Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vampirate
Apr 12, 2011

by T. Finninho
I have been playing Haven and Hearth and Project Zomboid. I am basically looking for a survival sim. If it is zombie or post apocalyptic even better.
E: already played fallout and it doesn't fit what I am looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The Vampirate posted:

I have been playing Haven and Hearth and Project Zomboid. I am basically looking for a survival sim. If it is zombie or post apocalyptic even better.

UnReal World or Stranded 2 are pretty fun.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Funso Banjo posted:

Take on helicopters looks great. I'll try it out.

Dunno if maybe DCS Black Shark would be your thing either.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Dunno if maybe DCS Black Shark would be your thing either.

I never heard of this, so I did some searching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q_XNf4elAI

Holy poo poo! I am eager for a sim, but I think that may be too much sim for me. Though it sounds as though there are less realistic modes.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 15, 2011

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah, it looks pretty intense. They've done an A-10 simulator as well, which again looks awesome but punishingly realistic. I may try it anyway on the basis that any sim that lets you unload that 30mm cannon on the Warthog cannot help but be awesome.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hey can anyone recommend me some good 2-player PS2 games? I don't care whether they're co-op or competitive, just as long as the multiplayer is really tight.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Vampirate posted:

Have you played Robinson's Requiem? Here, have a video of somebody atempting to kill themselves in numerous ways. You can get the game on GoG.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Palpek posted:

Have you played Robinson's Requiem? Here, have a video of somebody atempting to kill themselves in numerous ways. You can get the game on GoG.

Its sequel Deus is considered to be better and less unforgiving, though I haven't played either of them myself.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Myron posted:

Its sequel Deus is considered to be better and less unforgiving, though I haven't played either of them myself.

I've played a little of both, though not enough to really form a strong opinion about them. Deus is easier to control, at least, since it's polygon based and handles in the more familiar quake style of mouse looking, while Robinson's Requiem has a rather awkward control scheme - there's a Let's Play you can look at to get an idea about what it's like.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

The Ninth Layer posted:

Hey can anyone recommend me some good 2-player PS2 games? I don't care whether they're co-op or competitive, just as long as the multiplayer is really tight.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 if you want a co-op adventure that's sort of like the midpoint between D&D and Gauntlet.

The Red Star for a hybrid beat-'em-up/shooter heavily inspired by Treasure games like Guardian Heroes and Radiant Silvergun.

Raiden III for a vertically-scrolling shmup.

Art of Fighting Anthology if you like the more slow, deliberate style of fighting games that you don't really see anymore. Art of Fighting 3 is especially a favorite of mine as it incorporates gameplay elements more associated with 3D fighters like Virtua Fighter, and has some of the most gorgeous and well-animated sprites I've seen.

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology has a co-op mode called Dramatic Battle that's a ton of fun, for all the SF Alpha games in the collection.

Also the Capcom Classics Collections, particularly the second one as that's the one with Quiz & Dragons, which is a 2-player trivia game with RPG elements that's indescribably fun.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 16, 2011

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

That was exactly the kind of post I was looking for, thanks a ton! Gonna swing by Gamestop and see how many of those games I can grab.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to query the games forum for an idea of a game to play co-op with my wife while im stuck out of town at work for a month. We've been playing terraria and after a couple of hours of digging a hole and nothing new happening we both kind of get bored so I think we need some structure.

It needs to be a PC game, hopefully something with a story, and not too difficult to play since my wife is a girl after all. Ideally it would be available to download on steam or something similar.

Any ideas?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I love customization in games. Like, good crafting and building and modifying can never entertain me enough.

Any suggestions of PC games that'll run on an Intel GMA965? I've been meaning to get into Torchlight, so I've got that for a while, but I'm wanting to play something with a lot of depth in customizing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SmokeyXIII posted:

Any ideas?

Most people can get into the Worms games. I haven't played any recently so I can't really say which is the best one to get. Can someone chime in on this?

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Recommend me a good isometric rpg that's not BG,IWD,or NWN,or PS:T. Im thinking TOEE but I want one with a decent story/plot too.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Recommend me a good isometric rpg that's not BG,IWD,or NWN,or PS:T. Im thinking TOEE but I want one with a decent story/plot too.

Have you played Fallout 1/2?

Or if you're going specifically for fantasy, there's Arcanum, which is also quite good. All of them are available on GOG.

The Aftershave
Jun 24, 2007
No, no snap.
I'm looking for a game like Sid Meier's Pirates or the Space Rangers games. Any ideas?

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
My laptop poo poo the bed so I'm rocking it old-school with a 2.4GHz P4 and 64MB GeForce4 MX at the moment. I'm looking for a good multiplayer FPS that will run on this old-rear end hardware, but it has to be noob-friendly and not populated entirely by seasoned veterans who will blow my head off within five seconds of spawning. Any recommendations? Free is always a plus. I have Half-Life so mods for that are also an option.

