Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
Well I'm a few days into my first week at Vigil and, aside from having no idea what's going on (that's getting better every day), I'm having a total blast. The guys (and gals) are really chill and I'm learning a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.

treeboy posted:

Well I'm a few days into my first week at Vigil and, aside from having no idea what's going on (that's getting better every day), I'm having a total blast. The guys (and gals) are really chill and I'm learning a ton.

The real question is how many times you have been to Rudy's.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

treeboy posted:

Well I'm a few days into my first week at Vigil and, aside from having no idea what's going on (that's getting better every day), I'm having a total blast.

Tell Judith that Jesse says hi! I haven't seen her in ages and she was one of my favorite people.

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
I'm trying to move on from Unity, man up, and learn something better (and more like something I'd actually use on a job). It seems like UDK is the next logical step, right? Any decent free learning resources, besides the videos on their documentation site?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

waffledoodle posted:

The real question is how many times you have been to Rudy's.

Once so far...but it's only Tuesday. Wednesday.

devilmouse posted:

Tell Judith that Jesse says hi! I haven't seen her in ages and she was one of my favorite people.

As soon as I meet her I will...they kinda stuck me in a corner over by the APs...great view at least!

edit: I don't know what day it is...just shows how cool this place is

treeboy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 14, 2011

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Hollywood's model is interesting. Individuals on a project are treated better due to the guilds (especially lower-level folks equivalent to black-box testers in games). But there is no job security. Everyone is essentially an independent contractor brought on for a specific project. When that contract is done its time to find a new job. Games is getting more and more that way but for the most part people still work for a studio or corporation, not a single game.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Oh wow, Hugo Elias is old school, I can't believe I didn't think to check there. Thanks Shalinor.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Vino posted:

Oh wow, Hugo Elias is old school, I can't believe I didn't think to check there. Thanks Shalinor.
Yep, completely old-school... but oddly, the technique really couldn't do much until the last 5 years or so. Shaders came in and changed everything.

Old approaches are cool that way. Old approach that was impractical + shader advances = holy poo poo.

(this is why you should all be paying attention to game/graphics research papers as best you can, by the way - sometimes, the strangest little niggle from one will turn into an entire feature in your engine)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

M4rk posted:

Sweet, where's your story?

Tada!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415662&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post392802246

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

DancingMachine posted:

Hollywood's model is interesting. Individuals on a project are treated better due to the guilds (especially lower-level folks equivalent to black-box testers in games). But there is no job security. Everyone is essentially an independent contractor brought on for a specific project. When that contract is done its time to find a new job. Games is getting more and more that way but for the most part people still work for a studio or corporation, not a single game.

It's gotten REALLY bad if you specialize in FX since all the FX houses basically kill themselves trying to outbid each other. There's also pretty much zero loyalty as they poo poo on anyone they can get their hands on. Some of the shady ones try to get around paying overtime too. It's a market that's killing itself. Green Lantern apparently had a lot of horseshit going on behind the curtain.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
We are hiring at Jagex!

We're looking for a Lead for the tools department, and some senior developers. The core skill we're looking for is Java, so if you're a corporate IT hotshot that wants to get into gaming, we're interested. If you're a downsized server-side Java guy on the games side, we're interested. If you're a server-side C++ programmer, we even might have work for you.

Since I'm not sure how hard Jagex's spam filter sucks, email me here. I'll pass your CV along: gooniegoons@tamedtornado.com

To be clear, we want experienced people who are willing to live in Cambridge, UK. I'm not sure about all the HR poo poo, but we may be willing to go the extra mile with visas and such for a good non-EU candidate.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Backov posted:

We are hiring at Jagex!

We're looking for a Lead for the tools department, and some senior developers. The core skill we're looking for is Java, so if you're a corporate IT hotshot that wants to get into gaming, we're interested. If you're a downsized server-side Java guy on the games side, we're interested. If you're a server-side C++ programmer, we even might have work for you.

Since I'm not sure how hard Jagex's spam filter sucks, email me here. I'll pass your CV along: gooniegoons@tamedtornado.com

To be clear, we want experienced people who are willing to live in Cambridge, UK. I'm not sure about all the HR poo poo, but we may be willing to go the extra mile with visas and such for a good non-EU candidate.

Does that guy who wears the furry tail and dog collar still work there? Or is that you? :colbert:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Does that guy who wears the furry tail and dog collar still work there? Or is that you? :colbert:

I have not yet spotted said fellow, and sadly it's not me.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
It was over 3 years ago. Hopefully he died.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
Cool story, bro.

Where are you now? Doing Community stuff at another studio?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Yeah I'm the community manager for a new startup called Outplay Entertainment.

https://www.facebook.com/outplay
https://www.twitter.com/outplayent

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
As of today I am now officially the sole artist at DNA Dynamics. :toot:

And no part of the job involves 3d at all. Yay for 2D iOs games i guess. :v:

and now without further ado: My Success Story.

Did a Bachelors in Cretive Digital Media and a Masters in Computer Games Art.
Spent two years busting my arse on a portfolio while working the shittiest and most exhausting Gym-cleaning job
Recommend a programmer friend to a goon in this very thread who was looking for programmers.
Programmer friend recommended me and one week-long trial later here I am.

