Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Coredump posted:

The car in question?

What's that in the garage beside the RX-7? Old dodge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
That's flat tires, you can see the crease.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
looks like it could be a s14?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I mean the guy sounds like an idiot, and the car is obviously pretty ragged, but some of his trade requests seem pretty reasonable.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

I mean the guy sounds like an idiot, and the car is obviously pretty ragged, but some of his trade requests seem pretty reasonable.

haha yeah I'm sure a 350z or a g35 is a fair trade :rolleyes:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

VideoTapir posted:

I was just laughing at 1) his super low-balling of how much its going to take to get the engine running right on that FD

and 2) he says "now I know this car is worth $15,000". Yeah, maybe if it was in good running order and wasn't beat to poo poo on the outside. As it is now? Give me a break.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Also it is decidedly a girl's car

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Eh, from the pictures it doesn't seem like it's that beat to poo poo. After a was and a respray of the hood/bumper, it wouldn't look too bad.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Trap Star posted:

That's a support foundation car for both the house, and the pressboard gara-shed.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Trap Star posted:

haha yeah I'm sure a 350z or a g35 is a fair trade :rolleyes:

240SX, 300ZX, Supra (well, 2nd or 3rd generation), or possibly an SC300 would be reasonable trades for that car in that condition.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure if the tires are flat, or it's been there so long that it's part of the ground.

Who cares, it's only gonna take $700-900 to fix! People love to rebuild rotaries, hell you can probably find a shop to volunteer to do it for free!

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Trap Star posted:

Definitely an SC400.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I thought it was maybe an E31 but I think you're right.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I also like how he rates the interior as 7/10 when the driver's seat is admittedly torn up.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

el topo posted:

I also like how he rates the interior as 7/10 when the driver's seat is admittedly torn up.

Uhh, there's four seats, 3 are fine. That's 75% fine, 75/100, he's rounding DOWN. Hurrrr

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

Uhh, there's four seats, 3 are fine. That's 75% fine, 75/100, he's rounding DOWN. Hurrrr

TWO, there are two seats, ha ha ha :drac:

Coredump fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 13, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Coredump posted:

TWO, there are two seats, ha ha ha :drac:

The third is your rear end in the air if you buy this pile of crap.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
I was about 10 minutes from buying this car. I like eggs SO much, but I can't convince myself that I need it, or could even fix it. Plus my G3 4WS Prelude is probably still funner to drive.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2479067392.html

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
It runs well, yet is a mechanic special. Interesting choice of words..

If you find the right people you could probably part the car out for more than $500. My wife would kill me for using the space though.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If that car is in as good condition as it appears, I think it would be worth it to replace the transmission.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I love the honesty:

1978 Austin Mini Cooper - $8750 (Mt Pleasant)

quote:

This is a real Mini. rusts, shakes, no A/C, hand crank windows, ash tray, no cup holders, Sony AM/FM CD (works when it wants to), 4 speed manual transmission, leaks oil. All the trates of a British Mini. It is regestered as a 1978, It has a sunroof, Mini Lite wheels, It runs and looks great. FUN LITTLE CAR!!!!!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The Scientist posted:

I love the honesty:

1978 Austin Mini Cooper - $8750 (Mt Pleasant)

Couldnt you buy one from England and have it boated over for like half this?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Couldnt you buy one from England and have it boated over for like half this?

I don't know what something like that is worth in the UK, but I know a few people who have had 60's Land Rover Series brought here for $5k or so, shipping and all.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I've always wondered what the titling process and everything would involve in order to do something like that. For instance I would kill for a Ute from Oz but I have no idea what it would take to get it road ready here in the states.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
a huge nightmare--doubly so if you live in California

Footwork
May 15, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Coredump posted:

The car in question?

Why do nice cars always wind up in the hands of dumbasses?

Footwork fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 14, 2011

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The Scientist posted:

I've always wondered what the titling process and everything would involve in order to do something like that. For instance I would kill for a Ute from Oz but I have no idea what it would take to get it road ready here in the states.

You can do a google search for 'Kaizo Industries' to read up about the situation with the r34 gtr's, which is the most explicit situation of the GUV'MENT bringing down the hammer on importation. Otherwise, a car 21 years old or older is "okay" for an individual to import according to the EPA, but the DOT seem to keep changing their mind about these things.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Between safety and emission regs, it's usually a huge PIA. I mean there's no way the mini's doors are gonna meet US side impact standards, etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Between safety and emission regs, it's usually a huge PIA. I mean there's no way the mini's doors are gonna meet US side impact standards, etc.

It just has to be more than 20 years old. If you want something newer than that, it's probably not going to happen.

At over 20, you need to do a few stupid things to make the DOT happy before they will register it. In most states its essentially like getting a salvage title.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
How could you go wrong with an oldsmobile 455-swapped FWD caddy with a stainless steel top, wire wheels and RR grille, factory CB radio? Needs Vogue tires and tint ASAP!

