Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TouretteDog
Oct 20, 2005

Was it something I said?
Offense is usually your best defense, anyway. To defend you have to match both height and width, while if you attack then winning on width is enough to let you go first and knock down the guy's set by one die, which is enough to wreck the set most of the time.

If you did sort of automatic multi-action parry/defense for everyone, then you need to specify what you're rolling; if people just roll body+fight (or coord+weapon) and can make gobble dice from that with no penalty, then it pretty much removes the use of the parry/dodge skill.

Maybe put it into a martial path. It'd probably make a decent 3-point ability, something like: "When fighting with [insert preferred weapon here], you may use coord+weapon in place of body+parry whenever you attempt to both parry and attack in a single round; both the parry and attack must be directed at the same person. If you roll only a single set you must use it as an attack." Or if you wanted to skip the -1d penalty as well, make it a 4-point ability. That'd keep the parry skill useful (since you might want to go completely defensive, or parry from a different target than you're attacking) but still let you combine attack and defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If I buy Spells to get a Dindavaran Death Forging spell that has variable intensity, do I have to buy it at each Intensity, or if I buy it at 3 can I then cast Intensity 1-3?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Fenarisk posted:

Dear Greg Stolze please make a game system as good as ORE but with d6's so as tackle the barrier for new players to the market (ie - not normal people dice) thanks in advance :smith:

Edit: Would it really break things if players were allowed to defend each round against attacks rather than splitting the pool up from deciding how to act prior? Kind of like how A Dirty World does it.

A Dirty World is the most atypical of all ORE games so don't bring ADW expectations into the other games.

The Declare, roll, resolve mechanic makes combat in ORE games very strategic. You can fudge things a bit and let players say "I attack and dodge any attacks that might be directed at me" but in my experience, it makes combat much more interesting. Players have to think about their actions and gives combat a more unpredictable, chaotic feel than the standard "I hit you hit" rpg paradigm

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
I'm running a freakish abomination of GURPS and Reign, if anybody's interested. It would be good to get some people who are more familiar with the Reign company rules then me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

If I buy Spells to get a Dindavaran Death Forging spell that has variable intensity, do I have to buy it at each Intensity, or if I buy it at 3 can I then cast Intensity 1-3?

You buy spells at the highest Intensity you want to be able to cast it at.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Awesome.

Sadly, I have zero interest in playing GURPS; the system and I do not really get along.

(I am working on seeing if I can hack In Nomine into working with the Reign system, but that's mostly hobbyist bullshit because I doubt I'd ever run it anyway. I just want In Nomine to not use GURPS or In Nomine systems.)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The fancy magic powers of In Nomine are probably better represented as powers from Wild Talents. But I'm not sure you'd need rules for distinct speed and effectiveness, or wound locations, etc., for a game of fancy magic Angels and Demons. I've never played In Nomine, that that seems like it might be a bit too gritty?

Might I interest you in Nobilis? It's even less like GURPS than ORE is!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Could be; one of the huge issues of In Nomine is immense balance problems. One starting PC might get the special power to...have the body of a dog.

Another might get the special power to look at you and know exactly how much money you've spent and on what.

And a third might get the power to teleport through power lines.

All of these are free starting character powers. It's not well-balanced.

I've looked at Nobilis, but while I am practiced at interpreting Jenna Moran's writings in Exalted and In Nomine, I am afraid that Nobilis is extremely confusing for me to read through and understand.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I'm running a homebrewed apocalyptic setting using Reign rules, but my regular group has slowed down due to real life recently. Would anyone be interested in a postapocalyptic Russian setting using Reign rules? Thinking of making a post tomorrow.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

That almost sounds like the best kind of postapocalyptic setting. Count me as interested.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
This thread is rapidly approaching the event horizon beyond which I will be unable to escape.

Unknown Armies takes the cake for the (roughly human-level) occult underground game. Nobilis and In Nomine are my special obsessions (as evident by the screen name I stole from an IN demon prince).

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

TurninTrix posted:

That almost sounds like the best kind of postapocalyptic setting. Count me as interested.

There ya go!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm running a homebrewed apocalyptic setting using Reign rules, but my regular group has slowed down due to real life recently. Would anyone be interested in a postapocalyptic Russian setting using Reign rules? Thinking of making a post tomorrow.

Definitely, sounds bitchin'.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

There ya go!

