Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

BonHair posted:

You know how we have twelve notes per octave? Is there any reason the wookies wouldn't have, say, 15? And wouldn't that sound completely horrible to us? And so on.

There are lots of tone systems in human cultures that have less than or more than 12 notes per octave. Hindustani classical music can have up to 22 tones (if I remember right)!

In any case, music doesn't need more or less tones in an octave for it to sound awful. Lots of Western music does that already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What you'd think Rodian Rap would be about?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Actually, speaking of verpine music, now I'm trying to imagine a bunch of katydids and cicadas forming a band with their legs and tympanic drums.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

arioch posted:

Actually, speaking of verpine music, now I'm trying to imagine a bunch of katydids and cicadas forming a band with their legs and tympanic drums.

This is suburban New Jersey in the summer time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Amrosorma posted:

There are lots of tone systems in human cultures that have less than or more than 12 notes per octave. Hindustani classical music can have up to 22 tones (if I remember right)!

In any case, music doesn't need more or less tones in an octave for it to sound awful. Lots of Western music does that already!

Yup. There's bunches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_scales_and_modes

The octave itself comes straight out of physics -- one octave is half or double the frequency -- but there's still no guarantee aliens would experience octave equivalency the way we do, or would use the octave in music. It's not even completely universal in human music. (Of course, if we start discussing all the ways sci-fi aliens are unrealistically human-like, then that's a LONG trip down the sperg-hole.)

Anyway, I vaguely recall a throwaway line in an EU novel that cantina-style music was specifically designed to appeal to a whole swath of different species.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Is there a reason why KOTOR 2 isn't on steam? I just finished the first one and I have a real desire to play the second :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

Is there a reason why KOTOR 2 isn't on steam? I just finished the first one and I have a real desire to play the second :(

I was wondering this the other day too, I do own both of the games on hard disc but it is weird.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Starsnostars posted:

Must be some issue with license hell between Obsidian and LucasArts :arghfist:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

KOTOR 2 got waaay too much slack. Sure it was unfinished, but it was still an enjoyable game. Going so far to say it sucked was just dumb in my opinion.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I personally enjoyed the slightly darker grittier tone with KOTOR 2. Plus, no hypocritcal annoying fish people.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I also liked KOTOR 2 better than 1 for the above reasons, but also a superficial one: I liked the inventory/equip screen in 2 better. :shobon:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Everyone who is remotely interested in the EU should read Scorchy's LP of KOTOR 2. http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/ He really gets into the cut content and what should have been the finished product of the game had they been given more time by Lucas Arts.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Or just play the Restoration Mod because it is pretty nicely done and I support any project that crams the foot up the rear end of any self-entitled rear end in a top hat game modders. That project is the biggest bitch slap in the history of Internet forum drama and will always have my undying support

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

WhyteRyce posted:

Or just play the Restoration Mod because it is pretty nicely done and I support any project that crams the foot up the rear end of any self-entitled rear end in a top hat game modders. That project is the biggest bitch slap in the history of Internet forum drama and will always have my undying support

What is Team Gizka up to nowadays anyway?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Wait, I'm just playing my way through the first KOTOR at the moment. Was the sequel not finished?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Wait, I'm just playing my way through the first KOTOR at the moment. Was the sequel not finished?

You have no idea. There was literally no ending. Just a bit of an info dump.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
What caused them to fail to finish it? Is it playable at all? :psyduck:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Admiral Goodenough posted:

What caused them to fail to finish it? Is it playable at all? :psyduck:

Christmas rush. And it is playable. Just don't expect to get closure.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Everything that happens on the finale planet is also completely nonsensical. I mean, it makes NO sense.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well, from what I recall there are giant lizards, a gently caress load of Sith fodder to stomp and the fact you can talk a dude to death.

Malachor V!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is Team Gizka up to nowadays anyway?

Dashus has a GIRLFRIEND now and is too busy with important stuff to care about silly games

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Dashus has a GIRLFRIEND now and is too busy with important stuff to care about silly games

He's still refusing to just release the work he has done right?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He's still refusing to just release the work he has done right?

The website is gone, so probably yeah. The Restoration Mod had everything that Gizka's did. I think the main differences just stemmed from minor gameplay tweaks based on "interpretation" of how the game is supposed to be played, so there really really is no reason for it anymore other than morbid curiosity. Kind of sucks that all the hard work that other people put into that mod went down with Dashus never to see the light of day.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

The website is gone, so probably yeah. The Restoration Mod had everything that Gizka's did. I think the main differences just stemmed from minor gameplay tweaks based on "interpretation" of how the game is supposed to be played, so there really really is no reason for it anymore other than morbid curiosity. Kind of sucks that all the hard work that other people put into that mod went down with Dashus never to see the light of day.

The best part of the Gizka drama was of course the official forums. I would go browse every couple of months to see what was up and it was basically run like a gulag. Anyone who dared speak out against Dashus was immediately silenced.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well, from what I recall there are giant lizards, a gently caress load of Sith fodder to stomp and the fact you can talk a dude to death.

Malachor V!

"I was there...at Malachooooor."

Bao-Dur would always say Malachor in the most dramatic way.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The KOTOR II article at Wookieepedia led me to this interview with Chris Avellone:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/06/question-time-your-interview-with-chris-avellone/

The end has a question from someone about the "True Sith". In case anyone here doesn't know, in The Old Republic the True Sith are revealed to just be the remains of the original Sith Empire from Tales of the Jedi. I always figured that was just a retcon/explanation developed by the Bioware writers. But in this interview Avellone says that was actually his intended explanation for the True Sith from the start. That's kind of disappointing to me.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

"I was there...at Malachooooor."

