Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
What's the best way to do (CONT'D) dialogue for theater, inside Celtx? When I converted to word I'd have a problem that whenever I cut dialogue, it would throw off (CONT'D)s all through the rest of the play.

For now, I just do
CHARACTER
Line
stage direction
CHARACTER (CONT'D)

But something like

JOSEPH
The truth about the dreamcoat is...
THE INVESTORS enter. Joseph crowds them out with his body, giving his last instructions to the sweatshop workers.

JOSEPH (CONT'D, LOWER)
I have a million of them out back. And you'll make a million more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

You don't need to do it yourself, when you export it to .pdf you can select that as an option to automatically format that way.

Forget Forgive
Aug 13, 2007

Theatre technicians, I've got a question for you:

Has anyone encountered video cuing software or hardware? Something to handle the same volume of cues that a lightboard usually does, but with avi files.

Here's what we need it for:

We have about 60 30 second clips tied to 60 sections throughout our play. We want the clips to play and loop during each section, and then transition to the next clip seamlessly. The video clips are based off of the text, so we need to control the clips directly with a Go button.

We also want to output to some old TVs (80's and 90's) we have as scenery. I'm sure that complicates things as well.

Anyway, I've heard that churches have these types of programs to cue between many different video clips and sing along videos they have for their music worship services. I'm having trouble nailing down a specific company or program for our own needs.

Anybody have any ideas or leads?

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
I would check into QLab or Isadora for that. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about video, but we use both, QLab is probably easier, Isadora is a lot more full featured.

Burger Crime
Dec 27, 2010

Deliciousness is not a Burger Crime.
I haven't used video that extensively in a production but a low tech hardware solution would be 2 projectors with 2 DMX controlled dowsers and cue up the clip on the 2nd projector while the first is playing and then run a cue to open the 2nd projector and dowse the first. Then cue up your next video on the first projector while video is playing on 2. Don't know if that will work for you though. You might need a switcher for the TV's too. Just run 2 input lines and switch between them when you switch projectors.

Burger Crime fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 19, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Why the hell is that dowser over $200? DMX does insane things to price point. You can do the same drat thing with a piece of black cloth and a string.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I really don't think this here warrants a new thread but I participated in a Play In a Day activity at school. I really have no idea where this type of thing is or isn't done but it was a blast. For those that have no idea, it's literally plays written, rehearsed, and performed within a 24 hour period. They're usually little 10 minute things that can get...random. I signed up to write and wrote this here. The theme was "It needs to be called Second Wind." Where we went from that was up to us.

I'm curious about what people think about it. It's the first play type thing I've ever written and the reaction to it was actually fairly positive. If it seems imperfect and a touch rushed, remember that it was written in the space of about 8 hours.

http://www.policyoverkill.com/Misc/SecondWind.pdf

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

That's how I got my start in writing plays. I think I accidentally wrote one less character than there were actors, so that's my biggest regret in theater, having someone be bored for seven hours because of me.

(The character I meant to write was a murderous videogame player. Would've been awesome. Haunts me to this day.

Notes on your show: Since the character guidelines are probably for the actors, it's ok they're long, but for general readers they should be kind of succinct. Tennessee Williams gives full paragraphs on the arc of each character when they show up, but it's generally a "show, don't tell" world.

The fact stage direction isn't italicized is really annoying.

"Write it on the paper" isn't really necessary as a director's note. Oldest tip in the book. (A lot of people start their 24 hour plays with proclamations, long bits of poetry, or backstory, and it'd be the weirdest coincidence that all these characters were carrying books, scrolls, or standing at lecterns.]

Bottom of 3/top of 4: I know what you're going for here, and it doesn't work tremendously well. If you're in a scene where two characters are telling each other what they already know, there's a better way to get that information out.

A little allusion goes a long way in theater.

