Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Pleeeeeease let them get Joe Buck on the show in the first week in the guise of mending bridges and then just utterly destroy him again like Artie did on that short-lived HBO show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Dan Patrick is talking about the Artie and Nick show this morning. It sounds like he was the driving force behind this. He reached out to Artie about the possibility of doing a show in the same style as his. Simulcast on DirectTV, Fox Sports and streaming online.
Yesterday Dans bosses, Nick and Artie were meeting in LA to discuss the show.

hypersober
Mar 27, 2006
I wonder if Howard would allow Nick and Artie do a "Win Artie's Money" contest - give a contestant a year and answer which teams played in the world series, etc?

I'm sure a segment like that would come up as an idea for the show.

Edit: I said allow because Howard "invented" that game. Plus, Artie would probably want to ask Howard's permission first.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I'm liking all this Artie talk

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

I'm liking all this Artie talk

It is nice to talk about Artie without being all sad.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, for a change.

I really hope that Stern manages to keep his schadenfreude under wraps... if he starts treating Artie like he has Stuttering John, then that will be the final nail in the coffin for me listening to his show.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
"Hey Nick, it's Artie. Look, I'm not coming in today. I'm sick as a dog. *cough* Been throwing up all night. I'll probably be in tomorrow."

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

-Atom- posted:

Artie needs to be on uncensored radio.

This.

But not just for him to be dirty, the thing that really killed me about the FOX Sports thing from last week was just how uuugghhhhh radio it was. Rapid topics changes every 10 minutes, commercials every what felt like 30 seconds, totally interrupting the flow. Satellite and podcasts are spoiling as poo poo since you can see a real conversation flow and evolve for long periods of time uninterrupted :(

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, for a change.

I really hope that Stern manages to keep his schadenfreude under wraps... if he starts treating Artie like he has Stuttering John, then that will be the final nail in the coffin for me listening to his show.

Hopefully he sticks to the same Artie-related stance that he has all along which is to not talk about it at all, or only the absolute bare minimum that he has to and still appear (vaguely) human.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

AxeManiac posted:

It is nice to talk about Artie without being all sad.

A perfect post and avatar combo :golfclap:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm not even the biggest sports fan and I'd probably listen to Artie's show on a regular basis.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Today's my birthday (July 15th) and I was going through the list of famous people born on this day and noticed:

1972 – Beth Ostrosky, American model

This made me a little giddy for some reason.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Mine too :hfive:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, at this point, if Artie had a radio show, I would totally listen to it. I don't think I'd drop Stern, but drat, I really miss Artie.

Me too. I'm not into sports, but if Artie is there, I'll be there.

an adult beverage posted:

It sucks that it'll be a censored show though, but I'm looking forward to it.

I just hope Artie is well enough to do it. He's been through a lot and I don't want to see him relapse again. Opiate addiction is hell, and having a year or two to recover (on top of everything else) just seems to be too fast.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Pleeeeeease let them get Joe Buck on the show in the first week in the guise of mending bridges and then just utterly destroy him again like Artie did on that short-lived HBO show.

YES. It'd be awesome.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

lynch_69 posted:

Today's my birthday (July 15th) and I was going through the list of famous people born on this day and noticed:

1972 – Beth Ostrosky, American model

This made me a little giddy for some reason.

I hate so much that I share a birthday with Ralph. I am super happy that Richard has a higher IQ than him.

..but then again I also share a birthday with George Takei! (plus Hitler)

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Evil Agita posted:

..but then again I also share a birthday with George Takei! (plus Hitler)

You win.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wow, listening to the analysis of the 9/11 show... getting some flashbacks. Pretty intense at times.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Squashy Nipples posted:

Wow, listening to the analysis of the 9/11 show... getting some flashbacks. Pretty intense at times.

Living in NYC at the time and listening to him live while the whole thing was going on was one of the most surreal events of my life.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

They could have edited the audio when Howard is narrating and says, "And they haven't even caught Bin Laden yet!".

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I was in Boston on 9/11, so it didn't feel quite as immediate as being in Manhattan, but I lost several colleagues that day. Also, my best friend at the time had just finished working a contract gig in one of the towers... he had been working there every day, just two weeks prior.

