Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ohwandernearer posted:

Just put a fresh pair of distanzias on the DRZ :20bux:

Should I be wary of them before I start flogging it again? I have heard so many mixed messages concerning the break in of tires. Are they likely to provide compromised traction in the initial phase of wear?

I dig the look, either way.

Just work up to high levels of lean slowly, so you're not on new rubber all at once. There's no mold release but the surface of the tires is very uniform and not great for traction until it scuffs in. Lots of hard braking and hard acceleration to get things hot and then work up your lean angle bit by bit until they're all scrubbed in and you're good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Is this as good of a deal as it appears to be?
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/2486059939.html

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Yes, very much so!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

frozenphil posted:

If you like fun? Absolutely. Super low mileage, cheap, and stock (which is really important on these bikes as retards slap pipes on them with no idea what they're doing). If you want a supermoto, that is an amazing one at a great price.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

mattfl posted:

Yes, very much so!

Z3n posted:

If you like fun? Absolutely. Super low mileage, cheap, and stock (which is really important on these bikes as retards slap pipes on them with no idea what they're doing). If you want a supermoto, that is an amazing one at a great price.

I don't have the money right now; still need to put the 250 up for sale. :(
I was just browsing tards in my area on craigslist and thought that seemed like a really good deal. I'm just trying to decide on what to get next and since I'll be living in downtown Birmingham for at least another year, I thought a tard would be fun to own while I live in the middle of a city.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I don't have the money right now; still need to put the 250 up for sale. :(
I was just browsing tards in my area on craigslist and thought that seemed like a really good deal. I'm just trying to decide on what to get next and since I'll be living in downtown Birmingham for at least another year, I thought a tard would be fun to own while I live in the middle of a city.

It's the ideal city bike, and that's a great deal on one. It might last for a bit, it might not. Take a small loan until you sell the 250, it'll be worth it. Switch it to map 2 as well.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 13, 2011

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
a local craigslist ad for a 690 made me laugh. He says "Yes it has seen rain. Yes it has been wheelied (it EXCELS at this)."

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/2490430864.html

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
Jesus christ bikes in the USA are cheap... 6k for a 690? really?
Equivalent bike here would be 11,000 USD.

$6000 USD in AUD dollars is like $5700 :(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Aww, 690 love :3: Bring it in guys

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

What's the opinion on 690sm's over the smc? I kinda dig the real loving ugly look and they seem to be a bit cheaper than smc's in Australia.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

It's the ideal city bike,
Agreeing with this. Supermotos are awesome in the city.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Yautja posted:

Jesus christ bikes in the USA are cheap... 6k for a 690? really?
Equivalent bike here would be 11,000 USD.

$6000 USD in AUD dollars is like $5700 :(

I know dude. I so want one but I don't have €7500 lying around. :(

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Yes frozenphil, that DOES look like a good deal. :ninja:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

frozenphil posted:

Sure once I settle for a CRF a 690 pops up. Just go buy it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Coredump posted:

Yes frozenphil, that DOES look like a good deal. :ninja:

Oh god, you're going to do it again aren't you?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Oh god, you're going to do it again aren't you?

No I wouldn't want you to murder me. Plus I'd have to leave a note to the police I had it coming.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'd drive to Georgia for that

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Funny, z3n and I had a lengthy discussion about this yesterday. We came up with the idea that moving about 70 miles an hour, he would have hit the ramp and traveled up approximately 2 feet, leaving the falling distance at roughly 4 feet.

Figure that the upward momentum followed by the fall took about 1.5-2 seconds @ 88 feet/sec traveling at 60MPH. So somewhere between 60-80MPH sounds about right for 150 feet given the assumption that he had 1.5-2 seconds of air time.

:science:
When I read the story just now, in the comments section, the folks that stopped to help him related that they were slightly under the speed limit, when the rider passed them - presumably riding right around the 75 MPH limit - when they crested a hill, and whammo. The rider had no place to go (but up!)

He was ATGATT. *yay*

A couple people did some rudimentary physics, and came up with a 12* ramp at 75 MPH as being most likely. A 15* ramp launches the bike 189'.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since we have so many 690 fans here, one of them needs to post the 690 equivalent to this video. The video that makes you simultaneously say "holy poo poo supermoto" and "holy poo poo 690".

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

Since we have so many 690 fans here, one of them needs to post the 690 equivalent to this video. The video that makes you simultaneously say "holy poo poo supermoto" and "holy poo poo 690".

I'd like to take this moment to curse ContourHD and their lovely unreliable cameras for losing hundreds of hours of potentially awesome film.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GoPro supremacy :smugdog:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Phat_Albert posted:

well, there is this, except it's more "holy poo poo, husky"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KEXI5GHoUI

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Slim Pickens posted:

well, there is this, except it's more "holy poo poo, husky"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KEXI5GHoUI

KTMs are too heavy to jump like that. :smug:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

KTMs are too heavy to jump like that. :smug:
A kid on a KTM 65 could outjump your Husky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-DmDAX0bIo

(Skip to 2:10 if you're lazy and hate kids)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
A 90 foot table on dirt is a lot different than a 90 foot jump to flat on asphalt haha. Props to both these kids (that 65 must have been loving screaming around that track).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

JP Money posted:

A 90 foot table on dirt is a lot different than a 90 foot jump to flat on asphalt haha. Props to both these kids (that 65 must have been loving screaming around that track).

