Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

click click posted:

EDIT: Actually, I think I sperged too hard. Any info at all about the sponge + pulling out would be appreciated.

I don't know much about sponges, because they certainly have fallen out of favour (I suspect because spermicide itself has fallen out of favour), but I do know that pulling out when done right every time is actually quite effective. The main caveat is that the guy has to pee right before sex to flush out any sperm hanging around in the urethra. And you have to, you know, actually pull out. Which is why withdrawal has such a high typical use failure rate.

Personally, were I seeking a nonhormonal contraceptive that wasn't a copper IUD or condoms of any sort, I'd look into fertility awareness and combine that with withdrawal, abstinence and/or condoms at ovulation. Most other nonhormonal methods require some preparation before sex, and many of them aren't as effective without spermicide (which has downsides - such as yeast infections and irritation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naked bacon
Feb 16, 2011

I have some questions! Hopefully I didn't miss these somewhere already in the thread, but here goes:

So I've been on yasmin 28 for well over a year now, and for the longest time I've had a really normal cycle. The period would usually show up late wednesday to early thursday, and it would finish sunday (which is when I would start the new pack of pills)

So some information: Before expecting last months period I was VERY sexually active. We did a lot during the days I was over at his place, and when I returned home (this was 3-4 days before the period usually came) I didn't think about it too much. But when it didn't show up at the normal time I pretty much freaked out. I told him right away about my paranoia and He had me come over a couple days later to go to a clinic and get some one on one time with someone to talk about it, and also a test.

The lady there was really nice. She said she highly doubted that I was pregnant and that it's normal for lateness like this to occur, but I still didn't feel completely convinced. She gave me a take home test to take a couple weeks later, which I did and it showed negative. (also, I did tell her about being really sexually active but I don't think she mentioned that had too much to do with it? I'm sorry for not having the best memory right now...)

Anyways what really bothers me about this still is that this is the first time I've been really late with a period, and not only that but it was a very light one at that. I don't have super heavy periods but I bleed enough that I have to have a good supply of pads around.

Was all the sexual activity part of the lateness? Was all my worry and stress aiding this? Am I just WAY too paranoid/a worrywort? I'd really like to know if anyone else has had a similar problem like this, or just random lateness in general.

twee_fangs
Mar 25, 2005

Normalcy is coursing through my veins.

Pip pip pip posted:

I'm a little late to the uterus-size discussion, but I thought I'd chime in. Height isn't always directly related to uterus size. I'm 5'11" and when I had my Mirena inserted my Gyn told me that I have a tiny uterus v:shobon:v. It still fit fine though and she mentioned that she's never had anyone with a uterus too small for an IUD.

Thanks to everyone for all the uterus-size responses. I feel a lot better now. I had been deliberating over the IUD for a long time, so once I decided I was going to get it, I was a little worried that I might not be able to, but I've been reassured. I will post again after my insertion (should be in about two weeks, yay).

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

click click posted:

Since the conception rate with typical use over a year for sponges is 16% (Wikipedia) and conception rate for coitus interruptus is let's say 20% (15-28%) multiplying the two should give us a 3.2% conception rate if these are independent events, right?

Unfortunately not. Contraceptive failure rates don't work this way.

quote:

Additional spermicide could be used to cut this down even more. So, for typical use, we could be looking at 3.2% for sponges + pulling out + extra spermicide versus 10-18% for condoms.

The sponge, cervical cap and diaphragm all require the use of spermicide in the first place and its presence is included in their failure rates. I would also hope that you're aiming for the perfect use rates rather than typical use rates. Just being able to put a condom on right and not using lubes or products that reduce the condom's integrity pretty much constitutes "perfect use".

In that sense, the condom is "better" as far as effectiveness goes. The rest is all up to personal preference.

quote:

I'm concerned that these aren't independent events, though. This is why I'm searching high and low for an academic source to ease my mind and bolster my argument!

I doubt you'll find any articles on this topic specifically, since it's inferred that contraceptives aren't additive in that "multiply A by B" way.

quote:

EDIT: Actually, I think I sperged too hard. Any info at all about the sponge + pulling out would be appreciated.

