Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is there a good guideline for getting a face to look like a face? I've gotten down the majority of a body, the eyes, mouth, etc, but the shape of a face is driving me crazy. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
buy a drawing anatomy book that goes over proportional canons

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Not sure if this is the right place/thread but I have a flash question.

I have a flash animation(that someone else made) in After Effects in order to do some effects that aren't possible in flash.

The thing is, whatever engine AFX is using to render the flash file is rendering the vector art 'too' sharp so any zooming/scaling (in flash) results in buzzing on bitmaps and aliasing on high frequency vectors.

Is there any way to configure the flash 'renderer' to use a softer sampling? I can't seem to find it.

The other brute force solution would be to render out at a higher res and scale down.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Not sure if this is the right place/thread but I have a flash question.

I have a flash animation(that someone else made) in After Effects in order to do some effects that aren't possible in flash.

The thing is, whatever engine AFX is using to render the flash file is rendering the vector art 'too' sharp so any zooming/scaling (in flash) results in buzzing on bitmaps and aliasing on high frequency vectors.

Is there any way to configure the flash 'renderer' to use a softer sampling? I can't seem to find it.

The other brute force solution would be to render out at a higher res and scale down.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "buzzing", and to clarify: are you scaling this in AE at all, or just letting the SWF play at its native size?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

gmc9987 posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "buzzing", and to clarify: are you scaling this in AE at all, or just letting the SWF play at its native size?

Buzzing as in aliasing on a fine texture thats being scaled. I'm not scaling in AFX at all. The zooms are all done in the swf.

Its pretty much aliasing. The way the swf is being rendered is just too sharp. It is sub sampled but as soon as you put motion on it like a zoom or scale, its very noticeable.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Does anyone have an idea how one would go about making a one way mirrored visor? I have a pretty clear idea on how to make the rest of the Seva suit from Stalker but this visor is giving me trouble. I first had an idea to use car window tinting on this clear acrylic lamp post globe I plan on cutting into the proper shape, but so I'm told, it doesn't stick properly. A lot of the info I'm getting on Google is giving me motorcycle helmets and replaceable stick on tinting for them.
This is the effect I'm going for, or at least close to.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Buzzing as in aliasing on a fine texture thats being scaled. I'm not scaling in AFX at all. The zooms are all done in the swf.

Its pretty much aliasing. The way the swf is being rendered is just too sharp. It is sub sampled but as soon as you put motion on it like a zoom or scale, its very noticeable.

Ahh, I get it now. Sorry, I can't help - I thought you were describing something happening while the SWF was scaling.

lostatsea
Oct 23, 2005

Set Yourself On Fire

Shaocaholica posted:

What's the workflow here? I get that the animation was made in AE and now it's playing back in Flash. How is it getting from AE to Flash (conversion settings, format, etc)?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
If I'm laying down pencils before I ink, how far into the B pencils can I go before the clay content in the softer lead pencils fucks up my inks? I was thinking of using pencils from B to 6H. Can I use 2B or 4B safely?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Oh God! I need to make an invoice!

I need to get paid for a one-off freelance design gig. I already signed the contract and filled in their tax form and everything. The guy asked me to "write up some sort of invoice" and I really don't know what that means. What should I do?

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
Open up word and use one of their invoice templates, or look for one on the web.

The only thing you probably won't know is "Terms" and that just means how many days before they make payment. Typically is 30 (one month), or immediate. You probably want immediate.

They just need it for their record keeping poo poo so they can tie a check to a bill.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
This is a thing:
http://billable.me/

This isn't legally binding, etc.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Beat. posted:

Open up word and use one of their invoice templates, or look for one on the web.

The only thing you probably won't know is "Terms" and that just means how many days before they make payment. Typically is 30 (one month), or immediate. You probably want immediate.

They just need it for their record keeping poo poo so they can tie a check to a bill.

I found a template in Acrobat. Thanks--"Terms" is what would have confused me.

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.
If you mention a brand name and/or show their logo in a feature film, you don't need permission to do so as long as it's being shown in a way that isn't slanderous. Am I correct? I have done a little research on this but I just wanted to make sure I have it right.

(We shot alternative takes just in case.)

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

CloseFriend posted:

If I'm laying down pencils before I ink, how far into the B pencils can I go before the clay content in the softer lead pencils fucks up my inks? I was thinking of using pencils from B to 6H. Can I use 2B or 4B safely?

Softer pencils will actually repel ink, so I wouldn't go too far down the B scale.

And I know this is pretty old, but:

CloseFriend posted:

I did have some more questions. I can't seem to do any fills without some paper warping. I use 100 lb. bristol (both plate and vellum). I've been using Higgins Eternal with about 20% Speedball Super Black ink. Am I laying on too much ink or do I need different paper? I've noticed it's worse when I use pure Speedball Super Black ink. Is it just a thing that happens with darker ink?

There is always going to be some warping no matter what the paper is. However, you can just press it under a couple of heavy books for a day or so (or use a hot press if you have one handy) and it'll be pretty flat.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
is line drawing take seriously as an artform?
i.e. http://i.imgur.com/2m0xM.jpg
could i take this anywhere, possibly abstract art?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Pepsi-Tan posted:

i.e. http://i.imgur.com/2m0xM.jpg

You could if you start using the Shift key.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

pipes! posted:

You could if you start using the Shift key.

poo poo son that's some relevant art advice. Thanks, that helps so much now that I'm typing with proper capitalization and punctuation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Pepsi-Tan posted:

poo poo son that's some relevant art advice. Thanks, that helps so much now that I'm typing with proper capitalization and punctuation.

That was smart.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Pepsi-Tan posted:

Sassing the mod is an incredibly wise and productive career move.

To actually answer your question: yes. The most prominent line-drawing artist I know of is Hugh MacLeod.

The first thing you'll want to do, though, is clean your linework up. The scratchy back-and-forth drawing works in sketches, but for finished work you don't want those jagged edges. Otherwise, the line art that I've seen work well is entirely non-representational, but you may find that representational art works just as well.

The key, though, is this: there is a market for anything if you play your cards right.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is lighting tandoori chicken on fire for presentation a "thing"? I thought I remembered a local Indian restaurant doing it when I was a kid, but I can't find any reference to it on a quick Google search. Maybe it was another dish and I'm mixing them up?

e: Haha, wrong small questions thread.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 16, 2011

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Is lighting tandoori chicken on fire for presentation a "thing"? I thought I remembered a local Indian restaurant doing it when I was a kid, but I can't find any reference to it on a quick Google search. Maybe it was another dish and I'm mixing them up?

I could see a Surrealist or even Dadaist presentation based around serving chicken on fire, but you're probably looking for the general Q&A thread in Goons with spoons.

lostatsea
Oct 23, 2005

Set Yourself On Fire

Pepsi-Tan posted:

I always felt that art is whatever you make of it. I wouldn't be concerned if there is a pre-existing niche for this. Just create good work and the rest should take care of itself.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -