Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Yeah most likely. It's that $114 one they have on their site. I guess I don't understand what Special Offers mean. Worse comes to worse the ads aren't that terrible, but why give me the default screensavers if their poo poo ads are just going to take over my Kindle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Willsun posted:

Yeah most likely. It's that $114 one they have on their site. I guess I don't understand what Special Offers mean. Worse comes to worse the ads aren't that terrible, but why give me the default screensavers if their poo poo ads are just going to take over my Kindle?

I'm surprised you got the author screensavers at all!

The "Special Offers" Kindle is called such because:
  • It costs less
  • You get ads instead of screensavers and home screen images
  • You will occasionally get exclusive Amazon discounts (pay $10, recieve a $20 Amazon gift card, for example)

Sticky Wheeler
Mar 18, 2010
What's better, 3G on the Kindle, or 3G on the Nook? I just want to jailbreak/root an eBook reader and use it for email/Twitter/Wikipedia wherever since I don't have a data plan or a smartphone. Is AT&T's network more widespread than Sprint's?

Sticky Wheeler fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 13, 2011

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Drunk Tomato posted:

I'm surprised you got the author screensavers at all!

S-so I'm not getting the old screensavers back then?

Sticky Wheeler posted:

Is AT&T's network more widespread than Sprint's?

As far as I'm concerned, Sprint's network is more widespread since they also roam off of Verizon's. Some people have bad luck with spots though. Ask a local franchise to see if some cities don't get coverage. One city in my county just did not have any towers that would get them covered with Sprint. Otherwise I've heard more trouble with random dead spots from AT&T.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Sticky Wheeler posted:

What's better, 3G on the Kindle, or 3G on the Nook? I just want to jailbreak/root an eBook reader and use it for email/Twitter/Wikipedia wherever since I don't have a data plan or a smartphone. Is AT&T's network more widespread than Sprint's?

If you want a tablet, get a tablet.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Willsun posted:

S-so I'm not getting the old screensavers back then?

Sorry, that's kind of the whole point of the "Kindle with Ads" or whatever it's called.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sticky Wheeler posted:

There are no ereaders with Sprint now (unless some dude on craigslist is selling 2007-2009 model Kindles from before they swiched).

The Kindles with AT&T roam on any GSM network they can find, you just won't get 3G if it roams on T-Mobile etc but hey you don't pay monthly fees and it's not really important if your book takes a minute to download instead of 10 seconds.

Sticky Wheeler
Mar 18, 2010

Contra Duck posted:

If you want a tablet, get a tablet.

I don't want a tablet, I want Wikipedia: the device that I can occasionally look up local addresses and other info on when I'm not reading on it. Or for Tweeting. I was hoping that the 3G service bundled with Kindles/Nooks is more widespread than looking for random open wifi networks with an iPod Touch.

fishmech posted:

There are no ereaders with Sprint now (unless some dude on craigslist is selling 2007-2009 model Kindles from before they swiched).

Oh, so it's still called Whispernet even though it's not Sprint?

Sticky Wheeler fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 13, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sticky Wheeler posted:

Oh, so it's still called Whispernet even though it's not Sprint?

Well, yes, Whispernet is an Amazon brand/service not a Sprint brand/service.

Here's how the coverage looks:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Amazon Kindle 3G with ads is now brought to you by AT&T and consequently has droped the price down to $139.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/07/amazon-cuts-price-on-kindle-3g-with-special-offers-to-139-with-att-advertisments.html

Essentially AT&T bought up most of the ad space on the device and Amazon can now lower its price accordingly.

Let the price wars begin, I'll bet they drop even lower come Christmas.

Chib
Nov 20, 2006
I got my 6 year old a 50 Euro DFRNCE since it was getting pricey buying 11 Euro books in English every other day. Has anyone ever heard of these before? Is it going to crap out on us in the next month or two?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Cartoon Man posted:

The Amazon Kindle 3G with ads is now brought to you by AT&T and consequently has droped the price down to $139.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/07/amazon-cuts-price-on-kindle-3g-with-special-offers-to-139-with-att-advertisments.html

Essentially AT&T bought up most of the ad space on the device and Amazon can now lower its price accordingly.

Let the price wars begin, I'll bet they drop even lower come Christmas.

Nice. I wonder if they'll drop the Wi-fi w/ ads to.... under $100?? Because then that becomes an instant purchase.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Drunk Tomato posted:

Nice. I wonder if they'll drop the Wi-fi w/ ads to.... under $100?? Because then that becomes an instant purchase.

The article mentions that Kindle owners that have the 3G version buy 20% more books than those who have the WiFi. My guess is they will leave the wifi version at its current price and try to lure those on the fence into getting a 3G version in the hopes they will buy more books.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Sticky Wheeler posted:

I don't want a tablet, I want Wikipedia: the device that I can occasionally look up local addresses and other info on when I'm not reading on it. Or for Tweeting. I was hoping that the 3G service bundled with Kindles/Nooks is more widespread than looking for random open wifi networks with an iPod Touch.

e-ink devices are universally terrible at doing things that aren't 'reading a book'. Yes they have inbuilt browsers but trying to use them will make you want to gouge your eyes out. They're slow, the keyboards are awful and anything even remotely dynamic will just not work. If you want to do things that aren't just 'reading a book' then get a tablet.

