Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

TastyAvocado posted:

Wanna play some VANQUISH now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Bluemilker posted:

I swear, I tried to thin my paints. I really did. But they wound up either super-liquidy, spreading everywhere, or not liquid enough, and leaving gloppy patches.

Thinning paints takes some getting used to. I'm sure you've seen it here before, "consistency of milk" and what not. You won't get it right all the time even after doing it hundreds of times, but I find that I'd rather have my paints be a little too thin than not thin enough. Helpful way to measure (for myself at least) is after you add water, when you pull the paint out across the palette and it starts to contract back into itself, you're about where you want to be. But, all and all, you are off to a good start. The rest is just practice.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Crayvex posted:

I'm not an expert either. I wore a similar uniform in marching band. I was under the impression that the epaulets (shoulder things) can look like any color. Doh! I can't repaint the 120+ other guys!

Thanks, I'm going forward with this color scheme then.

When I looked at him next to the troops I noticed that they also had the epaulets in the same color, so it works since it is their uniform. The clothing of your future space army men don't have to automatically look like how I have seen similar articles here and now.

I didn't want to nitpick, I was really looking for your knowledge about army uniforms or thoughts about color theory. So seriously, they look good!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sole.Sushi posted:

Thinning paints takes some getting used to. I'm sure you've seen it here before, "consistency of milk" and what not. You won't get it right all the time even after doing it hundreds of times, but I find that I'd rather have my paints be a little too thin than not thin enough. Helpful way to measure (for myself at least) is after you add water, when you pull the paint out across the palette and it starts to contract back into itself, you're about where you want to be. But, all and all, you are off to a good start. The rest is just practice.

Always put less on the brush than you think you need too. This is the most common reason for paint going everywhere.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Bhyo posted:

Always put less on the brush than you think you need too. This is the most common reason for paint going everywhere.

Spot on advice right here: thinner paints especially need to be controlled more so than thicker paints, but the extra effort is well worth it.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Spent a bit more time on this guy than on some of the others, I think the effort paid off but drat if highlighting the feathers isn't cumbersome.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

You talented gently caress, stop making me cream myself every time you post.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TastyAvocado posted:

I had the worst painting day today. I took a break from my marines to try a bunch of new techniques and work on a couple of effects I wanted for when I do my next Infinity group.... it was a disaster. I couldn't get anything to work out, nothing I tried looked anything like how I wanted, even when I tried again with techniques I'm comfortable with. I feel like I have no idea what I have to do to get to the next level of painting.

To make myself feel better I took a new, better picture of two of my favourite models. I've posted them already but screw you you have to see them again :mad:

If these were what Tau models looked like, nobody would hate them.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I just varnished Scaverous so i'm gonna post some pics:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Fyrbrand posted:

Took some better pics per Ashcan's suggestion.

Also reshot Xavier since I had him out. I probably will never use him in game. Oh well.

Are they looking around that storage tank looking for four turtles and a rat? I sure was...

Well Frybrand, what do you have to say for yourself?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

Are they looking around that storage tank looking for four turtles and a rat? I sure was...

Well Frybrand, what do you have to say for yourself?

:negative:

I just found those models the other day. If I can remember where I put them, I'll get them done this week.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

richyp posted:

Spent a bit more time on this guy than on some of the others, I think the effort paid off but drat if highlighting the feathers isn't cumbersome.

Lemme guess, you highlighted each individual feather and it still only took you 20 minutes.

Stop making me hate you richyp.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Lemme guess, you highlighted each individual feather and it still only took you 20 minutes.

It's not drybrushing, it's two-brush wetblending. RICHYP :argh:

VVV I will hunt you down, eat your brain, and my Morgellon's Organ will teach me all your secrets, richyp.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 14, 2011

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
^^^
More of a two brush blending drybrush, one dry, one wet. Paint on the dark blue mixed with some paint drying retarder, then brush in the lighter shade using a drybrush style stroke to pull the lighter colour towards the edges. Followed by a light drybrush of the armour colour on the tips.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

4hrs, but I did highlight the feathers :smith:

richyp fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 14, 2011

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bistromatic posted:

This looks real nice

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

richyp posted:

4hrs, but I did highlight the feathers :smith:

Wow, that's about how long it takes me to paint. I feel better now!

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I decided to try and make a few blood bowlers for a necromantic team and here are the early results. Still working on the wights and ghouls but I'm fairly happy with my flesh golems and werewolves.

First time using metallic paint and I really like the effect a black wash gave to the FG's shoulder pad. Its hard to see in the picture but the taller golem's longer arm has a metal medical brace and the shorter one's gimpy leg has a similar rig.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Here's my finished CSM test model:

I still can't decide on a gun colour however, so i really need some more ideas.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lungboy posted:

Navy blue

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Black.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Chenghiz posted:

Black.

Agreed with this.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I was thinking black would be too dark, but with the pale basing i think it might be ok.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Lungboy posted:

I was thinking black would be too dark, but with the pale basing i think it might be ok.