This free e-book should give you a bit more info, including most of what I mentioned in this post: http://www.managingcontraception.com/shopping/product.php?productid=16161

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
I was going to write this long-rear end diatribe about which BC I should should choose, but while researching to formulate my post I kinda answered my own question.

Mirena, I choose you :buddy:

Fortunately, I already have a prescription for it. My last OB/Gyn just gave me a prescription for every option under the sun so I could make up my mind in peace. She was awesome, why did she have to move :smithicide:.

But I still have questions about Mirena specifically :j:.

I was on Alesse/Aviane for 6 of the last 7 years, a pill with 100 µg levonorgestrel and 20 µg ethinyl estradiol. I'm happy to see that Mirena uses the same progestogen, meaning that I shouldn't react adversely to it. But what is the effect of losing the estrogen? Why is it even marketed if you don't need it?

Speaking of hormones, is there a consensus as to their effect on skin? A dermatologist once told me that they can worsen skin conditions, but I know they're sometimes used to treat acne? I don't have acne, but pretty bad keratosis pilaris. I don't know if hormones have the same effect on these conditions, though....

In a similar vein, is Mirena known to decrease sex drive? What about weight gain?

Also, I'm worried about possible yeast infections/UTIs because of the strings, since I'm prone to them (I had 1 yeast infection and 2 UTIs the one month I tried NuvaRing...).

Can you still wear a menstrual cup with an IUD?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Bloody Mayhem posted:

I was on Alesse/Aviane for 6 of the last 7 years, a pill with 100 µg levonorgestrel and 20 µg ethinyl estradiol. I'm happy to see that Mirena uses the same progestogen, meaning that I shouldn't react adversely to it. But what is the effect of losing the estrogen? Why is it even marketed if you don't need it?

Speaking of hormones, is there a consensus as to their effect on skin? A dermatologist once told me that they can worsen skin conditions, but I know they're sometimes used to treat acne? I don't have acne, but pretty bad keratosis pilaris. I don't know if hormones have the same effect on these conditions, though....

In a similar vein, is Mirena known to decrease sex drive? What about weight gain?

Also, I'm worried about possible yeast infections/UTIs because of the strings, since I'm prone to them (I had 1 yeast infection and 2 UTIs the one month I tried NuvaRing...).

I don't know about most of this, but I still use a Diva Cup with my Mirena. In the very small period in which I was not on SSRI's (:() and had my Mirena, my sex drive was awesome. It's not the same kind of in & out as a NuvaRing, so I should think it'd be less stressful on your vag, especially since most of it is in the uterus.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I still use my diva cup with my IUD. If you are breaking the suction as you pull out there should be no problem at all. My GYN said she's only heard of problems once and she said the woman grabbed the string with her fingers on the cup and pulled it out.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

DRP Solved! posted:

Just being able to put a condom on right and not using lubes or products that reduce the condom's integrity pretty much constitutes "perfect use".
This is not even vaguely true. Here are some things that "perfect use" entails:
- Don't store it in a wallet, glovebox, or anywhere else that might be friction-y, warm, or light
- Check the expiration date
- Be sure it's airtight before opening
- Squish it to the side before opening
- Don't open it with your teeth
- Pinch the tip while putting it on
- Be sure there are no air bubbles before using
- After you come, pull out immediately, while using one hand to hold the condom around the base

Do you seriously do all of these every time? I wouldn't even trust the average goon not to put it on inside-out. It's called typical use for a reason.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Anne Whateley posted:

- Don't store it in a wallet, glovebox, or anywhere else that might be friction-y, warm, or light
- After you come, pull out immediately, while using one hand to hold the condom around the base

Do you seriously do all of these every time? I wouldn't even trust the average goon not to put it on inside-out. It's called typical use for a reason.

True, but we can probably agree that typical use condom still comes out really really well compared to typical use sponge & spermicide, which was her point.

click click posted:

You can't feel poo poo? They can break? They interrupt the act? They fit too tight? They taste nasty? They can slip off?

I don't like condoms, but I don't think they ruin sex or whatever. If even mentioning them makes you this upset, no wonder they "interrupt the act." Try some different brands. Anyway, sorry, this is the BC thread so of course you should go with whatever type makes you comfortable, but perpetuating the idea that condoms are some sort of torture device for making sex terrible is not a good thing either. And as for everyone in this thread, regardless of your method, I hope you and your partner have some idea of what you'd do if your method of choice failed.

eta: Speaking of that conversation, does anyone know anything about what happens if you beat the odds and get pregnant with an IUD in? I know it's got a higher chance of being ectopic or miscarrying, but I guess I'm curious as to how it could turn out to be a healthy pregnancy after all, even after removing the IUD. Wouldn't doing so be pretty stressful on the uterus? (I do not think I'm pregnant, but because I'm :tinfoil:, I like to be able to worry accurately).

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 13, 2011

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Eggplant Wizard posted:

True, but we can probably agree that typical use condom still comes out really really well compared to typical use sponge & spermicide, which was her point.
Yeah, and I do totally agree with that. I just think it's important to point out that just because you're using a method of birth control definitely doesn't mean it qualifies as "perfect use" -- no matter how good you think you are, err on the safe side and figure you fall into the typical category, like 99% of us do.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007
Eggplant Wizard, I asked that at PP once. Their response was to pull the IUD out and risk miscarriage, or leave it in and hope for the best. They didn't say anything bad would happen to the baby if you left it in, but they wouldn't say it was risk-free either.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Eggplant Wizard posted:

And as for everyone in this thread, regardless of your method, I hope you and your partner have some idea of what you'd do if your method of choice failed.

Truth. The chances of failure are higher with a user responsibility based form of birth control, i.e. condoms, pills, sponges/spermacides, etc. I wanted to lessen my chances of failure so I switched to Depo back in the day and am now currently on my second Implanon.

The talk is not fun but it's an easier path to travel when it's hypothetical rather than reality. Keep in mind, though, that ideologies may fall under the pressures of certainty. Even if you and/or your partner are against abortion, it might be the right choice for you at the time if you're ever faced with that decision. Inversely, even if you feel like having a baby is the last thing you'd do at this point of your life/ever, knowing you're preggers may throw your plans for a loop.

Adoption is a great option but not a topic for the birth control thread.

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.
Got my IUD taken out today! It was mega pain-free, I was so surprised. It felt like I could have just pulled it out myself and saved me the frustration with the clinic.
Speaking of them, I went to dinner with a couple friend of ours a few days ago and my friend told me that she had also tried the IUD and had gotten it from that clinic. She experienced INTENSE pain and very heavy, constant bleeding for over 6 months with it and called the clinic just about every week in order to have it removed/checked out. All they did every time she called was just tell her to give it some time to adjust and it'll be normal again. She put up with this until she got married and went to a proper hospital to have it looked at and they told her that it was obviously causing a major problem with her uterus and that she should have had it removed a long time ago. :gonk:
Glad I never have to trust them with my reproductive organs again.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

While all good points, I wasn't saying that those two things were all-inclusive of all that you needed to do, just that they were major factors in perfect use of condoms. Many of the things that you pointed out are included in my two points.

Chill Anne, I wasn't implying that all you need for perfect use is to use an expired cut-out of the condom as a penis-tip-hat.

spoonfulofwhoopass
Feb 11, 2010

Eggplant Wizard posted:

eta: Speaking of that conversation, does anyone know anything about what happens if you beat the odds and get pregnant with an IUD in? I know it's got a higher chance of being ectopic or miscarrying, but I guess I'm curious as to how it could turn out to be a healthy pregnancy after all, even after removing the IUD. Wouldn't doing so be pretty stressful on the uterus? (I do not think I'm pregnant, but because I'm :tinfoil:, I like to be able to worry accurately).

Welp, this happened to my mom with me. Basically what happened was she went straight to her OB, who removed the IUD and sent her to bed for two days, from which she was not to rise for anything except the bathroom. Luckily she stayed pregnant so I got to be born. :unsmith:

Edit: She had a perfectly normal, healthy pregnancy. Some women aren't so lucky, because the removal of the IUD can indeed cause miscarriage. Every woman is different.