Sticky Wheeler
Mar 18, 2010
Alright, time to get a Nook Color and root it, then.

Seriously, even Wikipedia usage is bad? So much for H2G2 status.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It's usable on a Kindle (but far from ideal), but really, what you're wanting is a Nook Colour.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
What you want is a phone or a netbook or a desktop or a laptop or a tablet. What you don't want is an eReader. Those are for books, not browsing the internet. :)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Sticky Wheeler posted:

Alright, time to get a Nook Color and root it, then.

Seriously, even Wikipedia usage is bad? So much for H2G2 status.

Wikipedia works pretty well actually.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Decius posted:

Wikipedia works pretty well actually.

Anything heavily text based works well to be honest. It's stupid for people to be recommending a Nook Color that at this point costs almost twice as much to someone who seems only interested in a browser for looking up things quickly.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Can anyone confirm that the 3g service works in Australia? (In major cities is fine). The map implies that, but I cant' really tell.

Also, does the browser look at "the internet", or just at certain approved websites? If it's "the internet", could you theoretically read SA on it if you wanted? I understand the limitations of e-ink, I just wnat to know if it could be done.

If the answers are "3g works in Aus" and "You can browse the whole internet, for a given value of 'browse'", then I'm ordering one tonight.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

You can try to look at anything on your web browser, but generally speaking only text heavy websites like Wikipedia or sites with specific mobile pages (gmail, most news and weather sites) will work well.

If you disable images, you can browse the forums to some extent, but it's still slow and incredibly inefficient.

And yeah, Australia has 3G coverage.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

That's all good, especially if it does gmail adequately. A long-battery-life book reader / email getter is exactly what I want. Especially if I don't have to pay to look at my email from wherever.

So, calibre looks pretty cool. Anything I should know about it that's not obvious?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AlphaDog posted:

Can anyone confirm that the 3g service works in Australia? (In major cities is fine). The map implies that, but I cant' really tell.

Also, does the browser look at "the internet", or just at certain approved websites? If it's "the internet", could you theoretically read SA on it if you wanted? I understand the limitations of e-ink, I just want to know if it could be done.

If the answers are "3g works in Aus" and "You can browse the whole internet, for a given value of 'browse'", then I'm ordering one tonight.

It works in Australia and it works great for any site where you don't need sound/a bunch of colors/heavy scripting/video. Gmail should work fine, especially in "basic html" mode, and wikipedia works great, and most map sites like google maps work decently as well.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

AlphaDog posted:

"You can browse the whole internet, for a given value of 'browse'"

I just got one and yes it's slow and far from ideal but perfectly functional, and yes it works on the forums.

Sticky Wheeler
Mar 18, 2010
Yeah, my intention was to use it to check text heavy sites. It's not as if I was expecting to use YouTube or play Flash games on it.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

If you're in a roaming area (for example, anywhere besides the US), it's unbearably slow for regular use with text sites, too. Just something to use in a pinch, usually. Anki is the only thing that I've found it really useful for.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

edit: somebody posted my advice 5 posts up

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 15, 2011

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

AlphaDog posted:

That's all good, especially if it does gmail adequately. A long-battery-life book reader / email getter is exactly what I want. Especially if I don't have to pay to look at my email from wherever.

So, calibre looks pretty cool. Anything I should know about it that's not obvious?

I just want to add that many e-books on Amazon are not available for Australian residents. I can't give an exact percentage, but for my own personal experience with mainly non-fiction (science, history, social criticism), I'd say about 25%. For example, try and get a kindle version of a Carl Sagan book.

loving publishers.

edit:
I blew these figures out of the arse of Google, so pinch of salt:
Ebooks available for Kindle users: 950,000+ (Jan 2011)
Ebooks available for Aussie Kindle users: 744,240

So about 25% unavailabilities.

edit 2:
I should add that I have absolutely no regrets buying a Kindle at all. And the 3G works well.

SlightButSteady fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 15, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Just make up a dummy address in the US and if the book you want isn't available in Australia then you switch to the dummy address and buy it.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Just make up a dummy address in the US and if the book you want isn't available in Australia then you switch to the dummy address and buy it.

If you do buy it, get in touch with the author/publisher to let them know that they could've lost a potential sale due to these stupid restrictions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ara posted:

If you're in a roaming area (for example, anywhere besides the US), it's unbearably slow for regular use with text sites, too. Just something to use in a pinch, usually. Anki is the only thing that I've found it really useful for.