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl

moms pubis posted:

My laptop poo poo the bed so I'm rocking it old-school with a 2.4GHz P4 and 64MB GeForce4 MX at the moment. I'm looking for a good multiplayer FPS that will run on this old-rear end hardware, but it has to be noob-friendly and not populated entirely by seasoned veterans who will blow my head off within five seconds of spawning. Any recommendations? Free is always a plus. I have Half-Life so mods for that are also an option.

Wow 64 MB haha. Maybe try skulltag or other doom wads? I mean most old FPSs that are still played are exclusively played by veterans so I don't know if you have a whole lot of options.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

a japanese pop icon posted:

Wow 64 MB haha. Maybe try skulltag or other doom wads? I mean most old FPSs that are still played are exclusively played by veterans so I don't know if you have a whole lot of options.

That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll see if anyone wants to play some Skulltag Invasion with me or something. Thanks.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Most people can get into the Worms games. I haven't played any recently so I can't really say which is the best one to get. Can someone chime in on this?

Worms: Armageddon is considered the best but the recent Worms: Reloaded is also very good as it comes back to the roots and plays like Armageddon. Do not play 3D Worms even under a threat of death.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I'm after a PC pirate (coop if we can) game. All of the ones I can find are rubbish, or older then jesus. East India Company looks alright, but its a strategy game more then action, and I'd rather action.

We're about to try Buccaneer out, but I don't hold high hopes for it. If anybody knows any better ones, that would be great.

Cheers in advance.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Palpek posted:

Worms: Armageddon is considered the best but the recent Worms: Reloaded is also very good as it comes back to the roots and plays like Armageddon. Do not play 3D Worms even under a threat of death.

Worms: Armageddon was good but also really buggy. Worms Reloaded also seems to be balanced slightly better in regards to weapon damage. Get the new one.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Cardboard Fox posted:

Can anyone recommend me something that's like the old Gran Turismo games? Gran Turismo and Gran Turismo 3 are my favorite racing games of all time and I've had trouble finding modern racing games appealing after playing the early GT series. My problem is that I want fun driving, huge car customization and a giant career mode all in one game. I've tried GT4, but just found the mechanics of the driving too boring. I really like the driving mechanics in Dirt 2, but you can't customize cars and there really is no huge career mode like there was in the GT games.

So basically:

-Fun, arcade style racing. Too much simulation turns me off. I loved bouncing off walls in GT and GT3 just to turn the corner.

-Huge career mode. GT3 had a massive track and event selection where you had a garage of cars and you could do special events with specific cars.

-Massive car customization. Again, like in GT3.

-Either on PC or PS3.

Need for Speed: Shift (1 or 2) should be right up your alley.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
I've been playing a lot of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 for the N64 and now I want to play something similar for the 360. I'm a sucker for character customization and open worlds.

edit:
I do acknowledge that I'd be hard pressed to find a better skateboarding game, so I'd like the best skateboarding available for the 360.

Serious Michael fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 17, 2011

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
I'm looking for a squad based, encounter type game, similar in play style to an SRPG, but in more western format. Think Jagged Alliance, Blood Bowl, or Fallout Tactics. Something with progressive advancement, leveling of some kind, and hopefully with some loot or money based equipment mechanics.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
If you have a 3DS, the Ghost Recon game for it might be what you're looking for. It was also made by the same guy who made X-Com (You've played X-Com, right?).

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Category Fun! posted:

If you have a 3DS, the Ghost Recon game for it might be what you're looking for. It was also made by the same guy who made X-Com (You've played X-Com, right?).

Sorry, I don't have one, and yes, I've played (extensively) X-com.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
Ive played worms but never too seriously, isn't there next to no story in the games? also I can see my girl getting frustrated by the game.

Any other ideas for a coop online PC game thats easy to play with a story?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

SmokeyXIII posted:

Ive played worms but never too seriously, isn't there next to no story in the games? also I can see my girl getting frustrated by the game.

Any other ideas for a coop online PC game thats easy to play with a story?

Portal 2?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Have you played Fallout 1/2?

Or if you're going specifically for fantasy, there's Arcanum, which is also quite good. All of them are available on GOG.

Seconding the recommendation for Fallout 1/2, I've only played 2 but it's pretty good if you can stomach the graphics/lack of sound for most things/turn-based combat/being made in 1996. I think they're available on Steam. I picked up Fallout 2 for five bucks from a used book store.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dalaram posted:

I'm looking for a squad based, encounter type game, similar in play style to an SRPG, but in more western format. Think Jagged Alliance, Blood Bowl, or Fallout Tactics. Something with progressive advancement, leveling of some kind, and hopefully with some loot or money based equipment mechanics.
While it's a fairly ancient game, Incubation might be worth looking into as I think it meets most of your criteria. It's even available on GOG with the other Battle Isle games for a mere :10bux:!

