Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Cull posted:

No glamour shot, but here's my Buell Lightning.

Really love this bike---so fun to ride. Only issue I've had is that it likes to eat fuel pump fuses and I have yet to figure out why. Only happens when it's really hot out.

Modifications I've done: took off the stock mirrors :colbert:

I really like that blue. Is the windscreen the same hypermetallic finish as the tank, or is it translucent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Got back to riding after 8 years. 2006 R6.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Cull posted:

Really love this bike---so fun to ride. Only issue I've had is that it likes to eat fuel pump fuses and I have yet to figure out why. Only happens when it's really hot out.

Nice, I think Buells are the perfect street bike. I was looking at the Ulysses when I was shopping last. Decided it was too tall and I kind of regret it.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Cull posted:

Gorg bike! I remember sitting on one of those two years ago at the local bike dealer. Your gas tank reminds me of the Aliens action figures I had when I was younger, which brains you could see through the transparent plastic head :3:

sirbeefalot posted:

I really like that blue. Is the windscreen the same hypermetallic finish as the tank, or is it translucent?

The gas tank covering is translucent. :v: awesome stuff.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Way2slow posted:

Hey R6, buddy! Nice choice.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

the walkin dude posted:

The gas tank covering is translucent. :v: awesome stuff.

You mean the airbox covering don't you? fuel's in the frame

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Gnaghi posted:

Buell!! :argh:

I don't even know what I'm looking at anymore.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Cull posted:

I don't know what exactly it is, but the XB9's seemed a little better for the street, might have been the gearing. 50 mpg with aggressive riding is pretty nice too. And the translucent plastics on yours was one of the coolest visual things they did.

Shanky
Jan 22, 2002

Way2slow posted:

Now we can match. (friend's s100rr in background)

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

n8r posted:

I'd be worried about your a/f mixture going to pods. Just a thought.

Yeah, on those 1000DS engines if you touch the airbox or exhaust it pretty much has to be remapped or an expensive Ducati ECU/Exhaust system package (Termis usually).

With just my Quat-D exhaust it was running really lean, with the pod filters and no remap I'm not even sure it would run at all. I had a spare ECU mapped to my specs a few months ago and it's been running like a champ ever since I removed the airbox.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Cull posted:

Only issue I've had is that it likes to eat fuel pump fuses and I have yet to figure out why. Only happens when it's really hot out.

Don't know if this helps, but my Firebolt was blowing fan fuses like crazy. I traced wires looking for a short to no avail. Eventually my fan died altogether, and once i replaced it it never blew another fuze.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Gnaghi posted:

:monocle: my bad.

hmm, translucent frames.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
New project.... a 1979 KZ1000 E-1 (shaftie)

This is going to be one ugly bobber, my fabricator is already bitching about the shaftieness of it. I love old shafties though, the things are bulletproof.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 9, 2011

Cull
Feb 20, 2005

Bear attack!

sirbeefalot posted:

Thanks, I do too. I was torn between the (you-can-never-go-wrong-with) all black or the blue, but blue's kinda my favorite color.
Both translucent. It's fun when people walk up and look at the "tank", and puzzle over it.

stormangel posted:

Don't know if this helps, but my Firebolt was blowing fan fuses like crazy. I traced wires looking for a short to no avail. Eventually my fan died altogether, and once i replaced it it never blew another fuze.

Yeah it's weird. I've done a bunch of googling and it does seem that there are other Buell owners with fuse issues---and various theories---but nobody ever seems to figure out what the problem is.
It's annoying, but I've gotten to where I'm like a F1 pit crew when the fuse goes. I can coast to a stop and have the seat off, fuse replaced and seat back on in about 30 seconds. :)

clutchpuck posted:

Nice, I think Buells are the perfect street bike.

I love being able to see everything, and be seen. But mostly I love the agility and handling; I'm a pretty conservative/defensive rider but she moves like a hummingbird when I ask her to.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A Duck! posted:

Yeah, on those 1000DS engines if you touch the airbox or exhaust it pretty much has to be remapped or an expensive Ducati ECU/Exhaust system package (Termis usually).

With just my Quat-D exhaust it was running really lean, with the pod filters and no remap I'm not even sure it would run at all. I had a spare ECU mapped to my specs a few months ago and it's been running like a champ ever since I removed the airbox.

Where'd you get the battery cradle, or did you just cut off all the airbox part and leave the original battery holder? Mine's already re-jetted for an open-top airbox, so if I ever decide to go for pods I don't think I'd have to change much.

Also, that Quat-D exhaust is rad.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

Where'd you get the battery cradle, or did you just cut off all the airbox part and leave the original battery holder? Mine's already re-jetted for an open-top airbox, so if I ever decide to go for pods I don't think I'd have to change much.

Also, that Quat-D exhaust is rad.