I have somethingawful to thank for landing me a job. :v:

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 15, 2011

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Aliginge posted:

Nice! When do you start full-time?

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

start of august :>

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

I'll see you then.

And now, back to packing for moving this weekend.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

SnafuAl posted:

I'll see you then.

And now, back to packing for moving this weekend.

Ahh yeah they mentioned someone else starting on the 18th alongside Drew.

Three goons under one studio roof we're doomed :v:

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

Aliginge posted:

Hell YEAH! Congrats man! I knew you'd land something sooner or later. You busted rear end and totally deserve it.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Aliginge posted:

Ahh yeah they mentioned someone else starting on the 18th alongside Drew.

Three goons under one studio roof we're doomed :v:

This will end hilariously. I am sure of it

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Aliginge posted:

Spent two years busting my arse on a portfolio while working the shittiest and most exhausting Gym-cleaning job
Recommend a programmer friend to a goon in this very thread who was looking for programmers.

Congratulations dude! Glad you finally made it!

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:
Does anyone games development forum recommendations, especially ones that focus on programming? I need something to read while I'm waiting for lengthy recompiles and brushing up on new techniques seems like a good way to get around the internet-browsing guilt, but gamedev.net really seems to have gone to poo poo over the past couple of years (Either that or it was always terrible and I only just noticed recently). The CoC thread is great but it just moves too slowly.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AntiPseudonym posted:

Does anyone games development forum recommendations, especially ones that focus on programming? I need something to read while I'm waiting for lengthy recompiles and brushing up on new techniques seems like a good way to get around the internet-browsing guilt, but gamedev.net really seems to have gone to poo poo over the past couple of years (Either that or it was always terrible and I only just noticed recently). The CoC thread is great but it just moves too slowly.

It's not really a "forum", but do you check out gamasutra? Sometimes the comment threads there can actually be really good, since most of the people posting there are actual industry people rather than random internet nerds with opinions about video games.

(note: I did say "sometimes")

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Whelp, Monday I called back the studio that made me take the art test, I basically wanted some feedback since it's been a week since I sent the art test and didn't get any news.

The HR person I talked to didn't seem to know who I was and didn't know were my application was at even though I already talked to her the week before to answer a few questions I had on the test. She told me I'll get news this week from a project manager as the application is out of her hands for now and we're almost at the end of the week already.

Should I call back tomorrow? Wait until next Monday again? Do nothing and act as if nothing is going to come out of it?

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
As crappy as it is, it's not uncommon for studios to never respond back to applicants, even after taking an art test.

Maybe call them back in a week to see what happens. But after what you posted it's not sounding good, though I hope that's not the case and they just don't have their act together. Good luck!

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 15, 2011

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

SGT. Squeaks posted:

As crappy as it is, it's not uncommon for studios to never respond back to applicants, even after taking an art test.

Maybe call them back in a week to see what happens. But after what you posted it's not sounding good, though I hope that's not the case and they just don't have their act together. Good luck!

Yeah, thanks dude (or dudette).

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Finished my reel for graduation ceremony tomorrow. If my school didn't require it I probably would've focused more on finishing my portfolio site but...here it is!

https://vimeo.com/26437892

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

ceebee posted:

Finished my reel for graduation ceremony tomorrow. If my school didn't require it I probably would've focused more on finishing my portfolio site but...here it is!

Very nice stuff, I have no idea how the market is in the states right now but I like a lot what you've got there. :)

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

ceebee posted:

im not a character artist so i cant comment much on content (it looks great though) but i did find the slideshow at the end very distracting. You've got some cool solid stuff leading up to it and then a series of sliding stills with not a ton of time to study any of them. Are you not able to pick a few really solid ones and do turn-arounds of them?

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

Congratulations dude! Glad you finally made it!

Thanks for kicking my arse along the way :)

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
Does anyone here work at Irrational Games in Quincy, MA? I've got my second interview coming up with them and I'd really like to talk to someone that is working there and get a feel for what the place is like and such.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
I don't think so but I know their head of QA if that helps. And by know I mean she's a Facebook friend because she was an ex-coworker or my ex who broke my heart and fled the country. \/:smith:\/

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

GeauxSteve posted:

Does anyone here work at Irrational Games in Quincy, MA? I've got my second interview coming up with them and I'd really like to talk to someone that is working there and get a feel for what the place is like and such.

I don't think so but I know their head of QA if that helps. And by know I mean she's a Facebook friend because she was an ex-coworker or my ex who broke my heart and fled the country. \/:smith:\/
I'm also interested in making connections at Irrational. Saw a Community position open there and submitted my application about a week ago. ;)

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

The spot I'm actually applying for is a Senior QA spot. I kind of just want to get a feel for what the culture there is like, how they do things, that sort of thing.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I would kill to work at Irrational. It's like 15 minutes from all my family and it'd be an excuse to get out of LA.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

ceebee posted:

I would kill to work at Irrational. It's like 15 minutes from all my family and it'd be an excuse to get out of LA.
I would kill to work at Irrational just because their heavily-modded forum award system is awesome and I want to know how the hell it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Aliginge posted:

congratulations man I knew you could do it!:) Keep up the 3d though.

Now, how the hell do I get myself motivated to do personal work.