Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

entris posted:

Have you been consistently studying? Have you done at least the majority of BarBri recommended assignments? Then you will be fine!

YES, YES, YES!

Edit: How much harder are the barbri questions (MBE) than the actual bar?

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roger_Mudd posted:

YES, YES, YES!

You will be fine! Yay!

Studying for and passing the bar is not difficult, it is merely tedious, which many people mistake for difficult.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

YES, YES, YES!

I haven't! I've been watching the videos at high speed and re-reading the notes. I'm a little scared but I'm cranking out the work now.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 14, 2011

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Roger_Mudd posted:

YES, YES, YES!

You'll be fine dawg. Stay on the studying track.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Roger_Mudd posted:

YES, YES, YES!

Honestly, BarBri's recommended schedule is overkill so if you're even close to doing all of the recommended reading / lectures / questions then you're going to do fine. Just don't burn out!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Wait, people are still taking the bar and haven't given up hope?

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008
Im finishing lawyer school in France and I'm taking my last exams this summer (99,9% pass rate)

I've had two job offers before the end of lawyer school, and even though I've had excellent grades (top 1% before lawyer school in law university) and I'm in a field with very good job prospects right now, a lot of my friends who do not work in tax law are also finding jobs, and I think its in part thanks to the way lawyer school works in France.

As I said before in the thread, in France you start studying law right after high school at "law university" which lasts 5 years. After that, if you want, you take the bar exam (25 to 50% pass rate) and if you pass you can attend lawyer school during 2 years (you can also work in companies right after law university without being a lawyer, but the job prospects are grim right now, because companies just love ex-lawyers).

Lawyer school is 1/3 law courses (6 months), during which you can do an internship part time and 2/3 full time internships (2 6 months internships for a total of 1 year).

In reality you do not "learn" a goddamn thing in lawyer school. The law courses are a joke and nobody takes it seriously. The only important thing in there is to find internships in law firms or companies where you'd like to work after (that's where your grades and work experience from before lawyer school at law university are useful)

I started lawyer school in January 2010 and chose to do the part time internship during the first six months, so I went to school the first 3 months with a pretty heavy courseload and then 3 months full time in a law firm. Even though that first experience in a "big" law firm was a disaster for me (I hated everything about that firm, the team, the work, the place...) it was very good because after that I knew exactly what kind of work environment I wanted, and started asking questions to people, during interviews etc, in order to make sure that I wasn't going to end up with soulless idiots who treat interns like meat.

I then worked 6 months in a big French Telecom company (you have to work 6 months, wherever you want but not in a French law firm, so you can work in London or Hong Kong in a lawfirm, or in a French company or non-profit) and after that 6 months in a big law firm.

Both of them offered me a job in June and I'm starting work in October in the company (they came back to me and offered a huge pay package, the company has an incredible team of ex-lawyers, the job itself is much more interesting job than as a junior in a law firm, 9 weeks vacation a year, etc).

Of course not everybody has secured a job before the end of lawyer school, however the vast majority of those who were active during the 1 and a half year of lawyer school and treated it seriously now have jobs.

A few fields are really hot in France right now and those who specialized in those fields during law university have no problem finding jobs: employment law, tax law, restructuring, IP, even banking and finance and M&A are starting to recover slowly.

I really think the whole system of law university for 5 Years where you learn the law full time and start to specialize followed by 1,5 year of work experience is a good combination and gives students enough time to find out which field of the law they like, whether they want to work in law firms or not (I don't), and in what kind of work environment. I find the American system crazy, you have to find your 2L summer after only 1 summer of work experience in the legal field how can you know where you want to work and what field you like. I also find it crazy that its possible to have a job offer without knowing in which field you'll end up working. what if you love litigation and end up in restructuring ? Do you have to change your job ?

Macnigore fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 14, 2011

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Macnigore posted:

I find the American system crazy, you have to find your 2L summer after only 1 summer of work experience in the legal field how can you know where you want to work and what field you like. I also find it crazy that its possible to have a job offer without knowing in which field you'll end up working. what if you love litigation and end up in restructuring ? Do you have to change your job ?

I think it's nuts how in Europe people are generally expected to decide on a career field right after high school, or sometimes even after middle school. Even in the United States I think for a lot of fields we're made to decide too early.

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008
Its true, but even though you start studying in a certain field from the start after high school, it's pretty easy to switch after 2 or 3 years to something else. Studies are pretty cheap in France so it's not such a huge decision to change what you study after 2 or 3 years. Many students try one or two first years in other fields before deciding where they want to continue.

And even if you've graduated with a law or business major, it is actually possible to work in a different field.

Many law university grads end up doing jobs absolutely not related to law. My girlfriend went to law univ for 5 years and now works as a movie producer. My mother and an uncle both went to law univ and have had careers as managers in the real estate field. Many students take the primary or secondary teacher exam, the tax administration exam or become cops, real estate agents. It's also possible to take the judge exam, become a notary clerk or a notary, a repo man etc. Contrary to the US only a small minority of law students become lawyers (i'd say around 10%).

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Macnigore posted:

Its true, but even though you start studying in a certain field from the start after high school, it's pretty easy to switch after 2 or 3 years to something else. Studies are pretty cheap in France so it's not such a huge decision to change what you study after 2 or 3 years. Many students try one or two first years in other fields before deciding where they want to continue.

And even if you've graduated with a law or business major, it is actually possible to work in a different field.

Many law university grads end up doing jobs absolutely not related to law. My girlfriend went to law univ for 5 years and now works as a movie producer. My mother and an uncle both went to law univ and have had careers as managers in the real estate field. Many students take the primary or secondary teacher exam, the tax administration exam or become cops, real estate agents. It's also possible to take the judge exam, become a notary clerk or a notary, a repo man etc. Contrary to the US only a small minority of law students become lawyers (i'd say around 10%).

Seems like a waste of a few years time, to me at least.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Got my official offer today. Staff attorney with a big law firm, in the high end estate planning practice. Salary is lower than I wanted (under $100k) but I don't really care because it's still a great opportunity. The best part is that their health insurance will cover my pregnant wife.

Don't know billables yet.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

entris posted:

Salary is lower than I wanted (under $100k)
Poor baby.

(gettin' laid off today)

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

yeah I'm not buying that people are turning down Yale for Duke. Wealthy elite attend HYS because they've been groomed for it.

also the author doesn't seem familiar with HYS need-based aid. My parents are employed in two of the jobs the author lists as middle-class and HYS need-based aid ended up giving me more money than Duke or any other T14 except maybe one did, and that's still only a difference of a few thousand dollars.

The author also talks about the necessity of working in biglaw if you have HYS debt, but 70%~ of HLS' class ends up doing that anyway. A majority of law school students want to work in biglaw, debt or no.

It could be worse. Law schools could actually care about your undergraduate school. There's a large degree of merit involved in law school admissions, at least, and one's decisions prior to one's undergraduate education isn't too strongly held against them.

The entire premise seems sort of self-defeating when you look at the fact that HYS are the only schools that help students out, scholarship-wise, based on financial need. It would likely be more accurate to compare the non-HYS T15 to T1 and T2 schools, I imagine that might result in a more fruitful point about the domination of the wealthy elite among elite law schools.

I can't speak to Harvard or Stanford, but I think Prof. Jack Balkin probably won't let something vastly inaccurate as to how Yale works get posted on the blog he runs.

The culture at Yale (and Harvard, from what I've heard) is insanely geared towards the wealthy elite in a way that doesn't seem replicated at non-HYS law schools. Moreover, it's geared towards family experience. I can count the number of students in my year who don't have lawyer family on one hand, and most of those are rather prestigious fuckers as well. Also, Harvard has a huge reputation for culturally pushing people into Biglaw, so I'm hesitant to say that "a majority want to work in big law, debt or no." 70% end up working in Biglaw, but that overlaps pretty significantly with the 70% who have debt (it's hard for it not to, considering that >70% of HLS students are in debt).

HYS need-based aid is pretty generous, but it only goes up to tuition - you don't get COL stipends, at least not at Yale, and even New Haven is expensive when you basically can't work an income-generating job during the year (Cambridge and Palo Alto are, of course, much worse).