Overall, it's alright. I feel it wraps up way too quickly, but it's eight pages. There's plenty for actors to work with, but Auntie's switch feels a bit sudden. Not TOO sudden (and being eight pages may be the problem here).

The big question is, did seeing it performed make you want to write again?

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 28, 2011

Burger Crime
Dec 27, 2010

I think a lot of undergrad programs do that. At my uni it was called 24 hour plays. I think its weird that they had a theme for you. I know it wasn't very restrictive at all, but when I was in undergrad we just had everyone bring in 2 props, The directors/playwrights collaborated to choose what 2 props they wanted and then the playwright could write what they wanted as long as it incorporated the props they choose. My senior year was my favorite 24 hr play ever cause my character got to pop his collar on stage. I think the best thing to do with 24 hr plays is work outside your normal area of interest. I switched every year so I got to act, run tech, direct,and write. Its a good way to experience other areas of theatre without the stress of a full production.

Chicago theatre people, I just saw this go up today if anyone is interested. http://backstagejobs.com/jobdetail.php?jobID=13605

Burger Crime fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 3, 2011

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Here's a GBS thread you all might enjoy participating in.

GBS Bad Theater Thread

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

Geekboy posted:

Here's a GBS thread you all might enjoy participating in.

GBS Bad Theater Thread

The real fun begins with the director who got in trouble for loving with Little Shop of Horrors.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe

Its Phoenix posted:

My high school had an annual ritual where Shakespearean plays were redone in a different theme. Circus style Comedy of Errors, Vaudvillian Hamlet, etc. I was in a western version of The Merry Wives of Windsor, specifically Dr. Caius, the French Doctor. Because I knew that the majority of the acting would be terrible, I specially requested a three piece, brown and plaid suit with a bowler hat. I also decided to bring add a cane to my outfit because I was going to have some fun with this poo poo show. (Yes, I knew it would suck and decided to class it up in the most sexually appealing way possible)

Months of practice were meaningless as many people couldn't remember their lines. When we were finally on opening night, I decided to save the show by changing my body movements to where I overly extended my arms and cane with every step. I swung it above my head and slammed it down with every step. I changed my accent each night and made my actions more erratic and crazy. I caused three people to break character each night and saved the abysmal failure of a show.

I was asked to leave drama for turning it into a joke. Which, for being a Shakespearean comedy, I figured was the point.

Philistines.

Yes I can't understand why they were upset with you for that, clearly they weren't up to speed on classic goon humor

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I know I love it when a show comes to a halt because some of the cast can't keep it together because one actor is purposely over-acting, being so loud and distracting that there's no way you can watch anyone else, and all but giving the audience a wink as he "saves the show".

One thing I hate is hearing actors talk about how they single-handedly "saved the show".

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I love how no one in the thread even acknowledged that post.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

El Tortuga posted:

One thing I hate is hearing actors talk about how they single-handedly "saved the show".

Don't judge me.

UUriffic
Jul 14, 2007

Every society has the criminals it deserves.
My senior year of high school was really awesome because students got to have a lot of say in what was produced. The summer prior I had written up a stage adaptation for "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and the fall following I got to direct it!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
You know, a stage version of Eternal Sunshine could actually be really fun.

UUriffic
Jul 14, 2007

It was! The main obstacle was the times where Joel goes through multiple memories in the same scene. We solved this by having three platforms each arranged with a different scene, the middle one being behind the others, and some action taking place in the foreground.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I totally agree. I usually see those things in a Hamlet 2 kind of way, but that's a show that could totally work.

There's an independent movie available on Netflix instant called "Lo" that I reeeeeally want to be a stage show.

Anyone else catch the production of Company that was in movie theaters? I really enjoyed it, but I could still nitpick it. The production that is on Netflix instant is probably slicker, but it's hard not to love Neil Patrick Harris, Stephen Colbert and Martha Plimpton. I even enjoyed Patti Lupone, who usually drives me crazy.

