Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

1st AD posted:

ahahaha Rorion immediately gets wrist control.

Best part of the video right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
The fun matchups never materialize.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

OrangeCrush posted:

koral mkm, whats wrong with you!?

I suck and try to compensate with fashion statements.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I like how the lower belts tend to freak out and the higher belts tend to immediately counter, or at least instantly grab inside grips.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

The fun matchups never materialize.

Speaking of this, Jacare is scheduled to fight two weeks before his superfight with Braulio at ADCC so I think it's pretty likely he's going to be replaced at some point.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

Speaking of this, Jacare is scheduled to fight two weeks before his superfight with Braulio at ADCC so I think it's pretty likely he's going to be replaced at some point.

He said on Tatame that he still intends to do the superfight and doesn't think his mma fight beforehand will be a problem. Rockhold is primarily a ground guy himself so I don't know that he's likely to take a lot of punishment in the fight.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Thanks, I hadn't read that. Have you heard anything about ADCC's stance on this?If I was in charge I'd be pretty nervous about not having one of my superfight participants able to compete and only having two weeks to find a replacement.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

dokomoy posted:

Thanks, I hadn't read that. Have you heard anything about ADCC's stance on this?If I was in charge I'd be pretty nervous about not having one of my superfight participants able to compete and only having two weeks to find a replacement.

i don't know poo poo about poo poo but they probably consider it a necessary evil because they want the legendary jacare to come compete at their event. if they told him he had to cancel his other stuff in order to do the superfight it would be pretty much the same as telling him not to come.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

dokomoy posted:

I've thought if anything promotions holding fighters contracts would have reservations about their fighters competing in the ADCC.

I'm actually now curious which leads to more injuries.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
they only get hurt training, not competing

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

quote:

A Jiu-Jitsu and judo black belt, Paulo Filho is one of the athletes invited to participate at the 2011 ADCC this coming September in England. Coming off back-to-back losses in MMA, Paulão decided to take a break. Until a few days ago, no one, not even his family, knew his whereabouts. But according to an article on the Ururau website, from the town of Campos dos Goytacazes in the state of Rio de Janeiro, that’s where he is.

At the invitation of fighter Rodrigo Riscado, Paulão is getting into shape at a training center on a property surrounded by nature, animals, and – to his delight – pitbulls, as well, of course, as all the facilities needed to improve his physical conditioning and technique.

“I like animals, woods, kids, peace and quite, and that’s what I have here that’s doing me good,” said the fighter, who will become involved in a goodwill project to teach children martial arts in the region.

Filho as a role model to children couldn't possibly go poorly

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I don't want to sperg out about it, but the selections for ADCC are so freaking terrible.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
USA Judo is streaming the Miami World Cup. Stream starts at 6 PM EDT today and will also be going tommorow. Not sure if it'll be all day tommorow or just after 5 PM to get the finals.

http://judo.teamusa.org/live

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 1, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

Jacare posted:

No way I won’t be there, my opponent can expect me.

I don’t think the short break between fights is any hindrance. What may set me back is that I haven’t competed in Jiu-Jitsu or submission grappling in a long time, since my priority is MMA.

I’m getting ready for the title fight; then I’ll make some adjustments in the USA; I’ll do some training at Fabrício Werdum’s Jiu-Jitsu academy.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4er0IQ7RmQU

I just learned the best counter for a double leg takedown.

1: Have your partner do a terrible double leg takedown.

2: Turn sideways a bit.

3. Be 150 lbs heavier than your partner.

4. And that's all you need!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
mobn clearly got it wrong; don't let their weight pass under your hips, allow their weight to pass to the side!

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I don't know man, the Whizzer is a powerful anti-wrestling tool. The last season of TUF showed that.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Anyone got any advice on staying heavier when in mount and side control, because I'm against dudes a lot bigger I find sometimes they can pretty much throw me off even with solid hooks and technique. Against dudes my own size I maintain mount and side control pretty easily but the bigger guys seem to be able to power out a bit easier.

My grip is fine around the head and arms when in side and I keep my hips as low and tight as possible. I'm even able to transition to mount smoothly even when someone bear hugs me and throws me but against some of the really strong guys I can't seem to stay grounded. I'm talking like a 70-90 pound weight difference here.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Here's an idea for side control, at least!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RxgSaoK--E&feature=player_detailpage#t=200s

My advice for top mount is to tuck your feet tightly to the side of, almost underneath your opponent, and on heavier opponents I like to ride up underneath their arms for a very high top mount, where they can't really use their strenght to defend their arms, and they have a harder time moving me around with their hips.
Although personally, I've had more luck using a knee-on-belly approach on guys that are a lot bigger than me instead of trying to maintain a mount, atleast until I see a strong opening.

