Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Gyshall posted:

Any recommendations for good Cyanogenmod 7 themes?

I like the built in blue one, which also happens to look great with the Awful App's dark theme. I never bothered to look into theming beyond the basic color change themes that ship with CM7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

brc64 posted:

I like the built in blue one, which also happens to look great with the Awful App's dark theme. I never bothered to look into theming beyond the basic color change themes that ship with CM7.
A lot of people like Honeybread, but I personally alternate between Cyanbread and Androidian.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

A lot of people like Honeybread, but I personally alternate between Cyanbread and Androidian.

+1 for Honeybread. I can't find the thread for it on XDA for the life of me so here's the apk:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6007097/Honeybread-Alpha-V4-signed.apk

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nate fisher posted:

Honestly looking at your screenshot MIUI might be made for you since it seems you don't like to use the App drawer.

Why would you say that? Ain't nothin' wrong with filling a homescreen with app shortcuts.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm confused about CM7 on the Thunderbolt? I thought for some reason there is no AOSP ROM for the Thunderbolt, and thus there is no CM7. Or I should say there is a CM7 for the Thunderbolt, but it's glitchy and broken because they need to keep Sense on there somewhat. Is this right?

Regardless, I'm interested in getting dasBAMF off my phone because I keep losing my 4g/3g signal like crazy and I'm reading it's from BAMF. Only thing that worries me is if I try another ROM, supposedly they have to support whichever radio I have on my phone or I'm hosed. 1, I don't know which radio I have on my phone. 2, I have no idea how the hell to flash a radio. I'd like to go to MR2 or MR2.5 but I don't even know what's the difference between them. I'm really confused here, so any help would be fantabulous.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

nate fisher posted:

Honestly looking at your screenshot MIUI might be made for you since it seems you don't like to use the App drawer.

App drawer: Tap to open the drawer, then swipe to get to the app you want. Better hope it's not Wordfeud!

Home screen: Customizable, allows one-tap opening of your most-used apps.

Clearly this proves App drawer superiority! :downsowned:

Here's my home screen, for the record. I have a second screen to the left for less-common tasks but still more common than the rest of my apps.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

nickhimself posted:

After realizing I had to download gapps to get things to sync, and realizing I relied on Backup Assistant to keep contact info rather than google, I had a little frustration but that was truly all of my own fault.

I had this exact problem, but luckily Verizon is nice enough to let you export your contacts from their website.

I'd like to keep using Backup Assistant on CM7 for redundancy, but looks like that's not going to happen :sigh:

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

bbcisdabomb posted:

I had this exact problem, but luckily Verizon is nice enough to let you export your contacts from their website.

I'd like to keep using Backup Assistant on CM7 for redundancy, but looks like that's not going to happen :sigh:

Yeah, I just sucked it up and started moving everything to my google contacts list.

For the couple comments regarding my homescreen being full of apps: I prefer it that way. I like having the immediate option of using one of my frequently opened apps rather than having to open the app drawer. I know it's like .005ms difference in time but, still, it's easier for me. Personal preference.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Hamburglar posted:

I'm confused about CM7 on the Thunderbolt? I thought for some reason there is no AOSP ROM for the Thunderbolt, and thus there is no CM7. Or I should say there is a CM7 for the Thunderbolt, but it's glitchy and broken because they need to keep Sense on there somewhat. Is this right?

Regardless, I'm interested in getting dasBAMF off my phone because I keep losing my 4g/3g signal like crazy and I'm reading it's from BAMF. Only thing that worries me is if I try another ROM, supposedly they have to support whichever radio I have on my phone or I'm hosed. 1, I don't know which radio I have on my phone. 2, I have no idea how the hell to flash a radio. I'd like to go to MR2 or MR2.5 but I don't even know what's the difference between them. I'm really confused here, so any help would be fantabulous.

I think that may have been true when the phone came out but it's had CM7 and at least one other AOSP ROM for awhile. CM7 is available and it's still in a "testing" phase but I loaded it last night and it's loving fantastic, haven't run into any bugs of my own yet.