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010
Okay ladies, I have a question.
Friday I was supposed to put a new NuvaRing in around 7pm, but I forgot until the next day (at least 12 hours had passed). Then I rememebered, put it in, and had unprotected sex Sunday night with the bf. I've been on NuvaRing for over a year, is there a chance that forgetting for that long could cause a pregnancy?

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream

The Peacock posted:

Okay ladies, I have a question.
Friday I was supposed to put a new NuvaRing in around 7pm, but I forgot until the next day (at least 12 hours had passed). Then I rememebered, put it in, and had unprotected sex Sunday night with the bf. I've been on NuvaRing for over a year, is there a chance that forgetting for that long could cause a pregnancy?

While the chance is small, yes, you may have ovulated and be at risk for getting pregnant. You're already outside the time window for Plan B, otherwise I'd say go get that now. Just try to relax and hope for the best until you can test in a few weeks.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
My grandmother had an old generation of a copper IUD and got pregnant with it. She said they left it in and it came out stuck to my aunt's arm when she delivered.

She was, understandably, against my getting an IUD, heh. The whole thing is an unfortunate problem with IUDs - at least they have a very low failure rate.

click click
Aug 9, 2006

DRP Solved! posted:

This free e-book should give you a bit more info, including most of what I mentioned in this post: http://www.managingcontraception.com/shopping/product.php?productid=16161
Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like the truth behind the sponge is like the truth behind a lot of things: complicated. I'll go ahead and read up on this and see if I can come up with a solution that makes both of us happy.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
This is not about BC per se, but it got me really worried.

Since I stopped taking the pill in December, my period usually starts with 2-3 days of light spotting before the heavier flow starts with a bang (cramps, bloating, diarrhea, general 'uggh' feeling) and lasts for 3-4 days.

I started my period last Monday and the heavier flow started this morning. I went to work and the cramps were starting. It got progressively worse until I said 'gently caress it' and headed back home (flexible hours); I ended up doing that last time too.

As I was waiting for the bus, it got even worse. During the 10-min bus ride, I started feeling really, really bad. It actually felt like a vasovagal response-lite. There was no buzzing sound or tunnel vision, and I didn't feel like I was going to pass out. But I did start feeling like I was extremely hot, but I wasn't, if that makes sense. Cold sweat, weakness, labored breathing, the same crampy feeling I got when I had a cervical biopsy done, etc.

The lady beside me was giving me a 'wtf?' look because I kept fidgeting. I felt extremely uncoordinated while getting off the bus, walking home and unlocking my door. I stayed on the toilet for a long while just breathing hard and sweating. I tried lying down, but it didn't help. I ended running myself a bath and just soaked in for a while until I felt better, before switching to the couch and reclining there.

Now I'm up and about, even though I still have that distinctive 'period!' feeling in my stomach. And I'm just wondering wtf just happened? This never happened to me before, but I'm noticing that since I went off the pill, that first day of heavy flow is getting worse.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
Hope this is thread-appropriate. I'm just wondering, about how soon after conception would one start getting early pregnancy symptoms like nausea? I ask because the last time I had sex was about a week ago, and so far I've had mysterious nausea and vomiting twice just in the last week. I haven't been able to trace it back to any food, and I don't think I would have gotten two separate stomach viruses within less than a week of each other? (It's possible, though; I work around kids, so lots of germ exposure.)

Worst case scenario, I have emergency contraceptives on hand. But still... :ohdear:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Budget Bears posted:

Worst case scenario, I have emergency contraceptives on hand. But still... :ohdear:

The most effective window for emergency contraception is 72 hours. Someone else can probably answer about pregnancy symptoms. I just wouldn't know but I do know it's different for everyone. I think my mom had morning sickness about 3 seconds after conception. But, I had some aunts who never had any at all.

I had a scare once and I made myself nauseous and vomity from the stress and worry. Try to calm down (I know, I know.) and if you're late, pee on the stick.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Budget Bears posted:

Hope this is thread-appropriate. I'm just wondering, about how soon after conception would one start getting early pregnancy symptoms like nausea? I ask because the last time I had sex was about a week ago, and so far I've had mysterious nausea and vomiting twice just in the last week. I haven't been able to trace it back to any food, and I don't think I would have gotten two separate stomach viruses within less than a week of each other? (It's possible, though; I work around kids, so lots of germ exposure.)