The 9/11 show was great, but the really important show to me was 9/12. I set my alarm for 5:55 so I could hear it from the beginning. Hearing the Sam Kinison bark, followed by 'American Nightmare' kicking in, was so totally relieving. A shred of normalcy.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
Plus, Robin having to spend the evening with Scott the Engineer.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

And telling KC to go put on a dress.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My wife and I moved out of NYC on Sept. 1, 2001 and arrived in Los Angeles on Sept 10th. Woke up to my first day as a Californian to watch that on TV, so it was the one day I hadn't heard Howard live in quite some time.

Not quite as good as a birth-Takei-Hitler-day, but we did happen to be in the same room at Burbank's Safari Inn as Patricia Arquette and Christian Slater run out of in True Romance. (after fleeing from a pre-Sopranos James Gandolfini)

The following day a flag store sprung up in an empty storefront across the way and had a line down the street of patriotic rubes buying chinese garbage for the next week and a half.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
I was there that day. :( After the first tower fell and we all ran for our lives, I went numb and tuned into Stern on my Walkman. Then the second tower fell. I was in the crowd walking over the Brooklyn Bridge when Cabbie called in saying that we looked like a bunch of refugees and it was the saddest thing he'd ever seen. About 20 feet from me a woman who also had headphones on just busted out crying. She blubbered so hard that she just collapsed. A group of total strangers picked her up and comforted her. I've always assumed she was listening to Stern too, and Cabbie's description of her situation was just the straw that broke the camel's back. (gently caress you, Cabbie, for doing that to her.)

I remember listening to Stern all the way home. Then after the show ended, they went into that goddamn lovely, depressing Staind song that was a hit at the time. I was too numb to be outraged, I guess, but when I think back to that I always find myself wondering what the hell they were thinking.

Living in New York from September 12 of '01, to the big blackout in August of '03, was a very strange thing. I've worked in war zones and felt less paranoid dread than I did in New York at that time.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

picosecond posted:

Living in New York from September 12 of '01, to the big blackout in August of '03, was a very strange thing.

It was very odd being in the city the next week while everyone tried to get back to their normal lives.
I was eating lunch outside at Bryant Park Grill one day with people from work. Some construction company working nearby did something that caused a LOUD crash and simultaneously about 50 people sitting outside dropped under the tables or ran for cover into the park.
The whole city was on edge for months.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

It was very odd being in the city the next week while everyone tried to get back to their normal lives.
I was eating lunch outside at Bryant Park Grill one day with people from work. Some construction company working nearby did something that caused a LOUD crash and simultaneously about 50 people sitting outside dropped under the tables or ran for cover into the park.
The whole city was on edge for months.

Wow that's crazy. I was in Austin at the time for college and while it was of course a major topic there wasn't really any feeling of paranoia.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Jesus, I cant believe I didnt mention this earlier, but we got talking about the 9/11 show and I totally forgot.

Artie was on Dan Patrick today. I didnt listen live because I listened to the 9/11 and 9/12 shows.
Here is the link to his podcast where you can listen to it.

http://www.danpatrick.com/2011/07/15/artie-lange-talks-about-returning-to-radio-to-do-sports/

Some highlights if you dont want to listen

-No deal in place for a new show yet.
-Dan gets a good dig on Robin telling Artie he (Artie) always had to correct her about sports.
-Artie misses the Stern show "More then anything in the world"
-Howard called Artie while he was in the psych ward and many times during his recovery

Mr Lance Murdock fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 15, 2011

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

-Howard called Artie while he was in the psych ward and many times during his recovery

He was probably just talking to Don Buchwald

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Artie Lange posted:

“I mean, I would love to. I mean, if Howard wanted me to I would vacuum the studio. I would do anything they wanted. But I put them in a very, very crazy position and I understand their apprehensions. I just get it. You know, and Howard’s a smart guy and I think when he feels the time is right maybe I’ll go on there. But I would do it in a heartbeat. Obviously, I miss it. But it’s up to them and I understand their position. They’re smart over there. They know what they’re doing radio wise.”

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Millstone posted:

Artie is absolutely right and I'm glad he knows why he'll never be a member of the Howard Stern show like he once was.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
Yeah and I hope Howard doesn't get resentful of him like he would John, like one of the other posters said.

