Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
Thanks for the reply Senor P. I read aikidojournal fairly often, and I read George Ledyard's rant a few days ago as well. Talking about pre-war vs postwar aikido to a bunch of people who don't know much about it in the first place seems unnecessary. What matters is the aikido being taught today. And I think that there's a big problem with not enough students/instructors interested in training aikido properly, but that's a personal complaint.For example, I feel like at this point in my life I can push myself a lot harder physically but even getting people to do 5 extra minutes of randori at the end of class is a challenge.

There's a long debate about wether aikido is a grappling art here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Aikido and I think those saying that it doesn't fit the definition of grappling have made some good points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Cmon guys, we have civilized ways of settling these arguments...

zalmoxes posted:

Thanks for the reply Senor P. I read aikidojournal fairly often, and I read George Ledyard's rant a few days ago as well. Talking about pre-war vs postwar aikido to a bunch of people who don't know much about it in the first place seems unnecessary. What matters is the aikido being taught today. And I think that there's a big problem with not enough students/instructors interested in training aikido properly, but that's a personal complaint.For example, I feel like at this point in my life I can push myself a lot harder physically but even getting people to do 5 extra minutes of randori at the end of class is a challenge.

There's a long debate about wether aikido is a grappling art here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Aikido and I think those saying that it doesn't fit the definition of grappling have made some good points.
It may seem uncessary but I think it's an important point to make. It never hurts to just make sure people are correct on facts, but it's most important to have evidence. (I usually don't tell people they're wrong unless it's something blatant or I have proof on hand.)

Otherwise everyone will start believing the Gracies invented the gi. (Whoever it was that mentioned that I really want to see that poster...)

I think this really depends on what definition of grappling you're going by. For some people this means submission wrestling, for others it's a generic term for all forms of wrestling. However, the one thing that is unique to Aikido compared to other wrestling systems, is the range. Aikido is arm's length. In most wrestling systems movements are body to body, you're close to the other guy. Honestly I don't think it's really worth debating. Go wrassle with people if you wanna wrassle, who cares?

I did Aikido for about 3 years at college and I was pretty serious about it at the time. My last year I was doing Aikido and Judo/BJJ. I've just been doing BJJ solo these last few years.

I understand what you're saying. At my old Aikido school we were on a pretty strict schedule since there were folks after us. There were always more things I wanted to work on like weapon work or reversing techniques but some folks just were not interested.

My advice is if you want to get these things that you're not getting in your dojo. Go outside, train at some other places or with some other people and try to integrate that stuff back into your Aikido and maybe even bring it back to your school. (This can be at other Aikido schools or completely different places.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 16, 2011

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Senor P. posted:

Cmon guys, we have civilized ways of settling these arguments...

Dude the targe and dirk is such a badass combination.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Omglosser posted:

I think it's just cuz it's such an old and stupid argument.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6zlaIl0yh0

Ugh that triple jab he throws is so loving disgusting. Jesus.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

KidDynamite posted:

Tyson was so fast for a heavyweight, it is painful to watch knowing how good he could have been had he not strayed the path.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
The video of him at 15 blew my mind.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

the yellow dart posted:

Tyson was so fast for a heavyweight, it is painful to watch knowing how good he could have been had he not strayed the path.

If Cus D'Amato hadn't died Tyson would still probably be heavyweight champ.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hey I'm just popping in here to issue a friendly reminder for everyone to practice like it's practice and chill out a bit, one of the best guys at my school cross trains at a MMA place and he was sparring with someone and they got a little "spirited" and dude ended up tearing both his ACL and LCL :gonk:

So yeah, settle down kids.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

KidDynamite posted:

no poo poo. It's like I'm watching a ghost that hits like a dump truck.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

imtheism posted:

no poo poo. It's like I'm watching a ghost that hits like a dump truck.

