Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Indecisiveness got the better of me.

Kiss Me Deadly (out of stock so coupon didn't apply :()
House
Shock Corridor
Naked
Homicide
Diabolique

Also picked up 13 Assassins which is unavailable in Canada :mad:

Cacator fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tweets/possible leaks from CriterionCast:

Leningrad Cowboys Go America
Island of Lost Souls
Identification Of A Woman

Dance of joy for the first one, the other two I haven't seen but intrigue me.

edit: more... The Four Feathers and Kuroneko

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 15, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

new titles are up! details forthcoming

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

Island of Lost Souls
Rules.

quote:

edit: more... The Four Feathers
Was hoping for the Merriam C Cooper version.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Holy poo poo another Kaurismaki box set. I've never seen Total Balalaika Show and I'm literally sort of stomping my feet in joy at my desk.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#583 - THE FOUR FEATHERS (BR/DVD - Oct 11)

• New high-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
• Audio commentary by film historian Charles Drazin
• New video interview with David Korda, son of director Zoltαn Korda
• A Day at Denham, a short film from 1939 featuring footage of Zoltαn Korda on the set of The Four Feathers
• Trailer
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Sragow

#584 - KURONEKO (BR/DVD - Oct 18)

• New high-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
• Video interview with director Kaneto Shindo from the Directors Guild of Japan
• New video interview with critic Tadao Sato
• Theatrical trailer
• New and improved English subtitle translation
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Maitland McDonagh and an excerpt from film scholar Joan Mellen’s 1972 interview with Shindo

#585 - IDENTIFICATION OF A WOMAN (BR/DVD - Oct 25)

• Theatrical trailer
• New and improved English subtitle translation
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic John Powers and a reprinted 1982 interview with Michelangelo Antonioni by critic Gideon Bachmann

#586 - ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (BR/DVD - Oct 25)

• New high-definition digital restoration of the uncut theatrical version (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
• Audio commentary by film historian Gregory Mank, author of Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff and Hollywood’s Maddest Doctors
• New video conversation among filmmaker John Landis (An American Werewolf in London), Oscar-winning makeup artist Rick Baker (An American Werewolf in London, Videodrome), and genre expert Bob Burns
• New interviews with horror film historian David J. Skal (The Monster Show: A Cultural History of Horror); filmmaker Richard Stanley (Hardware, original director of the ill-fated 1996 remake of The Island of Dr. Moreau)
• New interviews with Devo founding members Gerald Casale and Mark Mothersbaugh, whose manifesto is rooted in themes from Island of Lost Souls
• Theatrical trailer
• PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Christine Smallwood

ECLIPSE #29: AKI KAURISMAKI'S LENINGRAD COWBOYS (DVD - Oct 18)

• Leningrad Cowboys Go America
• Leningrad Cowboys Meet Moses
• Total Balalaika Show (plus 5 music videos)

My take: I haven't seen any of the mainline releases, and I'm curious about all of them. It really bums me out that I can't get Criterions on Netflix anymore. I'll have to wait for the library to get them, and I'll have to settle for DVD instead of Blu-Rays.

The Kaurismaki set is an unexpected surprise. I adore Go America, I can get rid of my lousy Balalaika Show DVD, and I finally get to see Moses! JOY!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They're also issuing Blu editions of Dazed and Confused, as well as Salo.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

And Harakiri! Yay!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I'm really curious to see how that Island of Lost Souls restoration looks. Interested to see the rest of the mainline releases, don't care about the eclipse set. Interesting to see yet another barebones release in Identification of a Woman.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Lost Souls cover is boss.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

penismightier posted:

Lost Souls cover is boss.

For the first month in some time I am pretty impressed by all the covers. I've never seen any of them but they all have piqued my interest.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I've only seen Island of Lost Souls via a scratchy old library VHS some years ago, so getting a blu ray of it is going to be amazing.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Can't wait for Leningrad Cowboys! The Proletariat Trilogy is my most watched Eclipse set.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Sweet! I'm pretty excited about Kuroneko - I saw that last year and was absolutely blown away by it. Glad more people will get to see it now.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

FitFortDanga posted:

Hot dog! :dance: I think this'll be the first Criterion release that I'll ever preorder.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Annoying question for a film discussion thread, but when does it actually kick in your member discount for Barnes and Noble when checking out online?

I ask because when I set up my account in-store, they jacked it up in some way so that it acknowledged I was a member online and had an expiration date, but it didn't apply the discount. I went in-store to get it fixed, but I haven't tried since then. I seem to get pretty far into the checkout process but it doesn't tack on any additional member discount, it just gives me the free member shipping so far...

Ninja edit: Ah poo poo looking again, is that an in-store discount only, and the free shipping is the only online discount?

Brian Fellows fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 15, 2011

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

FitFortDanga posted:

Love the poo poo out of the Proletariat Trilogy, so I'll probably get this during whatever the next big Criterion sale is.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Yay, my Red Desert showed up today. :)
Boo, my Red Desert has an indent that slightly ripped the art. :(

Barnes And Noble uses the shittiest shipping packaging possible. It was my movie in the equivalent of a cardboard sleeve.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Egbert Souse posted:

I might be willing to upgrade to Blu-Ray for Dazed and Confused. Salo on the other hand...

