Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
I was under the impression that FWD vehicles are limited in terms of how much horsepower they can actually put down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

I was under the impression that FWD vehicles are limited in terms of how much horsepower they can actually put down?

Pretty much, yes, at least compared to RWD. In FWD the faster you accelerate, the more weight transfers to the back and the less driving traction you have. In RWD, the weight shifts backwards and helps. That's why FWD drag cars still have wheelie bars even though they can't actually do a wheelie, to prevent that weight transfer.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

Lowclock posted:

Pretty much, yes, at least compared to RWD. In FWD the faster you accelerate, the more weight transfers to the back and the less driving traction you have. In RWD, the weight shifts backwards and helps. That's why FWD drag cars still have wheelie bars even though they can't actually do a wheelie, to prevent that weight transfer.

This is why powerful FWD cars like the MS3 electronically limit turbo boost in low gear. Wheelspin is bad enough in a RWD car, but torque steer is another beast entirely. Even my relatively weak Saab 900 (200 or so bhp) can surprise the crap out of me when it hits boost. It will literally try to tear the wheel out of your hands and punt you into the wall, especially in the rain.

Anything more than 300 bhp in a FWD street car is a waste.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

ACEofsnett posted:

It will literally try to tear the wheel out of your hands and punt you into the wall, especially in the rain.
Yes what the gently caress I hate this. Don't get me wrong, the 9-3 is an okay car otherwise, but after this, no more FWD for me.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Torque steer is an rear end in a top hat.

But in good news, I've said gently caress it and will just keep running my winters on these rims, and I'm getting the exhaust leak fixed. I hate going to a shop, but there's really nothing I can do. I have no tools here, and can't do it on in my tiny driveway that is super slanted.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, went and checked out an '04 9-5 Aero. Nice car but the price was a little higher than I wanted, so I made an offer about 15% below what the guy was asking. He called back a day later accepting it, so unless something goes awry I am picking it up in two days. Silver wagon, with the usual frills (air conditioned seats, parking sensors, bla bla). Looking forward to getting a little more power than my stock 154hp 9-3.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, went and checked out an '04 9-5 Aero.

:dance: Congratulations. Can't think of anything I can think of - offhand - about an '04. I usually deal with sludgers, because they're affordable.

Speaking of, found a 2K 9-3 'Vert w/ 83k miles, all records, and it's obviously low on hydraulic fluid which is messing up the lift, but not the drop. Think I can get it for $3,500 - $4k cash.

Wish I had that much money for a toy - it would be awesome.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Viggen posted:

:dance: Congratulations. Can't think of anything I can think of - offhand - about an '04. I usually deal with sludgers, because they're affordable.

Speaking of, found a 2K 9-3 'Vert w/ 83k miles, all records, and it's obviously low on hydraulic fluid which is messing up the lift, but not the drop. Think I can get it for $3,500 - $4k cash.

gently caress. We paid $7k for ours with 97k miles and no records. :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
On a first-gen 9-3, when do the red lights on the hatch light up?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Faerunner posted:

gently caress. We paid $7k for ours with 97k miles and no records. :(

That's OK. I paid $6900 for mine at 92k over a year ago with a dead SID, and it had (very well hidden) body damage. Despite being an SE, it has a manual passenger seat, and manual climate controls, but is leather. Strangest drat thing I have ever run into. At least the top is solid. Having to pay to fix that now, though, since some fucker sideswiped it in a parking lot and the doesn't-quite-fit right window shim stopped working so it fell through the bottom - and my other parts aren't usable on it. :dance:

kimbo305 posted:

On a first-gen 9-3, when do the red lights on the hatch light up?

Uhm.. when you hit the brakes, unless the wires are broken?

