Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Really strange looking new release: Normality for $6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Didn't this has a front page article about it?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Didn't this has a front page article about it?
It looks really familiar, like I've either read about it here or on some other site.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Oh my word. I only heard tales about this game growing up.

An adventure game from a first-person perspective. Got a top score in the gaming rag I read back in the day. I'll have to finally check this out.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Hoooolyyy shiiit they've actually released Normality. Instantly sold. It's awesome.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Too much backlog to buy a non-sale game.

However the cheapass in me wants to know: Who here has played Celtic Kings? It's the daily gem.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I actually played Normality back in the day! :monocle:
I wasn't an adventure game enthusiast, but I still enjoyed it. It's got this oddball mixture of Orwell's 1984 and early 90's MTV/Beavis & Butthead going on. It definitely has wacky adventure game logic at times, but I don't remember being stuck for hours.

...with the exception of one section which I'm not even going to spoilertag because it involves the developers being dicks.
At one point you're in a locker room. Now if you move your mouse over the lockers the word "locker" will appear and remain hovering at the same position, even if you move from locker to locker. In the rest of the game this would mean that all the lockers are treated as a single item/background piece. Not here though, since ONE of the lockers can be opened and it contains items you'll need later on. If you have your cursor on a different locker and try to open it, nothing will happen and you'll most likely move on. Only to be horribly stuck later on.

There's a clue will tells you which locker to open: there's a graffiti arrow pointing at the right one. It may seem obvious in retrospective, it definitely wasn't to the 12 year old me.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Andrigaar posted:

Too much backlog to buy a non-sale game.

However the cheapass in me wants to know: Who here has played Celtic Kings? It's the daily gem.

I played it and thought it was really dry and underwhelming. The pacing sucks and the whole presentation is incredibly :geno:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Oh dear, just found out that there was a US version of Normality where they unnecesarily re-recorded all the voices. Think I'm going to hold back on purchasing till there's some confirmation on which one GOG have put up.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
If the UK version doesn't have Corey Feldman, then the rerecording was not unnecessary.

Space Cadet Glow
Jun 10, 2011

scamtank posted:

Oh my word. I only heard tales about this game growing up.

An adventure game from a first-person perspective. Got a top score in the gaming rag I read back in the day. I'll have to finally check this out.

I played this game when I was about ten years old, and I remember it being very, very good even if it gave me terrible motion sickness (pretty much all classic FPS games do that to me). I played the German version though, so I can't really comment on how good the voicework is in the English one.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Very excited. I played the demo for Normality on a PC Gamer demo disc as a kid, and it was awesome and I always wanted to play the full game, but I was a kid and had no money.

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~

Mierenneuker posted:

Me too! Unfortunately, the only things I remember about it are the fact that Wade Duck voices the first person you talk to, and that there was a really lovely easter-egg near the end of the game. Oh, and lots of wandering back and forth looking for inventory items -- but that's typical of the era's adventure games, so maybe that's not such a bad thing in this context.

Even so, I was able to beat it, and it left an impression on me! It's probably worth a shot, if you like adventure games and want to try something goofy and weird.

trapt
Sep 21, 2010

Lockback posted:

Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape, Roller Coaster Tycoon

Honorable mention to:
Jagged Allegiance
Freespace 2
Another World
Space Quest Series

These are all great games, depending on your genre. If you can give examples of what you like, we can probably be more help.

Well... never played any Fallout, Jagged Alliance or Heroes of Might and Magic games... so I guess these are the ones I'm looking for.

As a kid I've played Descent 2, Raptor, Duke 3D and TIM. If I buy Descent 2, how bad will it hurt my eyes?

Now, I'm mostly into RPG, RTS and a little bit of FPS.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

trapt posted:

Well... never played any Fallout, Jagged Alliance or Heroes of Might and Magic games... so I guess these are the ones I'm looking for.

As a kid I've played Descent 2, Raptor, Duke 3D and TIM. If I buy Descent 2, how bad will it hurt my eyes?

Now, I'm mostly into RPG, RTS and a little bit of FPS.