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Sporadic posted:

Yay, my Red Desert showed up today. :)
Boo, my Red Desert has an indent that slightly ripped the art. :(

Barnes And Noble uses the shittiest shipping packaging possible. It was my movie in the equivalent of a cardboard sleeve.

Everything I've gotten has been the same. Absolutely ridiculous. My Nikkatsu Noir box was completely mangled. Definitely thinking twice about ordering anything online.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Seriously. If any of the films you want are digipacks, do yourself a favor and go to the store. B&N packaging sucks major balls. My copy of Night of The Hunter looks like it was sat on by a fat man. I'm going to have to go to the store and exchange it if I can.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
Any word on whether Dazed and Confused is getting any new supplements, or is it just a straight re-release of the DVD? The DVD itself is pretty high quality when played on an upconverting blu-ray player.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Skeletron posted:

Seriously. If any of the films you want are digipacks, do yourself a favor and go to the store. B&N packaging sucks major balls. My copy of Night of The Hunter looks like it was sat on by a fat man. I'm going to have to go to the store and exchange it if I can.

My copy of Night of the Hunter also came with some slight damage to the box. I'd go to an actual B&N store to get my Criterions, but the one closest to me closed down a long time ago and the next closest one doesn't even have a movie & TV section. :(

Slavman
Jun 11, 2011

I don't know the returning policy of B&N, but whenever I order media with Amazon and it arrives hosed up, I just send it back. I had this a couple of times now and they would always send me a replacement right away. I suppose B&N would work the same way?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's the nature of the packaging, so don't expect getting a pristine one. Criterion should have used a digipack like Seven Samurai.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Anyone know the exact day the sale ends? Is it just the last day of July? I'm trying to plan my purchase around paychecks.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Friedpundit posted:

Anyone know the exact day the sale ends? Is it just the last day of July? I'm trying to plan my purchase around paychecks.

August 1st is the last day.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Was about to order the Orpheus blu, but Orphic Trilogy is in stock! :woop:

Not liking that Elevator to the Gallows is treated as full-price. Why have a Criterion sale that excludes a few other Criterions?

Has anyone noticed the shrinking window of opportunity for discount codes? I have been using them to counteract the cost of express shipping. One of the codes has expired, another cannot be used twice; my third and last code has been deployed on Orphic Trilogy and Simon of the Desert (love 'em). Past sales have soured me to B&N's free shipping that takes over two weeks to get here.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Is F for Fake gonna come out on BluRay as soon as I buy it on the B&N sale, or should I just buy it?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

aricoarena posted:

Is F for Fake gonna come out on BluRay as soon as I buy it on the B&N sale, or should I just buy it?

Visually speaking, I would see no need for a blu-ray version.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Cacator posted:

Visually speaking, I would see no need for a blu-ray version.

That makes sense. I was thinking the same thing when I saw Swingers came out on bluray.

Thrillhou
Dec 28, 2006
Quick question: Does anyone have the Lady Eve Criterion? It's one of my favorite movies ever, and I never noticed that there was a Criterion of it, is it worth the $30 or should I wait for a half off sale? I realize it came out a while back, so there might not be too many people who grabbed it.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Half off sale is going on right now, but it's very much worth $30 anyway.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

MauveTrousers posted:

Quick question: Does anyone have the Lady Eve Criterion? It's one of my favorite movies ever, and I never noticed that there was a Criterion of it, is it worth the $30 or should I wait for a half off sale? I realize it came out a while back, so there might not be too many people who grabbed it.

The half off sale is already going on and it has been marked down to $20

Thrillhou
Dec 28, 2006

Sporadic posted:

The half off sale is already going on and it has been marked down to $20

Even better, thanks to the two responses, already ordered. It's such a great movie on basic cable, I can't wait to check it out.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Jeeeez. I'm not sure how I feel about the ridiculous amounts of misogyny and sadism (even for a noir), but Kiss Me Deadly was definitely the craziest noir I've ever seen. The twist came totally out of left field...so bizarre and awesome.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004
Watched Revanche last night after blind buying it. Absolutely fantastic film which kept me gripped throughout. Also successfully avoided what I expected to be a cliched ending. Beautiful Blu transfer, too.

Slavman
Jun 11, 2011

Skeletron posted:

Jeeeez. I'm not sure how I feel about the ridiculous amounts of misogyny and sadism (even for a noir), but Kiss Me Deadly was definitely the craziest noir I've ever seen. The twist came totally out of left field...so bizarre and awesome.

Fantastic noir indeed. And all the influence it had on later movies, like: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Pulp Fiction, The Usual Suspects or Lost Highway ...

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
OK initial haul (meaning this is just what I bought in store) was:

(Blu)
The Great Dictator (love Chaplin)
Paths of Glory
The Night of The Hunter
Days of Heaven

(DVD)
Ace in the Hole (I swear I don't really love Kirk Douglas like these purchases would imply)
The Friends of Eddie Coyle (love Robert Mitchum)

The only blind buy here is Days of Heaven. I figure I love all of Malick's other stuff, so he earned it.

According to my excel file that I update every time new releases are announced (...), there are still 22 Blurays and nine DVDs that I'm interested in owning. Since all of you are dying to know, 11 of those Blus are low priorities that I already own the DVD on, and of the combined 31 I'm interested in, and eight are movies I haven't seen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh my god I am so happy at that Leningrad Cowboys announcement :qq: