Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I'm about 20% into the book.

Favorite scene so far

Janos Slynt getting his head chopped off with Longclaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

Favorite scene so far

The best part of that scene was the way it ended. Jon looks at Stannis. "What now bitch." Stannis nods and goes back into his castle.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

theblackw0lf posted:

Favorite scene so far

I literally read that part like 3 times because i was so stunned by it. The only other part I did that to was When Theon finds out the girl he's been feeling up since the shore is his sister Asha

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Page 826, WHERE is my bro Littlefinger? And Sam, with all the crazy Oldtown face-changey people? And Arya- one chapter doesn't cut it. I really hope the TV show gets to this point (lol not likely), just because I bet the show writers would fix the pacing. I look forward to some bigger nerd than me rearranging the chapters so that they're actually in chronological order. But seriously though I'm pretty sure Littlefinger ought to have something to say about all the crazy poo poo that's going down right now... AND YET!

I was super not happy about Dany's dragons- aka the main thing that makes Dany interesting- being chained up for over half the book. "Oh I can't control them! So I'm not gonna try to figure out how, I'm just going to lock them in the basement. That'll work great!" But ok Drogon tearing poo poo up in the pit was preeeeetty cool.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

DWD spoilers from probably 1/3 of the way through

My favorite part so far was when Davos is meeting with Manderly and one of the Frey's goes off about Robb being a warg and a pretender and an rear end in a top hat and the whole hall goes silent and chilly before Manderly agrees with him. And then you know that White Harbor isn't really for the Bolton/Frey/Lannister alliance. I thought that was a really good moment.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just started AFFC, was the dude in the beginning Jaquen H'gar? Why the gently caress is he in Oldtown?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just started AFFC, was the dude in the beginning Jaquen H'gar? Why the gently caress is he in Oldtown?

If you find out why, let us know!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Richman777 posted:

Why did you have to post this? I'm only like a quarter of the way through of A Feast for Crows and I just want to read ADwD. I always wondered why there weren't really any spoilers online (like on the wikis) for AFfC and it's because there's really not much going on.

Someone in here put it pretty perfectly: it does a great job at expanding on the personal narrative of the characters, characters that you may not have really thought had anything else going on which makes it at least somewhat enjoyable. However, I really don't feel like it's doing all that much for the plot that was really focused on in the first three. I'm hoping that a lot of it is setup but I don't want to wait 20 years to find out.

I thought that was fine after all the stuff that occurred in ASOS. The incredible, breathtaking prose and what is, essentially, a travelogue of Westeros, worked really brilliantly to provide some cathartic release from the previous novel. It is, after all, a feast for crows... the war's caused so much damage and settled, in a sense, and now people are scrabbling over the remains with no remorse or morality. Things need to slow down so the pieces can figure out where they need to go.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 15, 2011

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you want to know, it's a minor spoiler since you already figured it out long before other people do. That alchemist has the same face as the one Jaquen turned into at Harrenhal. So you're right, he is JH'g.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

bengraven posted:

If you want to know, it's a minor spoiler since you already figured it out long before other people do. That alchemist has the same face as the one Jaquen turned into at Harrenhal. So you're right, he is JH'g.

And at the end, he's Pate. Presumably, anyway.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

So I've got both AFFC and ADWD sitting here unread and I guess I should start on AFFC but ADWD looks reeeeaal purdy. Could I just start reading ADWD or would I be missing a lot?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
You'll miss quite a bit, actually. characters get their storylines continued because ADWD isn't fully coterminous with AFFC. It continues a bit beyond and AFFC characters pop back up and you'll have no idea why they're where they are.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Conduit for Sale! posted:

So I've got both AFFC and ADWD sitting here unread and I guess I should start on AFFC but ADWD looks reeeeaal purdy. Could I just start reading ADWD or would I be missing a lot?

