Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Koops posted:

Learn by dying. When you die, think about what you did wrong, and don't do it again.

Don't grind unless you're really close to affording something. It will make the game tedious and less fun, and you'll get souls much faster by exploring new areas.

You're going to lose lots of souls. Don't stress out over it, you'll get more in no time. You can avoid losing large numbers of souls by spending as many as you can before going somewhere dangerous, and by only using the soldier's and hero's soul items when you're close to affording something.

You can do the levels in any order (after you beat the first boss). If one level is giving you too much trouble, another one might be more susceptible to your strengths, or you might find something that will help you in the level that was stonewalling you.

The Demon's Soul items dropped by bosses can be traded for unique weapons and magic. Don't use them unless you're sure they're no good to you.

If you have any specific questions, drop by the Demon's Souls thread. The vets there like to hear progress reports from rookies.

On this note, you can probably safely use the first Demon's Soul. It's only good for a purely PvP spear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

gravyflood posted:

On this note, you can probably safely use the first Demon's Soul. It's only good for a purely PvP spear.

And only if you want to be a dickhead

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

PrinnySquadron posted:

And only if you want to be a dickhead

Which you definitely want to be

Combat-Jack
Jul 16, 2009

Less yap, more ZAP

Dongattack posted:

gently caress, my character is Raven, whats wrong with Raven!

Their weapons have some of the worst stats in the game (I believe, there may be some people that can quote specifics) and generally they just have some of the least cohesive players. I consider it a great and holy day if I win two matches out of all that I have played.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
How about Persona 4? Keeping in mind this is my first Shin Megami Tensei game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

PlasticPaddy posted:

How about Persona 4? Keeping in mind this is my first Shin Megami Tensei game.

First SMT title? Oh goodie, I love these.

- First and foremost, all that poo poo you usually disregard in RPGs like buffs, weaknesses, etc. because they're really not that important? You will get curbstomped if you so much as try that poo poo here. Treat every fight like you could be wiped by it, because there is a very real chance that it could happen. Always go for weaknesses, and don't be afraid to go for status effects or put up a buff when necessary.

- Like all (or at least most) SMT titles, if the main character ever dies, that's it: Game over. And yes, there will be lots of instant death spells flying around, so having a weakness to light or dark is a terrible, terrible idea. There are single use items called Homoculous that will save you, but your party members will use them up if they get hit too, so best not to rely on them period.

- Don't get attached to your Personae. They take a long time to level up, and you're meant to get a good one for the dungeon, and then fuse them into something better once they start lagging. You can register then in the Compendium to resummon them for a fee, so they're not gone forever.

- What skills the Persona will inherit from fusion is randomized. By going back and forth you can change which skills it picks up, but bear in mind certain skills are just never going to show up depending on the Persona's properties. For example, Jack Frost is never going to inherit an Agi (fire) spell, no matter how long you try for it.

- The naming scheme of spells might throw you off at first, but it's pretty easy. "Ma-" as a prefix means it hits everyone. "Agi," "Bufu," "Garu," and "Zio" are your four basic elements of Fire, Ice, Wind, Electric (in that order), and "-la" and "-dyne" as suffixes are more powerful versions (think Fire -> Fira -> Firaga). So, "Mabufula" is a mid level ice spell that hits all enemies, and Garudyne is a high level Wind spell that hits one target. "Dia" is your healing, and "Hama" and "Mudo" are your light and dark spells, both of which are instant kill (in this game, at least)

Specifically for Persona 4:

- Don't worry about maxing all your social links in one cycle. Go with whatever, and on the New Game+ you can follow a guide if you really want to max everything.

- Get at least one level in all your party members' social links, because that will allow them to save you from a fatal blow once per battle. Going further will unlock additional benefits like follow-up attacks, and maxing their link will lead to something special and very useful.

- Two social links will be cut off in November, while the main game goes until just after Christmas. If you're doing them, don't delay too much on those two. (I believe it's Hierophant and Justice, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong)

- If you ever run out of steam in a dungeon, just use a Goho-M (you can buy them from the shop). It'll teleport you out and then you can resume on the same floor you left on when you come back.