By riding high on the mount, I get a lot of armbars and mounted triangles, and the latter seems to work very well regardless of the size of your training partner.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

BlindSite posted:

Anyone got any advice on staying heavier when in mount and side control, because I'm against dudes a lot bigger I find sometimes they can pretty much throw me off even with solid hooks and technique. Against dudes my own size I maintain mount and side control pretty easily but the bigger guys seem to be able to power out a bit easier.

My grip is fine around the head and arms when in side and I keep my hips as low and tight as possible. I'm even able to transition to mount smoothly even when someone bear hugs me and throws me but against some of the really strong guys I can't seem to stay grounded. I'm talking like a 70-90 pound weight difference here.
The biggest thing is probably thinking about trying to stay mobile, rather than trying to think about holding them in place. I'm sure you've generally learned that every move has a counter - the same is true of positional battles. The smaller opponent will almost always have the speed advantage, so you need to use that.

However, it really depends on what you mean by 'muscle' out of moves, and the manner in which they are trying to do so. Are they bench pressing you out of side control, or are they beating you to an underhook and heisting? Similarly with mount, are they bench pressing you, Umpa, or hip escaping?

Side control bench press - secure your far side underhook and pop up to knee on belly. Should create enough space for you to be able to just ride them, always try and fall back into your far side underhook for control. If they keep arms outstretched, should be an easy pass in to mount.

Bench press from mount - mounted/swing armbar. Either that, try and change the angle they're pushing, let em start to roll you over, then take their back. like I said, it really kinda depends on what move they're doing.

Don't think about 'how do i hold them here?' Think about, 'where can I move to beat them to the next and or better position?'. Holding someone in place doesn't do you any good, but continuing to move and advance towards better position always will.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4er0IQ7RmQU

I just learned the best counter for a double leg takedown.

1: Have your partner do a terrible double leg takedown.

2: Turn sideways a bit.

3. Be 150 lbs heavier than your partner.

4. And that's all you need!

I just buzzed through this with no sound, that wizzer throws a cool move and not too tough to add into your repertoire.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
It might be cool but it won't work. Unless the person doing the double leg is the Jujitsu 101 youtube guy.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

Here's an idea for side control, at least!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RxgSaoK--E&feature=player_detailpage#t=200s

My advice for top mount is to tuck your feet tightly to the side of, almost underneath your opponent, and on heavier opponents I like to ride up underneath their arms for a very high top mount, where they can't really use their strenght to defend their arms, and they have a harder time moving me around with their hips.
Although personally, I've had more luck using a knee-on-belly approach on guys that are a lot bigger than me instead of trying to maintain a mount, atleast until I see a strong opening.

By riding high on the mount, I get a lot of armbars and mounted triangles, and the latter seems to work very well regardless of the size of your training partner.

I'll try this tonight, sounds like it'll work.

imtheism posted:

The biggest thing is probably thinking about trying to stay mobile, rather than trying to think about holding them in place. I'm sure you've generally learned that every move has a counter - the same is true of positional battles. The smaller opponent will almost always have the speed advantage, so you need to use that.

However, it really depends on what you mean by 'muscle' out of moves, and the manner in which they are trying to do so. Are they bench pressing you out of side control, or are they beating you to an underhook and heisting? Similarly with mount, are they bench pressing you, Umpa, or hip escaping?

Side control bench press - secure your far side underhook and pop up to knee on belly. Should create enough space for you to be able to just ride them, always try and fall back into your far side underhook for control. If they keep arms outstretched, should be an easy pass in to mount.

Bench press from mount - mounted/swing armbar. Either that, try and change the angle they're pushing, let em start to roll you over, then take their back. like I said, it really kinda depends on what move they're doing.

Don't think about 'how do i hold them here?' Think about, 'where can I move to beat them to the next and or better position?'. Holding someone in place doesn't do you any good, but continuing to move and advance towards better position always will.

I almost never get beaten to the underhook and when I do I fight like my life depends on it to get it back and usually do.

It's more like you said a bench press type movement or more just a general power lift. I'll try snatching submissions more I guess I've been trying to focus more on positioning and control rather than attacking limbs constantly.

thanks for the advice I'll give it a crack tonight at training.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I almost never get beaten to the underhook and when I do I fight like my life depends on it to get it back and usually do.

It's more like you said a bench press type movement or more just a general power lift.

If they're bench-pressing you straight up and using the space to recompose guard, switch to knee-on-belly as soon as your hips lift.

If they're bench-pressing you and flipping you over, don't clasp your hands together so you can post with your underhooking hand.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sounds good with the posting thing, when I'm fighting for underhooks I'll usually try to grape vine to stop them from using their hips till my arms are better secured. Should I keep that up or rather try to get higher in my mount earlier.

