstand like my EVO). At first she was like cool, but now she hates it.

Also the button is really wiggly and is the only flimsy part of the device. Other than that, my complaints are few.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

traveling midget posted:

Does anyone have any issues with their Evo 3D's touchscreen being hypersensitive? I feel like it registers my touch before my finger actually hits the screen sometimes.

Mine does this, too.

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002
I hate the the charging port is on the side and not the bottom

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

fuzzi posted:

I just noticed that the kickstand case for the evo 3d blocks the charing port. Hahaha.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

TLG James posted:

I just noticed that the kickstand case for the evo 3d blocks the charing port. Hahaha.

The official HTC one doesn't.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

big mean giraffe posted:

The official HTC one doesn't.

Yeah, but some apps don't rotate that way, i.e. Netflix.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

fuzzi posted:

It's on the side to accommodate a landscape mode dock, since 3D content should be viewed in landscape orientation.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Jeratain posted:

If you like that, check this one out. It's essentially the same as Slate 3D but adds some transparency: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1168270

I tried that and essentially between the two, it looks like it's just "do you want your bottom bar to be transparent or not". I can't seem to see any other differences between the themes.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

a shameful boehner posted:

I tried that and essentially between the two, it looks like it's just "do you want your bottom bar to be transparent or not". I can't seem to see any other differences between the themes.
Exactly. I like the transparency myself. :)

Also, apparently the lock screen's circle can be tweaked. We'll probably see new skins for that soon.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I don't suppose that there's anyway to have the calendar import Facebook events but not birthdays from Facebook? My calendar is currently full of birthdays that I don't care about.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mnemosyne posted:

I don't suppose that there's anyway to have the calendar import Facebook events but not birthdays from Facebook? My calendar is currently full of birthdays that I don't care about.

The workaround I found is to set up your google calendar to autoimport your facebook events, and sync it to the phone that way.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

I think I should also point out that the battery life on the EVO 3D is also atrocious.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Stunt Rock posted:

I think I should also point out that the battery life on the EVO 3D is also atrocious.

My battery life has been pretty awesome so far, but I'm coming from a Pre, so my standards might be kind of low. I even forgot to plug my 3D in one night, and when I woke up the next day, it was still hanging on. It had gone into PowerSave mode, but my Pre was always dead if I forgot to plug it in.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Stunt Rock posted:

I keep EVERYTHING on all day, play games on the subway, and don't ever worry about battery life. YMMV.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

traveling midget posted:

I keep EVERYTHING on all day, play games on the subway, and don't ever worry about battery life. YMMV.

Unplugged phone at 10 am. Phone nearly dead at 7pm. Moderate usage, almost no phone time. I do expect it to improve though.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Stunt Rock posted:

Unplugged phone at 10 am. Phone nearly dead at 7pm. Moderate usage, almost no phone time. I do expect it to improve though.

14 hours on, 28% battery, 3% TWS, Robotek HD, 15min on the phone, and internet browsing all day

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

This is not normal, but it's not the phone since you can see there are plenty of people without issues. There are several things it could be:
1. Crappy reception wherever you are most of the day
2. You have an app polling a server every few minutes
3. You have an app that doesn't sleep properly in the background
4. You run an auto task killer for some reason
5. You actually have a faulty phone or battery

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Stunt Rock posted:

If you just got it, then yes the battery life will be atrocious for the first couple of days.

noapparentfunction
Apr 27, 2006

spin that 45 funk.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Running Sense is a negative for anyone who just doesn't want to run Sense. Also, there's a very real chance that the ICS update will hit the Nexus S before the Evo 3D.

But he specifically wants a phone with NFC. I wouldn't recommend, mention, consider, or even think about it it if he didn't ask for it.

We get it, the Evo 3D is a fantastic loving phone. But it's not the right phone for him. No amount of pretending is going to change that.

There was a lot of good information in this thread and I'm glad I got so many opinions, it helped me decide what was important to me in a phone. I purchased the Nexus S today.