This will be great.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to tweak Wild Talents (or possibly REIGN) so I can try to run a game with giant robots on it (in a military application sort of way). I have ORE Mecha here for reference, which is really useful, but it seems to be set up for first edition so the examples don't quite line up. I heard there was supposed to be an expansion for this to accommodate second edition, but the last bit of news about it was dated... about three years ago. :confused:

I'm not very keen on the differences between editions, so I wonder if trying to fit these rules on second edition will cause problems along the line, particularly with how miracles are built. Or would it be better if I used something like M&M instead?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I am in almost the exact same boat.

Basically, if you're running an all-mecha game with Wild Talents 2e, then all you need to do with the ORE Mecha pdf is to steal the rules for Size, understand that Mecha and Pilots have different point totals, and then make characters as normal. Ignore all the notes about powers, maybe use some of the qualities.

If you want to do things the hard/"balanced" way, mecha pilots as an archetype would have Source: Technological and Permission: Super-equipment, and liberally use the Focus limit with the extra "Operational Skill (Mecha Pilot)", remembering to buy the Mech a Body, Coordination and Sense stat as well.

Here's how the book summarizes making vehicles in general (which obviously includes robots you drive):

Wild Talents posted:

Build a set of Miracles to reflect what the vehicle can do. Start with some Body dice attached to the vehicle focus to define just how much weight your vehicle can carry around. Use the movement rules for the Body Stat (page 45) to start off, and add the Booster Extra to let it go faster.
If it should fly, add the Flight Miracle. If it has cameras that let you see in the dark, add the Perceive Miracle. If it has guns, add Harm. You get the idea.

Heavy Armor and Extra Tough are good for vehicles that should stand up to punishment. All characters inside the vehicle are protected by any defensive powers or immunities that the vehicle has, unless the defensive power has a Flaw that says otherwise.

For each power—each that isn’t built with an Indestructible Focus, that is—assign a specific hit location on the vehicle. The vehicle gets 10 hit location numbers, just like a character. Each Miracle gets its own hit location and its own wound boxes under the Focus rules. Assign one hit location number to seating—the cab where the driver(s) sit—and another to a space for cargo or additional passengers. If any damage hits those hit locations, it goes to one piece of cargo or a passenger; roll or draw straws to see who takes the hit.

Divide the other hit location numbers however you like among the vehicle’s various powers, treating them each like a separate focus; if the location for the Body Stat is destroyed, the vehicle cannot move.

Finally, if you're like me and want to own everything ORE, you already have Monsters and Other Childish Things and the Bigger Bads supplement, which presents awesome streamlined set of rules for giving people mechs instead of monsters.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Oh! I guess I never really read too much into the vehicles, since I thought it was mostly for wheels and treads. I'll go and give Essentials a closer look, thanks.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Finally, if you're like me and want to own everything ORE, you already have Monsters and Other Childish Things and the Bigger Bads supplement, which presents awesome streamlined set of rules for giving people mechs instead of monsters.

I guess I know what rulebook I'm going to go after next. :)

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Even just glancing at the focus and vehicle rules in WT always lead to me thinking up how things like aircraft carriers and the TARDIS should work. It wouldn't be too hard to do mecha that way.

I don't remember the ORE Mecha pdf being too interesting; though I don't remember if the size rules effected power capacities, with regards to range and all that. I remember seeing one of the example powers being a 4d 'railgun' harm/penetrate combo but by the numbers had a range of something like 100 yards, unless it's buffed up by virtue of being fired from a mecha.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

You could probably buff the powers with either if/then "part of a mecha suit" or the bulky flaw on a focus.

Edit: There's a "limited environment" flaw that could do it too.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 21, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Capntastic posted:

I don't remember the ORE Mecha pdf being too interesting; though I don't remember if the size rules effected power capacities, with regards to range and all that.

Hahaha, it totally doesn't! I hadn't noticed that at all. The Bigger Bads rules do, though.

I don't mean to sell MaOCT as a general-purpose solution. It isn't one. Like, there are only five different levels of size, from people to Godzilla. And there are no rules for deciding which skills are the piloting skills. And the human characters combine stats and hit locations in a way that ORE doesn't.

But I think it's a great game, and it has tiny rules in one tiny supplement that make a simple ORE mecha game seem within the realms of possibility.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
So my copy of Reign: Enchiridion arrived in the mail last week - fascinating reading, interesting rules.

No setting or fluff.

