Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

stubblyhead posted:

Is there a new car buying megathread anywhere? I looked around in AI and BFC but nothing really jumped out at me.

Sorta. There's this:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538
There's advice for buying a new car and when it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

nesbit37 posted:

I have black and white pdfs of 4, 250-500 page books that were printed in the mid to late nineteenth century(no copyright issues). What is the cheapest way to get these printed so I can annotate them and make translation notes? I am not a university student, and I don't want to print them at work. I checked kinkos/fedex and its about $50 for the smallest one in black and white, double sided on their cheapest 8.5x11 paper with no binding.

There's probably something online that will do it although shipping on 1k pages might be pretty steep.

Would editing it in pdf format be possible?

If not, why not invest in a laserjet? You can get into them for ~150-200$ and be in the 1000-2000 page (B&W) range, then it's just paper costs. You have your papers and a nice printer to go with it.

E: (double sided will add to the initial investment but reduce the paper costs)

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Can someone recommend a good computer chair that wont allow slouching? If I'm sitting at my desk for a while I'd like to keep a good posture at all times, if its smaller than a regular desk chair that'd be nice too.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Drevoak posted:

Can someone recommend a good computer chair that wont allow slouching? If I'm sitting at my desk for a while I'd like to keep a good posture at all times, if its smaller than a regular desk chair that'd be nice too.
A guy at work uses one of those zany knee chairs and I think he'll fall on his face if he slouches. I hate it; some people like them.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Drevoak posted:

Look for something where the seat is tilted back and down pretty steeply and then has a bit of lumbar support (a bump in the lower back area). There's probably a name for them but I got one recently and after trying to slouch and almost having to "plank" myself I started to enjoy the back support.

They're expensive.

Kind of like this but I am sure you can find one like it used or for cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/Aeron-Chair-Full-Featured-Lumbar-Support/dp/B00023SWXC

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Sizzlechest posted:

You should believe whomever provides repeatable and verifiable scientific evidence to back up their hypothesis.

I have a friend who is a gypsy. He became very ill and his doctor prescribed him an antibiotic to fight the infection. His parents moved the furniture around in his apartment, which is their tradition when people get sick. He got better. Do you think this is evidence that moving furniture around when you're sick makes you healther?

Your friend made a lot of changes in his diet that resulted in better cholesterol numbers. Was it the lack of saturated fat and dietary cholesterol? Was it the extra fiber? Was it the reduction in high glycemic carbohydrates? Was it an increase in protein? Was it due to fish oil supplements? All of the above? None of the above? Some? A combination?

To answer the question, it takes a lot of painstaking research to identify a cause in absence of confounding issues. Unfortunately, this rarely occurs.

There are lots of factors that affect serum cholesterol. Triglicerides are mostly affected by dietary carbohydrates (negatively). Fats improve HDLs and LDLs. Yes, saturated fat increases total LDLs, but it increases the benign LDL and decreaes the harmful LDLs.

The AHA says saturated fats are bad for cholesterol. Are they wrong?
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/FatsAndOils/Fats101/Saturated-Fats_UCM_301110_Article.jsp

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Question: do U.S. state unemployment benefits apply if you leave the state you're getting the benefit from? Long story short, I got a layoff notice effective the beginning of August. An interstate move is well within the realm of possibilities at this current juncture. I've never been in this situation so I'm a bit clueless as far as unemployment goes.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

OneEightHundred posted:

Spotted a huge wasp (2 inches long or so) that I'm just about positive was one of these, going off the marking pattern and eye color, but I can't seem to match that marking pattern with any actual species and that image was only tagged as "wasp".

This is in North Carolina. Anyone know what it might be?

Was it a Cicada Killer? They have similar markings and can be up to 2 inches long.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
Goony as poo poo question: Does anyone know a good product, site, etc.. for learning to read Japanese? I'm looking to learn all three systems (kanji,katakana,hiragana) since apparently all three are used together in modern writing.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Eat This Glob posted:

Question: do U.S. state unemployment benefits apply if you leave the state you're getting the benefit from? Long story short, I got a layoff notice effective the beginning of August. An interstate move is well within the realm of possibilities at this current juncture. I've never been in this situation so I'm a bit clueless as far as unemployment goes.

