Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

WarringPhoenix posted:

Since your on the PC version, you can go right ahead and fight as many enemies as you wish. Here's a direct link to the BIP page if you want more tips.

Ahh, thanks that button symbol toggle thing is especially useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

RentACop posted:

Hey, with regards to the Last Remnant on pc, are we supposed to fight as many enemies at a time as we can? The game says you should, but I thought I remembered people saying that that's the exact opposite of what you should do

I made a big post about LR here (I played on PC too):

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=172&perpage=40#post385404897

With regards to rank (from too much fighting) there are a couple of key things:

- There are some boss fights that scale with your rank, one of which nearly stopped me dead about halfway through the game. However, by using Dave's super attack that hits the whole field I managed to get past it easily. Apart from that, the impact on enemy strength can be safely ignored.

- The more you grind up characters, the slower ALL characters level up. So, if you waste 10 hours early game grinding up your troops, then it'll be harder to level up troops you pick up later. The upshot of this was me picking up some super characters close to the end game, and I simply couldn't grind them up to be as strong as everyone else.

I'd say the best approach is to play normally, and not go out of your way to grind that much early on, and you should be fine.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 11, 2011

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
Just got Two Worlds 2, never played the original but I hear this one is superb, anything I should know before I start? I intend to focus on being a magic user.

Parselmouth
Feb 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Two... Two Worlds? No. NO NO

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Parselmouth posted:

Two... Two Worlds? No. NO NO

The RPG series, not the creepy man with yellow teeth. Unless you are actually taking about the games and they really are that terrible.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Anything I should keep in mind with regards to carrying over a save in Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga? About 6 hours into DDS1 and I'd like to know how I might be affecting DDS2 when I get around to it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

The RPG series, not the creepy man with yellow teeth. Unless you are actually taking about the games and they really are that terrible.

I can't speak for #2 but the first is one of the definitive "so bad it's good" titles of this generation, perhaps ever. It's a shitload of fun (and there's a wiki page for it already) but don't go in expecting Beethoven's 9th or anything.
All I know about the second game is that they made it a "better" game at the cost of some of the "charm" in the first title.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

sexual rickshaw posted:

Anything I should know about Front Mission 4? I played a little of it back when it first came out, but that was 7 years ago and I've kinda forgotten all of that.

- Links are everything. There's no chaining skills together for multiple attacks like there was in Front Mission 3, so instead you need to think ahead and get your party into position to maximize AP use via links. Your first ones should always be to a melee wanzer because they only need a pittance of AP to attack and can thus do so many times; your bread and butter is going to be moving them into position adjacent to one or more enemies as your first action, then they'll add an extra punch on to the rest of your squad's actions.

- The European squad can get a lot of mileage out of spreading links between their machinegunners - you can get a solid firing squad going if you don't have to move too much between turns. The Stubbly Mercenaries squad might get more mileage out of linking the sniper rather than anyone else early game.

- Links are useless if you're attemping to fire directly through another of your allies - you'll lose all accuracy. If you're even one square off a direct line, that's enough of an angle that you'll be fine.

- Don't worry about buying extra skill sets for people until lategame. The game pretty naturally flows along if you buy each character's innate skill set first.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

nachos posted:

Anything I should keep in mind with regards to carrying over a save in Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga? About 6 hours into DDS1 and I'd like to know how I might be affecting DDS2 when I get around to it.
I haven't played DDS2 yet, but to my knowledge the only things that affect DDS2 are beating certain optional bosses that you don't get access to until much later into the game. Beating them gives you a few special items in the sequel.

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

nachos posted:

There are a couple of dialog choices during cutscenes that will open things in DDS2. Choose the answers that exemplify honor and trusting your allies.

More specifically:
When making an alliance with another tribe, don't choose to betray them later.
Refuse to fight against one of your allies.
I don't quite remember the context for the third one, but the answer is "It doesn't matter."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

Just got Two Worlds 2, never played the original but I hear this one is superb, anything I should know before I start? I intend to focus on being a magic user.

I rented it and just couldn't get into it, but one piece of advice I did manage to take away before I quit was SAVE OFTEN. As far as I can tell, there's no system where the game will respawn you close to where you die, all that happens is that it reloads the last save. And if that save happened to be far away, with a significantly lighter inventory or with less quest progress, well...hope you enjoy doing all that again.

