Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aswert1223
Dec 6, 2004

The Ultimate Dripping Machine
Toured Kennedy Space Center yesterday. Not jets, but I think OP would approve...

SSME - Space Shuttle Main Engine
375,000 lbs thrust:quagmire:

F-1 Engine - Saturn V 1st Stage
1,500,000 lbs thrust:whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

aswert1223 posted:

Toured Kennedy Space Center yesterday. Not jets, but I think OP would approve...

Awesome pictures! What has always amazed me about rocket engines is their incredible thrust compared to their (relative) small size.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Previa_fun posted:

Awesome pictures! What has always amazed me about rocket engines is their incredible thrust compared to their (relative) small size.

It's because there's nothing to them. In the Space Shuttle Maim Engines, two small turboshaft engines drive the fuel and oxidizer pumps, and there's a combustion chamber that most of the fuel and oxidizer are pumped to. Just the two rotating shafts for the pumps, no reciprocating parts like a car engine, and no big fan to decrease the jet velocity like an airplane engine. The downside is you need to carry both inputs to the reaction, and they're terribly inefficient in atmosphere.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BonzoESC posted:

Space Shuttle Maim Engines

Every spaceship should have maim engines. :black101:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Especially the Viking mission.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

BonzoESC posted:

It's because there's nothing to them. In the Space Shuttle Maim Engines, two small turboshaft engines drive the fuel and oxidizer pumps, and there's a combustion chamber that most of the fuel and oxidizer are pumped to. Just the two rotating shafts for the pumps, no reciprocating parts like a car engine, and no big fan to decrease the jet velocity like an airplane engine. The downside is you need to carry both inputs to the reaction, and they're terribly inefficient in atmosphere.

Simple as they sound, they're wildly complex. Once your cross from pressurized tanks to turbopumps things for from "tough" to "insanely hard" to get right. The pumps are high energy. You're pumping O2 with a rocket motor that's turning the pump to move it.

Turbopump equipped motors have a tendency to eat themselves.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nerobro posted:

Simple as they sound, they're wildly complex. Once your cross from pressurized tanks to turbopumps things for from "tough" to "insanely hard" to get right. The pumps are high energy. You're pumping O2 with a rocket motor that's turning the pump to move it.

Turbopump equipped motors have a tendency to eat themselves.

Yeah, they're built and operated very precisely, but still conceptually simple in construction.

http://www.enginehistory.org/SSME/SSME3.pdf is a pretty good document about what has to be done to start one.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The basics of those turbopump engines were developed by the Nazi super-science, too. Their atmosphere-skimming antipodal bomber used a turbopump-rocket setup.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

AnimalChin posted:

what the fuuuuuuuuuuuck :psyduck:

MiG-23 not good enough?

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

MiG-23 not good enough?

Nope

Also, completely unrelated to that, here is a video one of our hangar tenants showed us at work today starring him and his MX2. It's kinda neat, then it goes off the deep end around the four minute mark. It's the first film from that production company AFAIK. There's a P-51D based here as well that they are going to try and film, if that ever happens I'll probably post it too.

Forum Hussy fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 7, 2011

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From the Horrible Mechanical Failures thread:

Plinkey posted:

Here is what happens when a hangar get hit by lightning and it manages to set off the foam system while the hanger is full of planes.

You just know there was at least one poor bastard in there when it happened.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Gorilla Salad posted:

That's make me go :gonk:. Not because of the foam itself, but because it instantly brings to mind the dissolving bubble weapon Thrush had in The Man From Uncle.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Luckily, you'd be perfectly fine even if you stood right in the middle of it.

Anther post in the Failures thread brought up a similar incident at Ellsowth AFB where a test of the foam spray went a bit haywire when they were unable to turn it off and a massive hanger was filled with foam to the rafters.

The dozen or so airmen inside the hanger taking measurements and phots were perfectly okay.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Someone posted a link a while back for a bunch of really awesome modern art featuring warbirds like the P-40, it was incredibly stylized and utterly badass. Does anyone have the link, I cannot find it.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
The world's only airborne fish strike?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Boomerjinks posted:

Someone posted a link a while back for a bunch of really awesome modern art featuring warbirds like the P-40, it was incredibly stylized and utterly badass. Does anyone have the link, I cannot find it.

You're probably thinking of this etsy shop.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

We almost had a dog strike a few weeks ago.

Argentic
Apr 21, 2007

I visited Wings Over the Rockies recently and took some pictures I thought this thread might want to see. These pictures have been resized, the full-sized ones are here. There are more pictures there, but I posted the best one of each plane.

B-52B out in front of the museum.

A-7D Corsair II.

Cockpit of the Corsair II. You could actually get in it.

F-4E Phantom II. You could get in this one too.

A couple pictures of the plane's history, stenciled on the side of the fuselage.

B-57 Canberra. I'd never even heard of the Canberra until it came up in this thread, so it was cool to get a picture of it for you guys.

B-18 Bolo. One of the older planes there, most of the stuff they have is post WWII.

B-1A Lancer.

A variety of nuclear bombs under the belly of the Lancer.

Some kind of cruise missile, I think?