So here's a question I actually find a bit embarrassing: I know I'm just doing small time community theater, but I really get something out of it and I want to be good at it. I'm not bad, but I'm completely untrained and just going on instinct and observation. If I wanted to find a few things to read or study to improve my craft, where should I start?

I usually get by on being a good enough singer that it doesn't matter what else I'm doing (that sounds more pompous than I meant it to), but even doing The Odd Couple I feel like I'm really kicking my rear end to get this character to be someone that isn't just me being grumpy. I know I'm not getting paid and I'm just performing for friends and a community that isn't exactly theater savvy, but if I'm not doing it well I don't see the point. I am as small time as I can get, but that doesn't mean I don't want to take it seriously.

As far as things people suggested months ago, I'll worry about adapting Faust and such when I get to it. I've got to get through this show and get adjusted to my new day job first.

Burger Crime
Dec 27, 2010

Geekboy posted:

So here's a question I actually find a bit embarrassing: I know I'm just doing small time community theater, but I really get something out of it and I want to be good at it. I'm not bad, but I'm completely untrained and just going on instinct and observation. If I wanted to find a few things to read or study to improve my craft, where should I start?

http://www.amazon.com/Freeing-Natur...ie=UTF8&s=books

This has good techniques in it, I have never read it but I was trained in Linklater technique in my undergrad. I am a designer, not an actor, but those techniques are amazingly helpful as long as you keep an open mind about them. It also helps if you have someone familiar with the technique helping you so you know if you are doing it wrong.

If you want something more theory based about what theatre should do or what theatre is I like http://www.amazon.com/Brecht-Theatre-Development-Aesthetic-Bertolt/dp/0809005425/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310186495&sr=1-1

Other than that, acting is really hard to teach from a book. Any directors at your theatre that you have worked with, ask for their input into your work and where you can improve. Come to first rehearsal with all your lines memorized if possible, then you can spend all your time working on your character, which will lead to better character development and exploration.

Viewpoints might help too, I forgot about that. http://www.amazon.com/Viewpoints-Book-Practical-Guide-Composition/dp/1559362413/ref=pd_sim_b_4

Burger Crime fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 9, 2011

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Yeah, see if you can find a decent class somewhere. Meisner, Method, Viewpoints, Stella Adler . . . even just a scene study class the sharpen your instincts. Learning acting from books alone is really difficult.

quote:

Anyone else catch the production of Company that was in movie theaters?

I didn't, and I meant to. Should I rent it whenever it comes out? I haven't talked to anyone who actually saw it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I saw Company both times it showed here. I liked it a lot more than Doyle's stuffy, morosely "classy" revival. The TV actors brought a funny zip to Furth's book that really made it come alive and even though the production had obviously been rushed (the first full run-through was the final dress rehearsal) everyone was just so enthusiastic that it didn't hurt too much when an actor misjudged a line or Patti Lupone jammed her way into the first stanza of The Little Things after two bars of vamp and in the middle of riotous applause. Lonny Price's direction was pretty fun, and I liked the use of the five rolling couches. Lupone knocked her scene out of the park. Most of the actors did, actually, and for the first time I really understood them. Bobby, too, and he's not an easy character.

So basically it was pretty great.

Geekboy posted:

I totally agree. I usually see those things in a Hamlet 2 kind of way, but that's a show that could totally work.

Somehow it seems like it would translate really well to the amorphous nature of theater.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

UUriffic posted:

My senior year of high school was really awesome because students got to have a lot of say in what was produced. The summer prior I had written up a stage adaptation for "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and the fall following I got to direct it!

What's the general rule with writing (and performing) stage adaptations of movies? Like, copyright wise?