Only in terms of the abuse you put on your suspension ;)

Besides, the KTM's lighter than the husky anyways.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

A kid on a KTM 65 could outjump your Husky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-DmDAX0bIo

(Skip to 2:10 if you're lazy and hate kids)

Now lets see him reg it for the street (and get a DL license). :smugbert:

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
those kid's bikes dont have the travel to soak a flat asphalt landing like that.
Any other KTM other than the KTM 950/990s could do it

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

frozenphil posted:

gently caress that is a screaming deal. If my scholarships go through for next years tuition within this next week, I might be driving from savannah to buy me a supermoto.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

This poo poo is never ending with my local place and their regs. Safety wire is required on everything. How the hell am I supposed to safety wire a masterlink clip? They're talking about the chain right? Also new is "heat resistant" catch cans, which means I have to spend $100 on them instead of making my own. The rules also call for numbers on the bike and your loving name on your loving race suit...I'm really going to assume that is just for racing. I'm going there tomorrow, without my bike, and getting the straight poo poo and maybe get kicked out too. :argh:

Whitesnake_2!
Oct 6, 2008

by T. Finn

Gnaghi posted:

This poo poo is never ending with my local place and their regs. Safety wire is required on everything. How the hell am I supposed to safety wire a masterlink clip? They're talking about the chain right? Also new is "heat resistant" catch cans, which means I have to spend $100 on them instead of making my own. The rules also call for numbers on the bike and your loving name on your loving race suit...I'm really going to assume that is just for racing. I'm going there tomorrow, without my bike, and getting the straight poo poo and maybe get kicked out too. :argh:

Rivet style master links.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Speaking of catch cans? What all gets routed into one? I assume carb overflow, crankcase breather, coolant overflow and something else? All the ones I see have four barbs.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Whitesnake_2! posted:

Rivet style master links.

Ok, so one more thing. Mine is clip style right now but the chain is toast anyway.

henne posted:

Speaking of catch cans? What all gets routed into one? I assume carb overflow, crankcase breather, coolant overflow and something else? All the ones I see have four barbs.

I'm really not sure about routing them all into one. I haven't found anyone that does it. The 4 barbs you're talking about I'm guessing are for the multiple carb/gas lines for the fuel catch. This is what I'm looking at that's throwing me into a rage. I need all three of these I think. Gas, coolant and crankcase. That's $160.

I don't really understand why a crankcase can would be required either, as mine routes right into the airbox. New rules are no bottles, even though their own "track prep" vid has little bottles ziptied all over the bike. No silicone on bolts either so gonna have to find a drill press for the bolts. Never ending.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
So, I sold the DRZ I had to fund the Husky SM610 that I bought a few months ago. I've since sold the Husky because I never really loved it. And now I'm back looking for another DRZ. I'm looking at plated E's and SM's. I know the power on the E's is awesome and I'd like to get on but I'm concerned about the forks.

How much difference do the USD forks on the SM make?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Well after going to check out my local track it seems like safety regs are indeed quite a bit more relaxed on track then the website would lead me to believe. Still I'll spend the money and fix up the bike proper since it's really there for a good reason and I'll be starting a new job anyways as soon as I accept the offer.

I didn't stay all day but for the few hours I was there I saw what seemed like a low speed crash between two bikes coming over a hill. Turns out the guy broke his leg in two places. :ohdear:

On the other side motocross was running and the few crashes they had on dirt at roughly the same speeds had them always getting up and riding away.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
I really shouldn't do this, but how bad of an idea is this? Best price I've seen on one in my area by far, anything I should look out for?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2498723875.html

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

sw0cb posted:

I really shouldn't do this, but how bad of an idea is this? Best price I've seen on one in my area by far, anything I should look out for?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2498723875.html

Tires will run you about 300 bucks give or take how much your shop rapes on install. If the handguards are just brush guards they are totally useless - guards with an actual metal bar in them are much better at protecting you from drops / hand-breaking objects. I can't tell if that exhaust is a full system or if the header is stock and wrapped up.

That's a really good price if it checks out - better than in my area for sure. Be wary that maybe something is up since they're such high demand bikes. Maybe I worry too much but I usually take the "if it's too good to be true...." approach to be safe.

They're pretty solid bikes, not too much to worry about I guess. Take it for a spin, make sure it rides ok. Check the dipstick for any glaring problems after the ride. Give the wheel bearings a check. If he's already at 3000 I'd show up and ride it then offer like 27.5 / 28 and see if he bites. Needing tires is usually a good negotiating point.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
Does anyone make bolt on flush mount signals for the DRZ? I guess I could just give up on running signals entirely.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ohwandernearer posted:

I guess I could just give up on running signals entirely.

That is what I did on my DRZ after it rattled off the third set. Not even going to have the controls or run the wires on the CRF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are there any good reviews of the 690 SMC available online? At this point the DRZ is a known quantity, it'd be interesting to read some reviews online of the 690 that arent youtube comments.

• Locked thread