Bao-Dur would always say Malachor in the most dramatic way.

I barely ever talked to the guy because of how much he creeped me out with that breathy way of talking.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

But in this interview Avellone says that was actually his intended explanation for the True Sith from the start. That's kind of disappointing to me.

Yeah that's disappointing. I guess I should stop hating on Bioware now for not continuing on how KOTORII ended and going cookie-cutter Sith. Well...maybe only for that first thing at least.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah that's disappointing. I guess I should stop hating on Bioware now for not continuing on how KOTORII ended and going cookie-cutter Sith. Well...maybe only for that first thing at least.
I wouldn't complain about cookie-cuter Sith because that's how it always seems to end up when there's that many of them.I'm sure the Jedi will be the same.

I hate on Bioware fro basically ignoring all the KotOR 2 characters and seemingly some of the big non-sith events. Such as the entire Jedi order being destroyed.

Seriously, Traya, Nihilus and Sion did a far better job than Order 66 and Sideous. Outside your party I think there were maybe 5 left, yet Bioware have so far made no mention of it, or of the Exile or any of her companions. Revan is getting circlejerked constantly (he is Star Wars's Sephiroth), they're giving huge nods to both Bastilla and Carth and HK is a 5-man raid boss, but there has been no mention of anything from KotOR II outside of the True Sith.

It just doesn't seem right that a team focussed on storytelling is ignoring one of the best works of the Old Republic era, or even of the entire EU.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/31721071/p10

Haha, some fanboy freaks out at a comics writer.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I barely ever talked to the guy because of how much he creeped me out with that breathy way of talking.

I think they were trying to copy Darth Maul's voice a little.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Get used to it, the dude is actually sort of well written ex soldier with regrets and potential force sensitive.

The one bit I hate about KOTOR 2 is always being dumped on Dantooine as it is being reconstructed and you fight that army of Mercs. Thankfully things ramp up to awesome after you get to the secret hide out.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I...I I'm not sure how to comprehehnd this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE2XUkkpYL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8TGmKKsxVY

I could never get past Dantooine in KOTOR, my old PC would always crash there.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

I...I I'm not sure how to comprehehnd this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE2XUkkpYL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8TGmKKsxVY

I could never get past Dantooine in KOTOR, my old PC would always crash there.

The only jizz I want blasting in my ears is jizzcore.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bene Elim posted:

I wouldn't complain about cookie-cuter Sith because that's how it always seems to end up when there's that many of them.I'm sure the Jedi will be the same.

I hate on Bioware fro basically ignoring all the KotOR 2 characters and seemingly some of the big non-sith events. Such as the entire Jedi order being destroyed.

Seriously, Traya, Nihilus and Sion did a far better job than Order 66 and Sideous. Outside your party I think there were maybe 5 left, yet Bioware have so far made no mention of it, or of the Exile or any of her companions. Revan is getting circlejerked constantly (he is Star Wars's Sephiroth), they're giving huge nods to both Bastilla and Carth and HK is a 5-man raid boss, but there has been no mention of anything from KotOR II outside of the True Sith.

It just doesn't seem right that a team focussed on storytelling is ignoring one of the best works of the Old Republic era, or even of the entire EU.

It's pretty obvious the Bioware writers are jealous that Obsidian did a better job at a story than they did, on a game they had the full option to make no less. Karpyshyn's first Bane book was the same way, it mentioned numerous times about how the Sith were killed off after Malak died, how Revan's redemption led directly to the end of the Sith threat and the Republic's healing, etc.

Although Karypyshin is writing a The Old Republic tie-in novel set after KOTOR 2 where the Exile will be a character. So we'll see how he handles that. Probably with the same care and respect to source materials as he showed Jedi vs. Sith.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
On the other hand none of those stories deserve any respect whatsoever. Even Karpyshyn's dreck.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.
I'll add onto the KOTOR 2 love. KOTOR 2 I found to be much more engaging and fun than KOTOR 1. I dunno, something about the darker and grittier tone of the story and characters I suppose. Speaking of characters, though, who here loved Kreia? What I loved about her was her philosophy on The Force. I mean (spoiler-tagging for those who haven't played the game at all) she says things that do come off as dark and evil, but she puts it in such a way that it makes you think "hey, that kind of actually makes sense." It was this sly, subtle, seductive sort of evil that she peddled, and that really grabbed and intrigued me. Kudos to the writing team!

But yeah, the lack of an ending was disappointing. Hopefully the Restoration Mod fixed that (I wouldn't know as I haven't had a chance to buy KOTOR 2 for PC, and being that my last copy was an Xbox copy...yeah.)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Do any other forms of music have a Space Name? Or is it just jizz?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Wookieepedia has you covered: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Music

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
KOTOR 2 wasn't that good. This forum needs to stop sucking the dick of an unfinished game with forgettable characters. The only memorable one was Kreia and gently caress that bitch, she wasn't seductive she was blatantly a oval office, of course she was evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

KOTOR 2 wasn't that good. This forum needs to stop sucking the dick of an unfinished game with forgettable characters. The only memorable one was Kreia and gently caress that bitch, she wasn't seductive she was blatantly a oval office, of course she was evil.

I'll still never forget...Malachooooor.

Seriously, I still liked it better than 1. No one can take my arachnid-killing and Pazaak-playing experiences on Dantooine away from me. :colbert: