Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Lamuella posted:

it's entirely possible. I was just going by their wikipedia pages and wiki doesn't mention wrestling for anyone but WWE/FCW
Maybe he got the initial training from Homicide while he was a bodybuilder and WWE signed him.

Zeke's wikipedia photo makes me laugh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Perigryn posted:

Titus is apparently friends with Batista and was motivated to become a wrestler after Big Dave showed him one of his Wrestlemania cheques lol

Welp, Titus has been stepping his game up on NXT so good on him.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Welp, Titus has been stepping his game up on NXT so good on him.
Hard to believe it's the same guy from NXT season 2. HUGE difference.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Perigryn posted:

Hard to believe it's the same guy from NXT season 2. HUGE difference.

That's another thing about FCW. I originally gave Riley poo poo for being in FCW for three years without improving much, but he was a complete rookie when joining FCW. Some of these guys should be spending 4-6 years in FCW before touching television but instead, they get called on for having a good look and are expected to make it up to the main roster in three years and not embarrass themselves on television. It's unfair expectations and decreases the overall wrestling product.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lone Rogue posted:

That's another thing about FCW. I originally gave Riley poo poo for being in FCW for three years without improving much, but he was a complete rookie when joining FCW. Some of these guys should be spending 4-6 years in FCW before touching television but instead, they get called on for having a good look and are expected to make it up to the main roster in three years and not embarrass themselves on television. It's unfair expectations and decreases the overall wrestling product.

or instead of spending 4-6 years at FCW, they should spend 2 years there, then 2 years somewhere else, then 2 years somewhere else. Switch things up so they learn from as many people as possible.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Or they should just dump FCW. Maybe I have rose-colored glasses (I almost certainly do), but when they were sending people to Power Pro Wrestling in Memphis, or to Ohio Valley, the call-ups didn't look like they had been in the ring about a half-dozen times.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That also had something to do with who they were learning from, though. In Power Pro, they were learning from Regal, and in Ohio, from Cornette. No disrespect to Steve Keirn intended, but he isn't on either of those guys' level.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lamuella posted:

or instead of spending 4-6 years at FCW, they should spend 2 years there, then 2 years somewhere else, then 2 years somewhere else. Switch things up so they learn from as many people as possible.

I thought WWE was going to do this a few years ago when there was talk of them doing a "WWE Japan" and "WWE New Zealand" and such but they seemed to have completely dropped that.

It should be a four tier system.

- WWE (Majors)
- WCW (AAA)
- FCW (AA)
- WWE Power Plant (A)

The names are just examples, but basically the WWE should have a proper training school for wrestlers run by a few wrestlers. There's no television. There's barely even matches. It's a training school run by the WWE. If you were already trained, you skip the WWE Power Plant and go straight to FCW.

FCW is AA. To use a hockey equivalent, it's the ECHL. It's people who are not good enough for the WWE and nowhere near polished enough to be in "WCW". They work in front of a small crowd in Florida to sharpen their skills. You have to be the best in FCW to ever be considered to goto "WCW" but almost nobody goes from FCW to WWE.

WCW is AAA. Guys in WCW can usually talk and they can all wrestle enough to be competent. However, they are not good enough for the WWE. These guys would be main eventers in ROH or top guys in TNA. But they still need polish to join WWE. WCW would tour in smaller arenas all around the world so the wrestlers get used to the touring schedule and don't suddenly realize halfway through being a headlining main eventer that they can't do the touring schedule.

Once a guy has shown he can do it in WCW, he goes to the WWE. Meaning everyone in the WWE is polished, skilled and has proven on a small scale that they can handle the work load. Not every guy would go through every step. For example, if WWE signed Chris Hero, he'd goto WCW and not FCW. But if WWE signed say Crimson from TNA, he'd goto FCW.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm not sure that would work from a fiscal standpoint, though. WWE isn't broke by any means, but revenues are dropping, and generally an affiliation with a league means there's some amount of money being sent from the parent organization -- that is, WWE funds FCW. While it would make sense to have a four-tiered system from a performance perspective, I really don't think the ROI is there to have three affiliates, especially with the additional staffing needs.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 15, 2011

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I can see the value of FCW in teaching "WWE style" if that's what they want, but as a place to teach people how to wrestle it doesn't seem to be doing the job. Sure, they should use it as a finishing school if they feel like it, but they either need to hire from the indies or get much better developmental feds to go along with what they have.

Timby posted:

I'm not sure that would work from a fiscal standpoint, though. WWE isn't broke by any means, but revenues are dropping, and generally an affiliation with a league means there's some amount of money being sent from the parent organization -- that is, WWE funds FCW. While it would make sense to have a four-tiered system from a performance perspective, I really don't think the ROI is there to have three affiliates, especially with the additional staffing needs.

probably not, but at the very least they need an equivalent of the Chikara Wrestle Factory to supplement FCW.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 15, 2011

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Timby posted:

Or they should just dump FCW. Maybe I have rose-colored glasses (I almost certainly do), but when they were sending people to Power Pro Wrestling in Memphis, or to Ohio Valley, the call-ups didn't look like they had been in the ring about a half-dozen times.

