Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

So, I finally got a chance to download Unreal Gold today along with a bunch of other games I got during Steam's Summer Camp sale, (Deus Ex: GOTY and iD Super Pack included) and I'm really enjoying revisiting it. However, I noticed something odd. Earlier in the thread, somebody mentioned this, a DirectX 10 renderer for Unreal Gold and Deus Ex. The problem is that it apparently only works with Vista or higher. Being on XP, is there any imaginable way to get this to work? As it is, it doesn't crash as it says it should but instead seems to launch into software mode instead.
XP will never, ever, ever have support for DirectX 10 and up. Ever. Use the DX9 or OpenGL renderers instead. From a playing perspective, they have much the same effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

So, I finally got a chance to download Unreal Gold today along with a bunch of other games I got during Steam's Summer Camp sale, (Deus Ex: GOTY and iD Super Pack included) and I'm really enjoying revisiting it. However, I noticed something odd. Earlier in the thread, somebody mentioned this, a DirectX 10 renderer for Unreal Gold and Deus Ex. The problem is that it apparently only works with Vista or higher. Being on XP, is there any imaginable way to get this to work? As it is, it doesn't crash as it says it should but instead seems to launch into software mode instead.

The renderer source code is available, so if nothing else, would it be possible to compile a version to run in XP?

Can we get a game of Unreal Gold going sometime? I still love just enjoying the amazing maps in that loving game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It really cannot be understated how good Brutal Doom is. While it seems to initially hinge on the concept of XTREME ULTRAVIOLENCE, the balance changes are actually pretty great. The rifle replacing the pistol means you actually have to choose between it and the shotgun early on, and the minigun has its uses even when you have the plasma gun. Stealth-punching is great, the chainsaw is genuinely useful, etc etc. It's all pretty great actually.

Lots of nice little details, like the Spider Mastermind taking almost no damage if you shoot its legs, too.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

A year or so back, in an older FPS thread, I was introduced to a mod/addon for Doom which used a bit of actual jumping, big levels, lots of enemies, and so on. I can't remember the name, and I'm not sure I'm seeing it on the list in the OP. Shot in the dark...

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Chinook posted:

A year or so back, in an older FPS thread, I was introduced to a mod/addon for Doom which used a bit of actual jumping, big levels, lots of enemies, and so on. I can't remember the name, and I'm not sure I'm seeing it on the list in the OP. Shot in the dark...

There are hundreds of wads that fit that description. You have to give us something more than that.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The renderer source code is available, so if nothing else, would it be possible to compile a version to run in XP?

You might want to consider upgrading to Windows 7, it's pretty great.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'm currently playing through Wonderful Doom + Brutal Doom + Doom Soundtrack 2011. As far as making Doom feel new again and recreating that feeling you got the first time you played it goes, it is pretty much the best thing.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Chinook posted:

Perfect time to download GZDoom and go to town looking up WADS! I suggest starting off with The Ultimate Torment & Torture.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oh, sweet! A beta version of Unloved 2 has been released. Currently it only takes you up to the red key, apparently. Unloved was one of my favourite ZDoom campaigns in recent years.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

MrBims posted:

Perfect time to download GZDoom and go to town looking up WADS! I suggest starting off with The Ultimate Torment & Torture.

Will do, of course. :) Jumping in Doom is what confuses me. Does everything support it? Do many wads require it? How do you know? (Also, apparently it needs specially bound within GZDoom, right?)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eh, doesn't the game itself run fine in XP? Why do you want to run a DirectX 10 renderer for it when you probably don't have a DirectX 10 card and in an OS that will never support DirectX 10?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Whoa. Okay, Unloved 2 has amazing sound-work. That, and very clever level design. Just ten minutes in and I'm already looking over my shoulder and jumping at enemies that I've killed a thousand times already.