So far it's incredible. I'm a Palm Refugee as of today. webOS, after two painful years, is still on the runway, pilot is loving drunk and there was a fat, malodorous dude sitting next to me blocking the aisle. I'm not new to phones nor technology but I am totally new to Android. What are general the must-have apps to get me started?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

I found the EVO 3d to have awful battery life - at first. I don't know if it was me adjusting my habits, or installing juice defender, but it has gotten a lot better as long as I get decent signal.

That said, I look at the battery meter, in particular awake time, and something wakes the phone at something like a 5 or 15 minute interval. I have no idea what it is or how to find out. I've checked all the sync settings I can find - they're all set to either manual or 1 hour+.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

noapparentfunction posted:

I'm not new to phones nor technology but I am totally new to Android. What are general the must-have apps to get me started?

I'm a fellow Palm refugee who just got an Android phone a week ago. I found this to be a good place to start:
http://lifehacker.com/5616299/lifehacker-pack-for-android-our-list-of-the-best-android-apps (you don't need all of them, but it's a nice sampling of good apps that do the things that most people want).

I think my top two so far would be Swype (which was pre-installed on the Evo 3D) and Google Goggles. Everyone can probably use some kind of barcode scanner, and Goggles does barcode scanning + a whole lot of other cool stuff.

I'd also recommend downloading the Amazon Appstore, which is an app that lets you download apps from Amazon. This is useful because Amazon will give you one paid app for free each day (the featured app, not an app of your choice), so it's a nice way to get a lot of free apps which aren't usually free.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Stunt Rock posted:

18 hours off the charger with fairly light use and I'm still at 60%. Even with moderate to heavy use I've never gotten it below 20% before it goes back on the charger when I go to bed.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I took the Evo 3D off the charger at 8am when I left the house, used bluetooth to play mp3s in the car on the way to work, made one 2 minute call, had 50% battery life by 10am. The phone bricked itself a day later though, so it could be a fluke.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
While the EVO 3D doesn't have great battery life (what phone with a 4.3 screen does), it is still pretty good. When comparing my EVO to my wife's EVO 3D it is not even close. It seems like she gets at least twice as much battery life than I do with my EVO. Honestly it should be the number 1 reason for someone to switch from a EVO to the EVO 3D. I would myself if I didn't want something else down the road this year.

To be clear we don't use 4G or WIFI hardly at all.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Yeah my battery life on the 3D has been nothing short of stupendous, especially coming from a Pre. Almost reminds me of the battery life I was getting on a Centro.

Unplugged the phone at 6:45 yesterday morning, the phone was under *heavy* usage all day (4G browsing, some psx emulation, read about 50% of A Dance with Dragons, etc), and the phone still easily made it through the day.

I think it was at 6% when I finally plugged it in for the night at about 11.

I convinced my mom to get one, and she's literally making it through two days before having to charge it. Blew my loving mind when she told me.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Ditto on the great battery life. I checked mine last night and it had been off the charger for 9 hours and I had 60% left. And thats after talking multiple times on the phone, texting a crap load, my kid playing the spiderman game. There really is no comparison between the Evo and the Evo 3d. The Evo 3d hands down has so much more battery life than my old Evo it's not even funny.

OptimusMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 15, 2011

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Google isn't helping me, so I figured I'd ask here.

Any other 3D owners having problems with notifications not working for some apps?

For me, Astrid and Google+ don't pop up any notifications, but once I actually open the app I'll get spammed with a bunch of notifications at once.

Gmail, Tweetdeck, and GReader all seem to be pushing out notifications correctly, but not having task reminders in particular is really annoying.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
On the 3D, is there a way to control what results in a notification and what doesn't? I only want notifications on SMS and voicemail/missed calls, not any of my email accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jorath posted:

On the 3D, is there a way to control what results in a notification and what doesn't? I only want notifications on SMS and voicemail/missed calls, not any of my email accounts.

I think you can do this under the GMail app.