I don't have any problem with them having FCW. Realistically it should be stop two. They should be hiring someone like Lance Storm to train the rawest of the raw rookies, then sending them to FCW, then to OVW to become polished products.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRayPer posted:

I don't have any problem with them having FCW. Realistically it should be stop two. They should be hiring someone like Lance Storm to train the rawest of the raw rookies, then sending them to FCW, then to OVW to become polished products.

Is WWE still taking people from OVW?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Is WWE still taking people from OVW?

They do not have a development agreement with OVW but they recognize they are one of the best schools in North America. They scout OVW regularly and have run try outs there. Ziggler's brother was signed out of OVW, as were a few other recent prospects.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRayPer posted:

They do not have a development agreement with OVW but they recognize they are one of the best schools in North America. They scout OVW regularly and have run try outs there. Ziggler's brother was signed out of OVW, as were a few other recent prospects.

Well poo poo, the way some people were talking it's like FCW is the only place WWE takes guys from now.

Is Ziggler's brother that Briley Pierce guy or whatever? I mean come on, BRILEY?!

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Has Beef Wellington of OVW fame shown up in FCW yet?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ChampRamp posted:

I'd love him to have a long and distinguished career in the WWE, and be the one to finally retire the legendary John Cena.

"I'm sorry, I love you."

*rear end punch*

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

I'd love him to have a long and distinguished career in the WWE, and be the one to finally retire the legendary John Cena.

"I'm sorry, I love you."

*rear end punch*

wrong beef wellington

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

The Shaman of Cum posted:

wrong beef wellington

It's such a common name, it's understandable.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Beef Wellington should have gone to TNA so he could debut at BFG. (hoping someone gets this)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Well poo poo, the way some people were talking it's like FCW is the only place WWE takes guys from now.

Is Ziggler's brother that Briley Pierce guy or whatever? I mean come on, BRILEY?!

They get signed from OVW and sent to FCW. Most guys get trained elsewhere and signed. The people listed before are the ones who have little or no training prior to signing with WWE and being sent to FCW.

Yes, his brother is now Briley.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ChampRamp posted:

I believe he's Brad Maddox.

FCW's talent pool actually looks a lot better now than it did a year or so ago. They basically emptied out a lot of their homegrown, super green talent on NXT and with callups like the Usos. They've also made a lot of cuts of guys who weren't progressing. In the last year or so, possibly related to HHH's new office responsibilities, they seem to have redirected their hiring practices and generally seem to sign guys with experience from lots of places in the world and seem to have developed some unofficial relationships with people like OVW or Lance Storm. They still obviously add some green guys based on looks or relations, or FCW trained people but at least half of the roster now seems to have real experience outside WWE's world. All in all they seem to be headed in the right direction.

Timby posted:

Realistically shouldn't a training school make money? Especially one tied directly to WWE? That's a deal where you seem to have low overage and people are actually paying you to do the work. And really all that is involved is really separating it from FCW so that there's two staffs the wrestlers learn from, so the whole cost of it is a new set of trainers. It could even stay in the same place as long as the school's staff and the FCW staff were separate.

The "AAA" company would be the real added cost and you're right that it might not be feasible at the moment but I imagine FCW can do pretty good business with its association and the WWE talent that gets loaned out and ultimately development companies are the sort of thing WWE has to either believe in as good long term investments or give up on.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Timby posted:

The ROI is huge since it means training future stars who have the talent and training to actually be stars. They put so little money into development that it is beyond a joke.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Timby posted:

I can't remember the specifics, but I believe they brought 35 wrestlers from FCW to WWE TV in 2010. Before that, they usually brought the top 7 or so every year.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
If other sports put as little money into their farm systems as WWE has they'd probably be dead or afterthoughts just like WWE has become.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Captain Charisma posted:

If other sports put as little money into their farm systems as WWE has they'd probably be dead or afterthoughts just like WWE has become.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I am surprised at the lack of wrestlers with gymnastic backgrounds. I think Jim Morrison is the only guy on the WWE roster with a background in gymnastics. It seems like a natural fit for prowrestling.
So I guess I am asking why there hasn't been a wrestler with a Gymkata gimmick?

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

I don't know. Maybe it's just ego at the end of the day, but i can name 20+ wrestlers who had great technical skills/mic skills/and overall just great wrestlers that came to a wider audience than they did in WWF, and thats actually one of the few props i give to Eric Bishoff and a couple of the other talent scouts in WCW at the time.

