Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I need some wheels for my new to me 08 LGT limited. The retarded previous owner put some horrific chrome rimzzzzz on it that need to go. I can get stock wheels from the dealer at cost, don't know how much that is going to actually cost though. Anyone got some recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The Jabberwocky posted:

So is it firm that the '12 Imprezas are going to be out in August? I can't seem to find anything other than "later this year" coming from SOA.
The Japanese quake has wreaked absolute havoc on availablity for some specialized parts. I was chatting with my dealer back in June when I picked up our new Legacy (which was fortunate to be actually made in May as many weren't) and he said he didn't expect any Imprezzas until Oct, maybe Sept if they were lucky. But he admitted that it's a lot of estimation but the vibe wasn't good.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Terminus Est posted:

I need some wheels for my new to me 08 LGT limited. The retarded previous owner put some horrific chrome rimzzzzz on it that need to go. I can get stock wheels from the dealer at cost, don't know how much that is going to actually cost though. Anyone got some recommendations?
Buy a used set from a Subaru enthusiast site for a song.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Terminus Est posted:

Junkyard (have them spun before buying) or used 05-06 wheels (they're also the 07+ 2.5i wheel)
I'm a big fan.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Amandyke posted:

So you mean exactly my car then? I might have some experience in this area... If you're just going to drop a 2.5l in it, pick one up with an already blown motor. Should be rather easy to talk the guy down on price if the motor needs to be replaced.

Yes I do mean your car. I thought I remembered that someone had done that here. Cool. I will probably hit you with some questions down the line if that's kosher. I'm still in the planning/wishing stages right now, but buying a blown motor is a good idea that I hadn't thought of. Does anyone know if the shop (shops?) near Kansas City is any good as a tuner or general resource? I'm close enough to Cobb in Texas that I would consider going straight to them at some point too, but that's pretty far in the future.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Terminus Est posted:

Dealer cost will still be a ton. As stated above, just buy a used set on a Subaru forum.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

nm posted:

Junkyard (have them spun before buying) or used 05-06 wheels (they're also the 07+ 2.5i wheel)
I'm a big fan.

That's good to know. I'll expand my search outside legacygt forum and hopefully snag some for less than their $400 going rate.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
New WRX no longer an Impreza? (bolding mine)

quote:

Remember the drama around removing the "Skyline" prefix from the GT-R when the all-new supercar debuted in late 2007? Well, it looks like nomenclature surgery is about to happen again, only this time Subaru is doing the separating. That's right, the Impreza and famed WRX -- joined at the hip since 1992 -- are going their separate ways.

While the new production Impreza debuted at this year’s New York Auto Show, the next WRX will take a completely different path of development and will not surface until 2014. We know this because Subaru president Ikuo Mori said at a recent shareholder’s meeting: “We will launch a new sporty car in 2014.” The WRX is that car.

In the past week, we have learned from a source just how different the new WRX will be to the Impreza, employing totally different components.

This image, revealing how one artist sees the new WRX, depicts a new coupe model with a shorter wheelbase and heavy-duty bodywork It's important to note that this is just one vision of the new car, it may turn out to look much different. Our source also tells us Subaru bosses haven't decided if the WRX name will survive. For the time being, we'll refer to it as WRX.

“Apart from a few nuts and bolts, every part on the WRX will be unique. Even the engine and body. Obviously the WRX’s platform will be inherited from the new Impreza, but it will be radically modified and significantly shortened,” says our source.

From now on, the Impreza will be the company's core model, boasting a fuel-efficient, naturally aspirated 2.0-liter boxer engine. The car's wheelbase has been slightly lengthened, while the A-pillar has been brought forward to maximize interior space and comfort levels. At this point, it is unclear if Subaru will attempt an Impreza-based performance model to bridge the gap until the new WRX arrives, but it appears unlikely.

"Up until now, the Impreza and WRX used many common parts, which translated into entry-level Imprezas that were over-engineered," the source continued. The basic chassis and suspension had to employ certain parts needed for the WRX. That drove costs up, and many entry-level customers did not want or understand the significance of such high-tech parts, stresses our insider.

The WRX, on the other hand, will employ the very best from Subaru's parts bin, starting with an updated version of the company's rally-proven AWD system and a turbocharged boxer engine.

"The first thing you must understand about our all-new WRX is that we have developed it from the ground up to win in motorsports events. That's why we have focused so heavily on weight issues, not to mention a shorter wheelbase that permits faster, more precise turn-in. Marry that to our proven AWD system, and we think we have a winner," explains our source.

If you look at the Sebastien Loeb's multiple-championship-winning Citroen C4 in the World Rally Championship, you can see where Subaru is coming from -- or going to. They want to build a WRX that can beat the Citroen while still offering driving enthusiasts something special for their garages. The company has pulled out of WRC, but with the new WRX, a return looks possible. Above the WRX, Subaru will still offer a low-production flagship STI, a model our source calls a "race car for the road."