I don't believe first gen had the magical bulb sensor technology - but bare in mind, I'm talking straight out of my rear end since I can't log into WIS from here to check, and I've had a pint of something cinnamon-y this evening.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Viggen posted:

That's OK. I paid $6900 for mine at 92k over a year ago with a dead SID, and it had (very well hidden) body damage. Despite being an SE, it has a manual passenger seat, and manual climate controls, but is leather. Strangest drat thing I have ever run into. At least the top is solid. Having to pay to fix that now, though, since some fucker sideswiped it in a parking lot and the doesn't-quite-fit right window shim stopped working so it fell through the bottom - and my other parts aren't usable on it. :dance:

Yikes. Ours is also an SE with all the trimmings and according to ssh, who ran the VIN here in the thread it also has the Aero package (Which I might not recognize if there were two with and two without in a line, to be honest.)

We had a failing DIC, but as mentioned waaaay earlier in the thread the dealer replaced it on his dime (Real nice father and son dealership, I'd buy from them again in a heartbeat... if they didn't mostly specialize in cars outside our price range) and have a vacuum leak that we still need to take care of, but other than that it's been pretty good for us.

Though the CD player died shortly after we started playing burned CDs in it, and the LCD on the air conditioning is temperamental (But it still works) and there's a few squeaks. I guess we did alright after all.

We actually have the original window sticker stuck in the owner's manual. If I think about it next time I drive it I'll grab it and throw it in the scanner for the fun of it. It's amazing how little the price of an Aero convertible has inflated since 2000, the sticker price on ours was something like $46k. Aren't the current models only $42-43k?

Just for the fun of it, here's the info ssh pulled up on it earlier in the thread.

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 13, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Faerunner posted:

Though the CD player died shortly after we started playing burned CDs in it, and the LCD on the air conditioning is temperamental (But it still works) and there's a few squeaks. I guess we did alright after all.

We actually have the original window sticker stuck in the owner's manual. If I think about it next time I drive it I'll grab it and throw it in the scanner for the fun of it. It's amazing how little the price of an Aero convertible has inflated since 2000, the sticker price on ours was something like $46k. Aren't the current models only $42-43k?

The above CD issue is common for a NEW car of thst era, little alone a 12 year old one now. Burn your poo poo at 4x or slower - and if it works at all, you've got a good player. Or, replace it.

There is a bit of a gap between the prices, but all I have is MSRP for mine.

It's amazing how they may retain their values depending on location - I am strongly considering picking up abused ones, rehabbing them, and taking to 'retains better value' across the US as a replacement for my current position - which I detest.

A 2011 9-3 Vert XWD is listed at: $44,605, and all I can tell from the VIN is that it's a 4cyl as I don't have a clue about the new codes.. so, "Maybe."

E: Made it sound like new cars hate CD-Rs too. Didn't mean that. :downs:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 13, 2011

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
We're planning on replacing the radio with something a lot more modern. Our Jeep has an in-dash DVD player with AUX and USB inputs on the front and even an SD card slot. My fiance wants to do something similar in the Saab.

Not sure if it's worth it to do all the work of fitting a double din radio in or just going with a single and a pocket though.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Faerunner posted:

Not sure if it's worth it to do all the work of fitting a double din radio in or just going with a single and a pocket though.

Every single I've seen looks loving retarded with a 'cheapest kinda same black with lovely texture' insert. There are some Taurus half-dins from the 90s that you can reverse the cup and keytray on (for 9000s, it was a necessity to do) that may look kind of 'eh' on an OG9-3, but every pocket insert I've seen looks like rear end.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Viggen posted:

Every single I've seen looks loving retarded with a 'cheapest kinda same black with lovely texture' insert. There are some Taurus half-dins from the 90s that you can reverse the cup and keytray on (for 9000s, it was a necessity to do) that may look kind of 'eh' on an OG9-3, but every pocket insert I've seen looks like rear end.

Yeah, I know. And agree 100%.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

The 9-5 wagon I got my wife for $3k with 115k miles on it had a manila folder in the glove box with all the service tags and stuff since it was new.

Viggen posted:

every pocket insert I've seen looks like rear end.