Just a few:
Chris Jerhico,
Dean Malenko
I'd probably put lance storm here, (even though he came from ECW, but I have a hard time legitimatizing ECW as mainstream, it was close, but for me just not there)
Ultimo Dragon (in America)
The Steiner Brothers
Ray Mysterio (early days)
Eddie Guerruo
Chris Benoit

WWF on the other hand i can name maybe 5 over the years that came to WWF with technical/over all skill without just having some big guy gimmick or weird gimmick or attitude gimmick. Which isn't to say was bad, but it seemed that was their only ace up their sleeve most of the time.

What i can think of...
Jimmy Snuka,
1-2-3 kid/Xpac
Regal (wait didn't he start in WCW? I can't remember)
really all i can really think of the top of my head

I contribute the difference between the two in the fact that WWF/E was all about American wrestling for the most part, which Isn't a BAD thing, it really isn't, but you need to balance it out with something exotic. WCW had people from all over the world, or at least people who TRAINED all over the world, which was a great move management/talent wise, the rest of their company was just run piss poor.

I'm all for the main eventers to be huge and thats about it, but i strongly believe your mid-under card needs to be for up and comers and people who are just awesome on the matt and bring a ton of world wrestling experience, it spreads to the entire locker room and helps the product over all.

Come for the awesome wrestling, stay for the big ego driven story lines by the main events.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Bischoff, to his credit, always felt you needed wrestling talent to make wrestling fans happy. He considered it a demographic that had to be sold to.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
How did he go from that to "wrestling is a soap opera for men" and "Glenn Beck makes sound arguments"?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bocc Kob posted:

How did he go from that to "wrestling is a soap opera for men" and "Glenn Beck makes sound arguments"?

Bischoff has always just said whatever seemed convenient at the time. Most of the hires on that list, especially the ECW guys were Sullivan hires. He scouted ECW and brought guys in. Bischoff barely gave a poo poo about "wrestling" and would just take people's word about hires and not bother watching matches of wrestlers who were in the building and he was supposed to scout.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Wasn't Bischoff responsible for bringing in most of the cruiserweights from Mexico and Japan?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Wasn't Bischoff responsible for bringing in most of the cruiserweights from Mexico and Japan?

Yes and no. He can take credit for resurrecting the division and bringing some guys in, but in the end guys like Konnan and Rey are the reason many of the luchadores got signed. As for Japan, WCW had deals in place before Bischoff took power. He did bring more people in, but never did jack poo poo with any of them.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Bischoff takes credit for anything that worked. In reality he had one good idea and that was stolen from Japan.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
In Jericho's book he said that Bischoff went around signing all the most talented wrestlers in the world, and I don't see why he'd lie to make Bischoff appear more intelligent than he actually was.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Bischoff takes credit for anything that worked. In reality he had one good idea and that was stolen from Japan.

The concept of Nitro was a great, though kind of a "duh" idea. (Let's not get into the idea of going head to head being Turner's.) No one had ever done a weekly, live wrestling show with top stars in matches every week and quality main events. No one ever went to the excesses Bischoff did before and when they had hot feuds and the biggest stars it worked. It also forced the WWF to change. So the nWo wasn't his only good idea. Nitro was another. He had lots of bad ones, lots of good ideas with unrealized potential (cruiserweights) and lots of Hulk Hogan.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

http://www.fcwwrestling.info/talent.html

Go to this website, pick someone's face you've never seen before, and guess what their body looks like.

Nick Rogers will blow your minds.

Edit: And Calvin Raines got a case of the tiny-heads!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

http://www.fcwwrestling.info/talent.html

Go to this website, pick someone's face you've never seen before, and guess what their body looks like.

Nick Rogers will blow your minds.

At least Nick Rogers has an impressive physique. Jason Mullen is simply tall. James Bronson makes even less sense to me because he's not that tall and has a terrible look (maybe he's a good wrestler? Doubt it). Bobby Dutch is another, "Seriously bro?"

Leo Kruger has the best "Body doesn't match anything of what you thought they'd look like based on their picture"

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Somebody took him out of the vat a little early. :stare:

I like the :smug: face on that Bobby Dutch fellow.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
You know, we make our jokes about Darren Young and John Cena but if Lucky Cannon buzzed his hair, he'd look eerily like a young Randy Orton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DannoMack posted:

In Jericho's book he said that Bischoff went around signing all the most talented wrestlers in the world, and I don't see why he'd lie to make Bischoff appear more intelligent than he actually was.
It's not like "Sign a bunch of talented wrestlers" is really that inspired of an idea, though. He probably realized "Hey, WWE has poo poo wrestlers at this point." and so decided he could appeal to casual fans with stuff like the nWo, and to hardcore fans with a bunch of foreign guys who could have a 4 star match with a desklamp.

Granted, it's still a good idea even if it ended up not being executed very well, but it doesn't make Bischoff some marketing genius.