"Obviously the rally model will be based on the top-of-the-line STI car, but unlike previous Impreza WRXs, this new WRX will be more hard-core and less forgiving on bumpy road surfaces," adds our source. Collaboration with Toyota on the FT-86 project also seems to have something to do with the direction of the new WRX and STI. "If the truth be known, we were able to focus so deeply on the motorsports element with the new WRX because we developed a sister car with the Toyota FT-86. Bosses gave us permission to go all out because that car exists," says our insider.

Our source also revealed what is going on in the bowels of Subaru's R&D. On the short list for the WRX’s powerplant is a turbocharged 1.6-liter boxer pumping as much as 270 hp, and a twin-charger system involving a supercharger is being tested as well. The car’s body is rumored to be a little bigger than a Toyota Yaris, while its tread width is said to expand significantly. As for the STI, we are told that the flagship will also employ the WRX’s 1.6-liter boxer turbo, but that the engine will be reworked to generate upwards of 300 hp for motorsport competitiveness.

Subaru bosses see the new WRX initially competing in domestic rallies and gymkhanas, but they are also targeting Europe's World Touring Car Championships as well as the long-awaited return to the WRC.

Bottom line? Get used to saying Subaru WRX (most of us enthusiasts do, anyway). Expect unprecedented levels of AWD handling and performance at a bargain price -- the vehicle should land in showrooms in roughly two years in the $26,000-$29,000 range.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1107_subaru_wrx_to_go_its_own_way/index.html#ixzz1SC9HJFZy

CRAZY poo poo :catdrugs:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Actually this is loving awesome because the current Impreza's wheel base is too long for dirt.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
That actually sounds pretty awesome, and it makes sense they'd split off from the standard Impreza now that I think about it. I'm curious what this thing will weigh. I'm liking that there seems to be more and more rumblings around the industry of cars getting lighter rather than heavier and more powerful with each incarnation (see 350z vs 370z).

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I too only call it a WRX and dont regard Imprezas as cool or interesting. The new car sounds pretty sweet.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I just hope that if they make it Fiesta/C4-sized they have a five-door option for the WRX. I'm fine with a 3-dr only STI, but I'd like to still be able to give my dogs windows.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

1.6L Turbo? Hello Subaru's return to WRC!!!

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
STi TMIC came in the mail today with some damage. Should I be worried about it leaking? What would be fair to expect back for it? Sold for $200 + shipping as 'undamaged.'

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Is it obviously shipping damage or old damage?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Amandyke posted:

Is it obviously shipping damage or old damage?

Old damage. Was well packaged. Looks like it was either dropped or came from a wrecked car. I don't think it will leak but obviously I'm not thrilled that it's damaged.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Blaise posted:

Old damage. Was well packaged. Looks like it was either dropped or came from a wrecked car. I don't think it will leak but obviously I'm not thrilled that it's damaged.

See if you can't get it pressure tested. If it doesn't leak ask for half back, and settle for $50 back. If it does leak... Well then it's useless and you want your money back and a shipping label to return it.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Where/how can I get it pressure tested? I'm tempted to throw it on and see if it holds boost.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Blaise posted:

Where/how can I get it pressure tested? I'm tempted to throw it on and see if it holds boost.

Something like this: http://www.turbo4wd.com/Turbo4WD/ICPressureTester.html

Essentially just block off all holes in the intercooler, spray it down with some soapy water and pump air into it. Then look for bubbles.

I would also assume that most if not all tuning shops should have this capability as well.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Take it back, it was damaged in shipping. Guy said he'll see what UPS can do on getting money out of it. Sure hope it doesn't leak.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Blaise posted:

Take it back, it was damaged in shipping. Guy said he'll see what UPS can do on getting money out of it. Sure hope it doesn't leak.

UPS will not do anything. "It was not properly packed." Did you take photos of the box before you opened it? I went through this with an intercooler I got off of ebay. Granted the seller should have used a bigger box and bubble wrap instead of packing beads to ship it, but it was REALLY REALLY badly damaged by UPS when I got it, and they didn't pay a cent. Here's the post with photos, notice the *broken* mounts and massive dents: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=382662568

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 15, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Amandyke posted:

UPS will not do anything.

Pretty much this, flat out. I've had UPS destroy thousands of dollars of equipment - incoming, and outgoing - and the most I've ever managed was roughly a $250 settlement on about $1500 worth of hardware, if they got to keep the damaged goods for 'reclamation'.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Viggen posted:

Pretty much this, flat out. I've had UPS destroy thousands of dollars of equipment - incoming, and outgoing - and the most I've ever managed was roughly a $250 settlement on about $1500 worth of hardware, if they got to keep the damaged goods for 'reclamation'.

Holy crap, you've gotten money out of UPS? You must tell me your secrets! My company ships $25,000 medical equipment and we've had them show up without the bottom of the box and UPS will straight up say that they received it that way, claim denied.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Amandyke posted:

Holy crap, you've gotten money out of UPS? You must tell me your secrets! My company ships $25,000 medical equipment and we've had them show up without the bottom of the box and UPS will straight up say that they received it that way, claim denied.