It's scary just watching him slip punches, and his hooks to the body would probably leave me needing new ribs.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
it's frustrating to see a heavyweight move that much faster than you and you're 175lbs :(

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
Since we're on the topic of agility and speed, what is there you can do to improve that? I've been doing more jumprope and dribbling a soccer ball lately and I think it's helped a little, but I'm a lot slower than I would like to be. Is it mostly a matter of physical training, or is there a mental component to it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

zalmoxes posted:

Since we're on the topic of agility and speed, what is there you can do to improve that? I've been doing more jumprope and dribbling a soccer ball lately and I think it's helped a little, but I'm a lot slower than I would like to be. Is it mostly a matter of physical training, or is there a mental component to it.

A speed jumprope and an agility ladder. Plus sprints in a pool if you can. Those help immensely with speed.

For punching speed there's not really much you can do to increase it by much. That's more a genetic thing. As you learn better technique your punches will flow together faster but there will only be so much speed you can put behind a full power punch that is limited by your body.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 16, 2011

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
You can do a bit with plyometrics. Try explosive pushups or medicine ball throws for arm extension and barbell twists for hip rotation. For pure linear explosiveness you can try box jumps and dead start sprinting, on it's own or pulling a sled/ pushing a car.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I'm starting to like doing my throw on the left while keeping a regular righthanded grip. My favorite moves so far to do this way is ippon seio nage. I'll grip the colar with my right hand and keep my body sideways so they can't grip me with their own right hand. I then push/pull (mainly sideways) and may be throw a foot sweep if I see something to force them to move. When they move toward me or to my right, I'll seio, keeping my right hand on their collar and basically doing a ippon seio nage on my own arm.

This is proving very effective for me at the moment and I was wondering if there is other stuff similar to this I could try. Or anything from the "one handed" right hand on their collar grip.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

I'm starting to like doing my throw on the left while keeping a regular righthanded grip. My favorite moves so far to do this way is ippon seio nage. I'll grip the colar with my right hand and keep my body sideways so they can't grip me with their own right hand. I then push/pull (mainly sideways) and may be throw a foot sweep if I see something to force them to move. When they move toward me or to my right, I'll seio, keeping my right hand on their collar and basically doing a ippon seio nage on my own arm.

This is proving very effective for me at the moment and I was wondering if there is other stuff similar to this I could try. Or anything from the "one handed" right hand on their collar grip.

Left sided drop ippon from a right handed grip is one of my favorite techniques. I like to set it up with a Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi with my right foot. If they sprawl back with both legs the left sided drop ippon is wide open. If they just do a small step back then I like to continue through with my momentum into a Harai Makikomi.

I also really like to do ko-soto-gake on the side with the collar grip, especially late in the day when people are getting tired. If you can get an angle on them and then trap the leg with the ko-soto, pretty much all you have to do is push and fall down with them.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 17, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Thoguh posted:

Left sided drop ippon from a right handed grip is one of my favorite techniques. I like to set it up with a sode-tsuri-komi-goshi with my right foot. If they sprawl back with both legs the left sided drop ippon is wide open. If they just do a small step back then I like to continue through with my momentum into a Harai Makikomi.

I also really like to do ko-soto-gake on the side with the collar grip, especially late in the day when people are getting tired. If you can get an angle on them and then trap the leg with the ko-soto, pretty much all you have to do is push and fall down with them.

You may as well have posted in braille

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

and I purposely didn't say "tukui-waza" too.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'll try again.

Left sided drop ippon from a right handed grip is one of my Tukui waza. I like to set it up with a Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi with my right foot. If they sprawl back with both legs the left sided drop ippon is wide open. If they just do a small step back then I like to continue through with my momentum into a Harai Makikomi.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 17, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KidDynamite posted:

For punching speed there's not really much you can do to increase it by much. That's more a genetic thing. As you learn better technique your punches will flow together faster but there will only be so much speed you can put behind a full power punch that is limited by your body.
Also be careful not to throw arm punches (or snappy kicks) for the sake of speed. That's not something you want to get into the habit of.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
That sasae tsurikomi ashi was beautiful.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Seeing as how he was responding to to Colliwob's post, who also does Judo, I don't see why it's a problem.

http://judoinfo.com/new/techniques/index

Do you get pissy if someone is speaking a foreign language around you, in a conversation you're not involved in?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 17, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

tarepanda posted:

I got thrown by a similarly perfect sasae once. I am fairly certain that there would have been time for an inflight movie and drink service before I hit the mat.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

A speed jumprope and an agility ladder.