I repeat, Ground Control. Then later you can get World in Conflict from a mainstream DD site when it's on sale.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

trapt posted:

If I buy Descent 2, how bad will it hurt my eyes?
Not at all. There are a couple source-code projects out. I like this one: http://www.descent2.de/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

trapt posted:

D2X-XL (linked by Teethgrinder, above) adds all kinds of graphical goodies, and supports Descent 1 as well. I actually think Descent 1 has aged a lot better than D2; there's more plot (or at least flavour text), the angular enemy designs hold up surprisingly well, and the levels aren't as dickish. Both still look pretty good, though.

quote:

Now, I'm mostly into RPG

Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape: Torment, and Arcanum are kings of the late 90s RPGs. The Fallout games are just all-around excellent; PS:T is Infinity Engine (and thus uses janky awful AD&D combat, but fortunately very little of the game is combat) but is definitely worth playing for the story and setting; Arcanum is made by a bunch of ex-Fallout/Torment guys and can best be summed up as Fallout-esque in a weird steampunk/tolkien/industrial revolution hybrid setting.

Divine Divinity is also worth a look; it plays completely differently (it's an isometric hack & slash rather than a turn-based party RPG) but is still, at its heart, an RPG, with a definable character personality and interesting NPCs to talk to and whatnot.

For more recent games you might want to check out The Witcher, Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga, and most of Obsidian Entertainment's stuff, especially Alpha Protocol.

quote:

RTS

Alchenar posted:

I repeat, Ground Control. Then later you can get World in Conflict from a mainstream DD site when it's on sale.

This. Ground Control is more real-time tactics (you select your troops before each mission and that's all you drop with; there's no base construction or unit production in-mission) but is fantastic. Ground Control 2 is a bit more traditional (you can capture control points, which give you resources, which you can spend to bring in more troops). Both are recommended.

Also, if you like RTS games but haven't played Total Annihilation, you've missed one of the best RTS of all time. It's the opposite end of the scale to Ground Control; rather than micromanaging a few squads, you're macromanaging huge armies consisting of hundreds or thousands of troops and constructing vast bases with intricate, multi-layered defences.

I'd also recommend picking up Homeworld, if you can find a copy anywhere.

In more recent games, World in Conflict is a spiritual precursor to Ground Control and is also very good; Supreme Commander and AI War: Fleet Command are noticeably similar to Total Annihilation.

quote:

and a little bit of FPS.

As you liked Descent 2, Descent 1 and 3 are also likely to appeal; since you liked Duke3d, check out Blood as well.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Boiled Water posted:

[About RollerCoaster Tycoon] All my attempts to run in any combination of compability modes has resulted in failure. Anyone had the same error and maybe a solution to it?

I haven't run into problems with it but with old Windows based games the things I would try as standard in Vista/Win 7 would be:

- change to a lower resolution
- change to 256 colours/16 bit
- turn off desktop composition and visual themes.
- kill the explorer process
- if the game runs at all, and you have a multi-core system, change the affinity so it runs on a single core.
- open your graphics card config utility, create a profile and turn everything down to minimum.
- run it windowed

All else fails: how powerful is your computer? If you have the beef you can emulate an old OS with Oracle's (Sun's) VirtualBox (XP, maybe Win 98), and install it inside that. Win 98 is doable on any modern system, XP might be a bit of a slog.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 14, 2011

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

HOLY poo poo THIS GAME!

I played the hell out of this game, it is... it is something else. A complete head trip. poo poo, will be interesting to see how it lived up in my mind.

It was a change from most adventure games at the time and was first person, sorta ish. poo poo, I gotta get this, but it probably isn't as good as I remember it.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

AxeManiac posted:

HOLY poo poo THIS GAME!

I played the hell out of this game, it is... it is something else. A complete head trip. poo poo, will be interesting to see how it lived up in my mind.

It was a change from most adventure games at the time and was first person, sorta ish. poo poo, I gotta get this, but it probably isn't as good as I remember it.

hah.... I'd have to say same thing... I'll be curious to see how it lives up to my memories. I actually rented the game from a Microplay when it first came out.

Also, I just realized after reading:

Mierenneuker posted:

I wasn't an adventure game enthusiast, but I still enjoyed it. It's got this oddball mixture of Orwell's 1984 and early 90's MTV/Beavis & Butthead going on. It definitely has wacky adventure game logic at times, but I don't remember being stuck for hours.

Does anyone else remember the beavis & butthead adventure game? I can't believe I totally forgot about that game. what a gem (in my memory).