Short and sweet:

Call them up, they aren't a business, they will tell you how it works. (it varies from state to state)

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

whats a good way to see my credit report?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

wigtrade.cc posted:

whats a good way to see my credit report?

AnnualCreditReport.com is the government-approved non-scammy way to get it. You can request your credit report once every twelve months from each of the three bureaus, meaning that you can check it three times a year (once from Experian, once from Transunion, & once from Equifax.). You won't see your credit "score" but you will be able to see your history and check for accounts that aren't yours.

Don't use any other website. There are an appalling number of sites that try to scam you into thinking you have to pay, or you have to sign up for some sort of membership.

Also, use capitalization and punctuation please. I'M WATCHING YOU. :cop:

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

saberwulf posted:

Goony as poo poo question: Does anyone know a good product, site, etc.. for learning to read Japanese? I'm looking to learn all three systems (kanji,katakana,hiragana) since apparently all three are used together in modern writing.

There are language threads in SAP of D&D. Here is the Japanese one:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2472197

I dipped my toe in the water a few years ago. I would still do it, but it would have to be my only hobby for at least a year, and I'm not ready to make that commitment.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

b0nes posted:

The AHA says saturated fats are bad for cholesterol. Are they wrong?
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/FatsAndOils/Fats101/Saturated-Fats_UCM_301110_Article.jsp

Yes, they are wrong. The AHA recommendations are even stricter than the USDA guidelines, and those are demonstrably wrong:

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/PIIS0899900710002893/fulltext

Sizzlechest fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 14, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

saberwulf posted:

Flashcards and repetition. There is no "learn these in 30 days" system, really.

You can sit down and learn all of the kana in a week if you're determined; it's not that hard. Make flashcards, use them while you walk, crap, and sit around waiting for things. Kanji are much harder and you can't really learn them in isolation like you can kana.

Get a good textbook, like the Genki I textbook by The Japan Times.

There's also an old program called Kanapro floating around; it shows stroke order and also works as a quiz program.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is it true that checking your credit score too often will lower it?

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

Backtalk posted:

Unfortunately I'm on a notebook. No 10-key. Your suggestion gave me the idea to try variations on enter (shift+enter, option+enter, etc.) but still no luck.
Ctrl+Enter seems to work for me too. Not sure what would be on a Mac.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I posted this question on the last page but I guess nobody saw it?
Is there somewhere on SA I can post about an apartment I need to sublease? If not does anyone have any suggestions besides craigslist?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I am looking to move from the conventional wallet to something like the Flipside or Dosh, mainly because my cards get bent and/or broken all the time and I get tired of replacing them. I don't usually carry very many bills, either, so something like the aforementioned products would be perfect.

Has anybody use either of them or something similar?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

ZeeBoi posted:

No, but now I really want a Dosh too. Thanks.

Just need somewhere to put my coins...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ZeeBoi posted:

I am looking to move from the conventional wallet to something like the Flipside or Dosh, mainly because my cards get bent and/or broken all the time and I get tired of replacing them. I don't usually carry very many bills, either, so something like the aforementioned products would be perfect.

I've been using a cigarette case for years, and it's nice because it's thin and holds all my poo poo easily. My few complaints (doesn't close well, no organization, a bit too wide) seem to be solved by the Flipside and now I'm considering switching to that. I'd look at the Dosh but it wants Flash and I'm too lazy to get it working on Linux.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 14, 2011

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

ZeeBoi posted:

My boyfriend uses the ACM Wallet and he really likes it. He's also got the leather case for it which has a pouch on the back for notes, and then he just puts his coins in his pocket.

You can change the buttons so they match your cards (Visa, MasterCard, gas card etc) and it keeps your cards pristine and easy to get out. I think it's a good idea :)

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Look for something where the seat is tilted back and down pretty steeply and then has a bit of lumbar support (a bump in the lower back area). There's probably a name for them but I got one recently and after trying to slouch and almost having to "plank" myself I started to enjoy the back support.

They're expensive.