On mine ('07 S2R 1000) it was a cradle that holds the ECU. My pod stuff came from TPO and pretty much just worked without modification.

Cleans up the underside of the tank area quite a bit, and makes it sound better I think.

And yeah, the Quat-D Ex Box is awesome. :V It was the first thing I wanted to get and ended up finding my bike with it already.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

clutchpuck posted:

I guess after a while rocks and bugs stopped bothering me so much. The only time I think about em is for the 5 seconds of smart after I catch one. Except for locusts... never forget.

But seriously, windscreens are at home on Goldwings and Electra Glides. Street bikes don't need em unless it makes them look cooler.

:colbert:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

orthod0ks posted:

:colbert:

The Versys is exempt because there is literally nothing, outside of fire, that can improve the looks of that lump.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

frozenphil posted:

The Versys is exempt because there is literally nothing, outside of fire, that can improve the looks of that lump.

My mom says she's cute.

Giraffe of pain
Jul 9, 2011

by Ozmaugh

orthod0ks posted:

My mom says she's cute.

We need pictures of your mom and her trailer in the swamp.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

orthod0ks posted:

My mom says she's cute.

Not valid since your mom probably says you're cute too. :iceburn:

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Doctor Zero posted:

Not valid since your mom probably says you're cute too. :iceburn:

And she rides a Vulcan 500. Laaaaaame

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The rolling stock as of today. Got one more bike, cowering inside the garage, but as it's not rideable right now it's not in the pic (but it's also a Suzuki, what else).

naem
May 29, 2011

I really have to post this to get it out of my system, I believe these photoshop filters capture the depth of my emotions sitting on this thing.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
You forgot the lens flare.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Mr. Happy...is. Sorry, it'd be decades before this ever got wedged into the wildcard thread.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

Mr. Happy...is. Sorry, it'd be decades before this ever got wedged into the wildcard thread.

It would've looked really cool if you had lined up where "mr happy" intersects the sign in the background so the words line up - kinda like oversized scrabble

code:
     C
CAR WASH
     R

W
     A
     S
     H

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Aargh posted:

It would've looked really cool if you had lined up where "mr happy" intersects the sign in the background so the words line up - kinda like oversized scrabble

Absolutely! Now that's a challenge, particularly since "w" would be 4 pts x 2. Actually, that was kind of a tough shot to get right there, as he's normally flailing around.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Marv Hushman posted:

post the video of you riding it through the carwash.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

AnimalChin posted:

post the video of you riding it through the carwash.

Tempting, but it appears to have been done quite a bit already on youtube--the stationary vehicle/moving machinery type, obviously. Lots of folks all too willing to sacrifice seals and whatnot. Once had a service shop power wash my bike and knock the idle adjust screw to, I dunno, SKY HIGH. Interesting couple of stop lights and launches, as I recall.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Sadly I don't own this anymore. It started life as a 97 KDX200. I wish I had a before picture. And please excuse the awful 5 year old cell shots.

After I stripped it down.

And its pile of parts that I took off.

I replaced the stock front end with one off of a 2003 KX250. Here it is being fitted.

I also did the sprockets, chain, all the plastics but the tank, put a new pipe and silencer on it, reeds, new kick lever, tires, and covered the seat.

Then I rode it once, found out my girlfriend was pregnant, and sold it. :( The worst part is, the guy that bought only wanted to tear it down for parts.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
A couple days ago in the discussion thread:

redscare posted:

I'm getting dangerously close to finding a way to buy a Harley XR1200 or maybe even a regular Sportster 1200.

Please help.

Today:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

redscare posted:

Today:

Another CA Sporty. COUNT IT.

Although this one actually has a suspension. Please tell me what that's like.

Nice choice, enjoy.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry for the derail, but who's that guy who keeps getting permabanned with the message 'blaster of justice'?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

-Troika- posted:

Sorry for the derail, but who's that guy who keeps getting permabanned with the message 'blaster of justice'?

Blaster of Justice was his original username. He's a Scandinavian fellow whose knowledge is, unfortunately, matched only by his arrogance.

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
here is my chinese monkey knock off, tonight I installed new shocks, swingarm, and tires. Woo!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bucephalus posted:

Blaster of Justice was his original username. He's a Scandinavian fellow whose knowledge is, unfortunately, matched only by his arrogance.

Don't forget the grumpiness and huge Sigtrap mancrush which he expresses by repeatedly pissing him off.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

redscare posted:

Today:

I really, really want one of the new fuelie Sportsters. Very nice!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

redscare posted:

Hot rod sportster club +1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Having finally sold my '09 Ninja 250, I recently upgraded to an '06 Ninja ZX6R. It has custom paint, Power Commander, full front to back Yoshimura RS-5 exhaust, GPR Stabilizer, and a bunch of litle goodies like LED taillight and flush mount turn signals. This is the first bike I've ridden besides my 250, and all I can say is WOW.