This is very true. And usually the person installing it didn't know the first thing about stereo installation so that just adds to the lovely textured plastic factor. The rear end in a top hat who initially installed the stereo in my wifes car didn't even mount the drat thing, it was just pushed in until it made a wedge of awkward angles where it wouldn't come out. That was the first thing I corrected in her cars stereo system. Also re-routed the wiring for the rear sub so it would go to the correct sub output on the alpine head unit instead of the catch all bass stereo function for all speakers. The Harmon Kardon 11 speaker setup in the wagon is loving fun to correct when it has been previously been an abortion experiment gone bad.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

The 9-5 wagon I got my wife for $3k with 115k miles on it had a manila folder in the glove box with all the service tags and stuff since it was new.

What year was this? I'd love to find something that cheap. Best I've done comparable was a 9-5 sedan for ~$2k w/ a blow turbo, slightly sludged at 150k.. of course, I could get an aero now w/ a blown HG (probably hosed head) for $1k (likely $800), but I don't want the HEADache. :haw:

keykey posted:

The Harmon Kardon 11 speaker setup in the wagon is loving fun to correct when it has been previously been an abortion experiment gone bad.

Ugh. Have a similar issue, but thank god my HK was bone stock and left alone.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

What year was this? I'd love to find something that cheap.

2 years ago. I picked it up a couple days before the 4th. I had it with my wifes Volvo 850, I got tired of fixing the loving thing so I got her something more dependable! :haw:

Truth be told, the Saab has been leaps and bounds more dependable then her 850 and we got it when it only had 35k miles on it. It was a complete piece of poo poo maintenance nightmare and completely turned both of us off to ever looking at another Volvo. We just took it to the auction with 95k miles on it. Here's the laundry list of poo poo left to fix when it got to the point of knocking it in the head. AC unit flashing lights so it wouldn't come on and when it did, the blower motor would intermittently stop working, 3rd brake light intermittent issue, phantom check engine light, sometimes wouldn't start for no apparent reason, took it to the dealer and they confirmed it wasn't the factory alarm just something randomly happening, the stereo would randomly want the factory code inserted to work, the powered seats memory would reset itself every few months. That was the poo poo I didn't get to, the last 6 months of ownership, I dumped about $300 a month into various broken poo poo.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

keykey posted:

850 sadness

Just curious, what year/model was it? My dad has been buying old 850s to use as a daily driver, driving them for a year or so, and then selling them. Usually gets them for around $1500-2000 (equivalent, we are in Sweden). They have been rock solid and surprisingly nice for 15 year old cars.

Though, our 2004 V70 D5 has been to the shop 3 times for small repairs in the past year while the 1999 9-3 ran just fine...

Anyway, tomorrow is Aero day if all goes well. Been checking inspection history etc on it today and everything looks super; has passed every annual inspection with blank papers, not even the slightest remark on anything. The 04s should have the sludge problem mostly addressed so hopefully that will not be an issue in the future.

Looking forward to checking out the 250 ponies on the way home. :D

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Just curious, what year/model was it?

'96 850. As an extra bonus, it's one of the few model vehicles made that got on the infamous California Schedule J vehicle list. That means, no matter how much you ran it, etc.. the monitors would never clear out so every time I got it smogged, I had to first take it to a smog shop then have them write a signed diagnosis letter stating the monitors won't clear. Then I could take it to a referee station. Every 2 years, the fucker would take roughly 2 weeks to get through the CA smog dog and pony show.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Viggen posted:

Uhm.. when you hit the brakes, unless the wires are broken?

I don't believe first gen had the magical bulb sensor technology - but bare in mind, I'm talking straight out of my rear end since I can't log into WIS from here to check, and I've had a pint of something cinnamon-y this evening.