Flashing the radio is pretty easy actually. Here is a thread on some Thunderbolt forums that I found really really useful. There's a video showing you how to flash the radio.

If I were you I'd try flashing the radio to whatever version is compatible with the BAMF you are using. There are Froyo and Gingerbread versions of BAMF, try to figure out which one you have. Froyo versions need the MR1 radio, GB needs MR2 or MR2.5. If you can't figure out which one you have then just start over by picking a version, flashing its radio and then flashing the right ROM.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

chappey posted:

As an idiot, I would be interested in this guide.

http://www.thunderboltforums.com/forum/htc-thundebolt-hacking-guides/1233-rs-guide-how-root-your-thunderbolt.html

There you go! I followed that exactly, and aside from CM7 bootlooping, everything was simple.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

nimper posted:

App drawer: Tap to open the drawer, then swipe to get to the app you want. Better hope it's not Wordfeud!

Home screen: Customizable, allows one-tap opening of your most-used apps.

Clearly this proves App drawer superiority! :downsowned:

? Not sure what point you are trying to make against mine. I was just saying that the MIUI default launcher doesn't use a App drawer and he might like that (not out for TB yet). Myself I can't stand the clutter so I use ADW and I keep my most used apps in the bottom dock. Also if you want fast just use the MIUI 10 point lockscreen to have access to what you want from your lockscreen.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 15, 2011

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Hamburglar posted:

I have 0 problems with my radio running bamf. Which radio flash you use depends on which bamf you're running. I'm running their stock 2.1 with MR2 and haven't had a single issue with drops or 3g/4g swaps since I did it a month ago.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nate fisher posted:

? Not sure what point you are trying to make against mine. I was just saying that the MIUI default launcher doesn't use a App drawer and he might like that (not out for TB yet). Myself I can't stand the clutter so I use ADW and I keep my most used apps in the bottom dock. Also if you want fast just use the MIUI 10 point lockscreen to have access to what you want from your lockscreen.

All you see from his screenshot is that he had a few applications on a homescreen. How do you know he doesn't have other applications in the drawer?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

fishmech posted:

All you see from his screenshot is that he had a few applications on a homescreen. How do you know he doesn't have other applications in the drawer?

I am sure he does, but I don't give a poo poo no more about this useless discussion. Back on track.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DigitalMocking posted:

I have 0 problems with my radio running bamf. Which radio flash you use depends on which bamf you're running. I'm running their stock 2.1 with MR2 and haven't had a single issue with drops or 3g/4g swaps since I did it a month ago.

Thanks. I read a lot of people complaining about the version of dasBAMF I'm using but we're all on MR1; that's probably why.

HondaCivet posted:

I think that may have been true when the phone came out but it's had CM7 and at least one other AOSP ROM for awhile. CM7 is available and it's still in a "testing" phase but I loaded it last night and it's loving fantastic, haven't run into any bugs of my own yet.

Flashing the radio is pretty easy actually. Here is a thread on some Thunderbolt forums that I found really really useful. There's a video showing you how to flash the radio.

If I were you I'd try flashing the radio to whatever version is compatible with the BAMF you are using. There are Froyo and Gingerbread versions of BAMF, try to figure out which one you have. Froyo versions need the MR1 radio, GB needs MR2 or MR2.5. If you can't figure out which one you have then just start over by picking a version, flashing its radio and then flashing the right ROM.

Thanks a lot. I think I will give CM7 a try. I got scared by the warnings of "data and cellular connection issues".

What's the best way to back up all my apps and hopefully my settings and stuff? Or can I basically kiss settings goodbye?

Also what the hell is a kernel and why do I have to flash that now too?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 15, 2011

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I have been having some problems with my EVO 4g rebooting, and I have hardware 0003 which supposedly is known to have the reboot problem when it overheats... I was wondering how/what are the steps to get back to unrooted? I am running the latest Fresh ROM and I was wondering how I get back to stock and unrooted so I can go into the Sprint store and have them fix my loving phone. I can't use it heavily for more than 5 minutes without it loving rebooting.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Hamburglar posted:

Thanks. I read a lot of people complaining about the version of dasBAMF I'm using but we're all on MR1; that's probably why.