The ending to some of the storylines from AFFC occurs in ADWD

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

If you're just reading through like I did I don't think you'll find AFFC as onerous as people who waited 5 years for it. I enjoyed it. It's the worst in the series and to me had a different feel than anything else, but I certainly didn't find it a slog.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

If you're dead set on starting ADWD, it should be fine actually. Just when you hit the first Cersei or Arya chapter (can't remember which of the two comes first, but both start around the halfway mark of ADWD or slightly thereafter), put down ADWD and read AFFC because their chapters won't make sense otherwise.

But for all the grief AFFC gets, it's not really all that bad. Arya's chapters in particular are drat good, as are Sansa's.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Alright, I guess I'll read AFFC. I'm not really that worried about not liking AFFC, it's just that ADWD is sooo pretty. I mean, look at those fuckin maps. drat.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
If you want to read Dance, stop at "The Watcher". Do not read that chapter. Now go read Feast. Then pick up at the Watcher. "The Watcher" is the first real chapter that continues the story past Feast and you will be spoiled for Feast if you read that part.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Out of curiousity, how far into the book is "The Watcher"?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Anyone in here follow A Read of Ice and Fire? Leigh Butler is a Wheel of Time superfan (like, she got into the dedication for the last WOT book entirely for fan stuff). She never read ASOIAF until now out of understandable hesitation to get into a relationship with another fat old bearded epic fantasy author. But now she's going through the books with commentary, and she's pretty funny and insightful. She's only like halfway through AGOT, and does 2 chapters a week so it's going to take forevvvver, but I find myself looking forward to her posts.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Out of curiousity, how far into the book is "The Watcher"?

About 2/3.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

From the end of the book, so you should probably read the rest, but...

Since he takes over as "Pate" at the end of the book, we can only assume that the faceless men were interested in whatever Marwyn is up to.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Anyone in here follow A Read of Ice and Fire? Leigh Butler is a Wheel of Time superfan (like, she got into the dedication for the last WOT book entirely for fan stuff). She never read ASOIAF until now out of understandable hesitation to get into a relationship with another fat old bearded epic fantasy author. But now she's going through the books with commentary, and she's pretty funny and insightful. She's only like halfway through AGOT, and does 2 chapters a week so it's going to take forevvvver, but I find myself looking forward to her posts.

So good. Thank you for posting this. I read through what's there just now and I'm amazed. This delivers so frequently, it's a joy to read. If I were GRRM, I'd probably tear up with pride at it.

Kinda like the 2girls1cup dudes must feel about spectacular reaction videos :)

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

bengraven posted:

If you want to read Dance, stop at "The Watcher". Do not read that chapter. Now go read Feast. Then pick up at the Watcher. "The Watcher" is the first real chapter that continues the story past Feast and you will be spoiled for Feast if you read that part.

No, it would be The Wayward Bride.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Rednik posted:

No, it would be The Wayward Bride.

Yeah, this is the first chapter that contains continuation of a Feast storyline, though it's admittedly one that dies off halfway into Feast.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I can't say I'm interested in these little characters in AFFC :\

I give no shits.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
AFFC has some of the most satisfying chapters in the series. It's worth reading.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can't say I'm interested in these little characters in AFFC :\

I give no shits.

It's all in all a good idea to read AFFC before ADWD anyway, because a few plotlines in ADWD will occasionally mention something happening in one of them and it's better to know what's going on there than be left in the dark.

I like AFFC well enough, though, so v:shobon:v

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

theblackw0lf posted:

AFFC has some of the most satisfying chapters in the series. It's worth reading.

Absolutely. 'Worst in the series' is a pretty loving long way off from 'bad' and even further off from 'not worth reading'.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

AFFC unfortunately kinda hit a perfect storm of being a bit of a breather story (especially after the events of ASOS), the only book in the series in eleven years, and not including a few of the favorite POVs. The middle one probably having the biggest impact on the reaction to it.