It was a $1500-for-the-cpus server somewhere around Q2, 2003. Since then, everything was denied, but they tried the same poo poo with that claim - even though it was packed by UPS. When they blamed the packing, I said "Hey, you guys did it', spent about another month battling it out, and they offered $250. v:shobon:v

e: Just remembered, it was some crazy Tyan based dual Pentium overdrive 850 mhz beast with 1G RAM and a huge scsi array. Can't remember what the hell the purpose for it was, though.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 15, 2011

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
I just bought a 2011 WRX. loving break in period is going to last forever. I have the short throw shifter being installed next week which will be nice because the stock one doesn't feel very good.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wrar posted:

Actually this is loving awesome because the current Impreza's wheel base is too long for dirt.

No it's not - the VR4 is a long wheelbase and you know how well that works, the EVO9 is about as log as well and that's the best there is. The actual wheel layout isnt all that bad in the MY11. What cripples it and I suspect also cripples it on tarmac - is exactly the thing I got a bees dick to getting banned from here when I told grzydj he was a fuckign idiot and to learn how suspension works, the rear suspension. Well dj, I'm loving right and you are a stupid oval office.

The suspension works in far too narrow a range, so if you tune it for a certain surface it can work but get it outside of that zone, you are hosed. I've noticed a lot of racers go to the new chassis and a bit later return to an 06/07 as the suspension, while on paper a throwback, in fact works much better and is more forgiving. It may ride better in the base model but why the gently caress do you want a floaty ride in a car that's supposed to be and is advertised as a tamed rally car? Being a refined dignified car does not work, the WRX IS supposed to be raw rough around the edges, but loaded with real engineering and gently caress the fun police.

The article on the new WRX does seem to allude that Subaru will be basing the new WRX on the Toybaru. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. That's kinda got me thinking about getting a MY11 or holding out. (The 06 sure as gently caress aint being sold tho)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
yeah, GD chassis has about 8" of rear wheel travel. GR is like 4.5.

the people who are seriously rallying the GR make big changes to the rear suspension. I took a look under the open class imprezas at global rally x and they've gone to a custom subframe with much longer links and relocated the shock towers to run a longer damper.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Dunno why you would bother when the 06 has what you want to begin with. You dont really get better hardware in the driveline, or a better chassis with a switch to the GR.

This I think sums it up - I want to race the 06. I want to put a towabar on a MY11 for a box trailer and throw mountain bikes in the back. I want to leap curbs and be the last of the late brakers in the 06 - I want to cruise and sit in traffic in the 11. I want to strip every bit of useless weight out of the 06 - I want to put in a good stereo in the MY11. I want to throw in 6 grand worth of suspension on the 06 to pass people around the outside - I want to put in better struts and shocks in the 11 so it doesnt kill me

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.
I'm so stoked about the new WRX in '14. Thanks for posting that, it's the news I've been waiting for!

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

War Bunny posted:

I'm so stoked about the new WRX in '14. Thanks for posting that, it's the news I've been waiting for!

Yeah, pretty much. The more Subaru cares about rally the better as far as I'm concerned. I was kind of hoping that Toyota would let them do some dumb stuff, so I hope it's a legitimate thing.

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
How long should I let my WRX idle before shutting it off so the turbo cools down?

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Airbone Operation posted:

How long should I let my WRX idle before shutting it off so the turbo cools down?

Dont have to on '02 and up Subarus. Used to hate having to do that on turbo cars.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Washed and waxed the new '11 this morning with Meguiar's Gold products. That wax comes off super easy compared to others I've used.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

God, that thing is awesome.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Looks fantastic! Seriously one of the few darker colored GR's I've seen without swirls and whatnot in the paint. It always cracks me up when I clean my '11 and remember the rims are actually a very shiny black. Brake dust seems to be as bad as a BMW I had in the past.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So inner CV boots throw grease on your exhaust and make smoke.

Interesting. . . .

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I had that happen and I thought I had blown the turbo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I almost wish I've blown the turbo (no I don't, car gods, don't even think it, I've already replaced my drivetrain).
Be easier to clean up.
Like everything on the passenger side is coated. The subframe is disgusting.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, it's gone. Farewell sweet wagon, we hardly knew ye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Fixed my exhaust today...

All the local kiddies thought I had a sick exhaust. Nope, just a big ol' crack. State inspection is due this month so the whole exhaust got dropped and brazed back together. Also hose clamped some heat shields.

I work in the city and park in a parking garage with a bunch of fancy business types. They will probably like not hearing exhaust echoing through the whole place and metal on metal vibrations as I'm sitting idling.

Also put new headlight bulbs in the car. The ones that came out were stamped 2001.... So yeah, once I get to the country and I have to dip to lows which shuts off my light bar, I can kinda see now instead of OH GOD THE LIGHT BAR IS OFF WHERE AM I GOING gently caress. I'll be dehazing the housing and maybe rewiring the lights to try and squeeze as much as I can out of them. Then start throwing better lights on the light bar. I have a problem.