Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Kazvall posted:

So I've been playing Team Fortress(quake) in Darkplaces. God drat, it's been since 1998. It's still amazing.

If anyone wants to play this, download tf2.8. Then, just search for quakeworld servers in darkplaces. I've mostly been playing co-op, which is insane.

I still need to download doomsday again if the internet issues have been worked out since 5 years ago. Does the doomsday website have most of the mods I'll need? Or, are there some awesome ones I'll miss?

I put up a server playing DoomFortress coop in Doom2 the other day. It never even occurred to me to play the original. I'm on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Oh man I just finished E1M1 with brutal doom and the 2011 soundtrack. This is going to be awesome.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Been playing Doom itself again recently too. I think that I finally agree with the people who say that Doom's map design is better than its sequel's. Everything in Doom 2 is so abstract compared to the more realistic-looking areas in the first game. Also all of the city stages just suck rear end. :colbert:

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

tooooooo bad posted:

Been playing Doom itself again recently too. I think that I finally agree with the people who say that Doom's map design is better than its sequel's. Everything in Doom 2 is so abstract compared to the more realistic-looking areas in the first game. Also all of the city stages just suck rear end. :colbert:
Yeah, the city stages are the low point of Doom 2 for me. Doom 2 has some great maps but I think Doom's maps have more consistent quality.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yeah when I play Doom 2 I just can't seem to ever get into it. I can see how they were going for a more complex and visually interesting style of level design but Doom's levels are for the most part just so much more simple and cleaner.

It's not nostalgia talking either because I've only gotten into Doom fairly recently, I've attempted to play Doom 2 lots of times but always just find myself replaying Knee Deep In The Dead over and over.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I just finished command control with Brutal Doom and I still cant believe that someone actually made doom doomier. This poo poo rocks.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I loved Quake mods that didn't require any special assets on the client side, like the original Threewave CTF. The flags were keys and the grapple was an axe which shot a vore ball with a chain of nails and THAT'S HOW I LIKED IT.

I especially enjoyed all the crazy singleplayer levels as CTF maps. gently caress all that symmetry bullshit that would end up taking over.

Half the fun was discovering these things by accident, because you were just joining a familiar server (by ip) and all of a sudden people were flying around and poo poo was crazy. And then the next day you'd join and you'd pick up a rune and you'd turn into a dog and you'd have a rocket launcher that fired dogs and there was negative friction.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Gooch181 posted:

I just finished command control with Brutal Doom and I still cant believe that someone actually made doom doomier. This poo poo rocks.

It really does, doesn't it? I was pretty skeptical about it at first, but pretty much every change and tweak (even the optional 'slowly regenerating health when very injured' module, which solves those 'I have 2hp and there's a zombie around the corner' moments) seems to be for the better. It modernizes things a little, and makes it feel even more solid and... well, Doomish!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Got a problem with 2011 soundtrack and Brutal Doom (using GZDoom here) and doom2.wad. Seems to work perfectly if i drag brutalgzdoomv010.pk3 and D2011MUS.wad to gzdoom.exe and then select ultimate doom. But if i select doom 2 instead, it'll use doom2 music (and brutal doom main menu theme).

I've tried to make a .bat file and load D2011MUS.wad before brutal doom in the line like this:
code:
gzdoom.exe -file D2011MUS.wad brutalgzdoomv010.pk3
This is the music wad im using: http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28330 but seems that is built for Risen3D. Wich music mod is ppl using with brutal doom for gzdoom/skulltag?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

It's only a replacement for music in Doom maps or custom maps that specifically ask for music from Doom. You'd need to modify the wad to get it to play in Doom 2 maps.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

It's only a replacement for music in Doom maps or custom maps that specifically ask for music from Doom. You'd need to modify the wad to get it to play in Doom 2 maps.

Aww i should have known that, thanks!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Did anyone else notice a weird bug in Brutal Doom where the first shot of the secondary fire for the Super Shotgun doesn't use up a round? I can get infinite ammo by just firing one shot then reloading it over and over. I was running it with another map pack at the time but I'm not sure if that would have caused it or not.

Oh, I also noticed sometimes the reload animation for a single shot just didn't play at all, but it only happened every now and then.

Running on whatever the latest Skulltag version is.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I'm also interested in some music wads for both Doom and Doom2. Recommendations?

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

treat posted:

I'm also interested in some music wads for both Doom and Doom2. Recommendations?

Mute in-game music, place entire Slayer discography on repeat in background? :v:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I'm actually looking for some wads tailored to suit the mood of each game. Alternatively, thrash/grind. I want some midi blast beats.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm also interested in a music mod. Also, something to make the guns sound a bit beefier would be nice. Searching for such a WAD without wading through tons of garbage is impossible.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
Oh hay, that's what I came to post. I'm working on a music mod and texture mod to give doom a new feel. Is this too out there to be e1m1? http://tindeck.com/listen/stkr

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Looking to finally play that Heretic that's been sitting in my Steam library forever but I'd like to play it in a window larger than what alt-tabbing the Steam version gives me. What source port would be recommended for that?

Sci-Fi Apocalypse
Feb 17, 2011

iastudent posted:

Looking to finally play that Heretic that's been sitting in my Steam library forever but I'd like to play it in a window larger than what alt-tabbing the Steam version gives me. What source port would be recommended for that?