So I figured okay, maybe the first supplement would have the totally sweet details of this super-creative Heluso and Milonda setting.

Nope.

Do I have to buy an out-of-print edition of the core Reign book to get that cool setting? On his site, Greg mentions that the core book is on his Lulu store, but this is not so. There are two copies going for a $100 or so on eBay, but that is just out of my price range.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You can grab the PDF or use one of the free settings (Nain or Ardwin for fantasy).

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

You can grab the PDF

From where?

\/\/\/\/\/\/
Fantastic, I'll snag it tonight. I wish I'd realized that Enchiridion had the setting stripped out before I put down thirty bucks for it. =/

Squidster fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 26, 2011

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Squidster posted:

From where?

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=59095

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I, meanwhile, have been digging through the books reading about magic.

And you know what I learned?

On Heluso and Milonda, vampires have a mouth on their forehead, lizardlike scales and eat eyeballs to maintain their superhuman intellect magic.

Best wizards.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Another paycheck sacrificed to the altar of Stolze! I decided what the hey, if they have physical copies of the book for 40$ US, I might as well grab that and the PDF.
...The OP should really get a commission for this thread.

Inspired by Liesmith's tales of paladin woes, I'm thinking of adapting the Curse of Chalion setting for use with REIGN. Chalion, a fantasy redress of 13th century Spain, has one of the simplest and most creative pantheon's I've found in fiction: Five gods and five gods only, namely Father, Mother, Daughter, Son and Bastard. I'm particularly fond of the Bastard - half trickster, half saviour. Where all the other gods judge and choose their followers, he unconditionally loves - lepers, sinners, victims and monsters alike can call on him without judgement. He can also sell true justice, at the price of your life.

The Gods tightly adhere to the seasons - Daughter Spring, Summer Son, Mother Autumn and Father Winter, so I'm planning on redressing the magic to be primarily elemental in nature. Since magic is dangerous and powerful, only paladins and noblemen would be allowed to be trained in the four orthodox schools of magic, whereas any town warlock can fumble his way into the Bastard's service.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Take a look at...I believe the First Year supplement PDF for basic guidelines to making new magic styles.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Squidster posted:

So my copy of Reign: Enchiridion arrived in the mail last week - fascinating reading, interesting rules.

No setting or fluff.

So I figured okay, maybe the first supplement would have the totally sweet details of this super-creative Heluso and Milonda setting.

Nope.

Do I have to buy an out-of-print edition of the core Reign book to get that cool setting? On his site, Greg mentions that the core book is on his Lulu store, but this is not so. There are two copies going for a $100 or so on eBay, but that is just out of my price range.

I'd emailed Greg about this same issue a week or so ago (since I ordered the hardcopies of year 1 and 2, I was hoping to get a hardcopy of the core book). He sent a reply a few days ago, saying

GREG STOLZE! posted:

It's effectively discontinued: They changed their software and now it will no longer print properly. Sorry.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I picked up the softcover print and PDF version from http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16591 - they claim to still have 311 copies left.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Squidster posted:

The Gods tightly adhere to the seasons - Daughter Spring, Summer Son, Mother Autumn and Father Winter, so I'm planning on redressing the magic to be primarily elemental in nature. Since magic is dangerous and powerful, only paladins and noblemen would be allowed to be trained in the four orthodox schools of magic, whereas any town warlock can fumble his way into the Bastard's service.

Why not leave the excellent theological/magical structure of Chalion intact? I think it would be perfect for Reign. You still have general-purpose magicians, but saints both full and petty would work excellently in a Reign-style game.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

To my memory, Chalion didn't have any mages, only saints. Saints who were totally awesome, but would be exhausting for a PC to portray.

I think that the idea of a saint doesn't work well in RPGs - if one of the core themes of being a Chalion saint is obedience in the face of uncertainty, then the GM (who must speak for the god) might as well be puppeting the PC. And if the puppetmaster's commands lead into misfortune for the PC, then they're going to be righteously pissed that they followed the GM's railroad and still got screwed.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

RPGnow is having a "christmas in July" sale for the next four days. Many delightful Arc Dream pdfs on offer!

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 27, 2011

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Are there any significant differences in the mechanics between Godlike, Wild Talents and Kerberos Club? I'm not really interested in the setting for WT, I have to confess.

e; actually, does Enchyridion update the rules for Reign in any way, and if I get Kerberos Club, should I get the ORE version or the Savage Worlds one? :ohdear:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 27, 2011

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Kerberos Club is a setting for WT or Savage Worlds. I don't know about the SW version but the WT version modifies existing rules but you still need the base rules to play. WT essential edition cost 10 bucks.