Also, law schools do care about your undergrad schools. You're a 0L, right? Count how many HYP kids are in your class, then add in the rest of the Ivies (all Ivies constitue about 50% of YLS's rising 2L class). I'm not saying this overlaps with the wealthy elite necessarily, because I'd say that about 90% of the Hispanic and black students at YLS come from the Ivies. But it does seem to matter in terms of admissions.

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER
Successfully transferred into Harvard from a T25 school. I know that there's no jobs and I'm going to die alone, but goddamn if I don't feel happy as hell knowing I get to attend one of the big three schools and stay with my significant other in Boston.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

The Warszawa posted:

Also, law schools do care about your undergrad schools. You're a 0L, right? Count how many HYP kids are in your class, then add in the rest of the Ivies (all Ivies constitue about 50% of YLS's rising 2L class). I'm not saying this overlaps with the wealthy elite necessarily, because I'd say that about 90% of the Hispanic and black students at YLS come from the Ivies. But it does seem to matter in terms of admissions.
I wonder how much of that is law schools caring about schools, versus just HYP/Ivy leaguers representing a group of people who do really well at standardized tests, and are driven by prestige in school and job choices.

e: Also, I had no idea where most of classmates went to undergrad, and I certainly had no idea what even my friends' parents did.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 14, 2011

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

gvibes posted:

I wonder how much of that is law schools caring about schools, versus just representing a group of people who do really well at standardized tests, and choose "prestigious" jobs like law.

e: Also, I had no idea where most of classmates went to undergrad, and I certainly had no idea what even my friends' parents did.

I mean, as anyone in this thread can tell you, there're lots of people from less-famous undergrads with great LSAT scores. I don't think the test-taking ability is so disproportionately consolidated in the Ivies so as to justify the representation.

It's weird, because a lot of it is the culture - like I said, geared towards a certain kind of person from a certain kind of school. People tend to talk about their undergrad and their prestige markers, which usually include what their parents did. I'm not a fan of it. I don't know where you went, so I can only speak to the culture at the one school I've attended.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 14, 2011

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

gvibes posted:

I wonder how much of that is law schools caring about schools, versus just HYP/Ivy leaguers representing a group of people who do really well at standardized tests, and are driven by prestige in school and job choices.

The tests and drive to prestige are part of it but a lot of it is grooming and culture.

I know that Harvard Medical School reserves a certain percentage of its incoming class for Harvard graduates. Period.

Medical school is something where poo poo actually matters, so I can only assume that there is a similar filtering effect that goes on for law schools.

e: I mean think about undergrad. There are private high schools which are feeders to Ivies. Phillips Andover, Exeter; these are schools which send a plurality of their kids to Harvard and Yale. They send more kids to those schools than they do to any other school. Choate, Hotchkiss, Deerfield, St Grottlesex, Menlo, Thatcher, Sidwell, Dalton, on down the line. Most private high schools aren't like this, but there are private high schools in this country where they exist to get your kid into Ivy League colleges, where the majority of any given graduating class goes to the Ivy League, because of grooming, because of culture, because of legacy, because of a sense of "we know them, they are like us, they are safe", because of all of these things.

Some of this is conscious, some of it subconscious; I would be shocked if at the very least the subconscious part wasn't at play for HYS law drawing from HYS undergrads.

Petey fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 14, 2011

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

drat Phantom posted:

Successfully transferred into Harvard from a T25 school. I know that there's no jobs and I'm going to die alone, but goddamn if I don't feel happy as hell knowing I get to attend one of the big three schools and stay with my significant other in Boston.
Hey congrats. You beat out the #1 kid from my T30 (and plenty of others, I'm sure).