- The hermit social link is a bit of a pain at times, but max it out as soon as you can. It'll drop the cost of recovering your MP from something ludicrous like 54 yen per 1 MP down to something like 6 yen per 1 MP after maxing it. The only other way to restore MP while questing is by going home for the day or chugging down MP items, which are either very rare or they only restore 5 MP at a time.

Artix fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 15, 2011

Funcrusher
Jul 13, 2011
Any tips for Shiren the Wanderer DS? The game does a good job of making you feel overconfident then kicking your teeth in. I know about the free riceball and using the warehouses to stash crap for your future adventures, anything else that might help?

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

Artix74 posted:

:words:
Wow. Thanks for that :)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Heran Bago posted:

Team Fortress 2 is free to play. Is the game newbie friendly or is it like Heroes of Newerth on free weekends? Is it okay to play as a few classes I like or should I really stick to just one?

From scanning the wiki I understand that in addition to cosmetic items there are ones with stat bonuses and very strong effects. Do I need to familiarize myself with the majority of items people use or can I come to understand them as I use them and see others with them in matches?

I would also like some very general tips please.
I've recently started writing a TF2 newbie guide... which is unlikely to be completed due to lack of time and because it will either have way too many words for anyone to read, or will skip way too much stuff of interest. However, here's a "how to Soldier" post - and soldier play will teach you a lot of the general TF2 fundamentals.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413825&userid=149775#post393137996

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Just started playing Yakuza 3, should i finish off all the Okinawa sidequests before returning to Kamurocho, or can you back at a later point?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Combat-Jack posted:

Their weapons have some of the worst stats in the game (I believe, there may be some people that can quote specifics) and generally they just have some of the least cohesive players. I consider it a great and holy day if I win two matches out of all that I have played.

Ok, that is the best tip i could get i think, i'll delete my guy and remake him into the dudes that wear garbage. Thank you!

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Polite Tim posted:

Just started playing Yakuza 3, should i finish off all the Okinawa sidequests before returning to Kamurocho, or can you back at a later point?

You can freely travel between Kamurocho and Okinawa right before the end of the game (they'll tell you when). You can put off the sidequests if you want to move on with the story.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
NWN2: Are Pale Masters still crippled compared to wizards/sorcerers? I think it used to be that they didn't get as many spells or something

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

unleash the unicorn posted:

NWN2: Are Pale Masters still crippled compared to wizards/sorcerers? I think it used to be that they didn't get as many spells or something

Pale Master is the same as ever, you get spells every other level in exchange for some really lovely abilities. Well the abilities aren't that lovely +6ac if I remember and immunity to critical hits but they are in no way worth the spells you give up. If you look up a prc pack you might a rebalanced version.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, it's really sad. Pale Master should be badass as hell, at least give them some necromantic spells every level or something.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks a lot for the TF2 tips guys.

Funcrusher posted:

Any tips for Shiren the Wanderer DS? The game does a good job of making you feel overconfident then kicking your teeth in. I know about the free riceball and using the warehouses to stash crap for your future adventures, anything else that might help?

Never bring your A game. Keep your super incredible sword in the warehouse. Bring your B game so it's not as bad when you die.
IDing things is important and making use of jars later. Be creative with your supplies and used ranged weapons and halls/bottlenecks to your advantage.

Helping random people online lower level than you with rescue requests isn't bad either, but it's almost always some kind of monster zoo at the that got them.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Spermando posted:

You can freely travel between Kamurocho and Okinawa right before the end of the game (they'll tell you when). You can put off the sidequests if you want to move on with the story.

I'll probably do some of them now just because i'm loving Okinawa, but it's good to know nothing gets locked out, i'm still fuming about the sheep in Nier

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Polite Tim posted:

I'll probably do some of them now just because i'm loving Okinawa, but it's good to know nothing gets locked out, i'm still fuming about the sheep in Nier

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of sidequests that can be permanently missed, but they're in Kamurocho.

Just make sure to really explore the town when you get the chance to show a friend around.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 16, 2011

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

NWN2

If Pale Master is crap is Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep any good? I made a wizard and have began taking levels in that and hopefully that isn't bad.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Pale Masters get spells at every odd level, including the first. Therefore, taking one level of Pale Master gives you the AC bonus without hurting your spell progression.