If you have a 5.1 system, use it. The music/ambience/whatever that is works excellently.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I've purchased all the '90s Doom games at least four times each in my life, and I don't have access to any of the physical discs. I bought the Doom collection on Steam just now (Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Master Levels for Doom II, and Doom 3 and expansion). I'm on a Mac, so I can't play them. I figured I'd at least be able to download the files so I could nab those WAD files so I could play the games in a source port, but no dice. Won't let me even download the data.

Does anyone know a workaround for this? I've bought the games enough times to pay for it for dozens of people at this point. Now all I want to do is play again. :(

edit: I thought I found an answer but I was wrong.

oversteps fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 14, 2011

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

fishmech posted:

Eh, doesn't the game itself run fine in XP? Why do you want to run a DirectX 10 renderer for it when you probably don't have a DirectX 10 card and in an OS that will never support DirectX 10?

My card DOES support DX10. I was not aware, however, that Windows XP doesn't support DX10. Guess that solves that mystery!

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Jarate posted:

I've purchased all the '90s Doom games at least four times each in my life, and I don't have access to any of the physical discs. I bought the Doom collection on Steam just now (Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Master Levels for Doom II, and Doom 3 and expansion). I'm on a Mac, so I can't play them. I figured I'd at least be able to download the files so I could nab those WAD files so I could play the games in a source port, but no dice. Won't let me even download the data.

Does anyone know a workaround for this? I've bought the games enough times to pay for it for dozens of people at this point. Now all I want to do is play again. :(

edit: I thought I found an answer but I was wrong.

You should get on AIM.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

moms pubis posted:

You should get on AIM.
On it.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I just got the latest gzdoom along with brutal doom and the 2011 soundtrack to give a go, and I am not getting any sound. Any ideas where to start looking for a fix? I've been messing around with the sound options in-game and I haven't had any luck.

EDIT: When I start the game up and that little console window pops up and starts running poo poo, I swear I saw a red line that said something like "sound failed to init". I can't be sure because it scrolls so quickly and you cant scroll up that far once you are in the game.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 14, 2011

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Kazvall posted:

Can we get a game of Unreal Gold going sometime? I still love just enjoying the amazing maps in that loving game.
I'd love to replay that game one more time in co-op. Man, just thinking about the music from that game makes me go all :3: .

Also, I'd really find it hilarious if we'd do Operation: Na Pali too (I *think* it does co-op?) and just poo poo-talk about the "quality" voice acting.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I just fired up Unreal Gold and played it for a bit. I've got two impressions:

1 - If you think that stepping off the Vortex Riker is still a moment of divine visual splendor, you've got your head up your rear end

2 - This gameplay is still awesome

I love movement-based shooters. Running around and shooting stuff is great. I had this great moment where I was zipping back and forth across a hallway entrance, and at the other end, the Skaarj I was fighting was doing the same thing.

It really is a shame that the consoles had to come along and turn every FPS into a 'sit behind a box and auto-aim by pressing a button and shoot down your iron sights at a foreign enemy soldier' kind of game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Maxwell Adams posted:

I love movement-based shooters. Running around and shooting stuff is great.

If a game engine prohibits you from outrunning your own rockets, then it has no business being installed on my computer.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

I just fired up Unreal Gold and played it for a bit. I've got two impressions:

1 - If you think that stepping off the Vortex Riker is still a moment of divine visual splendor, you've got your head up your rear end

2 - This gameplay is still awesome

I love movement-based shooters. Running around and shooting stuff is great. I had this great moment where I was zipping back and forth across a hallway entrance, and at the other end, the Skaarj I was fighting was doing the same thing.

It really is a shame that the consoles had to come along and turn every FPS into a 'sit behind a box and auto-aim by pressing a button and shoot down your iron sights at a foreign enemy soldier' kind of game.

Totally agree. Stepping off the Riker is still awesome, and shows how the team put the maps and concepts for the game together so well. Mostly, the movement/weapons and enemies are great. It's not really linear. You have so many paths to take, to complete the game. Not that you don't have to double back. But, you're always thinking, "Oh gently caress, I'll go... THIS WAY!".

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

If Unreal was made in this modern era, the only thing people would remember about stepping off the ship is the sheer level of bloom.

When I first got Unreal, it was a Christmas present in 1999 after I'd been begging for it for what felt like months (I was 11). I installed it, and I think I only got as far as the level right after your first meeting with the Skaarj. The vast majority of my game time was spent either in botmatch (which I loved) or, pathetically enough, watching that flyby intro.

I watched that loving thing for ever and ever and ever. The music, the reflections of the lights (even on my paltry 233 MHz piece of rear end)... So loving memorable.

On the topic of Doom II, I actually had nightmares about one level. It wasn't scary at all, but map06 or map07, the one where you start in a circular room surrounded by doors, was the worst thing in the world for me. That end portion where you have to go through a very short poison-filled hallway on platforms that lowered right as you stepped on them loving destroyed me. I could not open that door before dying of poison death. There was no way out! I had so many dreams about drowning in a pool of poison in that goddamn curved hallway. I was like six years old, too.

But I still loved that game.

oversteps fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 14, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
That was map08 Tricks and Traps. I've been doing a no-save brutal doom run, and the final sinking platform room got me every time. Took me 3 days before I finally stopped loving it up.

Jarate posted:

If Unreal was made in this modern era, the only thing people would remember about stepping off the ship is the sheer level of bloom.

:wink:
:wmwink:

treat fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 14, 2011

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Dominic White posted:

the chainsaw is genuinely useful, etc etc.

What do you mean? I haven't noticed anything different about it.

Dominic White posted:

Lots of nice little details, like the Spider Mastermind taking almost no damage if you shoot its legs, too.

That explains why I blew through so much ammo on AV19 :doh:

The big problem with Brutal Doom that I've seen is that the BFG has a blast radius. In maps which were balanced around the player being able to BFG things at point blank range, things get... difficult. The blast radius on the plasma rifle causes similar problems for me.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

SavageMessiah posted:

What do you mean? I haven't noticed anything different about it.

It seems to stunlock enemies a little better and let you strafe around stuff a tad quicker, and it seems to have a mild vampiric effect when on lower health.

Some maps might be designed around the old balance, but they must be very specific levels. And I can't think of many that would force you to use the plasma gun without giving you the minigun either.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Gooch181 posted:

I just got the latest gzdoom along with brutal doom and the 2011 soundtrack to give a go, and I am not getting any sound. Any ideas where to start looking for a fix? I've been messing around with the sound options in-game and I haven't had any luck.

EDIT: When I start the game up and that little console window pops up and starts running poo poo, I swear I saw a red line that said something like "sound failed to init". I can't be sure because it scrolls so quickly and you cant scroll up that far once you are in the game.

They dorked up the package on the newest revisions, leaving out some files and putting in the wrong FMOD dll. Download r1225, extract, then copy over the gzdoom.exe and .pk3 from r1229.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Tecman posted:

I'd love to replay that game one more time in co-op. Man, just thinking about the music from that game makes me go all :3: .

I remember playing this co-op on loving MPlayer, some bizzare ancient service that 90's games used for multiplayer. It was always just random levels but man I was playing with other people, that poo poo was awesome.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Dominic White posted:

It really cannot be understated how good Brutal Doom is. While it seems to initially hinge on the concept of XTREME ULTRAVIOLENCE, the balance changes are actually pretty great. The rifle replacing the pistol means you actually have to choose between it and the shotgun early on, and the minigun has its uses even when you have the plasma gun. Stealth-punching is great, the chainsaw is genuinely useful, etc etc. It's all pretty great actually.

The M16 being semi-auto, in my opinion, made it far less useful.

I also still think it should be something more futuristic, but that's the tacticool fanboy in me speaking.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Unreal 1 is one of my favorite FPS games ever made because of how it "feels". The combat, the wide-open spaces for you to explore and the music all combine to make a game that just feels right, and definitely isn't something you'd see come out today. I think its stood the test of time just as well as HL1 has.

Then you look at Gears of War and realize that Epic could never make something like Unreal 1 again in their current state and you get all :smith:.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I do like Unreal, but I'd like it more if I didn't get lost so easily. I'm not sure if it's me or the level design. Speaking of, I'm STILL stuck in that mother ship near the end...