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

drat Phantom posted:

Congrats. This is much better than your plan to transfer to BU.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

The Warszawa posted:

The culture at Yale (and Harvard, from what I've heard) is insanely geared towards the wealthy elite in a way that doesn't seem replicated at non-HYS law schools. Moreover, it's geared towards family experience. I can count the number of students in my year who don't have lawyer family on one hand, and most of those are rather prestigious fuckers as well. Also, Harvard has a huge reputation for culturally pushing people into Biglaw, so I'm hesitant to say that "a majority want to work in big law, debt or no." 70% end up working in Biglaw, but that overlaps pretty significantly with the 70% who have debt (it's hard for it not to, considering that >70% of HLS students are in debt).
Don't know Yale, but this seems pretty wrong on most counts for Harvard:
- what do you mean by "geared to towards the wealthy elite?" It's not like we go yachting or anything.
- non-trivial number of really rich kids, but most people are standard upper-middle-class, just like everyone at a good undergrad.
- H pushes people into biglaw, it's true, but the ones who don't take it aren't usually the rich kids. Well, some don't, but it seems pretty orthogonal.

Re: good undergrads at HYS - obviously people feed from good undergrads (this is responding to someone else's comment), but that's at least partially because people at good undergrads (a) test well because they're selected for it and (b) grade inflate. I would estimate 50% ivy+ is about right for Harvard too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ani posted:

- non-trivial number of really rich kids, but most people are standard upper-middle-class, just like everyone at a good undergrad.
If your parents have a net worth over $1 million excluding the primary home, you don't get to be upper-middle-class.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

nm posted:

If your parents have a net worth over $1 million, you don't get to be upper-middle-class.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

If the parents are 65 and retiring, $1M buys you about $65k a year in a fixed joint annuity. That won't index for inflation.

Although a lot of people are worse off than that, I think it's probably fair to call them upper middle class. A pair of retirees, each with OK pensions (like the ~31k average teachers pension) is about in the same spot.

e: But there have been terrible semantic threads on the meaning of "rich," so I don't know why I'm starting this.

e2: I suppose that most students' parents will be substantially younger than 65, so come to think of it, I can get on board with generalization. I am old and my parents are old.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 15, 2011

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

The Warszawa posted:

I can't speak to Harvard or Stanford, but ...

The culture at Yale (and Harvard, from what I've heard) is insanely geared towards the wealthy elite in a way that doesn't seem replicated at non-HYS law schools. Moreover, it's geared towards family experience. I can count the number of students in my year who don't have lawyer family on one hand, and most of those are rather prestigious fuckers as well. Also, Harvard has a huge reputation for culturally pushing people into Biglaw...
I don't think this is very accurate for Stanford, either. There are certainly some very wealthy elites in my class, but there are also people who come from actual blue collar families without a lawyer (or doctor, etc.) in the family. Most people qualify for the public interest summer funding (which requires students to be qualified for need-based aid)--those that don't are in the clear minority.

As to Biglaw, the most recent ABA data has 108/181 (60%) of graduates in Biglaw, I think anyone who wants to do Biglaw can, but plenty of people don't want to and that's perfectly acceptable--my class also has 31 Public Interest Fellows (meaning they've committed to doing public interest work for at least 3 years after clerkships), and lots of others that aren't sure or didn't want to commit to 3 years or whatever.

The Warszawa posted:

I checked my class's facebook because I was interested to see how many we have. In the rising SLS 3L class, 23 went to HYP (12% of the class), with an additional 18 in the rest of the Ivy League (so all Ivies make up 21% of my class).

The Warszawa posted:

It's weird, because a lot of it is the culture - like I said, geared towards a certain kind of person from a certain kind of school. People tend to talk about their undergrad and their prestige markers, which usually include what their parents did. I'm not a fan of it. I don't know where you went, so I can only speak to the culture at the one school I've attended.
Only a few people from Harvard constantly mention their pedigree--I had no idea until looking at the facebook that so many went to the Ivy League for undergrad. I also only know parents' occupations for a few of my closer friends.

There are some prestigious d-bags in my class, and I certainly complain about them, but based on these descriptions, I think Stanford is a pretty good place (and I think I chose the right place for me for law school).

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

I can't speak to Harvard or Stanford, but I think Prof. Jack Balkin probably won't let something vastly inaccurate as to how Yale works get posted on the blog he runs.