UUriffic
Jul 14, 2007

Well, our production was a little under the table. We contacted the people about getting copyright permission to do the play but we never heard back. Really, no one actually cared about a small rural high school doing a play, it might be different if you want to do it as a part of a university/community theatre program.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I saw the Company broadcast and I really liked it. I too enjoyed Patti Lupone despite generally not liking her. John Cryer too for that matter. I enjoyed the performance quite a lot though I'm not sure that I care much for the show itself.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

I saw that production of "Company" as well, and loved it. Despite knowing what a staple of musical theatre the show, this was my first time hearing any of the music and it was a fantastic experience. It was a brilliant conception and it has definitely become a musical I will direct only when I feel like I've received enough education.

Speaking of theater education, I plan on shooting for the stars when I start applying for grad school soon. Anybody got any views on CalArts they can share?

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 10, 2011

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
For acting? I don't know anything about their program.

Burger Crime
Dec 27, 2010

What concentration are you going for and why are you going?

I don't know anything about Cal Arts program but as a general rule if you are going to grad school because you aren't sure what else to do instead of because you want to go, it is going to be something the review committee notices in your interview/audition.

So in general, make sure grad school is what you really want to do. Also, are you applying for fall 2011 or 2012?
I would be surprised if the program isn't already full for 2011. And are you applying to other schools or is this your only one?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, I actually haven't applied at all, nor do I know when I will be. I plan on going for their directing program. However, CalArts accepts only two directing grad students per year, so at this point it's just a pipe-dream. I was just really seeing if anyone had any opinions about it.

And grad school is definitely what I want to pursue. I'm about a semester away from graduating (finally, in my seventh year), and all I've been taking is the remaining core classes I have. With all my theatre courses out of the way, I've realized just how much I like actually learning about theatre. Regardless of what I do about grad school, when I get my B.A. in Acting and Directing, I may just end up trying to get in at CalArts at the bottom level and earning a degree in straight-up directing.

Thrillhou
Dec 28, 2006

El Tortuga posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, I actually haven't applied at all, nor do I know when I will be. I plan on going for their directing program. However, CalArts accepts only two directing grad students per year, so at this point it's just a pipe-dream. I was just really seeing if anyone had any opinions about it.

And grad school is definitely what I want to pursue. I'm about a semester away from graduating (finally, in my seventh year), and all I've been taking is the remaining core classes I have. With all my theatre courses out of the way, I've realized just how much I like actually learning about theatre. Regardless of what I do about grad school, when I get my B.A. in Acting and Directing, I may just end up trying to get in at CalArts at the bottom level and earning a degree in straight-up directing.

Most of the graduate directing programs I have seen tend to strongly favor directors that have professional level working experience outside of the university level (this isn't always the case) so trying to build a resume or getting experience in the field would be your best bet in terms of looking good on your applications. However, I think you might want to consider looking at programs outside of California for graduate studies, because limiting your choice to any one location (or even country) might cause you to miss out on some great opportunities. A lot of my friends from university have found success in Canadian, UK, and other European programs that led to a lot more job opportunities and fun than the folks who stayed in the area.

If CalArts is your dream though, definitely go for it, and make sure that the graduate people know you are really interested. One of my friends got into the Tisch Grad program with that kind of resolve, despite having no experience in the field and pretty middling grades, so it's definitely possible.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Directing is going to tell you whether or not you need grad school. You'll get experience, which all schools want, and knowledge about whether this is your life's work or not.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
Ah, a theatre thread! This is a pleasurable sight for my sore eyes. I graduated from the Theatre Academy of Finland about a month ago ( a Master of Theatre Arts ), and have been working professionally for two years now ( a year in the National Finnish Theatre, and a year in a smaller theatre ), and third year as a professional begins next month. Our current projects include a drama about the country-side life, a farce, and a children's play regarding a certain popular finnish character.