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 15, 2011

Space Flyman
May 21, 2007

BATMAN HE WILL CATCH ALL BADDY!
Shameless plug, but for anyone interested here is an article I wrote a year or two ago about the Build engine games, as well as the accompanying interview with Build's creator, Ken Silverman.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

JackMackerel posted:

The M16 being semi-auto, in my opinion, made it far less useful.

Even just clicking a couple of times makes it fire about three times faster than the pistol, with twice the accuracy and the potential to one-shot smaller enemies with headshots. It's a huge upgrade.

If it was full auto it'd be overpowered.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

MrBims posted:

Hey, you managed to pick the right one! It's exactly the map that I had in mind. :) You rock. And it seems that I *can* bind "Jump", although it hasn't seemed necessary in the few minutes I've played to look around.

Thanks again. Now I can earnestly play through all of my WADS without feeling like I'm missing something.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Only a handfull of level packs are designed with jumping in mind. Another good one (which includes a bunch of levels from the UT&T guy) is ZPack. Full three-episode run with a couple of new enemies (usually just used as flavour in some levels), but otherwise fully compatible with Brutal Doom. And you'll definitely need to do some jumping and ducking.

There's even some areas with waist-high cover that actually works out pretty well as defense against blobs of minigunners.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Alternatively, Thunderpeak is a standalone version of the best bit of ZPack, if you don't like sorting through the hay to find needles.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks. (Best thread ever)

So, I can't find a list of good 'goals', like I was mentioning, but so far, I'm certain I've beaten the original Doom on Ultra-Violence. I know I've played through Doom 2, but I'm not sure on what setting, so I think that'll be my next goal. Then I'll start digging into custom stuff with gusto. The only mod I'm using is the basic stuff that comes with GZDoom (pretty lights, etc), for now. Then I'll re-do Doom and Doom 2 (all eps) with Brutal doom, and branch out yet again.

So what setting for Vanilla Doom 2 would be advisable? Ultra Violence? I find Nightmare to be a bit silly with all of the respawns, especially when I don't know the levels all too well, and am searching for secrets a lot.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

So I've been playing Team Fortress(quake) in Darkplaces. God drat, it's been since 1998. It's still amazing.

If anyone wants to play this, download tf2.8. Then, just search for quakeworld servers in darkplaces. I've mostly been playing co-op, which is insane.

I still need to download doomsday again if the internet issues have been worked out since 5 years ago. Does the doomsday website have most of the mods I'll need? Or, are there some awesome ones I'll miss?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Chinook posted:

So what setting for Vanilla Doom 2 would be advisable? Ultra Violence? I find Nightmare to be a bit silly with all of the respawns, especially when I don't know the levels all too well, and am searching for secrets a lot.

I tend to play Ultra Violence with Fast Monsters on. It adds that extra bit of challenge without making it stupid-hard.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

After reading through this thread a little bit, I wanted to pop in and thank you guys for compiling all of this information. This thread is literally my childhood condensed into one location. I've played, and still own, almost everything in the OP and they have given me some of the fondest memories of gaming I have.

Also, OP could have Tribes RPG under the mods section. I know there are like 20-30 people that still play (or at least there were when i checked 2 months ago).

http://www.pcrpg.org/

Tribes 2 Construction mod was also some stupid fun but I have no idea if that one is still around.

e: I also wanted to mention SLIDE for Quake 1 http://singe.telefragged.com/slide/index.html

There was also some mod that introduced runes with various powers whose name I can't remember.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

Alternatively, Thunderpeak is a standalone version of the best bit of ZPack, if you don't like sorting through the hay to find needles.

Eh, I like most of the ZPack levels. Thunderpeak power plant is particularly impressive though, if a little uniformly brown. I like the one set in a high-tech base where you've actually got fleshy hell-portals in the floors and ceilings that look infinitely deep and spew out cacodemons and pain elementals.