In addition, although Pale Masters are gimped in general, Wizards and Sorcerers are so insanely powerful in NWN2 that you can go all the way with PM and still win.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Decrepus posted:

If Pale Master is crap is Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep any good? I made a wizard and have began taking levels in that and hopefully that isn't bad.

I can't remember, but if you're still gaining spells every level then there's no disadvantage to using it (except maybe an epic feat for a pure caster class, but who cares about that).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I have a 3DS. Where should I start with Dragon Quest games?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
All the DQ games are extremely traditional turn-based JRPGs. Each one has a little gimmick in its gameplay system to differentiate itself from the others, so decide which sounds the most appealing. If you can't make any decisions for yourself then just play DQ5.

DQ4: You get a predefined party of characters with their own strengths and weaknesses. Before you use them in a party, you do a chapter with them solo to introduce them. It's a pretty interesting narrative mechanic for such a staid series.

DQ5: The main character grows from a child to an adult over the course of the game, and his children even become playable characters. You can collect and train wild monsters as extra party members, it's like Pokemon lite. This game has a very strong story and most people consider it the best of the DS DQs.

DQ6: You get a predefined party of characters, but this game has a job system. You will spend a lot of time training up your jobs to learn new skills and unlock new classes. The world map has a sort of Zelda light/dark world theme to it.

DQ9: You create your own characters from the ground up, and like DQ6 there is a job system. No random battles, monsters appear on the map like Chrono Trigger. The game is actually somewhat designed to be played multiplayer.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

All the DQ games are extremely traditional turn-based JRPGs. Each one has a little gimmick in its gameplay system to differentiate itself from the others, so decide which sounds the most appealing. If you can't make any decisions for yourself then just play DQ5.

DQ4: You get a predefined party of characters with their own strengths and weaknesses. Before you use them in a party, you do a chapter with them solo to introduce them. It's a pretty interesting narrative mechanic for such a staid series.

DQ5: The main character grows from a child to an adult over the course of the game, and his children even become playable characters. You can collect and train wild monsters as extra party members, it's like Pokemon lite. This game has a very strong story and most people consider it the best of the DS DQs.

DQ6: You get a predefined party of characters, but this game has a job system. You will spend a lot of time training up your jobs to learn new skills and unlock new classes. The world map has a sort of Zelda light/dark world theme to it.

DQ9: You create your own characters from the ground up, and like DQ6 there is a job system. No random battles, monsters appear on the map like Chrono Trigger. The game is actually somewhat designed to be played multiplayer.

Cool, thanks. I may try out 9 first since it's the most recent, or is there a more accessible one available since I have no experience?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
They are all very accessible and simple to play. If you have ever played a JRPG you will be familiar with the game mechanics. I would advise against choosing 9 simply because it is the newest.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 16, 2011

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
DQ3 (the GBC rerelease especially) is a beautiful little game, portable, and the last DQ game to give you real control over your party. I love it so.

Also, because I've got nothing better to do...

Dragon Quest 3
-Everyone should be female. Always. They have access to better personalities and exclusive gear.
-Sexy is, nine times out of ten, the single best personality in the game. And with the few characters it isn't (mostly just Warriors), Amazon usually is. Both are female-exclusive.
-Bring a Cleric and a Mage for your first game. Your last slot should be either a Fighter, a Warrior, or a Dealer. You'll need a Dealer later on, so if you don't want to have to grind someone up, go with a Dealer. It's not a terribly huge issue, though, so don't feel obligated.
-NEVER use a Jester in your starting party. They can turn into something much better in late-game, but don't use them until you feel you can reliably grind them up to level 20.
-You get the opportunity later on to change any character's class. This resets them to level 1, and halves their stats. If you're :sperg: enough to meticulously plan it out, it can result in some ridiculously powerful characters, but otherwise, you probably shouldn't bother.
-Going with fewer party members (or even solo) is a completely legitimate strategy, though somewhat more dangerous than having a full party.
-Don't be afraid to A) grind or B) use magic during normal fights. Inns are ridiculously cheap.