I'm really enjoying when the AFFC POVs come into ADWD; it makes the series feel more whole to have everyone together in one book. Plus I feel like I'm getting a real fifth book, and not just part II of AFFC.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 16, 2011

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
AFFC is worth it for pretty much all the non-mainland-Westeros chapters. I'm including the Dorne stuff in that (IE the Dorne chapters are fantastic).

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Here are the Westeros maps from ADWD, by the way, for those who wanted to see them -- my scanner is not incredible, so they're not fantastic. The North map gets blurry close to the Neck, the South map gets blurry over by the Narrow Sea, but hopefully they still give you an idea of what you're looking at.

URLing just in case some people don't want to look:

The North: http://i.imgur.com/knVEg.jpg
The South: http://i.imgur.com/m9LlJ.jpg

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 16, 2011

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
I just finished AFFC, and the book is entirely worth it just for the Cersei chapters. The whole series up until that point paints her as the dominant actor in the Game of Thrones, but then you start reading from her PoV and she's just this paranoid lady motivated by fear and spite rather than logic. She thinks that everyone else in the world is out to get her, so she dismisses every competent adviser that could actually stop her from following through on some of her crazier ideas. It's not until one of the Sansa chapters that you get a true read on how she's perceived by other "players" in the game, and that's as an unruly and unpredictable pawn, rather than a player herself.

And throughout the whole thing, she never stops talking about how smart she is, how she's the true heir to Tywin, how nobody else can match her ability to rule, etc. The realm's a wartorn mess that won't have food for winter, she's turned the church into a dangerous future enemy of her son, she's following Aerys's footsteps with the whole Qyburn "torture everyone" thing, and she's surrendered the lands of her main supporters to the Ironmen, but all she wants to do is assassinate Ned Stark's bastard on the Wall (who can't do a single thing to her from where he is), and get rid of her son's wife (because she's worried that Margaery might stop Tommen from turning into a giant monster like Joffrey was) It's glorious. The book starts with the reader considering her a competent, if power-hungry and ruthless, leader, but ends with the reader viewing her as an incompetent, sociopathic, paranoid crazy lady. I went in hating her, and ended up pitying her for the mess she's brought down on herself and her family.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 16, 2011

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Unemployment and the end of the first season of the show conspired to make me go out and buy all the books and read through them non-stop. I realized I'd been reading too much when I was making breakfast and started narrating in my head
code:
He broke his fast with toasted brown bread and eggs soft-boiled.  The broken yolks glistened wetly in the morning sun
My "Dance" reactions: So now Jon is dead, Arya may not even be Arya anymore soon, Bran is turning into a magic tree. Add to that Cat, Ned, and Robb being dead and we're down to only two Starks in play, and one is only five years old.

At first I liked the uncertainty, the idea that any character could die or change at any point, but GRRM has left way too many Chekhov's guns either melted down or rusting away cocked and ready to fire. At this point it seems like he's just stalling for time with a lot of characters. Many of the story lines feel like the seasons of 24 where they couldn't figure out what to do with the daughter so they had her bumbling from crisis to random crisis.

It felt like killing Jon wasn't just breaking with genre but being actively anti-genre for no real reason. We lost the only likable character I'd ever want to read a perspective chapter about currently in place I really want to read more about. I get why he killed the character but it provoked exactly the wrong emotional reaction. I wasn't sad that Jon died, I was just pissed off that GRRM killed him so randomly.

The way things are going I feel like by the end of the final book everyone who's had a perspective chapter will be dead, the dragons will be dead, and someone we've never met will be crowned in the final chapter.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Gangringo posted:

Unemployment and the end of the first season of the show conspired to make me go out and buy all the books and read through them non-stop. I realized I'd been reading too much when I was making breakfast and started narrating in my head
code:
He broke his fast with toasted brown bread and eggs soft-boiled.  The broken yolks glistened wetly in the morning sun
My "Dance" reactions: So now Jon is dead, Arya may not even be Arya anymore soon, Bran is turning into a magic tree. Add to that Cat, Ned, and Robb being dead and we're down to only two Starks in play, and one is only five years old.