Not a bad idea.

KidDynamite posted:

Plus sprints in a pool if you can. Those help immensely with speed.

This is just retarded and should be ignored by everyone.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Senor P. posted:

Do you get pissy if someone is speaking a foreign language around you, in a conversation you're not involved in?

If they're totally fluent in the language that I also speak and we're not in a country where the language I don't speak is the primary language, you're drat right I get lovely about it. It's loving rude. I don't speak Italian when people who don't speak it are around, and the only reason for that is respect for those other people.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Now here's the question. If you're French and talking about the finer points of classical French cooking to an American who's a French cook, do you do it 100% in English, or do you use the French words that people who study classical French cooking are supposed to know?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I have a scenario that's kinda out there, what if you're on a forum talking about Judo to a guy who also does Judo, is it ok to use the japanese names for certain Judo moves even though there are people around who don't do Judo and thus don't understand the names?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

niethan posted:

I have a scenario that's kinda out there, what if you're on a forum talking about Judo to a guy who also does Judo, is it ok to use the japanese names for certain Judo moves even though there are people around who don't do Judo and thus don't understand the names?

Yes, because they're the names everyone who does judo knows; translations aren't always consistent and lead to more confusion than people just learning the judo lingo.

I feel like we just finished this whole dumb argument a thread ago.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Smegmatron posted:

If they're totally fluent in the language that I also speak and we're not in a country where the language I don't speak is the primary language, you're drat right I get lovely about it. It's loving rude. I don't speak Italian when people who don't speak it are around, and the only reason for that is respect for those other people.

But, in public? When a pair of strangers walk past you in public, speaking in the language of whatever country they emigrated from, talking about something in that country.

You, a stranger to them, are in their vicinity, so they should immediately switch back to speaking in english, even though it's suddenly quite hard to describe their home using english words that are only vague approximations of the words they are actually trying to use, even though there are specific words in their language to describe far more accurately and simply what they're trying to describe? You want them to be unable to communicate to their fullest potential? Why does it matter to you? You're just walking past and overhearing them.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
how about we just agree not to talk about judo at all because it doesn't work

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

This is just retarded and should be ignored by everyone.

Increasing speed is certainly possible, but don't you agree that the upper limit different people can reach is pretty different?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Second kettlebell workout with a fellow instructor! One of the best things is how loose and limber your whole body feels after. Although I sometimes suspect she is actually trying to kill me, instead of helping me work on my core, I was lying on the floor in puddle of my own sweat at one point.

Re: speed, I, too, think there's a certain upper limit. My punches are like bazillion times faster than they were six years ago but I know my body will never co-operate with me to the extent I become a Tyson no matter how many tens of thousands of punches I throw and explosive pushups I perform.

Edit: when training for speed remember guys, when your muscles become tired you are not training for speed anymore. Throw, say, a series of six straight punches as explosively as possible then rest your arms until they are back to 100%. You know how sprinters train? Yeah, they don't run as fast as they can for as long as they can, instead they do a 100 or 50 meter sprint at full speed, then rest for 10 minutes, have a drink and chat about chicks or something. Then they do another sprint.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 17, 2011

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Increasing speed is certainly possible, but don't you agree that the upper limit different people can reach is pretty different?

I do agree that everyone has a genetic limit.