Uh, that's not true at all.

http://client0.cellmaps.com/tabs.html#cellmaps_intl_tab This site shows the official coverage map. If there's dark purple it's 3G and faster, if it's light purple it's 2G so EDGE or GPRS and slower.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So wait...I can do this and not piss off Amazon and my credit card company? I can just use a US address generator like this one and not have CSIS looking to export me to the US? Or loose all my kindle books?

I'm in Canada and I just realized that Amazon.com won't let me buy ANY Charles Stross books for my Kindle. :(

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 16, 2011

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Unless you use a proxy this will only work for a month, then Amazon will cut you off until you send them proof you live in the US. You don't lose the books you've bought but you will have to change you address back to buy anything else.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

fishmech posted:

Uh, that's not true at all.

http://client0.cellmaps.com/tabs.html#cellmaps_intl_tab This site shows the official coverage map. If there's dark purple it's 3G and faster, if it's light purple it's 2G so EDGE or GPRS and slower.

Japan is entirely dark purple and I can confirm that it's pretty much slow as gently caress here, for example loading a wikipedia page would probably take 1-2 minutes.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
I really wish alot more publishers would make an effort to format and upload their older books (that is, not the classics) and throw them up for a couple bucks (ideally $1 though). I've been wanting to read some old pulp sci-fi books and I can only find them through used book sellers and, maybe its just me, but it feels like a waste buying a book when I got a perfectly good ereader I could use instead.

Come on guys, I want to give you money! I just want to read some books that weren't recently releases (at horribly marked up prices), try to meet me half way here.

Seems like Baen Books is really the only one interested in trying to get their entire catalog in digital online format.

edit: Is there a handy way of linking google book accounts to a barnes and nobles account? Going through stupid crap like the old Popular Mechanic archive and would love to just easily download it to my nook through wifi without having to sideload and all that.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I would buy old lovely horror novels from the late 70s to early 90s for a buck a pop no problem.

I think the main sticking point is that they'd have to renegotiate a contract for that kind of publishing and frankly some of the people that wrote that horrible poo poo are probably dead or in jail.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I don't think there's much profit in creating ebooks of stuff that 5 people will read.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Quantify! posted:

I don't think there's much profit in creating ebooks of stuff that 5 people will read.
Yeah, this is the sticking point. It's not super unusual for the publishers to have digital rights for older titles (or assume they do). The problem is that they're a lot harder to digitize. Current and recent books already exist in digital format -- that's how they're produced from the start. Older books were reproduced mechanically. To get them in digital form, after you track down and mutilate a print copy of the book, it has to be scanned and OCRed, then the OCR has to be corrected. This isn't cheap -- they should actually be charging more for these books! But they can't get away with that, and almost nobody would buy the books even if they were only a couple bucks. It's just not profitable at all.

That said, a couple bigger companies are definitely working hard on digitizing their backlist. But it's motivated less by "this will totally get us $weet ca$h" and more by "we want bragging rights for having the most books available." Even with older titles, they're still prioritizing by popularity. This won't change until OCR gets a lot more accurate or until half of India attains native-level fluency in English.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Quantify! posted:

Oddly enough, that is how a lot of people are making their money. Granted, its all through the self publishing side.

quote:

Instead, they are built using something known as Private Label Rights, or PLR content, which is information that can be bought very cheaply online then reformatted into a digital book.

These e-books are listed for sale — often at 99 cents — alongside more traditional books on Amazon's website, forcing readers to plow through many more titles to find what they want. Aspiring spammers can even buy a DVD box set called Autopilot Kindle Cash that claims to teach people how to publish 10 to 20 new Kindle books a day without writing a word.

This new phenomenon represents the dark side of an online revolution that's turning the traditional publishing industry on its head by giving authors new ways to access readers directly.

In 2010, almost 2.8 million nontraditional books, including e-books, were published in the United States, while just more than 316,000 traditional books came out. That compares with 1.33 million nontraditional books and 302,000 conventional books in 2009, said Albert Greco, a publishing industry expert at Fordham University's business school.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/16/business/la-fi-kindle-spam-20110616

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, this is the sticking point. It's not super unusual for the publishers to have digital rights for older titles (or assume they do). The problem is that they're a lot harder to digitize. Current and recent books already exist in digital format -- that's how they're produced from the start. Older books were reproduced mechanically. To get them in digital form, after you track down and mutilate a print copy of the book, it has to be scanned and OCRed, then the OCR has to be corrected. This isn't cheap -- they should actually be charging more for these books! But they can't get away with that, and almost nobody would buy the books even if they were only a couple bucks. It's just not profitable at all.

That said, a couple bigger companies are definitely working hard on digitizing their backlist. But it's motivated less by "this will totally get us $weet ca$h" and more by "we want bragging rights for having the most books available." Even with older titles, they're still prioritizing by popularity. This won't change until OCR gets a lot more accurate or until half of India attains native-level fluency in English.

Why can't they just pay some guy to type it out for 10 bucks an hour?

• Locked thread