So save! Save before fights! Save before conversations with threatening looking people! Save before going up high staircases with no railings (I literally died falling down a lighthouse once)!

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
e: Nevermind.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Foxhound posted:

Just finished Crysis 2, thought I'd drop some knowledge:

- Aliens are more vulnerable from behind (the tendrils).

- Aliens use similar tactics to humans, but you have to beat them in a different want. Using mobility and getting up close and personal is a great way if you have a shotgun.

- One of the best ways to fight heavies is to find the sweet spot between where they can melee you and where they can shoot you. If you keep moving they can't really attack you. Use armor.

- Armor and Stealth are both very useful, but remember that as soon as you fire out of stealth your energy goes to zero right away.

- Stealth kills do not drain energy.

- The perk that lets you see bullet paths is extremely useful for messy fights.

- Armor and Stealth are both very useful, but remember that as soon as you fire out of stealth your energy goes to zero right away.

If you put a silencer on your gun, you can get a range of 6 shots (handgun) to maybe 1 (grendal) before you uncloak. The most fun I had was getting all the perks, and doing post-human warrior, trying to stealth backstab (which actually grants 20% cloak back) or headshot everything. It's ace fun.

Also, the best way to take out pingers (the ED209 things)/ heavies is C4 - you don't have to get it behind them, just sort of near them. It'll stunloack them, so you can chuck a few more bits in. Rinse and repeat.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

Nothing on the wiki for Saints Row 2? Any suggestions?

Which wiki are you looking at?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If he's anything like me, he opened the page and ctrl-f'd for "Saint's Row" without noticing that the listing is split up into multiple pages of 200 entries each.

Is there a particular reason it's designed that way? Since I just ctrl-f for the entry I'm looking for, having everything on one page would make it a little easier to navigate. Not that it's unbearable now or anything, but I would find it a little more convenient to have everything available at once unless there's a problem with it that I'm missing.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is there a particular reason it's designed that way?

That's just the way wikis work by default.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I hadn't realised that there was a page at "Saint's Row 2" (With an apostrophe) - I had added a couple of tips to "Saints Row 2" (WITHOUT an apostrophe). I've merged the two pages at "Saints Row 2", since that's the correct title, and put a redirect from one to the other.

Ainsley McTree posted:

If he's anything like me, he opened the page and ctrl-f'd for "Saint's Row" without noticing that the listing is split up into multiple pages of 200 entries each.

Is there a particular reason it's designed that way? Since I just ctrl-f for the entry I'm looking for, having everything on one page would make it a little easier to navigate. Not that it's unbearable now or anything, but I would find it a little more convenient to have everything available at once unless there's a problem with it that I'm missing.

m2pt5 is right: 200 per page on the category listing is the default. I've just looked it up in Mediawiki's help files, and couldn't find anything to change the default, but if anyone can point it out to me I'd be happy to up it.

In the mean time, I personally use the search box, top-right. It's usually very good about finding what you want.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

ToxicFrog posted:

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Wiki says to play it on the easiest difficulty; anything else I should know?
The game's stealth gameplay is... well, early 2000's FPS stealth gameplay. It barely (occasionally) works in the forced stealth sections, and rarely works outside them - trying to Solid Snake things is only setting yourself up for frustration. Occasionally, you can go through an annoying stealth sectio by just running for it - but on other occasions this will break the games feeble mind, so... you know, save early, save often. The usual.

(Even if you're playing on easy difficulty, make sure that you start the vehicle section at full health and with plenty of ammo for your best guns)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

What happens in the end if you held off on doing Sons of Samedi?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Any tips/most have mods for someone going on a total war binge? Empire, Napoleon, and Shogun 2 are filling my time for the next great while.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Contest Winner posted:

Any tips/most have mods for someone going on a total war binge? Empire, Napoleon, and Shogun 2 are filling my time for the next great while.

As someone who has both Napoleon and Empire, I would say give Napoleon the bulk of your attention. It really made a lot of improvements over Empire, to the point where there's really no sense going back to Empire unless you really really want to shoot Indians (of the American or actual Indian variety) or play as Poland-Lithuania.