Generally speaking, symptoms kick in around 6-8 weeks after conception. But there's a ton of leeway on that. I know people who were nauseous within a couple of weeks and people who never were.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

Geolicious posted:

The most effective window for emergency contraception is 72 hours. Someone else can probably answer about pregnancy symptoms. I just wouldn't know but I do know it's different for everyone. I think my mom had morning sickness about 3 seconds after conception. But, I had some aunts who never had any at all.

I had a scare once and I made myself nauseous and vomity from the stress and worry. Try to calm down (I know, I know.) and if you're late, pee on the stick.

My next period isn't due for a little over two weeks so I won't know if I'm late until then. At that point it will have been ~3 1/2 weeks since conception. What would my options be at that point, if I do turn out to be pregnant? Not trying to get ahead of myself, just want to be prepared.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Budget Bears posted:

My next period isn't due for a little over two weeks so I won't know if I'm late until then. At that point it will have been ~3 1/2 weeks since conception. What would my options be at that point, if I do turn out to be pregnant? Not trying to get ahead of myself, just want to be prepared.

In simplest terms: keep it, adoption, or termination.

I would go to an OBGYN or Planned Parenthood as soon as you know (and to get a second test) to fully explore what's going to be best option for you.

Fingers crossed you're fetus-free!

edit: Did your BC fail? Is that why you're worried? (I've been there) If you're not pregnant, maybe go to PP anyhow and discuss a more reliable BC? That is, if you aren't already using one.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 15, 2011

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Has anyone here had any experience with Kariva? It seems like your run-of-the-mill birth control but I just want to be sure. My doc is stopping me on the NuvaRing and Jolivette and putting me on Kariva to increase "the good side effects" since the Jolivette pretty much kills my mood and my libido. The 3 or some odd weeks I was off of it, I was so horny and felt so great, but had really bad blood sugar episodes and really really bad body acne. I don't want to be off of it, but I don't want to be in a foul, prudish mood all the time.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

Geolicious posted:

In simplest terms: keep it, adoption, or termination.

I would go to an OBGYN or Planned Parenthood as soon as you know (and to get a second test) to fully explore what's going to be best option for you.

Fingers crossed you're fetus-free!

edit: Did your BC fail? Is that why you're worried? (I've been there) If you're not pregnant, maybe go to PP anyhow and discuss a more reliable BC? That is, if you aren't already using one.

I'm on the patch, and I've been using it exactly as instructed. Never even had an Oops My Patch Fell Off moment. So I think the chances are pretty slim. I'm just freaked out by the unexplainable nausea and vomiting. Thanks for the advice. :)

Innovative Salad
Jun 18, 2003

That's President Tandi to you.

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Fortunately, I already have a prescription for it. My last OB/Gyn just gave me a prescription for every option under the sun so I could make up my mind in peace. She was awesome, why did she have to move :smithicide:.

Can I have your ob/gyn? She sounds almost disturbingly cool.

Bloody Mayhem posted:

In a nutshell, estrogen buys you a lot of error tolerance, higher effectiveness, and sometimes fewer side effects in oral contraception. Most of these things you don't need in an IUD, since you're physically incapable of skipping a dose or puking it up. Progestin-only methods also seem to be better at suppressing periods, or at least Mirena is.

As far as I can tell, the one negative side effect you get from dropping the estrogen is the higher probability of bad effects on your skin.

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Combined methods are often used to treat acne. The estrogen helps, as does counteracting hormone fluctuations that make some women prone to acne outbreaks.

I've never heard of Mirena doing anything either way for keratosis pilaris. The package insert does suggest that it will give quite a few people (a good 30%, IIRC) worse acne.

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Both of those can obviously happen, although they're less likely than with most hormonal methods simply because the dosage is so much lower. Anecdotally, I did lose a bit of weight and experience a small increase in libido after I went off Mirena, although it was nothing at all compared to going off the pill.