At first I liked the uncertainty, the idea that any character could die or change at any point, but GRRM has left way too many Chekhov's guns either melted down or rusting away cocked and ready to fire. At this point it seems like he's just stalling for time with a lot of characters. Many of the story lines feel like the seasons of 24 where they couldn't figure out what to do with the daughter so they had her bumbling from crisis to random crisis.

It felt like killing Jon wasn't just breaking with genre but being actively anti-genre for no real reason. We lost the only likable character I'd ever want to read a perspective chapter about currently in place I really want to read more about. I get why he killed the character but it provoked exactly the wrong emotional reaction. I wasn't sad that Jon died, I was just pissed off that GRRM killed him so randomly.

The way things are going I feel like by the end of the final book everyone who's had a perspective chapter will be dead, the dragons will be dead, and someone we've never met will be crowned in the final chapter.

that someone will be Bronn.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

burf posted:

I just finished AFFC, and the book is entirely worth it just for the Cersei chapters. The whole series up until that point paints her as the dominant actor in the Game of Thrones, but then you start reading from her PoV and she's just this paranoid lady motivated by fear and spite rather than logic. She thinks that everyone else in the world is out to get her, so she dismisses every competent adviser that could actually stop her from following through on some of her crazier ideas. It's not until one of the Sansa chapters that you get a true read on how she's perceived by other "players" in the game, and that's as an unruly and unpredictable pawn, rather than a player herself.

And throughout the whole thing, she never stops talking about how smart she is, how she's the true heir to Tywin, how nobody else can match her ability to rule, etc. The realm's a wartorn mess that won't have food for winter, she's turned the church into a dangerous future enemy of her son, she's following Aerys's footsteps with the whole Qyburn "torture everyone" thing, and she's surrendered the lands of her main supporters to the Ironmen, but all she wants to do is assassinate Ned Stark's bastard on the Wall (who can't do a single thing to her from where he is), and get rid of her son's wife (because she's worried that Margaery might stop Tommen from turning into a giant monster like Joffrey was) It's glorious. The book starts with the reader considering her a competent, if power-hungry and ruthless, leader, but ends with the reader viewing her as an incompetent, sociopathic, paranoid crazy lady. I went in hating her, and ended up pitying her for the mess she's brought down on herself and her family.

It should be noted that Cersei was more competent before Tywin and Joffrey died. After that she became hilariously paranoid and deluded. There is a line in a Jaime chapter in Feast which is somewhat appropriate. It goes something like 'Cersei is competent enough, but she's rash and a horrible judge of character', flaws which were exacerbated when her first-born and her father were murdered by her little-brother.

Have anyone figured out how to properly merge Feast and Dance yet? I think both books would benefit from that.

seniorservice
Jun 18, 2004

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

Kainser posted:

It should be noted that Cersei was more competent before Tywin and Joffrey died. After that she became hilariously paranoid and deluded. There is a line in a Jaime chapter in Feast which is somewhat appropriate. It goes something like 'Cersei is competent enough, but she's rash and a horrible judge of character', flaws which were exacerbated when her first-born and her father were murdered by her little-brother.

Have anyone figured out how to properly merge Feast and Dance yet? I think both books would benefit from that.

Yeah just put all the jaime/cersei chapters in ADWD in AFFC because there was absolutely no reason not to.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Kainser posted:

There is a Reddit post attempting to do this, but it looks like there are a lot of errors still.

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/iq5b7/my_reading_order_for_a_feast_and_dance_megabook/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

Favorite scene so far

I just read this chapter and it was brilliant.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
WHOOPS I thought this was the other thread

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
About 26% of the way through and Baby Aegon! That was a big surprise. In fact that was an all round awesome chapter.

• Locked thread