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/2439133019.html

The exclusive "get this british poo poo out of my garage" package deal.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/2493229968.html

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

aventari posted:

a huge nightmare--doubly so if you live in California

Not really. Did it with a 69 Morris Traveller, other than the DMV having to have someone come in to understand the paperwork, it was fine. They don't care about anything older than 25 years, though it would have to meet the brake/lamp and smog checks for the same engine/year. Short of meeting passenger restraint regulations, we didn't have to do anything to it.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 14, 2011

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Yeah I heard you were selling some cookies?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2442091256.html

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

I don't know what's better, the fake thrusters, the big fuckoff fartcan, or the giant DATSUN B210 lightbar

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

Gnaghi posted:

Well, it worked at increasing the audience. I wouldn't have seen it without that.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

KozmoNaut posted:

Please tell me I'm completely insane for wanting to replace my fuel-sipping reliable 3 year old 55mpg Panda diesel with an 11 year old 25mpg Citroën wagon.
I'm not going to help you, because I'm a pretty happy owner of a '93 Xantia myself. I've owned it only for 3 years now, so I don't have that much experience with it, but so far things have been smooth. The most major repair so far has been a front wheel bearing replacement, and the anti-roll bar's stay rod replacement is up next.
But to be honest, I was a bit lucky when I bought that car, because I found a stack of repair bills in the glove box; few years earlier the car has seen expensive repairs (replacement of all of the hydroelastic suspension spheres, new wiring harness etc), and I guess the PO just wanted to get rid of it quickly because I got it for cheap.

But now for my little piece of AI..
As nice as the Xantia is, it doesn't have any "extra" safety equipment, like say airbags or ABS installed. So I've been looking for some cheap car with at-least those installed, and I've seen several Opel Omegas for sale at really low prices, like this one:

This one has almost all the bells and whistles a car of that age can have, and it's going for 1000€. And if I do want all the extras, there's several MV6 models available too, which also go for something like 1500-2000€. These kind of prices usually indicate that there's something badly wrong with them, but trying to search for more information is futile, because all I can find is either "No problems ever!" or "IT SUCKS RRRARGH!".

I might be getting some extra cash soon, and if I do, I really need to go check out one of those MV6 versions in person..

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

My wife made a batch of cookies like that. They are pretty much the best thing ever.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Okay, we've all seen these "I'm selling my sports car baby because of the wife" kind of ads on Ebay. So stop churning these out, they work poorly at disguising the fact that you want to sell is a 2010 Camaro SS with a reserve price that has to be roundabout the MSRP of a brand new one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/170650112633?clk_rvr_id=244575734358

(sorry no screencap, it's quite a long ad)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

JointHorse posted:

I'm not going to help you, because I'm a pretty happy owner of a '93 Xantia myself. I've owned it only for 3 years now, so I don't have that much experience with it, but so far things have been smooth. The most major repair so far has been a front wheel bearing replacement, and the anti-roll bar's stay rod replacement is up next.
But to be honest, I was a bit lucky when I bought that car, because I found a stack of repair bills in the glove box; few years earlier the car has seen expensive repairs (replacement of all of the hydroelastic suspension spheres, new wiring harness etc), and I guess the PO just wanted to get rid of it quickly because I got it for cheap.

But now for my little piece of AI..
As nice as the Xantia is, it doesn't have any "extra" safety equipment, like say airbags or ABS installed. So I've been looking for some cheap car with at-least those installed, and I've seen several Opel Omegas for sale at really low prices, like this one:

This one has almost all the bells and whistles a car of that age can have, and it's going for 1000€. And if I do want all the extras, there's several MV6 models available too, which also go for something like 1500-2000€. These kind of prices usually indicate that there's something badly wrong with them, but trying to search for more information is futile, because all I can find is either "No problems ever!" or "IT SUCKS RRRARGH!".

I might be getting some extra cash soon, and if I do, I really need to go check out one of those MV6 versions in person..

The later Xantias have ABS and a couple of airbags, which is why I'm looking for a 2000/2001 model. But there's also this 2004 3.0 V6 Peugeot 406 for sale nearby which is tempting me something fierce:

Highest trim level for that model, one of Peugeot's best engines, complete service history, semi-annual rust prevention treatments etc. etc.. I want this car.

As for the Omega, one of my friends has a V6 Omega and he's been very pleased with it. Big, comfortable, quiet and well-built. Being an 80s/90s/early 2000s Opel, it isn't the most exciting car to drive, but as a Xantia owner that probably isn't what you're looking for anyway ;)

EDIT: I had no idea the Omega was RWD, even the last 99-03 model. That's pretty cool, perhaps I should be looking at those, too.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 15, 2011

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

el topo posted:

Okay, we've all seen these "I'm selling my sports car baby because of the wife" kind of ads on Ebay. So stop churning these out, they work poorly at disguising the fact that you want to sell is a 2010 Camaro SS with a reserve price that has to be roundabout the MSRP of a brand new one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/170650112633?clk_rvr_id=244575734358

(sorry no screencap, it's quite a long ad)

http://i.imgur.com/nJiQY.jpg

Thanks, Imgur extension!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sneakyrobber
Jan 24, 2009
That guy seems really unhappy with his wife.