The SID reported a different bulb being out, and I replaced that and got it to go away. In the process of checking which lights were coming up, I realized I had no idea what the hatch halves of the light were for. So I guess the car has the capability, but has some wiring issue preventing reporting those bulbs being out.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

kimbo305 posted:

The SID reported a different bulb being out, and I replaced that and got it to go away. In the process of checking which lights were coming up, I realized I had no idea what the hatch halves of the light were for. So I guess the car has the capability, but has some wiring issue preventing reporting those bulbs being out.
The rear fog light(s)? In which case, should come on when you turn them on (there should also be an indicator light in the gauge cluster). Sometimes a bulb is only installed on one side for the fogs depending on laws and how closely someone cares to follow them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mario posted:

The rear fog light(s)?

Just to be clear, these:

The reverse lights below work, as does every other light, as far as I can tell. Just those circled don't light under any circumstance.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
Exactly those. Both the headlights (full on, not just DRL in the off position) and the rear fog light switch need to be turned on for them to light.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mario posted:

The rear fog light(s)? In which case, should come on when you turn them on (there should also be an indicator light in the gauge cluster). Sometimes a bulb is only installed on one side for the fogs depending on laws and how closely someone cares to follow them.

Read this very carefully - there's only one bulb for mine in the 9-5, and the socket for the secondary one was blocked. So, don't be surprised if only the left one lights up until you open it up, should you chose to make modifications.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Aero is home.

Oh man, this thing accelerates like a motherfucker in 3rd gear. Wet roads and traction control was still working hard at 100km/h on the onramp.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Aero is home.

Congratulations. I love your car!

In before you start bitching about how short and worthless 1st is. :xd:

v- Not that I can think off, offhand. All parasites I've found eventually went to aftermarket (even if it looked clean). Just monitor the draw and pull the fuses one at a time.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 14, 2011

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
So I've got this 2001 Saab 9-3 that has suddenly started intermittently having a dead battery in the morning (the battery is near-new). I checked all the usual suspects like the dome and trunk lights, but no luck. I'm going to set aside some time with my multimeter and go hunting for the drain, but are there any common saab-specific electrical problems that people have run into? The alternator is charging ~14V so I suspect it's not that and is probably a parasitic drain somewhere.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Oh man, this thing accelerates like a motherfucker in 3rd gear.
An Aero-spec Saab in third is pretty much able to convince the most ardent "naturally aspirated only" people of the :haw: factor of turbos.

The autos suck, though.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Viggen posted:

In before you start bitching about how short and worthless 1st is. :xd:

Jesus yes. When I first got my 9-5 I was at a left turn and before I even started cutting the wheel I bounced it off the rev limiter. Nearly poo poo my pants, didn't realize how short 1st was and thought I broke something haha.

And I think My favourite thing to do is listen to that turbo spool in second and third gear when I get onto the highway on my way to work. Better than a coffee.

Sabmo
May 7, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Aero is home.

Congratulations! That's a beautiful car. Have you seen Jeremy Clarkson test driving the 9-5 Aero on Top Gear? Youtube it if you haven't, it's worth a watch. I have issues with aftermarket wheels on Saabs though - did the original wheels also come with the car? Not that yours look entirely bad, but I think the standard 5-spokers look even better. What colour is the interior? Give us more pics :D

Four Banger posted:

And I think My favourite thing to do is listen to that turbo spool in second and third gear when I get onto the highway on my way to work. Better than a coffee.

Ditto.

Also I'm in on the ridiculously short first gear thing - even my 9000 Aero was the same. I wonder what Saab's reasoning here was?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Sabmo posted:

Congratulations! That's a beautiful car. Have you seen Jeremy Clarkson test driving the 9-5 Aero on Top Gear? Youtube it if you haven't, it's worth a watch. I have issues with aftermarket wheels on Saabs though - did the original wheels also come with the car? Not that yours look entirely bad, but I think the standard 5-spokers look even better. What colour is the interior? Give us more pics :D

Ditto.

Also I'm in on the ridiculously short first gear thing - even my 9000 Aero was the same. I wonder what Saab's reasoning here was?