Magicka
-Play with some buddies, you lose out on a lot if you play it solo.
-Don't try to use electricity magic when you're wet. Put yourself out with a self-cast (middle click) fire first. The opposite applies, as well, but generally speaking, being wet is much more dangerous than being on fire.
-Self-casting shield gives you a barrier that prevents all magic (friendly and otherwise) from getting in. Use it wisely.
-Beams (Arcane) are amazing. Just don't cross the streams (unless you're being very careful to all use the same elements, in which case, cross away.)
-Elements combine in interesting ways. Try things out.
-A combination that's worthless when cast one way can become absolutely gamebreaking when cast another.
-Earth (x3) + Cold + Shield can buy you some time to think.
-When you're low on health, spam Earth + Life and middle click.
-You will meet a large, fast enemy type late game who will chase you down and insta-kill you. Use water, then cold to freeze them solid, then use Speed and run like hell.

Just Cause 2
-Play on Normal or Casual. Any harder, and the game will quickly become frustrating bullshit.
-Never buy what you can steal. Unless you've modded in free Black Market or Infinite Funds. In that case, knock yourself out.
-Don't bother scouring every village and base for 100% of every item. There's far more upgrade parts and money than you'll ever need, anyways.

Terraria
-Listen to what the Guide has to say.
-If you click "Crafting" when you talk to him, and drag a Material item into the blank slot, he'll show you everything you can make with that item, and the required materials. This is a godsend. Be sure to exploit it for all it's worth.
-Get a piggy bank as soon as you can afford one, and carry it with you everywhere. It keeps your money safe, and provides 20 inventory slots for the price of one.
-Every piggy bank on every world links to the same 20 slots. This is useful for transferring things between servers and giving yourself access to certain items from anywhere, but it also means that carrying 100 pigs will give you no more inventory space than 1.
-When you're underwater, don't forget to breathe. You don't make any special noise when you start to drown, and it's very easy to accidentally kill yourself by not noticing when you've run out of air.
-Don't be ashamed to "waste" resources like metal. Even a Small world has more stuff in it than a single player will probably ever use. And worst-case scenario, you just start a new world, and strip-mine that, too.
-This isn't Minecraft, Gold is the best equipment you can get for a while.
-Chests often have really cool stuff, don't neglect searching caves for them.
-Hammer breaks background objects, and dirt walls have to be broken from outside-in.
-As soon as you find some Mushroom Grass seeds, build yourself an extensive underground mushroom farm. Glowing Mushrooms heal 50 HP a pop, are a key ingredient in upgrading potions, and are dime-a-dozen once you get a good farm set up.
-Don't eat regular mushrooms (Heal 20 HP), combine them with bottles (Sand -> Glass - > Bottle at a furnace) and gel to make healing potions (Heal 100 HP)
-Once you're strong enough, collect Fallen Stars at night. Combining ten of them nets you a Mana Crystal, which boosts Maxiumum MP by 20. (This is the only way to increase max MP.)
-The HP equivalent are only found underground.
-Angel Statues really are worthless.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 16, 2011

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Colon V posted:

tips

Thanks! I've added this stuff to the wiki.

It's all so nicely formatted as well! :swoon:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Centipeed posted:

Thanks! I've added this stuff to the wiki.

It's all so nicely formatted as well! :swoon:
Could you add something to the Alpha Protocol section?

-Pressing E when you have Chain Shot lined up cancels the aiming without wasting it. Very handy when you accidentally trigger it at the wrong time.

Some guy in the Alpha Protocol thread figured it out just a while ago and it would have saved me SO MUCH annoyance if I knew when I started playing.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Xander77 posted:

Could you add something to the Alpha Protocol section?

-Pressing E when you have Chain Shot lined up cancels the aiming without wasting it. Very handy when you accidentally trigger it at the wrong time.

Some guy in the Alpha Protocol thread figured it out just a while ago and it would have saved me SO MUCH annoyance if I knew when I started playing.

FFFuuuuuuuuuccccck that would have been useful so many times. I can't tell you how many times I thought I had a clear shot, used it, and loving stand up with a god drat box in the way.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Colon V posted:

-The HP equivalent are only found in gundeons.