Thanks a lot. I think I will give CM7 a try. I got scared by the warnings of "data and cellular connection issues".

What's the best way to back up all my apps and hopefully my settings and stuff? Or can I basically kiss settings goodbye?

Also what the hell is a kernel and why do I have to flash that now too?

Kernel flashing is pretty easy, just download the zip and flash it in clockwork recovery.

My understanding of CM7 is that its really gotten better in the last week or so, a couple of folks in the office have been on the nightlys and are happy with them.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Has anyone "perma-temp" rooted their EVO 3D? Just about everything works fine but I'm having problems with WiFi Tether. I'm using version 3.0 pre14 which is what's recommended as working. The app doesn't give me any errors and I can connect with my laptop. I can reach any Google site, Google, Google Plus, Gmail, Google Voice, etc, but only Google sites. Nothing other than Google sites will load at all. I made sure to check the routing fix and I've tried several different device profiles. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

XDA thread for the temp root: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1159354

I read that XDA thread and it sounds like people are having better luck with barnacle tether

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

nimper posted:

What launcher is that? LauncherPro at least allows you to have five rows, which I find invaluable.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DigitalMocking posted:

Kernel flashing is pretty easy, just download the zip and flash it in clockwork recovery.

Right, I just don't know what a kernel is, how it's different than a ROM, and if I need to flash one or not.

Also I looked all over, I don't see nightlies for the Thunderbolt anywhere? Latest one is from 8 days ago.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Seven Round Things posted:

What launcher is that? LauncherPro at least allows you to have five rows, which I find invaluable.

It's ADW Launcher, included with CM7. I tweaked it a bit obviously. I've tried LauncherPro as well, but in four-row mode. Five rows just seems too crowded for me.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
My company updated Outlook to 2010, which broke ActiveSync on my stock MyTouch 4G. I never bothered going with a custom rom because everything worked fine and I preferred the Sense mail app/widgets than the plain vanilla android. I was going to upgrade to MIUI or Cyanogenmod, but then I noticed this:

Virtuous Unity Sense 3.0 based on Pyramid

"Virtuous Unity is the first custom Sense 3.0 ROM, scaled for WVGA screens, to be based on an official shipping release from HTC (1.35.75.1). The entire ROM is brand new, taking no application or framework components from any prior Sense 3 releases."

It works on the Desire HD, Desire Z, Desire S, Incredible S, Inspire 4G, and myTouch 4G.

I know some people look down on Sense, but this is really slick. I haven't had any issues with it so far. It seems very stable.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Hamburglar posted:

Also I looked all over, I don't see nightlies for the Thunderbolt anywhere? Latest one is from 8 days ago.

TBolt CM7 is currently being released by Slayher as he finishes it. There're no nightlys for it yet as it's still in beta, and not even considered a CM7 device yet.

However, I've been running CM7 on my TBolt for a month now and it's been loving spectacular. So happy to get rid of Sense.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sizzlechest posted:

Needs more clocks.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sizzlechest posted:

I know some people look down on Sense, but this is really slick. I haven't had any issues with it so far. It seems very stable.

The three biggest Sense haters have Sense phones now. Sense 1.0-2.5 or w/e were nice but caused some issues and didn't add too much over stock. 3.0 on top of Android 2.3 is one where it feels like Sense isn't in the way, it's enhancing things.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

BoyBlunder posted:

TBolt CM7 is currently being released by Slayher as he finishes it. There're no nightlys for it yet as it's still in beta, and not even considered a CM7 device yet.

However, I've been running CM7 on my TBolt for a month now and it's been loving spectacular. So happy to get rid of Sense.

I'm running OMFGB on my thunderbolt and it's pretty smooth. I went with it over CM7 on the sole basis that it has 6 people working on it as compared to 1, it has lockscreen shortcuts, and when I tried CM7, I was unimpressed with the offering.