Man, I love my life. Sure, being an actor isn't always easy - heck, it is stressful, it eats up ( most of ) your life, and when you are a young male actor, they put you in pretty much everything. But on the flipside it is rewarding, I feel like I am constantly growing as an actor, and the work is never boring. Every new play is a fresh challenge. I love it.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
My uni ordered the 1999 version of Candide from MTI. I love the standard Hal Prince Candide, but the '99 version is so vastly superior that it turns it into a real play, not just cabaret. The second act is good. I think that bears repeating. The second act not only isn't terrible, it's good. I don't get why people don't like Martin or Cacambo, they add alot of depth to the play.

Just finished our summer run of 42nd Street, I was ASM (and actually got paid. weird). The cheesy tapdancing musical in a horrible space with ungelled lights ended up being the best production I've ever been involved with. I don't get it either.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Someone staged an Off-Broadway version of Les Plages d'Agnes without ever having seen it. He dug through dozens of film scripts that he hadn't seen to come at it with fresh eyes.

El Tortuga posted:

Speaking of theater education, I plan on shooting for the stars when I start applying for grad school soon. Anybody got any views on CalArts they can share?
MFAs are for professionals with professional experience. Do internships first and get your foot in the door (or backdoor yourself into a program by going PhD and taking the courses anyway).

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Hello, theater thread! I don't mean to crosspost too intensely but I finally posted the ask/tell thread that I have been thinking about for a while: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3425068 I have worked on a few Broadway shows and a bunch of other regional/tour type stuff, especially musicals. If any theater fans or students or other curious types have any questions about Broadway or anything, I'll try to answer. And if there are any other theater professional goons, drop me a line or join in the question-answering!

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I just found out about the God of Carnage film. Getting really psyched about John C. Reilly opposite Christoph Waltz.

Forget Forgive
Aug 13, 2007

If anybody here is from Minneapolis or are going to be seeing the Minnesota Fringe, you should hit my show up. The promotional postcard is right here:

Forget Forgive fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 26, 2011

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB

Arthe Xavier posted:

Man, I love my life. Sure, being an actor isn't always easy - heck, it is stressful, it eats up ( most of ) your life, and when you are a young male actor, they put you in pretty much everything. But on the flipside it is rewarding, I feel like I am constantly growing as an actor, and the work is never boring. Every new play is a fresh challenge. I love it.

I think I might actually be willing to murder someone to make this my life. We just finished the first weekend of a show in Austin (Molierre's The Imaginary Invalid, http://citytheatreaustin.org/currentshow.html if anyone's interested) and it's been one of the best experiences of my life so far. The cast and director have been a privilege to work with, the show has been legitimately fun to do, and as my first experience of anything beyond school theatre, it's made me start seriously reconsidering what I want to do with my life. I know it's probably just a temporary high and I'm just a silly kid, but if my future could be what Xavier described... that'd be a dream come true. I'm not ready to switch my major just yet (not like a Theatre degree from Texas A&M would mean much anyways), but I'd be lying if I said a part of me doesn't want to.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Get a degree in something career-worthy, act for fun. There's no shame in storefronting, and maybe you won't meet your perfect, 'everything clicks' instructor until later on in your career.

Named: CONGRATS! This is the one you were posting about a few months ago in the thread?

Forget Forgive
Aug 13, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Get a degree in something career-worthy, act for fun. There's no shame in storefronting, and maybe you won't meet your perfect, 'everything clicks' instructor until later on in your career.

Named: CONGRATS! This is the one you were posting about a few months ago in the thread?
It's the same Fringe Festival, but we've changed our idea of the show several times. It was going to be an original script, then it was going to be an adaption. When we couldn't get the copyright permissions we came upon the idea of Eliot's poem (copyright law came into effect after he had written it, ha!) Now it's a very interesting collage of different texts with no stage directions and multimedia. I don't think there's another show like it at this year's fringe.

It's be a wild process. We had a preview just last night that went over very well. We've got 9 days left of rehearsals and then it's show time. I think we're going to have what it takes to rise above the ocean of shows that the Fringe offers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
I was gonna go to Minny Fringe before I lost my job :smith:

• Locked thread