No, you can find these anywhere once you hit the underground caves.
Also, only build your houses out of gold and silver if you want to have the shiniest house ever.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Decrepus posted:

Arcane Scholar is a great prc. You don't don't lose any caster levels and it makes metamagic cheaper to use which is a huge deal. It also gives you some metamagic feats so you don't have to buy them. The only downside is you have to spend two feats on skill focus concentration and spellcraft which are kind of pointless since you should be dumping points into those anyway. Just remember to use metamagic. Its especially good on those missle spells, the ones that look like a super magic missle. I can't remember the name but those do a lot of unavoidable damage. In the OC its worth empowering your fire spells because those hurt the undead a lot.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 16, 2011

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lord Banana posted:

No, you can find these anywhere once you hit the underground caves.
Fixed.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I picked up Front Mission: Evolved on the cheap, expecting a kinda crummy Armored Core (classic style) game. I haven't had a chance to pop 'er in yet, though.

Also, has anyone played SaGa Frontier 2? I loved the first, and I found the second for cheap. But from what little I played, it seemed entirely different from what I'm used to from the SaGa series. (No Sparking, :wtc:) Any tips?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

S-Alpha posted:

Front Mission: Evolved

I'm very sorry.

S-Alpha posted:

SaGa Frontier 2

- Actually, sparking does still exist, but only in the traditional SaGa fashion during standard party battles. In the duels, you have to input the right sequence of moves and hope. In both cases, it'll look at your ability with the weapon as a prerequisite before it even rolls the dice. Anything that does AoE damage has to be sparked in the traditional manner, and can't be used in duels. The 'Solo Action' role will let you spark more often, but reduce the chances of your character comboing.

- I guess I would suggest doing Gustave's scenario first, then Wil's. Gustave's scenario has much less focus on magic and some unbreakable equipment, so I find it a little better for getting to grips with the game.

- In Wil's scenario, the first mission is 'Wil's Departure'. You have to go into the ruins and return with a magical piece of equipment. You can abort right after you get the first, but you'll find things much easier if you try to clear the place out.

- Pay attention to the roles you unlock (you get a new one every new character you unlock) - some of them are extremely useful, especially if you like polarising your characters.

- Westia has one of the more accessible repair shops in the game, and also has an innkeeper that will let you take stuff from anyone who's been in your party at least once, even if the plot dictates they should be dead.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Stelas posted:

I'm very sorry.

Like I said, it looked like the pre-4 (aka good) AC games. I don't know how bad it may actually be, but, hey, :10bux:

Stelas posted:

- Actually, sparking does still exist, but only in the traditional SaGa fashion during standard party battles. In the duels, you have to input the right sequence of moves and hope. In both cases, it'll look at your ability with the weapon as a prerequisite before it even rolls the dice. Anything that does AoE damage has to be sparked in the traditional manner, and can't be used in duels. The 'Solo Action' role will let you spark more often, but reduce the chances of your character comboing.

Huh, I haven't run into that yet. Well, whatever. It's not like I've been in a lot of battles, and I'm used to starting SF1 with Red, meaning I get at least one spark in the first battle.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Soul Glo posted:

Cool, thanks. I may try out 9 first since it's the most recent, or is there a more accessible one available since I have no experience?