Whenever you're worried about something being too black, drybrush highlights onto it that are light. Like light blue.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Bistromatic posted:

That's an awesome model (that I've never seen before) and an awesome paint job to go along with it.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
:rock:Motherfuckin' SWARMLORD!:rock:

Finally done painting up the beast, who is now ready to hand out some bonesword justice on behalf of Hive Kraken. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Aside from the serrated edges of its horns (which I thought looked dumb), it's an exact mockup of the Swarmlord pictured in the codex, double-tail and all.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Whoah.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Scaverous and erebus are the only 2 models that could tempt me to play cryx. Really nice job bistro, did you find assembling him hard?

MSP: i am halfway through a chaos army then your guard dude is next. Fix mailed me the model a while ago

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

PierreTheMime posted:

Finally done painting up the beast, who is now ready to hand out some bonesword justice on behalf of Hive Kraken. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Aside from the serrated edges of its horns (which I thought looked dumb), it's an exact mockup of the Swarmlord pictured in the codex, double-tail and all.

Wow. This is drat cool.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Dark copper? Definitely needs a drum mag.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PierreTheMime posted:

You silly goose, you painted the bloodspatter on backwards!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Holy poo poo I paint things

oh cool an ugly rear end seam I didn't Green Stuff

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 15, 2011

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Attn: Bachtere Re: Witchfate Tor

Please post pics of yours, preferably lots of pics, at your earliest convenience tia. (I need them for a secret project.)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So I have a pretty lovely situation.

I've been painting a bunch of models and wanted to make sure that paint was protected, so I had my friend bring me a can of Purity Seal from the UK while they were visiting.

Then, I sprayed my models with it.

Something went wrong, but I have no idea what. Either the spray got hosed up from being on an airplane or it was too humid outside or it was a bad can or something, but now it looks like my models have a layer of snow on them.

I'm pretty sure I'm just loving boned and I have no what do to. Do I get in touch with GW? I assume I can't strip the varnish without stripping the paint.

This is fairly upsetting given how much work went into all of my miniatures.

Advice?

Edit: I tried taking some photos, but it doesn't show up well with the camera I have.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 15, 2011

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Haraksha posted:

So I have a pretty lovely situation.

I've been painting a bunch of models and wanted to make sure that paint was protected, so I had my friend bring me a can of Purity Seal from the UK while they were visiting.

Then, I sprayed my models with it.

Something went wrong, but I have no idea what. Either the spray got hosed up from being on an airplane or it was too humid outside or it was a bad can or something, but now it looks like my models have a layer of snow on them.

I'm pretty sure I'm just loving boned and I have no what do to. Do I get in touch with GW? I assume I can't strip the varnish without stripping the paint.

This is fairly upsetting given how much work went into all of my miniatures.

Advice?

Edit: I tried taking some photos, but it doesn't show up well with the camera I have.

I had this happen a couple of times too :britain:

Dont Panic, bring the can indoors for an hour, then shake it vigorously and spray the can over the models again. Fingers crossed that should fix it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
How does that fix it? It just sounds like it would add another layer to the existing layer of "snow".

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Haraksha posted:

How does that fix it? It just sounds like it would add another layer to the existing layer of "snow".

You can also put on a coat of glossy brush on varnish, then after that dries apply a layer of matte varnish. That will restore it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Haraksha posted:

the spray contains solvent that will dissolve the opaque layer.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
^^^ efb

Haraksha posted:

The solvents in the spray will break up the deposits that have formed on the model. It usually happens due to humidity. I remember panicing and being skeptical too when it happend the first time, but after reading it online I just shook the poo poo out of the same can and reapplied.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Haraksha posted:

Purity Seal

If you can, find an alternative varnish: Purity Seal is universally a lovely varnish, and is really never predictable. For recommendations, check the OP in this thread (I personally love Testors brand varnishes, but there are many other good ones, both spray and brush-on).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
So I just picked up a new commission to do some miniatures based on this and this.

I'm all down for crazy sculpting and painting commissions, but I'm a bit stumped on something:

I have all the parts for proto, he's heavily custom, I used parts from a guardian as an armature. His chaingun/hand cannon thingy is gonna be from the obliterator sprue, head from a chaos marauder horseman. You know, general kitbash stuff. What I'm stuck on is his goddamn shield. It would be easy to get a similar bit, but again I have to stress needing a GW bit as base.

Right now I see my options are basically to search endlessly for a random piece of plastic that is the right shape or cut two chaos warrior shields in half to make a loosely ovular thing. I'd like it if anyone knew of an actual GW bit (I'm ATTEMPTING to make this tournament legal) I could use since this is going to be a counts as autarch. Last resort I can use the terminator captain storm shield which I have, but I was sort of planning on selling that sprue (or trading it etc).

In addition, does anyone know of a company that makes a heroic scale classic American/British style motorcycle? Ideally something close to a Bonneville or a R71. The bike can be any company because its going to be a decorative base object.

• Locked thread