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Serious Michael posted:

I've been playing a lot of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 for the N64 and now I want to play something similar for the 360. I'm a sucker for character customization and open worlds.

edit:
I do acknowledge that I'd be hard pressed to find a better skateboarding game, so I'd like the best skateboarding available for the 360.
Skate 2. The Skate series has essentially supplanted THPS as the top-dog skating series, and so far Skate 2 is the most well-rounded of the series.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Thauros posted:

Looks potentially interesting, but I noticed there was a newer version named Evochron : Mercenary. Is the older version supposed to be better?

Way late with the reply, but I didn't even know they'd come out with a new one. Someone else suggested Merc, though, so I'd go with that, if you haven't already.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

If you're still looking Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks was pretty good.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

moms pubis posted:

Skate 2. The Skate series has essentially supplanted THPS as the top-dog skating series, and so far Skate 2 is the most well-rounded of the series.

I couldn't find Skate 2 so I settled for Skate 3. The different trick system is a bit getting used to but I'm having a blast.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I am looking for a game that I can have a nice power trip on.

Prototype, Infamous, Hulk:UD, and Spider Man 2 are great examples of what I'm looking for, and I even got some enjoyment out of Spider-Man: Web of Shadows (I don't think I could handle a good-guy run of that game, though). Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy had some really great moments (other than the mission which forced you to use guns). Batman: AA was a lot of fun, but I'd like it to be a little more comfortable with collateral damage.

I enjoy games where the characters are mostly self-sufficient. Once Kyle Katarn got his lightsaber, he really didn't need anything else. Alex Mercer could use a gun, yes, but only if you felt like it.

Oddly enough, Supreme Commander brought out a lot of this feeling, especially once the armies got really, really big. A targeted air-raid on strategic defenses followed by 10 nukes was tremendous fun (Supreme Commander 2 felt much smaller in scale in comparison). I'm usually not a fan of RTS games, but the resource system for Supreme Commander and the being able to change the rate of time in the game made it a lot more entertaining. So, if the game is a power trip, but isn't a Third Person Superhero Type Game, I may still be interested.

Right now, I've got an Xbox 360 and a PC. My PC isn't the best, but it's able to run things like Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Fallout: New Vegas on the lower graphical settings.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Gharbad the Weak posted:

If you can play it, I'd recommend True Crime: New York City.

It's old, and a little glitchy, but the bad cop power trips are truly marvelous.

Planting drugs on some random jerkoff that called you an rear end in a top hat is priceless.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

The Aftershave posted:

I'm looking for a game like Sid Meier's Pirates or the Space Rangers games. Any ideas?

tehsid posted:

I'm after a PC pirate (coop if we can) game. All of the ones I can find are rubbish, or older then jesus. East India Company looks alright, but its a strategy game more then action, and I'd rather action.

We're about to try Buccaneer out, but I don't hold high hopes for it. If anybody knows any better ones, that would be great.

Cheers in advance.

On the pirates side of things, both of you may wish to try out Port Royale 2. It's only 2 years old and currently £3 on steam. I have no idea why because its the most ridiculously fun game I've played in ages (already sunk a shocking 35 hours into it):

-Contains piratey sea-combat very similar to sid meier's pirates
-Contains a port-side RTS element where you can create buildings to produce your own trading goods
-Contains one of the best trading mechanics I've seen in a game to offload these goods around the carribean (can be fully automated if you're more combat inclined)
-Goes above and beyond to develop all the juicy diplomacy/dueling/town invading/governor's-daughter-wooing (if thats your thing) that Sid Meier's had
-Bit more geared towards trading than sid meier's pirates is, but they've actually made it really fun so this isn't such a bad thing, and you can certainly focus entirely on combat if you want to (you would be missing out though)
-Fairly steep learning curve, but there are some excellent in-game tutorials

It's alot like an intelligible X3 set in a pirate-era carribean, or as if someone took everything that Sid Meier's Pirates had to offer and just carried on building more gameplay elements around it. For £3 on steam its a total bargain, I promise its a fully developed game.

Negatives:
-It is unashamedly a strategy game, not an action game
-No co-op play
-Encourages the player to operate inside the law (e.g, for the sake of ease you're more likely to find yourself as a Dutch privateer than a full-blown pirate)
-Might have to be a bit of a nerd to enjoy it as much as I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Gharbad the Weak posted:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a powertrip monster and one of the few movie tie-in games except for Chronicles of Riddick that are actually good on their own.

It's no Jedi Outcast but it lets you power-push electrocuted stormtroopers into chasms with full-blown physics so it counts - The Force Unleashed (the first) is worth a try.

Just Cause 2 - you should definitely try this one if you enjoyed wreaking havoc in Prototype and Infamous.