Did not get the original wheels, and to be honest I am not entirely thrilled with how these look. Might use them for the winter tires and get a new set of shoes for the summer. :) Will snap some more pics and post later, it was pouring rain yesterday so not a really good time to do that. The interior is a light grayish thing, perforated leather seats (with the fans that blow air up your butt), dark wood dash, pretty standard Aero setup from what I gather.

Did see the Top Gear review, it was pretty entertaining.

As to the ridiculously short first gear, I will throw out the theory here that since Saabs are Swedish cars it is expected that a lot of people will tow caravans/campers with them (VERY common thing to do for Swedes in the summer) and then it is quite nice to have a lot of pull in 1st to get them moving (not unusual that people tow over 3000 lbs).

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Clayton Bigsby posted:

As to the ridiculously short first gear, I will throw out the theory here that since Saabs are Swedish cars it is expected that a lot of people will tow caravans/campers with them (VERY common thing to do for Swedes in the summer) and then it is quite nice to have a lot of pull in 1st to get them moving (not unusual that people tow over 3000 lbs).

I say they do it just because they drat well can. I drove a manual Volvo once.. but I don't remember it being so short.

In other news:

Happy 180,001 178,001, 2000 9-5 (B235E).

I celebrated by giving it a wash, wax, and fillup, then proceeded to vaccuum inside and out. It respoded by turning on the MIL for evap. I PUT THE GODDAMN CAP ON TIGHT, YOU BASTARD!

15 minutes and a removed pos cable later, all's back to normal. drat touchy swedemobiles.

e: Nah, it came back. IDM is on it's way out. HAPPY BIRFDAY TO ME!

Viggen fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 17, 2011

localized
Mar 30, 2008

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Aero is home.

Oh man, this thing accelerates like a motherfucker in 3rd gear. Wet roads and traction control was still working hard at 100km/h on the onramp.

I would love one of these so bad. When it comes time to upgrade I am going to search hard for a Aero wagon with a fivespeed, preferably in red...

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

localized posted:

I would love one of these so bad. When it comes time to upgrade I am going to search hard for a Aero wagon with a fivespeed, preferably in red...

Like this 95?*

* Not entirely sure if that's a manual. No VIN, not gonna ask. I'll take sedans and hatches, don't need to get into wagons.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Viggen posted:

* Not entirely sure if that's a manual. No VIN, not gonna ask. I'll take sedans and hatches, don't need to get into wagons.
Well, he speaks of having the transmission flushed, which would make me think auto.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

Well, he speaks of having the transmission flushed, which would make me think auto.

Some people aren't aware the manuals use 10-30, and just have their 'mechanic' do the work. I assumed auto, myself, but he had mentioned another car he had purchased, and it was a 5 speed.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

I'll take sedans and hatches, don't need to get into wagons.

Your loss man. Just got back from the coast last night on a 3 day camping trip. We take a 2 man tent with us to toss everything from the back of the car in then put the rear seat down, dial up 35 on the select comfort queen size bed and call it a night.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

Your loss man. Just got back from the coast last night on a 3 day camping trip. We take a 2 man tent with us to toss everything from the back of the car in then put the rear seat down, dial up 35 on the select comfort queen size bed and call it a night.

It's only camping if it's lying directly on the bed of the back of a tuck while you're swatting mosquitoes and freezing/roasting to death while you slowly suffocate by farting from your awful culinary practices while away from home. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

That sounds like backpacking to me only you cheated and included vehicles. :colbert:

Every year we hike half dome and the challenge is only $20 in food per person for the whole weekend for weight constraints. My brother in law and I hit the dollar store and get the cheapest stuff we can find to make "gourmet" meals out of while mixing foods with each other. Last time we went it sounded like the campfire scene from Blazing Saddles for 3 days straight. We also only use mummy sleeping bags.. Yeah..

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 18, 2011