F-111 Aardvark.

F-104 Starfighter. Compared to the other fighters, it seems incredibly tiny, with really stubby wings.

F-14A Tomcat.

T-33A T-Bird.

F-105D Thunderchief. Bad picture, but it's the only one I took.

F-100D Super Sabre.

F-102A Delta Dagger.

F-86H Sabre.

All the planes have had their engines removed, which means you can see right through the Sabre.

They also had a bunch of artwork depicting various Colorado Air National Guard fighters.

Argentic fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 31, 2011

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

From the Horrible Mechanical Failures thread:

Oh yeah, there were defiantly people in there. I wasn't around when it happened but you can see the one guy on the right of the picture that is covered in foam about up to his waist. I didn't really get to see the aftermath either other than those pictures that went around.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Argentic posted:

I visited Wings Over the Rockies recently and took some pictures I thought this thread might want to see. The whole gallery is here, I'll try to post the best of each plane.

the [timg] tag just makes it scale the picture, it doesn't actually reduce the size. They look small, but that's still 11 megs of images. What I'm saying, is you're crushing peoples browsers and their internet connections.

Nice pictures. Post the small versions.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Y'all might want to take a look at the Oshkosh promo video, if you are making plans for the next couple weeks. It is more fun than this video makes it look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J86NG-c7JwA&feature=player_embedded

So, yeah, a lot of fun.

Argentic
Apr 21, 2007

Nerobro posted:

the [timg] tag just makes it scale the picture, it doesn't actually reduce the size. They look small, but that's still 11 megs of images. What I'm saying, is you're crushing peoples browsers and their internet connections.

Nice pictures. Post the small versions.

poo poo, I didn't realize. Fixing that now.

EDIT: Okay, fixed. Went from 2816x2112 to 640x480.

Argentic fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 11, 2011

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

We rear-ended a goose once in a Cessna 210. At 12K.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

tactlessbastard posted:

We rear-ended a goose once in a Cessna 210. At 12K.

Not a fan of geese.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Godholio posted:

Ever had a coyote strike? Yeah, that happened a couple weeks ago to one of our Archers. They kind of blend in with concrete runways :ninja:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Godholio posted:

Not a fan of geese.

Ah, CVR transcripts - enough to put you off commercial flying. :cry:

http://www.tailstrike.com/050770.htm

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Argentic posted:

F-104 Starfighter. Compared to the other fighters, it seems incredibly tiny, with really stubby wings.

It has insanely high wing-loading, on the order of 514 kg/m^2. For comparison, the Eurofighter is 311 kg/m^2 and the 747 is 740 kg/m^2.

In other news, number of Tomcats in the world may have dropped by one more:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
At first I thought there was an R2 unit in the back of that F-14.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Slo-Tek posted:

Y'all might want to take a look at the Oshkosh promo video, if you are making plans for the next couple weeks. It is more fun than this video makes it look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J86NG-c7JwA&feature=player_embedded

So, yeah, a lot of fun.
I remember going to that event probably over 20 years ago. Being able to see an SR-71 parked on the runway may have been the second coolest airplane event of my childhood. Second only to speaking with a pilot about his F-14 Tomcat as he gave me an overview of the plane, also at Oshkosh. Even though I was too small to see much of the airshow itself, it was an amazing day.

Seriously, check the show out if you're even slightly inclined :3:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

At first I thought there was an R2 unit in the back of that F-14.

Heh, they kept running out of RIOs so they just started using astromech droids instead!

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Argentic posted:

Some kind of cruise missile, I think?

That's a CALCM, either an AGM-86C or -D. Can't tell the difference based on shape alone because there are no external differences between the -C and -D models, just the standard blast/frag warhead with the -C and a penetrator warhead on the -D. That's how it looks in its stowage configuration, as it is loaded on the B-52 pylons. Once it's launched, wings snap out and the tail surfaces flip down.

You can also see a B61 nuclear bomb shape in the left side of the picture.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
My great-uncle was an engineer at Martin during the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Here are a couple of his projects:

Martin XB-51 bomber:

Three GE jet engines, 10,000 pounds of bombs, and 8 20mm cannon. The XB-51 was almost as fast as an F-86 and faster than an F-84. The prototypes ran away from their chase planes on a couple occasions. The XB-51 pioneered the rotating bomb bay door. Instead of conventional doors that extended into the slipstream and caused drag, the bombs were mounted to the inside surface of the door. The door simply rotated on its axis and the weapons were exposed and ready to deploy.

The XB-51 lost out to the English Electric Canberra in USAF trials. Despite having fantastic low-level performance, the XB-51 was lacking in range and endurance. Both prototypes were eventually lost in crashes.

Martin XP6M SeaMaster:

The SeaMaster would have been the USN's nuclear delivery vehicle until the Polaris missile became available. It had the same rotating bomb bay door as the XB-51. The SeaMaster was a victim of budget cuts and a giant temper tantrum by SAC and the USAF (who pitched a fit when they learned that the P6M was nuclear-capable).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

PhotoKirk posted:

Martin XP6M SeaMaster:

The SeaMaster would have been the USN's nuclear delivery vehicle until the Polaris missile became available. It had the same rotating bomb bay door as the XB-51. The SeaMaster was a victim of budget cuts and a giant temper tantrum by SAC and the USAF (who pitched a fit when they learned that the P6M was nuclear-capable).