I find unlocking some of the classes in DQ9 to be a complete pain in the rear end. Just a warning that there will be some frustration once you start doing that unless you're as patient as a saint.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Evil Genius:
* Practically Required Mod: The Weapons Permit Mod. The base game will only arm your minions with ranged weapons if your base is on alert. Because your enemies use ranged weapons, it can get a bit annoying to see dozens of your minions cut down before they can land a punch. This mod has them always equip weapons.
* Not a Practically Required Mod, but a very practical one: A Better Red Ivan. By default, Red Ivan has a weapon that does more damage to your base than enemies. A similar Super Agent has a somewhat similar weapon. Switching them around saves you a lot of friendly fire.
* Don't bother with Disguised Doors for the main entrances to your base, if at all. If the door will have a lot of people going in and out, the door will be open practically all the time. Sometimes, the Place-Where-Social-Minions-Escort-Pacified-Enemies spot (which you can't change) will be placed on top of said door.
* When you're first going through the game, you're offered a mission to capture a maid. DO NOT DO THIS IMMEDIATELY. As long as said target is unmolested, you can send minions out into the world to steal money without risking reprisal. When I play the game, I always carve out a large barracks and vault, send a ton of minions to steal, and watch a movie or two whilst the cash flows in. It's a far easier game to manage if you're sitting on a few million dollars, rather than having to do so later. After getting enough gold, recall your minions, wait for your Heat to go down to zero, THEN do the mission I've spoiled. One warning: do not do the Act of Infamy in Cuba before the spoiled mission. It has such an innate Heat rating that it pegs the meter and will not drop.
* Max (the short, Blofield-looking Genius) is the worst one, because his benefit is bugged and unfixed. He's supposed to save you money when researching. He actually doubles the price of researching.
* The larger each Genius's Stat-Boosting Ring, the less effect it has. Alexis's is huge and boosts stats slowly. Asian Guy's (cant remember his name) is tiny but boosts stats quickly.
* Never have a Genius taunt/mock a captured Super Agent. The mechanic is designed to immediately break free if done, if memory serves.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Evil Genius:
* Never have a Genius taunt/mock a captured Super Agent. The mechanic is designed to immediately break free if done, if memory serves.

Just like real life/movies, then! :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Evil Genius:

However if tell the Genius to taunt a super agent, they can't break out until the animation is finished. You can use this to your advantage by telling your genius to taunt, then canceling it before he gets there, moving the genius away, then repeating.

Lord Kane's Smooth Operator is similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-

S-Alpha posted:

Front Mission: Evolved

Here's some tips.

- There are a bunch of item pickups in the stage, some of which are Emblems and Sensors. Finding them (Emblems) and destroying them (Sensors) will give you new decals to use when customizing your Wanzer and cash for every 5 you destroy respectively. Sometimes this get's you a battle skill. On foot sections have little disks that you can also blow up for cash. If your OCD about 100% collection, then follow this guide.
- In the first boss fight you'll have to just dodge around and blast away at the boss as much as possible to fill your E.D.G.E meter, this games equivalent of bullet time. In this mode you move quicker and do much more damage than usual. The moment the E.D.G.E bar gets to 25% use it and a cutscene will activate. After this point the boss can be hurt. Don't forget to abuse your missile launcher.
- Boss fights will always have respawning ammo and health pickups.
- You can go back and do missions again for cash and achievements. Anything sensor or emblem you destroyed/picked up will be remembered so you don't have to go back and get them all over again.
- Battle skills are acquired via achievements. None of them are necessary though.
- If you don't have the Agility Backpack equipped, you can only boost forward.
- Plenty of missions will have a requirement for body parts and weapons on your Wanzer. Most of them are simply leg restrictions and long ranged weaponry.
- Shields work by using the arm it's equipped arm and protects you from most damage, and your shoulder weapons can still be used while they're protecting you. holding the button let's you do a shield bash. It might be me, but I don't recall the game ever telling me this.
- The difference between upgrading and downgrading a weapon is the number next to the weapon. If it doesn't have "-" next to it's value, it means your downgrading. Downgrading will net you cash though. I spent the first four missions downgrading my Wanzer each time before I realized what was going on.
- During on foot sections, your health will regenerate over time and your guns don't overheat. If you use the machine-gun, you'll never run out of ammo thanks to copious amounts of enemies having them. Melee attacks and grenades are 1 hit kills on all infantry, and grenades will do a decent amount of damage on everything else.
- Don't worry about using E.D.G.E. It builds up quickly enough and sometimes it can make a difference between death and getting past a particularly annoying section.
- Don't bother trying to destroy a boss's arms or legs. I've personally never managed to destroy one and all it does is lower their accuracy and their movement speed.
- If you die during any time in the mission, you'll be given an option to go back to the Hanger and rebuild your Wanzer. Instead of making you restart the mission entirely, it just sends you back to the latest checkpoint with your new Wanzer.

If anyone else here has played the game, feel free to correct me.

Also, can anyone give me any tips on Elona? The rougelike, not the flash game in which I shoot animals for hours.

Warren fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 17, 2011