HYS need-based aid is pretty generous, but it only goes up to tuition - you don't get COL stipends, at least not at Yale, and even New Haven is expensive when you basically can't work an income-generating job during the year (Cambridge and Palo Alto are, of course, much worse).

I'm a 0L, yes. I do have the list of incoming students, however, and at HLS I would say significantly less than 50% are from Ivy undergrad, but it's still very sizable.

I don't claim that undergraduate doesn't matter, but it doesn't make or break, as it might with Petey's example of Harvard Medical School. There are surprisingly few Harvard grads on the list attending HLS.

On the point of need-based aid only covering up to tuition, yes, that's true of HLS also. But the article discusses going to HYS or going to another T15. So yes, a person might be able to get COL covered at another school, but I really doubt people are taking full scholarships to Duke over paying 70k to attend YLS. I'm certain it has happened, but I do not think it is the overwhelming reason as to why HYS might be elite-biased.

I think my point is being missed a bit, though. The data indicates that HYS and most of the T15s are attended by students from upper class and elite families. I am not disputing that. I just don't think it is because all the middle-class kids who get in are instead going to Duke and UC Berkeley and Georgetown instead on a full ride. I think HYS is upper class because the upper class is groomed for it. They can afford the personal tutors to get LSAT scores into the 170s. They can afford to take on summer internships instead of summer jobs. They can travel and fill out their resumes in expensive major cities. They have prep schools on their resumes and they attended private schools, were data indicates GPAs are far more inflated than at public universities.

HYS have certain criteria and the upper class meet them more often than the other classes do. It isn't that poor middle class students are frightened away by the cost. Thousands and thousands of middle class students are attending T4s and paying about the same as they might at HYS. HYS might have wealthy elite cultures, but for a reason different than the one stated in the blog post.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

On the point of need-based aid only covering up to tuition, yes, that's true of HLS also. But the article discusses going to HYS or going to another T15. So yes, a person might be able to get COL covered at another school, but I really doubt people are taking full scholarships to Duke over paying 70k to attend YLS. I'm certain it has happened, but I do not think it is the overwhelming reason as to why HYS might be elite-biased.

What? Has anyone ever heard of a T14 giving not only a full scholarship, but a COL stipend? It's not a PhD.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

MoFauxHawk posted:

What? Has anyone ever heard of a T14 giving not only a full scholarship, but a COL stipend? It's not a PhD.

Fairly certain Chicago does. I don't know about others. Unless I'm misusing "COL," I just mean they cover housing and other school costs that are assessed as part of the student budget.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Fairly certain Chicago does. I don't know about others. Unless I'm misusing "COL," I just mean they cover housing and other school costs that are assessed as part of the student budget.

I dunno how it works in the South, but in my State a "COL stipend" would never, ever apply to a city the size of Chicago. A COL stipend is used to equate the salary of a person living in place A and a person living in place B when the cost of a gallon of milk (as a generic average) in A = 1.75(B).

The cost of living stipend is the increase of payment for the super rural folks in B who work for the same agency as A, but need to get paid 75% more to earn net equal amounts.

What are you referring to is room and board. COL stipend is something totally different, as defined by my State.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

HYS have certain criteria and the upper class meet them more often than the other classes do.

Please tell us more about how you high class folk behave, we're all a-flutter to follow your adventures of being rich and famous and powerful and probably amazing :allears:

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 15, 2011

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
I don't think COL stipend is the right term when applied to scholarships, anyway.

also yeah let's ignore my earlier mentions of being broke and from a lower middle class family. When I say upper class individuals dominate HYS admissions, I don't mean it as a good thing.

topheryan fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 15, 2011

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

I don't think COL stipend is the right term when applied to scholarships, anyway.

Yeah. I get what you're saying. I'm just saying... yeah. Word. :):respek::)

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

BigHead posted:

What are you referring to is room and board. COL stipend is something totally different, as defined by my State.

I'm used to that being referred to as a COL adjustment. I don't think we're using an incorrect term, even if they call it a COL stipend in your state. We're talking about a stipend to pay for the cost of living, which means what it costs to live. Room and board would be giving free housing, which is something colleges often give people as part of a scholarship, but I've never heard of law schools doing. That's not the same as giving people 20-30k per year to do what they want with.