Kind of like this but I am sure you can find one like it used or for cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/Aeron-Chair-Full-Featured-Lumbar-Support/dp/B00023SWXC

I got a chair like this from OfficeMax for ~$150, and it worked wonders for my posture while at my desk.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Buggiezor posted:

Is there somewhere on SA I can post about an apartment I need to sublease? If not does anyone have any suggestions besides craigslist?

SA-Mart?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Buggiezor posted:

Post it in the LAN: Your City Sucks - Regional Discussion thread for your region.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

change my name posted:

Is it true that checking your credit score too often will lower it?
A "hard check" like when applying for a credit cad or mortgage can, but a "soft check" like you checking your free credit report won't. Unless you're a lender of some kind you can only do a soft check yourself.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

randyest posted:

A "hard check" like when applying for a credit cad or mortgage can, but a "soft check" like you checking your free credit report won't. Unless you're a lender of some kind you can only do a soft check yourself.

However, it should be noted that users can essentially lower their credit scores by performing activities that result in too many hard checks in a short period of time, e.g. applying to a bunch of credit cards.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
Would steroids work on animals the same way they do on humans? If you took a polar bear and gave it regular injections of steroids over the year, would you get some kind of super strong bear with an [even shorter] temper?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

So I have become untrustworthy of my current dentist due to discomforts felt after getting a filling that persist months after the procedure, are there any resources for getting recommendations on a medical professional or is the phone book the only option?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

ManicParroT posted:

Would steroids work on animals the same way they do on humans? If you took a polar bear and gave it regular injections of steroids over the year, would you get some kind of super strong bear with an [even shorter] temper?

Yep. I've done this with a Koala and he just ate the neighbour's Rottweiler.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Steroids were banned from horse racing a few years ago, I think. They definitely were used before that at least to some extent. I would infer from that that steroids affect at least one other species besides human.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think the way it works is that you can't just inject a horse with human steroids, but most animals have hormones that perform the same function so you can make and use steroids specifically for them if you must.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I'm trying to number paragraphs in Word 2007 with a list style. My document is set up like this:

SECTION HEADER (using the header style)
Paragraph
Paragraph
Paragraph

The paragraphs are using the normal styles. For some reason, though, when I go to apply the list style, the last paragraphs in some sections are completely unaffected. What's going on here?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Can someone point me to a chart or graphic of a comprehensive list of polo shirt emblems and their designers/manufacturers? Every Google search I tried keeps bringing me to those "custom polo shirt logos for your small business" websites.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

I think the way it works is that you can't just inject a horse with human steroids, but most animals have hormones that perform the same function so you can make and use steroids specifically for them if you must.

Steroids are almost all simple molecular variations on testosterone, which is a relatively simple molecule that will be active in pretty much all animals with androgenic receptors.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone point me to the identity of a certain actress?

It seems like she acted in a film noir opposite Humphrey Bogart, but that may be totally wrong.

I have her image from a music video by Lana Del Rey, "Kinda Outta Luck". The URL is pointed to when she appears in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gg8pZYjCTM&feature=player_detailpage#t=155s

Even if you don't know the answer, you should definitely check her out!

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

brylcreem posted:

Can someone point me to the identity of a certain actress?

It seems like she acted in a film noir opposite Humphrey Bogart, but that may be totally wrong.

I have her image from a music video by Lana Del Rey, "Kinda Outta Luck". The URL is pointed to when she appears in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gg8pZYjCTM&feature=player_detailpage#t=155s

Even if you don't know the answer, you should definitely check her out!

Looks like Lauren Bacall, but it's been years since I went through my noire phase.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Definitely Bacall

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Maybe this is more of a question for TBB, but the relevant thread scares me so I'll ask it here.

Is the latest entry in A Song of Ice and Fire any good?

I'd heard good things about the series, but also that apparently the author was a flake and the series would be eternally unfinished so I never bothered to start. Now that he seems to be writing again, I figure I might as well start reading them as long as the return from hiatus isn't an Indiana Jones IV style collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Odd question, I'm looking to be able to purchase more pairs of these,

Front

Back

They're no-brand, low-quality shades, the pattern is 90% see-through. I can't seem to find them with any combination of Google results. Any Goon-Master have an idea where I could buy these online?

(Note: I purchased them in a concession stand in upstate New York, however I'm now in California.)