Kashwashwa fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 14, 2011

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Freaking cannot get Incoming to work, and tried all that I could based on what I read in their forums. Anyone else have issues with this?

At loading it just immediately goes to "Not Responding" on a small black window. Fuuuuck.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

According to this thread it's the UK version of Normality. Huzzah!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Kashwashwa posted:

hah.... I'd have to say same thing... I'll be curious to see how it lives up to my memories. I actually rented the game from a Microplay when it first came out.

Does anyone else remember the beavis & butthead adventure game? I can't believe I totally forgot about that game. what a gem (in my memory).

Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity was easily one of my favorite Adventure Games. It was so drat perfect. The mini games that you could play outside of the actual game, the full voice work, the scene for scene from the cartoon animation, clips from the show, it was like getting an entire season of Beavis and Butthead in a game. It was amazing. I hope they figure out some way to release that. Wish I could find my copy, it's probably somewhere at my mom's house.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I want GoG to get Dark Colony, just look at this glorious intro :allears:

Atmospheric as hell, if perhaps not the most innovative of gameplay. Gore galore :black101:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
GOG.com Contest!

Win a copy of Normality directly from me! All you have to do is visit https://www.shotgaming.com and post a link to a video here (in this thread) that has actual gameplay footage from a DOS era game shown in the video.

First person to post the video here wins a free copy of Normality.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Kashwashwa posted:

Virtual Stupidity. I have a copy on my shelf.

Never got anywhere in that game though. It ran like poo poo on whatever machine I had at the time and I don't recall liking the minigames.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

AxeManiac posted:

GOG.com Contest!

Win a copy of Normality directly from me! All you have to do is visit https://www.shotgaming.com and post a link to a video here (in this thread) that has actual gameplay footage from a DOS era game shown in the video.

First person to post the video here wins a free copy of Normality.

This one, right here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utGYkg6tDcg (http://shotgaming.com/?p=229)

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
That was quick, lol, gimmie your email for the gog gifting! You can pm me, post here or email it to me at axemaniac@somethingawful.com!

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I only played the US version of this (the one narrated by Corey Feldman, of all people). I never knew about the UK voiced version :aaa:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Entorwellian posted:

I only played the US version of this (the one narrated by Corey Feldman, of all people). I never knew about the UK voiced version :aaa:

Normality is a UK-made game, Gremlin did it. The script is definitely written for a British audience for sure.

Also :lol: "This is my dog, he's called Deepha." "Deepha?" "Yeah, Deepha Dog!"

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I only played the Corey Feldman version... oh dear I hope I still like it.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich is today's Hidden Gem. It's an awesome game, go get it if you already haven't done so.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kashwashwa posted:

I recall it being different for an adventure game. Less obtuse and more zany. Honestly, I feel like it was the first and best of the Flash-Era adventure games. It has that tone you see now.

It was a pretty fun game, and worth playing.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

AxeManiac posted:

I only played the Corey Feldman version... oh dear I hope I still like it.

If Donatello isn't in it, I don't want it :colbert:

Is it worth buying? :ohdear:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Megadyptes posted:

Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich is today's Hidden Gem. It's an awesome game, go get it if you already haven't done so.

I've skipped over it in two different sales now but I might change that pattern today...

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~

Kashwashwa posted:

The same studio did adventure games for Duckman and the UK cartoon Blazing Dragons. It's a shame all of these are probably held up by licensing (and Blazing Dragons by a non-PC release), since they were all apparently rather good. :smith:

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Megadyptes posted:

This is a great game, but I already own too many copies of it.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Megadyptes posted:

I tried to play it on Steam recently and it was full of glitches but it looked interesting. Interesting enough for me to pay again for it I think.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Megadyptes posted:

What exactly is it? It looks like a sidescroller or beat 'em up but then there are some isometric screens and it's apparently a strategy game and I have no idea. :psyduck: Strategy games really aren't my bag, so I'm hesitant about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

It is a top down isometric with clicky combat similar to a diablo style game, except it's a superhero RPG with lots of different upgradable characters and you can select an entire squad worth of heroes. I've tried to get into it maybe 3 times since people seem to talk it up on these boards a lot but I can never really manage to go an hour without getting bored, I have a feeling a lot of the appeal for it might come from comic book fans and that liking comics might be a prerequisite for liking the game.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 15, 2011