Edit: And I don't know where you heard Chicago gives full scholarships with stipends, Ducks. They didn't even give full scholarships until this year, and I posted the link to that announcement and it doesn't mention stipends. There's never going to be a choice between T14 full ride plus stipend and HYS full ride without stipend, I think, or between full ride plus stipend at T14 and sticker price at HYS.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 15, 2011

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

I'm a 0L, yes. I do have the list of incoming students, however, and at HLS I would say significantly less than 50% are from Ivy undergrad, but it's still very sizable.

I don't claim that undergraduate doesn't matter, but it doesn't make or break, as it might with Petey's example of Harvard Medical School. There are surprisingly few Harvard grads on the list attending HLS.

I think my point is being missed a bit, though. The data indicates that HYS and most of the T15s are attended by students from upper class and elite families. I am not disputing that. I just don't think it is because all the middle-class kids who get in are instead going to Duke and UC Berkeley and Georgetown instead on a full ride. I think HYS is upper class because the upper class is groomed for it. They can afford the personal tutors to get LSAT scores into the 170s. They can afford to take on summer internships instead of summer jobs. They can travel and fill out their resumes in expensive major cities. They have prep schools on their resumes and they attended private schools, were data indicates GPAs are far more inflated than at public universities.

Almost as if there's a hidden cost to law school ....

While Tamanaha doesn't make this point I think these are all things to consider as the "cost" of attending Yale and therefore look at how they bias the field for or against certain demographics.

quote:

HYS have certain criteria and the upper class meet them more often than the other classes do. It isn't that poor middle class students are frightened away by the cost. Thousands and thousands of middle class students are attending T4s and paying about the same as they might at HYS. HYS might have wealthy elite cultures, but for a reason different than the one stated in the blog post.

You're comparing disparate populations here. The people who are getting into Yale aren't paying sticker at a T4, they're paying cost-of-living at Duke or Cornell. Given how tiered the top echelon of legal employment is, you don't see where that's consolidating disproportionate power in the profession in the hands of a privileged few, completely independent of actual merit?

I enjoy YLS and I'm one of the 50% that came from an Ivy, but as one of like 3 people of color in my class I'm pretty shocked at how the class skews both in terms of status and culture.

MoFauxHawk posted:

It's not unheard of. The Darrow at Mich I think pays some money out and I know the Dillard at UVA gives like a 15k stipend.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Cooley Law School is literally suing people for defamation, tortious interference with business relations, and false light

I guess I should make it clear that going to Valpo does not mean you will in fact dine on Alpo.

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008
I wrote a letter to myself does anyone have a time machine.

TheAttackSlug fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 15, 2011

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

You're comparing disparate populations here. The people who are getting into Yale aren't paying sticker at a T4, they're paying cost-of-living at Duke or Cornell. Given how tiered the top echelon of legal employment is, you don't see where that's consolidating disproportionate power in the profession in the hands of a privileged few, completely independent of actual merit?

If this were actually happening I would agree. Obviously we don't have the data regarding HYS need-based aid disbursement, but my understanding is it very consistent and transparent, so I can use my own experience with it to extrapolate the amount of aid other individuals might receive. All I can say on that point is that if someone is indeed solidly "middle-class" and has parents earning anywhere near average income, they won't pay sticker at HYS. It would be more like paying an extra ten grand a year for HYS. Perhaps people go to Duke or Cornell or anywhere else over HYS to save ten grand a year, but again, I'm not sold on that.

Again, I completely agree that the T15 is consolidating disproportionate power in the hands of a privileged few, but for reasons beyond the possible fact that Berkeley or Duke or Chicago give better scholarships. HYS only give their scholarships based on need, the recipients of scholarships at any other T15 schools may in fact have a wealthy family. It seems to me that HYS financial aid promotes socio-economic equality at those schools, but other admissions factors do not. If you're stating that the entire T15 promotes inequality in the profession, I also agree with that, but again I don't think it's because someone can't afford Duke so they go to Cooley.