WT is a setting free superhero ORE game. I've run a WT campaign since January. I made a thread about on the RPPR forums http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php?topic=1088.0

WT is extremely versatile and I've run battles with up to 17 super powered characters fighting to the death (11 good guys vs 6 bad guys all 200+ points)

Godlike is a WW2 themed supers game - all Godlike super powered characters have specific abilities - they can sense each other and negate other powers in a contest of willpower.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Are there any significant differences in the mechanics between Godlike, Wild Talents and Kerberos Club? I'm not really interested in the setting for WT, I have to confess.
WT version Kerberos Club has a freeform skill creation system that mirrors the power creation system, but otherwise everything's pretty much the same as core WT. I don't know about the Savage Worlds version. I seem to recall something about a Hero system version but I don't know if that ever happened. There's a Fate version coming out pretty soon too (like GenCon-ish).

quote:

actually, does Enchyridion update the rules for Reign in any way
Nope. There's really no erratta for Reign.

e: here's what I wrote before about the skill creation system in KC:

quote:

Ruleswise, it's pretty much standard-issue 250 point WT, but with two additions: Convictions (which are basically the same as Motivations, but are rated with dice), and a free-form skill creation system.

The skill creation system kind of mirrors the WT power creation rules; instead of Attacks/Defends/Useful, you have Broad/Flexible/Influential. Basic skills are 1 point, and it's +1 per quality.

For instance, "Boxing" is a non-modified skill, "Brawling" is B/-/-, "Criminal History" is B/F/-, "Member of Parliment" is -/-/I, and "Detective" is B/F/I. (The way the game roughly breaks it down is that (-/-/- is a Basic Skill, B/-/- is an Advanced Skill, B/F/- is a Background, -/-/I is a Social Position, and B/F/I is an Occupation.)

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 27, 2011

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Enchiridon has the base Reign/ORE rules and the first year or so of free supplements (such as Nain's one-role creature creation). Fluff not included

Godlike, from what I've gathered, is essentially an older edition of Wild Talents; the WT Essentials book has the Godlike archetype included.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Evil Mastermind posted:

WT version Kerberos Club has a freeform skill creation system that mirrors the power creation system, but otherwise everything's pretty much the same as core WT. I don't know about the Savage Worlds version. I seem to recall something about a Hero system version but I don't know if that ever happened. There's a Fate version coming out pretty soon too (like GenCon-ish).

Nope. There's really no erratta for Reign.

e: here's what I wrote before about the skill creation system in KC:

The skill system is baller as hell because it can make character creation VERY easy.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I guess this is a good place to ask.

My DM has informed me that he needs a break from DMing and asked if I would like to try my hand at it. We're a 4e group right now, and I'm sure everyone else would be happy if I just did another 4e game, but I'm digging the ORE actual plays from Role Playing Public Radio and kind of want to run this idea by them.

Is there a good starter adventure for MaoCT, A Dirty World or Wild Talents that I could use to introduce them into the system?

Of course I'd give them the choice of what they want to play, but I want to be prepared in case they actually want to try any of those systems. (I'm pretty sure they'll vote for 4e, which is fine, but you never know...)

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Pretty much every MAOCT adventure is suitable for new groups.

There isn't much written for ADW as far as I know

WT is a universal superhero game so adventures tend to be written for one of the existing settings.

Personally, I would recommend getting Road Trip and forcing your group to play that campaign. Use the postcards to entice them. One of them was drawn by KC Green. :O

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

clockworkjoe posted:

Personally, I would recommend getting Road Trip and forcing your group to play that campaign. Use the postcards to entice them. One of them was drawn by KC Green. :O

I was planning on picking that up anyway.

It's just such an esotheric system that I don't know if they'll latch onto it as readily as they would a super hero system.

CommaToes fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ThreeStep posted:

the WT Essentials book has the Godlike archetype included.

Ah, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I own Godlike but not WT, and the KC setting is what I'm interested in (along with the Godlike one, but I have the book already, and WWII supers fluff is pretty easy to come up with).

Does WT essentials included all erratas etc., since I've noticed there's a Wild Talents second edition? If so I might just grab essentials + ORE KC.