Other than that, I wouldn't mind some tips for Napoleon and Shogun myself; I'm pretty terrible at these games, but I keep buying them anyway.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
The Witcher. Let's have a go at it.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any tips for NBA 2K11? I'm trying the my player thing but am getting destroyed and not able to meet targets for scrimmage games.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

deepshock posted:

The Witcher. Let's have a go at it.

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=The_Witcher_1

The wiki should just be linked in the title now.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Sent an email to request the password for the wiki.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

The wiki should just be linked in the title now.

This is how I feel, but I don't want to be a dick by just responding to half the requests in this thread with a wiki link.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
Having read the wiki entries for Demon Soul's and not finding them too useful, does anyone have anymore tips?

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

Kid Moe posted:

Having read the wiki entries for Demon Soul's and not finding them too useful, does anyone have anymore tips?

If you're ever having problems, summon some blue phantoms. Chances are they will tear poo poo up for you as you casually walk through the level.

Just about every boss in my first playthrough was demolished by two naked dudes with meat cleavers while I safely watched from a distance.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rakanakle posted:

If you're ever having problems, summon some blue phantoms. Chances are they will tear poo poo up for you as you casually walk through the level.

Just about every boss in my first playthrough was demolished by two naked dudes with meat cleavers while I safely watched from a distance.

You need to be in body form to do this, so beat a boss or use a stone of ephemeral eyes.

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

Kid Moe posted:

Learn by dying. When you die, think about what you did wrong, and don't do it again.

Don't grind unless you're really close to affording something. It will make the game tedious and less fun, and you'll get souls much faster by exploring new areas.

You're going to lose lots of souls. Don't stress out over it, you'll get more in no time. You can avoid losing large numbers of souls by spending as many as you can before going somewhere dangerous, and by only using the soldier's and hero's soul items when you're close to affording something.

You can do the levels in any order (after you beat the first boss). If one level is giving you too much trouble, another one might be more susceptible to your strengths, or you might find something that will help you in the level that was stonewalling you.

The Demon's Soul items dropped by bosses can be traded for unique weapons and magic. Don't use them unless you're sure they're no good to you.

If you have any specific questions, drop by the Demon's Souls thread. The vets there like to hear progress reports from rookies.

Koops fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 14, 2011

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are there are essentially mods / patches I need to get for Majesty 1? This more of a "getting back on the saddle" than a "first time" thing, but I'm wondering if anything's changed in the years since I've last visited Ardania (I tried to like the sequel so badly, but I just couldn't do it)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Team Fortress 2 is free to play. Is the game newbie friendly or is it like Heroes of Newerth on free weekends? Is it okay to play as a few classes I like or should I really stick to just one?

From scanning the wiki I understand that in addition to cosmetic items there are ones with stat bonuses and very strong effects. Do I need to familiarize myself with the majority of items people use or can I come to understand them as I use them and see others with them in matches?

I would also like some very general tips please.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Team Fortress 2 is free to play. Is the game newbie friendly or is it like Heroes of Newerth on free weekends? Is it okay to play as a few classes I like or should I really stick to just one?

From scanning the wiki I understand that in addition to cosmetic items there are ones with stat bonuses and very strong effects. Do I need to familiarize myself with the majority of items people use or can I come to understand them as I use them and see others with them in matches?

The community should be fine. There are some classes that you can play and that other people will rely on, so if you're not competent with them then you might get complained at. Medic comes to mind.

So if you stick to Soldier, Pyro and Demo Man, for example, no-one will pay attention to how well you're playing.

Most if not all of the items with effects have counter-balancing negative effects, so you're not going to suffer at all if you stick with the default items you're given when starting fresh - and it means that you can try new items as you become more familiar with the game, since by then you'll be better equipped to understand how their effects will make a difference.

Note that I haven't played the game in a long time, so some of this may be wrong.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Pyruvate posted:

Any tips for NBA 2K11? I'm trying the my player thing but am getting destroyed and not able to meet targets for scrimmage games.

Actually yes. Either be a 6'7 Point Guard or 7'5 Center. The only drill you should do is dribble course, and only save after you get a speed increase for gold (turn off autosave). Speed is the most expensive stat to raise. Get it to 99 and you'll be unstoppable. Alternatively, you can sell off spent attribute points and use the experience to raise in other areas, which again explains why you are only raising speed since it is so valuable. This is an enormous pain in the rear end though since the dribble drill can raise any of 4 different stats and speed seems to have the lowest likelyhood. (Every time you get gold in the drill you will get a stat raise of either +1 or +2 to one of the four stats. Speed +2 owns but always setttle for +1 since it's such a pain to get anyway.)