MoFauxHawk posted:

I'm used to that being referred to as a COL adjustment. I don't think we're using an incorrect term, even if they call it a COL stipend in your state. We're talking about a stipend to pay for the cost of living, which means what it costs to live. Room and board would be giving free housing, which is something colleges often give people as part of a scholarship, but I've never heard of law schools doing. That's not the same as giving people 20-30k per year to do what they want with.

Edit: And I don't know where you heard Chicago gives full scholarships with stipends, Ducks. They didn't even give full scholarships until this year, and I posted the link to that announcement and it doesn't mention stipends. There's never going to be a choice between T14 full ride plus stipend and HYS full ride without stipend, I think, or between full ride plus stipend at T14 and sticker price at HYS.

I believe the Rubenstein at Chicago covers room and board. Again, that's what I mean by COL stipend. It is less common but I'm fairly certain it happens.

topheryan fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 15, 2011

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

If this were actually happening I would agree. Obviously we don't have the data regarding HYS need-based aid disbursement, but my understanding is it very consistent and transparent, so I can use my own experience with it to extrapolate the amount of aid other individuals might receive. All I can say on that point is that if someone is indeed solidly "middle-class" and has parents earning anywhere near average income, they won't pay sticker at HYS. It would be more like paying an extra ten grand a year for HYS. Perhaps people go to Duke or Cornell or anywhere else over HYS to save ten grand a year, but again, I'm not sold on that.

Why aren't you sold on that? It seems like we agree up to the point that people actually make decisions based on immediate financial pressures as opposed to prestige, considering that to most people the return differential between Cornell and HYS appears pretty small.

quote:

I believe the Rubenstein at Chicago covers room and board. Again, that's what I mean by COL stipend. It is less common but I'm fairly certain it happens.

Yeah, COL = room and board, at least as far as my argument goes. But the only scholarships that give out those stipends are merit-based (Dillard, Darrow, etc.), so they're not necessarily (or even probably) going to the applicants that would need COL coverage to make the decision affordable. They're disproportionately going to go to students who have had the resources to develop the exceptional resumes (via unpaid stuff, LSAT classes, etc.), rather than the actually middle-class people who had to cover costs in undergrad.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
In a stronger market you might be able to say that the return differential between Cornell and HYS seems pretty small, but right now, I doubt it. My understanding is also that Cornell is a bit of an outlier, with better hiring prospects than its rank indicates. It is also more difficult to get into, requiring a phone interview and a difficult fee waiver system. Maybe they've fixed that, but they hadn't for last admissions cycle. For the other schools around that rank it seems a different story.

There are people in this very thread who have advocated attending HYS at sticker but not attending anything above say Columbia with anything short of a room and board scholarship. I hear Berkeley students are feeling a bit of pressure right now, I doubt they'd pass up HYS for an extra ten grand a year. Law school students are often poorly informed, but I doubt they're so poorly informed as to believe that an extra ten grand a year won't pay itself off in the long run if the degree has Yale's name attached to it. Admitted student weekends will hammer this into anyone who attends them, after all.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Linguica posted:

Cooley Law School is literally suing people for defamation, tortious interference with business relations, and false light

I guess I should make it clear that going to Valpo does not mean you will in fact dine on Alpo.

Check out the complaint and look at "Exhibit D." Cooley is proposing to enter into evidence a forum post from jdunderground where posters such as "shithead" and "PeniSoid" offer their opinions on Cooley's prestigious reputation. I would love to watch the jury as that exhibit is read into the record.

Also, doesn't this suit open the school up to a particularly nasty round of discovery regarding their reputation and employment statistics?

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

I enjoy YLS and I'm one of the 50% that came from an Ivy, but as one of like 3 people of color in my class I'm pretty shocked at how the class skews both in terms of status and culture.

Like 3? Or like 74?

Harvard and Yale were once, undoubtedly, redoubts of the white and wealthy. And, yes, the upper- and upper-middle-class are still overrepresented for reasons intelligently explained by others above. But this Stover at Yale caricature that you're describing is far from accurate today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

ewr2870 posted:

Like 3? Or like 74?
Is he perhaps only counting underrepresented minorities as people of color?