But, the idea that it is possible to increase your foot speed but basically impossible to increase your hand speed is just silly.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Seriously are we going to have that loving argument again? It really hasn't been that long... We also just had an argument about aikido and who would win between Bruce Lee and Tyson (seriously? What was that)... I think we had enough stupid arguments in the last few pages.

Thoguh post was all in plain English with only the name of specific techniques in Japanese. Is he suppose to loving describe every technique or just come up with his own English names for them? I'm pretty happy he didn't since I'm not a native English speaker and that's much clearer to me.

Thoguh posted:

Left sided drop ippon from a right handed grip is one of my favorite techniques. I like to set it up with a Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi with my right foot. If they sprawl back with both legs the left sided drop ippon is wide open. If they just do a small step back then I like to continue through with my momentum into a Harai Makikomi.

Thanks, will definitely try that. I have great hope of the ko-soto in particular and it will give me another direction to throw people in. I'm already pretty big on hiza guruma on the collar grip side as a "force them to move" technique, I'll try to combo it with harai makikomi. This should all be fun!

tarepanda posted:

It really was. Have you seen the size of those guy? And he just flew like a feather.

Paul Pot posted:

:ssh:

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Paul Pot posted:

I only got into judo so I could say "WICKED DROP SEIO, BRAH" and not feel like a douche about it.

But seriously, the english translation doesn't help me at all:

Thoguh posted:

Left sided one arm shoulder throw from a right handed grip is one of my favorite techniques. I like to set it up with a Lifting Pulling Ankle Block with my right foot. If they sprawl back with both legs the left sided one arm shoulder throw is wide open. If they just do a small step back then I like to continue through with my momentum into a Spring Wrap-around Throw.

I also really like to do Minor Outside Hook on the side with the collar grip, especially late in the day when people are getting tired. If you can get an angle on them and then trap the leg with the Spring Wrap-around Throw, pretty much all you have to do is push and fall down with them.
I still had to look up the techniques on judoinfo.com. Also, almost all the clubs only teach the Japanese names of the throws so it's also a problem of judo players not knowing the English translation.

Thoguh posted:

I like to set it up with a Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi with my right foot.
holy poo poo that was a wicked sasae tsurikomi ashi, brah.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
two of the guys i train bjj with fought in a local, amateur mma event. they both dominated lol. a rear naked choke in like 1:30 of the first and referee stoppage due to strikes from mount in the 2nd. what a blast, and goddamn some ignorant motherfuckers show up to watch fights, but whatever, the place was packed

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Here are some literal translations to show that this stuff is pretty much just as incomprehensible to Japanese people not in the know...

Left sided drop ippon -> left sided one arm shoulder throw -> Left sided drop one-point
Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi -> Lifting Pulling Ankle Block -> support-pulling leg
Left sided drop ippon -> left sided one arm shoulder throw -> left sided drop one-point
Harai makikomi -> spring wrap-around throw -> pulling wrap
ko-soto-gake -> minor outside hook -> small outside hook [This didn't really change]

You actually changed the ko-soto to a harai makikomi in the second paragraph, though. ;)

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
edited out since it's not worth discussing again.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 17, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

tarepanda posted:

Here are some literal translations to show that this stuff is pretty much just as incomprehensible to Japanese people not in the know...

Left sided drop ippon -> left sided one arm shoulder throw -> Left sided drop one-point
Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi -> Lifting Pulling Ankle Block -> support-pulling leg
Left sided drop ippon -> left sided one arm shoulder throw -> left sided drop one-point
Harai makikomi -> spring wrap-around throw -> pulling wrap
ko-soto-gake -> minor outside hook -> small outside hook [This didn't really change]

You actually changed the ko-soto to a harai makikomi in the second paragraph, though. ;)
ha, no wonder it didn't make sense when I tried to visualize the transition in English. drat this is confusing!

I think I'll just link the throws when posting about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
My worthless two cents is that it's 105% ok if Judo guys discuss Judo terms in Judo language? I mean, what the gently caress?

• Locked thread