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

imtheism posted:

This is the best advice.

By being active and switching your hips/base you can use the driving force of your knee to collect an an arm and set up either a really strong north/south transition, knee on belly, or full mount transition. Always be mindful of the closer arm for a potential arm bar or arm triangle , the far arm for keylock or kimura and the neck for gi chokes.

People will struggle to find answers if you bombard them with transition after transition. You don't need to force anything, use what they give you.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

delljit posted:

This is the best advice.

By being active and switching your hips/base you can use the driving force of your knee to collect an an arm and set up either a really strong north/south transition, knee on belly, or full mount transition. Always be mindful of the closer arm for a potential arm bar or arm triangle , the far arm for keylock or kimura and the neck for gi chokes.

People will struggle to find answers if you bombard them with transition after transition. You don't need to force anything, use what they give you.

I found this worked pretty well, from side using my weight on their shoulder rather than chest made it a lot harder for them to move me and put me in position for an easier transition to mount.

Still got thrown off once when I got lazy shifting up higher on their chest in full mount, instead of sliding up I sort of shuffled which was just down to incompetence and laziness, but threatening with an arm bar in mount and far side kimuras in side control distracted them so I could shift my base and tighten my hold. Good fun. Got tooled by a blue belt later but the other dudes at my level struggled to find an answer for the most part.

The only time I failed big time was when I was against this massive bear of a man who's got a background in wrestling (rare as gently caress in aus) when I tried posting with my underhooked arm like FD suggested I got thrown anyway, dude was just too strong. Transitioning to N/S and back to side and knee on belly over and over put a stop to that, but it got pretty tiring quickly.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Hmm, JT Torres and Jimmy Harbison are dropping by my gym next friday to run a seminar. All I know about them is that Harbison went on some ridiculous run this year at the Brown Belt level and was recently promoted to BB, and JT Torres is supposed to be really really good and got his BB really really fast.

Is there anyone here more familiar with the type of game they usually play and what I can probably expect to learn from the two of them?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I haven't seen much of Harbison, but I'm a big fan of JT. JT is strong from almost every position he's got really good guard passing(mostly leg drag stuff, but a strong knee cut pass as well), on the bottom he plays mostly open guard especially de la riva and his closed guard game is excellent as well. He finishes most of his matches with chokes from the back.

edit: JT is in fact really really good he finished 3d at this years worlds and since he's gotten his black belt the only guys who've beaten him are super high level competitors(almost all of his losses are to Durinho, Lepri, and Langhi and he has wins over Durinho and Lepri among others)

dokomoy fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 7, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

What dokomoy said. JT is really loving good. Really nice guy too so you'll definitely learn a lot if you ask.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fawker posted:

Hmm, JT Torres and Jimmy Harbison are dropping by my gym next friday to run a seminar. All I know about them is that Harbison went on some ridiculous run this year at the Brown Belt level and was recently promoted to BB, and JT Torres is supposed to be really really good and got his BB really really fast.

Is there anyone here more familiar with the type of game they usually play and what I can probably expect to learn from the two of them?

Harbison took out Nate Diaz in the worlds with a bow-and-arrow choke from the back; he looked very slick but I haven't seen enough of him to say much about his overall game.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

quote:

Davi Ramos saw action at last weekend’s Grapplers Quest in Las Vegas. Although he didn’t win the absolute, Davi was one of the big standouts, winning his weight group and coming up with some big finishes over some big names.

“I ended up losing the absolute in a controversial match. Unfortunately the outcome wasn’t what I had hoped for. But in making it to the final I tapped out Jeff Monson in the quarterfinal and in the semifinal caught João Assis with a footlock in just 40 seconds,” said the joyous black belt, who commented on the mistake in the open weight final.

Unless I missed something last year this is the first time Monson's been tapped in competition in nearly a decade, I think. The last time I remember was Xande armlocking him at the GQ US Nationals in 2002.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
how do you tap that which has no limbs or neck?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Xguard86 posted:

ask pe de pano

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Xguard86 posted:

Seriously, it's too bad his jits aren't a little more slick, cuz you can't get a better body for grappling than that monster.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
not sure what you mean by that considering his multiple trophies (jeff monson is really good)

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
he's really bad at mma

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
that's pretty cool and should be used on the inevitable psp offsite after caff threatens to :cthulhu:assassinate president obama:cthulhu: with a twister for not being tough on white people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar
Here's a pretty awesome video of Marcelo Garcia rolling with Ryan Hall in a Gi.

http://www.lapelchoke.com/marcelo-garcia-rolls-gi-with-ryan-hall/