Gzdoom or zdoom. Both support Heretic and Hexen since they are both Doom engine games. I just started playing through Heretic using Gzdoom and it works perfectly.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sci-Fi Apocalypse posted:

Gzdoom or zdoom. Both support Heretic and Hexen since they are both Doom engine games. I just started playing through Heretic using Gzdoom and it works perfectly.

To elaborate slightly:

GZDoom (latest SVN builds there) is the way to go, unless you're playing online multiplayer. Then you want Skulltag, which is a slightly older build of GZDoom but with much, MUCH better netcode.

Both are good for all Doom-engine games. Doom 1/2, Heretic, Hexen and Strife.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So, let's say I have been inspired by those videos of Brutal Doom and want to give Doom another try.

My checklist so far is:
- gzDoom
- Brutal Doom
- Doom 2011 soundtrack
- Doom itself

Am I missing anything? Would I be better off starting with Doom 2, or some particular fanWAD? Are there any texture/sprite upgrade packs I should grab?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Starting with Doom 1 is perfectly fine. The only real notable difference (in my eyes) is the lack of a double-barreled shotgun.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Quirk posted:

Oh hay, that's what I came to post. I'm working on a music mod and texture mod to give doom a new feel. Is this too out there to be e1m1? http://tindeck.com/listen/stkr

I like it :D

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Starting with Doom 1 is perfectly fine. The only real notable difference (in my eyes) is the lack of a double-barreled shotgun.

well, that, and the completely non-existent midtier for monsters

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
More rise of the triad love. To include dog mode.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

More rise of the triad love. To include dog mode.

Amazing. I'd never actually seen Dog Mode before.

Got this in the mail today:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So how can I get Skulltag going with ReDoom and a music WAD when me and a buddy play? I was under the impression that Doomseeker servers download them from the host automatically when they're required, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Mak0rz posted:

So how can I get Skulltag going with ReDoom and a music WAD when me and a buddy play? I was under the impression that Doomseeker servers download them from the host automatically when they're required, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Not from the host themself, but a repository of verified mirrors which host the wad. Wadseeker is the button right next to host server. If you can't find the wad you need with that, you'll have to download it yourself.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of ROTT, the Return Of The Triad TC for ZDoom's gotten a couple of updates, with several map fixes and now it can be run standalone. Pick 'er up!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fag Boy Jim posted:

well, that, and the completely non-existent midtier for monsters

I'm completely sick of playing levels/episodes Doom because I'm really tired of the tiny number of different enemies. Doom 2 had just about the right enemy variety.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

BattleMaster posted:

Doom 2 had just about the right enemy variety.

It also had the Mancubus, which is probably one of the best enemy designs in the world.

On the other hand, Doom 1 had the Cacodemon, which is for-sure the best enemy design in the world. :colbert:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

There's a rad new version of Brutal Doom out. You can now use the reload button to toggle your berserk fists between SMASH and RIP AND TEAR modes. Also, you can now pick up and throw barrels.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

You could already throw barrels, but there are a couple of new features (use injured imps as shields) and a bunch of bugfixes. It's all good stuff.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Brutal Doom is so awesome in every possible way. There isn't one thing I dislike about it. I just got it yesterday and after playing for 3 or 4 hours I accidentally hit the 'F' key. That was awesome.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

.Ataraxia. posted:

Brutal Doom is so awesome in every possible way. There isn't one thing I dislike about it. I just got it yesterday and after playing for 3 or 4 hours I accidentally hit the 'F' key. That was awesome.

Is specially awesome when you get an imp to try to hold its own guts, then you run closer... mighty boot its face and then you press "F".

Since i discovered brutal doom i've replayed Ultimate doom (gently caress you E4M2), TNT/Plutonia and Doom2.

Unreal related: the DX10 patch makes it well worth a replay, a goon server for Na-Pali coop would own, or even some DM/TDM will be nice.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Had a quick google around for Brutal Doom after all the excited chatter here - what's the latest version? There seem to be quite a few different outlets for it.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
brutaldoomv10b

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rather Dashing posted:

Had a quick google around for Brutal Doom after all the excited chatter here - what's the latest version? There seem to be quite a few different outlets for it.

Just bookmark this thread.. It updates when the mod does.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm fairly certain that I already know the answer but...

How does Half-Life hold up with today's games? I've never played all the way through the original Half-Life... However I did beat Half-Life 2 (and episodes 1 and 2)

Also, is "Half-Life" or "Half-Life: Source" the correct version to play? Are there any texture improvements mods or anything? (or should I play vanilla to get the original feel maybe, hmmm...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vinlaen posted:

I'm fairly certain that I already know the answer but...

How does Half-Life hold up with today's games? I've never played all the way through the original Half-Life... However I did beat Half-Life 2 (and episodes 1 and 2)

Also, is "Half-Life" or "Half-Life: Source" the correct version to play? Are there any texture improvements mods or anything? (or should I play vanilla to get the original feel maybe, hmmm...)

Half-Life has a pretty decent story and in my opinion excellent level design. I think Half Life Source has some slightly better handling of widescreen but that's about it.