The only thing I miss from switching from Sense to AOSP is the Contacts and Mail apps, which were both really well done.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Needs more clocks.
That first one is the lock screen, so I think it's allowed :)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rohaq posted:

That first one is the lock screen, so I think it's allowed :)

Dude, there's 3 loving clocks on that screen. :v:

Edit: If you have a Sense 3 device and aren't using the weather lockscreen you're a scrub. :colbert:

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Needs more clocks.

The number of clocks is mindboggling. I'm serious, there are like 10 types.

I miss the battery monitor in the status bar in Cyanogen. Is there an add on?

BTW, if anyone needs help on the Outlook problem WITHOUT upgrading to a new rom, you need to upgrade the email client. There's a froyo compiled Email.apk floating around that you can use to replace the one on the phone. For my phone, the sense email was called Mail.apk and was incompatible, so I just added the Email.apk to the /system/app directory. There a procedure that may work on the Exchange server that might help involving deleting and reapplying a default profile. Just google it if your IT people are willing.

Sizzlechest fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 15, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sizzlechest posted:

I miss the battery monitor in the status bar in Cyanogen. Is there an add on?

I'd like to know this, too. I have one there but it goes away when it's charging, so I have to unplug the drat phone to know what the percentage is.

Also, props on the Jerky Boys username :)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Casao posted:

The three biggest Sense haters have Sense phones now. Sense 1.0-2.5 or w/e were nice but caused some issues and didn't add too much over stock. 3.0 on top of Android 2.3 is one where it feels like Sense isn't in the way, it's enhancing things.

I just fell out of my chair.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hey, where would I go to get that 10 point lockscreen on MIUI? It looks really awesome and I'd like to give it a shot, but didn't see it in the list of "online lockscreens" they have in the settings menu.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Is there any way to 1-click-root a Nexus S like in the (outdated) OP? I am new to this stuff and a little worried. I found a few guides online but I don't know if I should trust them.

The only reason why I want to root the phone is, apparently, the latest 2.3.4 update comes with a baseband/radio/whatever that doesn't work well (with Telus Canada?). I can't connect to most websites, even while on WiFi.

How wrong am I?

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Running CM4DX and it's kinda amazing after all the fixes for torch/youtube/gps/camera/camcorder.

What themes, if any, are being recommended for it?

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 16, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Dude, there's 3 loving clocks on that screen. :v:

Edit: If you have a Sense 3 device and aren't using the weather lockscreen you're a scrub. :colbert:

Quoted for awesome animated weather.truth.

brc64 posted:

I just fell out of my chair.

It's true, and it is awesome. I don't see myself putting an aosp ROM on my 3d ever.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

big mean giraffe posted:

Quoted for awesome animated weather.truth.

It's true, and it is awesome. I don't see myself putting an aosp ROM on my 3d ever.

Only thing I see replacing Sense on mine is MIUI. And let's be honest, MIUI is the bastard offspring of Sense and iPhone.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

internet inc posted:

How wrong am I?
WiFi has nothing to do with the radio. So if sites aren't working ok on your phone while on WiFi, but do on another device, then it's likely something weird with your browser.

Also I wouldn't start flashing radios on a whim, only do it once you've narrowed the problem to it, i.e., by confirming though logs. Radio flashing is potentially dangerous if it's a bad flash (device can't boot) and it sometimes has weird side effects.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 16, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Well, I'm an idiot and posted this in the wrong thread initially...so let's try posting it in the thread that I meant to post it in:

I'm running out of space on my EVO for apps (I'm running CM7, and I've moved everything "large" to the SD card using the official Gingerbread A2SD).

I know there's a way to just flat-out use the SD card to install stuff, but I'm not sure how to do it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
With CM7 I finally feel like my Fascinate is reaching its full potential, it's a pretty awesome piece of hardware.

drat you Samsung why do you make it so hard to hate you sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black_Plague22
Apr 4, 2006
JA?!

Codiusprime posted:

With CM7 I finally feel like my Fascinate is reaching its full potential, it's a pretty awesome piece of hardware.

drat you Samsung why do you make it so hard to hate you sometimes.

Can you tell me what steps you took to stick CM7 on your phone? I currently have a fascinate with voodoo, and there's not a whole lot of information out there on how to upgrade.