If he did, I'd bet a ton of people would call in to tell Howard that he's an rear end in a top hat.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

chiz posted:

Yeah and I hope Howard doesn't get resentful of him like he would John, like one of the other posters said.

If he did, I'd bet a ton of people would call in to tell Howard that he's an rear end in a top hat.

It burns me hearing Howard talk about Stuttering John the way he does. SJ got a (at the time) sweet deal and Howard turned into an ungrateful bitch who was mad one of the litter managed to stop sucking the golden Jew teat.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
John was a prick anyways so fans cared less but Artie bashing won't be tolerated by his fanbase.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I thought Howard was pretty cool with it and he was just mad specifically at Jay Leno for hiring John behind his back without talking to him about it. Then got Mad at John after he said publicly not to drink Howard's koolaid about something. I don't even remember what it was about, but Howard got super mad about that and that's what caused John to be dead to him.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

AltronHGX posted:

I thought Howard was pretty cool with it and he was just mad specifically at Jay Leno for hiring John behind his back without talking to him about it.
I know, that's my gripe. Does John belong to Howard? No, he's an employee and nothing more. Who gives a poo poo who gives a gently caress how people find their employment, Howard should know that best.

quote:

Then got Mad at John after he said publicly not to drink Howard's koolaid about something. I don't even remember what it was about, but Howard got super mad about that and that's what caused John to be dead to him.
Yeah that was only a few years ago right? I think it was in an interview and Howard just went completely apeshit. Then a few months later Howard did a complete 180 and said something like "I never said I hated John, what are you talking about" to a caller.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

AltronHGX posted:

I thought Howard was pretty cool with it and he was just mad specifically at Jay Leno for hiring John behind his back without talking to him about it. Then got Mad at John after he said publicly not to drink Howard's koolaid about something. I don't even remember what it was about, but Howard got super mad about that and that's what caused John to be dead to him.

Not exactly. There's blame on both sides. John was an integral part of the show, but he was getting paid like an intern. Howard didn't pay him, the station did and they paid him peanuts even though he was risking getting beat up doing interviews. He asked for ways to make more money, but Howard wanted nothing to do with it. Anything outside the show was met with disdain by Howard. John's album was actually pretty good, but he couldn't get any stations to play it because of his association with the show. (I'm not saying he'd be a successful rock star, but the without radio airplay, his album was dead in the water.) He probably played fast and loose with the truth when he did that "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here" show, but it was the smartest thing he ever did. That stupid reality show is how he got noticed. Howard wanted him to fail. Period. He wishes John would have ended up like Jackie. John tried to call the show a few times and Howard either hung up or didn't take the call.

John was passive-aggressive with doing work, etc., but I don't blame him. They paid him poo poo, so he put in poo poo effort (when it came to office tasks, etc.)

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
I call bullshit on Howard though.

Before the KoolAid remark, Howard said he was mad at Jay and not John but then John makes that comment and Howard explodes\

Howard was pissed at John too. For working for Jay, for leaving the show, and for getting a better deal. This was just an excuse, kind of in a way, for lashing out at John for leaving and Howard relished it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Pretty sure Stuttering John was a horrible prick, he was awesome on the radio, but everything about him screams that he will gently caress you over and laugh at you any chance he gets. I could see why poo poo went down that way.

If he jumps on Artie the same way, then Stern has totally lost it. Artie got me back into the show after the lesbians and Sterns gimmick wore thin and he is a wonderfully entertaining person.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
yeah well he's the prankster, he pranks, no-one else

fuuuuuck, I can't find it,

anyone?

nm, I think this is it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UduTXHKnncc

chiz fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

If he jumps on Artie the same way, then Stern has totally lost it. Artie got me back into the show after the lesbians and Sterns gimmick wore thin and he is a wonderfully entertaining person.

I think Artie is giving Stern an easy way out: he's admitting fault to a lot of stuff and basically saying that it's over but it would be great to go back. He's not burning any bridges, he's just moved on like he did with MadTV. It's the best of all worlds: Stern can drop the subject altogether, Artie can move on with his life in another direction, and both sides can meet if they want without any hard feelings in public. If anything, Artie is a classy guy underneath all of the racial humor and self-destruction.