I read somewhere that the plan for the seamaster was to hide them at little coral atolls and stuff with submarine seaplane tenders, constantly flying around from hidden bay to hidden bay. What a fuckin' assignment that would have been. Flying around in a seaplane with nukes, hanging out in coral atolls.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

PhotoKirk posted:

Martin XP6M SeaMaster:

If you get a chance to dig around the family archives for any seamaster stuff, put it up. I love that airplane. I also had a family friend who was a test engineer on that program. Not quite a good enough family friend that I could go rooting through his goodie-chest when he died though...

Would have loved to get copies of some of the pictures on his office walls.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I could easily watch a full non-edited work day at the Merlin factory.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0b2_1310169635

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I've always had a soft spot for Naval aviation. My grandfather got to ride in a PBY Catalina from Kwajalein to Hawaii right after WWII, and the A-6 is a personal favorite from my model airplane days. Getting all those beautiful curves just right was a lot of fun.

The Navy had a lot of crazy concepts that never really went into full scale production or have seen a modern analogue. Like the Sea Dart. They even thought about launching these supersonic hydro-skis from submarines:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Beep beep, 767 coming through!

quote:

BOSTON -- The crash between two airliners on a taxiway at Boston's Logan International Airport was upgraded from an "incident" to an "accident" on Friday by federal investigators, prompting the involvement of the National Transportation Safety Board.

One person was taken to a hospital after the wing of a large moving passenger jet clipped the tail of a smaller aircraft in front of it at about 7:30 p.m. Thursday.

"An incident is considered an accident when there is a loss of life or severe damage, and in this case at least one plane suffered severe damage," NTSB spokesman Peter Knudson said.

Both planes were taken out of service with visible damage. The wing tip of the larger aircraft was bent while the smaller jet's tail was crumpled and bent.

The Federal Aviation Administration will assist the NTSB on the investigation, FAA spokesman Jim Peters said.

Investigators will review recordings of the flight data and cockpit recorders in both jets, as well as recordings of air traffic control conversations and ground radar. They also will interview crew members on both planes, review weather at the time of the accident and conduct physical inspections of both aircraft, Peters said.

The probe could also include drug and alcohol testing, he said.

The NTSB is expected to issue a preliminary report within 10 days, Knudson said, which would not necessarily point to a cause.

The wing of Delta Flight 266, a Boeing 767 headed to Amsterdam, clipped the tail of Atlantic Southeast Airlines Flight 4904, departing for Raleigh-Durham, at about 7:30 p.m., Delta spokesman Trebor Banstetter said. ASA provides regional air service for Atlanta-based Delta.

There were 204 passengers and 11 crew members on the larger plane, 74 passengers and three crew members on the smaller craft.

The Delta jet returned to the gate and ASA passengers were transported by bus to the terminal. Some passengers were rebooked on other flights, while some had to spend the night in Boston.

Passengers said they were jolted, but there was little panic.

Although there was some reports of screaming and crying, the pilots and most passengers remained calm.

In a recording of air traffic control communications, the pilot of the 767 says, "I think we hit the RJ (regional jet) off of our left wing."

"Did he hit you with his tail, his wing?" the air traffic controller asks.

The pilot of the smaller aircraft replies: "Absolutely he did."

One woman was taken to a Boston hospital after complaining of neck pain, said airport spokesman Phil Orlandella.

Jay Copan, 59, of Raleigh, N.C. was on the smaller plane, half asleep, when he was woken by the impact.

"It woke me up. It wasn't that strong, but it was odd. Some people thought we'd run off the runway," he told the Boston Herald.

"The whole plane shook and some people started screaming," Kristian Bille, 46, of Denmark who was on the larger plane, told The Boston Globe.

Contact between airliners on taxiways and runways is rare, said Kevin Hiatt, a pilot and the executive vice president of the Flight Safety Foundation, an independent airline safety advocacy organization.

"Two airplanes coming in contact in this manner on a taxiway is not a real common occurrence," he said. "We see it more often on ramps, with what we call swapping paint."

The only other incident he could think of occurred at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York in April when the left wing of a massive Airbus A380 operated by Air France clipped a Bombardier CRJ-700 regional jet flown by Comair, spinning the smaller plane nearly 90 degrees. No one was injured.

The JFK incident, however, is markedly different from the one at Logan. The New York incident occurred in the ramp where departing and arriving aircraft are serviced by baggage handlers, catering workers, fuelling personnel and other ramp workers. The accident in Boston occurred on the taxiway, which is considered part of the airfield and is under the control of air traffic controllers.

"What needs to be visited by the FAA and the airports is markings and signage on the taxiways," he said.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Second time this year one of Delta's contract operators got clobbered by a bigger plane.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I didn't expect it to have cut almost completely through the tail, wow.

Edit: Also, the woman with neck pain. :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Rutan's final project is a Flying Car.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blog...mentId=blogDest