One thing to note is that your player letter grade can swing wildly. For example, every time you hold the ball too long you'll drop about a whole letter grade, but each rebound you make gets nearly the same back. I routinely have 20-30 rebounds per game just by staying under the basket when the D has the ball.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Heran Bago posted:

Soldier: You can rocket-jump by firing your rocket at your feet. Get more air by jumping first, and even more by jumping, hitting crouch, then firing.

Pyro: Don't try to out-damage a Heavy at close range; you will die. When fighting another Pyro, back-pedal while keeping them just in your flame, or use the shotgun. Your airblast (right-click) will extinguish allies who are on fire, this is very important and will make women like you.

Medic: Keep an eye on the people around you; don't just stay latched onto a Heavy unless you're in the middle of a fight. If you let someone burn to death right in front of you while you stare at the Heavy's butt, you are bad and should feel bad.

Engineer: For most maps, the first thing you should do is drop a teleporter entrance outside the spawn, go back inside to fill up on metal, then head to where the fighting will be and drop an exit. This is tremendously helpful for Control Point and Red-side Payload maps. Do not build on the very last point before the round even starts; you want to keep the enemy from taking that first point, or at least delay as long as possible.

Sniper and Spy: Don't play Sniper or Spy.

...okay, fine, you can play them, but please keep an eye on how many other people on your team have the same idea. Generally speaking, you should never have more than two of each class at the very most, depending on how many people are playing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Heran Bago posted:

Play with goons if you're worried about being behind in skill. The TF2 thread in Games and the TF2 Server thread in PGS are good reading.
Also when in doubt (especially when learning the game), go either
A. Soldier
B. Medic (and find a "good" player and follow that person around while healing them)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Heran Bago posted:

Team Fortress 2

Go through the class tutorials, first of all. They're fairly helpful.

While there are plenty of crazy looking and sounding weapons, the vanilla stock build is pretty much always effective. Don't worry too much about item drops until you get familiar with the game.

Soldier is a good starting class. The rockets cause splash damage, which means your aim doesn't have to be perfect. Also, you can shoot the rocket at the feet of enemies to blow them away from you (handy when a pyro is charging at you). Soldiers should always be looking for the higher ground. Pyro and Demoman are also okay to start with, though you're best off playing Pyro as an ambush class when you know the maps a little better. Don't bother with Engineer, Sniper or Spy until you know the flow of the game and the maps a bit better.

Always watch for Spies. Any teammate running the opposite way of everyone else is immediately suspicious. When a Spy is lit on fire by a Pyro, they will glow the colour of their own team, not of their disguised team. If you ever run into a teammate (as in, their body occludes yours) shoot them immediately: you can run right through real teammates as if they weren't there, but disguised Spies will block you. A dead Spy is not always a dead Spy -- they have an unlock called the Dead Ringer that will, when engaged, cause a Spy to cloak (go invisible) when damaged and give the outward impression that they were killed (kill message and everything). If a Spy goes down too easily, don't let your guard down. If you here a teammate say, "spy is me", it means they were killed by a Spy who immediately disguised as them (it's a weapon drop) -- if you see them, take 'em out.

TF2 is not a deathmatch game -- noone can see your KDR, and noone really cares. Play for the objective and your points will come.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anything for MAG? Played it a bit lately, but it seems so terribad, wanna see if im missing something.

Combat-Jack
Jul 16, 2009

Less yap, more ZAP

Dongattack posted:

Anything for MAG? Played it a bit lately, but it seems so terribad, wanna see if im missing something.

MAG is kind of rough to get into these days. Best bit of advice is: DO NOT JOIN RAVEN.

In terms of equipment, I tend to use silenced weapons, heavier armor, and the signal blocking equipment. So many players live and die by that minimap most don't take the time to look around themselves. Getting the medical kit upgrades is a must, too. You can get some good experience from them, and you can really help a push keep going by reviving dead teammates.

There is also a thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3252649

Also, RAVENNNN!!!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
gently caress, my character is Raven, whats wrong with Raven!