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Yes, although if you get a Mirena, you're not likely to need one. I think most women experience a marked decrease in bleeding, and 20 or 30% (again, IIRC) stop having periods at all. I've been using a Lunette since I switched to ParaGard, and it works perfectly - you just have to make sure to break the seal properly before you pull it out. (Not doing this sounds incredibly uncomfortable whether you have an IUD or not, so this doesn't seem like a big sacrifice.) The menstrual cup thread talks about this topic pretty regularly too.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Budget Bears posted:

I'm on the patch, and I've been using it exactly as instructed. Never even had an Oops My Patch Fell Off moment. So I think the chances are pretty slim. I'm just freaked out by the unexplainable nausea and vomiting. Thanks for the advice. :)

I'm sure you're fine then! But, hey, I can totally relate to the paranoia. I start freaking out if I'm a few hours late. I just KNOW I must be that 0.1% so cue :supaburn: freakout.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

Geolicious posted:

I'm sure you're fine then! But, hey, I can totally relate to the paranoia. I start freaking out if I'm a few hours late. I just KNOW I must be that 0.1% so cue :supaburn: freakout.

And then, of course the stress and worry of the freaking out causes my body to be even later causing more freaking out and it's just an awful cycle!

But yeah, you're probably fine on the patch!

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Geolicious posted:

Dang Geo, are you really that regular? I'm envious of girls who know what day or even within a few days that you're going to start. I've been on Implanon for 4+ years and was on Depo for 4+ before that. Ragging is always a hello moment for me.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fork bomb posted:

Dang Geo, are you really that regular? I'm envious of girls who know what day or even within a few days that you're going to start. I've been on Implanon for 4+ years and was on Depo for 4+ before that. Ragging is always a hello moment for me.

Yep. Been on Lo-Ovral for 8+ years. It was the first pill I tried and it so worked for me. I've been very lucky. Through the years my period has gotten shorter and shorter on the pill, meaning it starts later and later instead of ending earlier. So, I've peed on quite a few sticks while my bf just shakes his head and tells me to calm down.

Right, now, it's been happening on Thursday mornings for a while. And wraps up by Saturday night. That's why I want Mirena for something more long term. I just cannot go back to period land on another BC.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bagleworm posted:

My grandmother had an old generation of a copper IUD and got pregnant with it. She said they left it in and it came out stuck to my aunt's arm when she delivered.

Hahaha, no way. Is this true? Does your aunt have a scar? That just sounds too crazy to be true.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

No kidding. She's lucky it didn't end up embedded in her skull or something :gonk:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've always heard those stories were bullshit because there's no way the iud could be in the gestational sac. It could theoretically come out before or after the baby though.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
I'm guessing it just expelled at the same time as there was no particular reason for the IUD to stay in the uterus with a dilated cervix and all the movement of delivering a baby... not that it was attached to the baby in any way.

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.
I have a question. I got my Implanon out almost three weeks ago, and they gave me Nuvaring that same day. They told me to go ahead and insert it, three weeks later pull it out etc etc. Tuesday will be the three week mark where I pull it out and have my period. I was wondering if I could pull it out today, and get back on a Sunday start schedule instead? I would be removing it 3 days earlier, but I would also insert my new one next Sunday. Is that ok?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Lanthanum posted:

I have a question. I got my Implanon out almost three weeks ago, and they gave me Nuvaring that same day. They told me to go ahead and insert it, three weeks later pull it out etc etc. Tuesday will be the three week mark where I pull it out and have my period. I was wondering if I could pull it out today, and get back on a Sunday start schedule instead? I would be removing it 3 days earlier, but I would also insert my new one next Sunday. Is that ok?

You can do that or you can leave the ring in until next Sunday and take it out then. The ring has enough hormones in it to last at least 28 days.

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.
Also, how high up the vagina is the ring supposed to go? I feel mine is super shallow, i can stick the first third of my finger in and feel it already, I've tried pushing it up further but it always comes down and hangs out there. I don't feel it while walking around, and it hasn't ever fallen out yet, but I was under the impression that its higher up????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

Lanthanum posted:

Also, how high up the vagina is the ring supposed to go?

As long as it is in and not bugging you or falling out, it's fine. There's no real place that it is supposed to be so you can just let it settle in anywhere.

• Locked thread