Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005
NonSequar got me this account for no damned reason.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Now clear some space people. Be prepared for a sweet Rube Goldberg machine using sexy sexy camera gear. What's everyone's favorite part? Mine is probably the reflector chain reaction or the Ok-Go homage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpxd8hzOcQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpxd8hzOcQ

Needs more fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8fpPf7Y0g

Also, I need to find the full version of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Marman1209 posted:

Needs more fire.

It's called The Way Things Go.

And here's the whole thing.

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005
NonSequar got me this account for no damned reason.

William T. Hornaday posted:

Sweet, I've only ever seen the whole thing on a really bad VHS tape of Alive From Off Center. Thanks.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
I know this seems non sequitur, but if any Austin area goons are looking for a studio space in which to shoot/work check out Sendero Studio. I am interning here for the summer working on scanning/cleaning the negatives of my mentor. All of the co-owners are documentary photographers. It just opened this past May

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

somnambulist posted:

I like it more then the pet portraits that won, oh well *kicks dirt*

FWIW I think it's a lot better than the pet portraits that won too.

Oh man, a dog against a gray backdrop with a ringflash. Enthralling.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I finished post and cropping on a lot of pictures for my students to buy. After one round of printing, I realized that the Japanese standard is slightly smaller and (more importantly) a different aspect ratio from what my camera and Lightroom are set to. Greaaaat.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

William T. Hornaday posted:

Thanks for posting that. It was quite interesting.

I think filming something like that would be a good application for that HDR movie camera that was linked to before.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

tarepanda posted:

I finished post and cropping on a lot of pictures for my students to buy. After one round of printing, I realized that the Japanese standard is slightly smaller and (more importantly) a different aspect ratio from what my camera and Lightroom are set to. Greaaaat.

Really? That's surprising, considering the two biggest digital camera companies are Japanese.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
The Japanese standard is 89 × 127 mm (10:7), American is 102 × 152 mm (3:2), my camera is 4:3.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Does the Dorkroom have a hangout on IRC?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

tarepanda posted:

The Japanese standard is 89 × 127 mm (10:7), American is 102 × 152 mm (3:2), my camera is 4:3.

Well, there's my "learn something new every day" tidbit.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Mightaswell posted:

Yeah, it's #creatives on synirc.net

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Mightaswell posted:

Last I checked, #creatives @ irc.synirc.net.

Which I have exiled myself for out of shame because I have yet to rap Jay-Z's 99 Problems

e;fb

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Marman1209 posted:

Needs more fire.

the whole thing is shown at the lobby of my office. when they first put it up, people who watch it through their lunches.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
http://vimeo.com/26297793

This reminds me of those View-Master disk of yore.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

let Papa Flash demonstrate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR0SxnJbz7c&hd=1

Full movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUZwFrGzQGw&feature=related&hd=1

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 15, 2011

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

rear end is my canvas posted:

http://vimeo.com/26297793

This reminds me of those View-Master disk of yore.

This is pretty great actually

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Whatever happened to the photo contest that we used to have on here? That was a good exercise and fun community thing to shoot for.

We should have those again!

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

EatinCake posted:

Whatever happened to the photo contest that we used to have on here? That was a good exercise and fun community thing to shoot for.

We should have those again!

I would definitely be interested in something like this. I need to practice more, but run out of motivation somedays, and it would be cool to see a bunch of different takes on the same subject.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The problem was that people (myself included) would vote for really obscure themes just to see what everyone else could come up with. This drove down the number of entries to less than a handful sometimes sort of making the whole exercise pointless.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
There was a big problem of no one participating, usually due to people voting for subjects that where far too restrictive. I think they could work if the topic was really general like "red" or "water" or something simple that is open to interpretation and maybe if the duration was a month instead of 2 weeks.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I vote for "stuff".

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
  • objects
  • light
  • color

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I vote for "attractive girls with little to no clothing" theme.

e. seriously I'd also like to see a "challenge" competition just for the newer photographers. Stuff could range from "take a portrait of a stranger" to "only use f8 for a day to see what you can do to handle that limitation"

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Maybe just start with some simpler themes and see where it goes from there then? I did think the system of having the winner choose five themes to vote on was great and should still carry over.

By simple I mean themes like;

• Monochrome
  • Lines
  • Circles
  • Depth of Field
  • Distance
  • Small
  • Attractive girls with little to no clothing
  • Attractive guys with little to no clothing
  • Clothing
  • Product Placement
  • Media
  • Government
  • Noise
  • Out of Focus
  • Old people
  • Attractive old people with little to... er. Nevermind.

I think everyone could do simple shots for these kind of categories. When I got to clothing I also thought how awesome it would be for people who are in the industry to come up with some categories that are, more or less, what they themselves are required to shoot for their livelihood. The challenge idea is also nifty.

It seems there are plenty of people on here taking lots of pictures everyday, if the Snapshot thread is any indicator, so let's give this another shot!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also the population of dorkroom is pretty small. If we did this contest thing, maybe a sticky in GBS would be in order, just to bring in some new blood.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Martytoof posted:

Also the population of dorkroom is pretty small. If we did this contest thing, maybe a sticky in GBS would be in order, just to bring in some new blood.

Maybe, I could also see this bringing in a lot of BS...

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

EatinCake posted:

Maybe just start with some simpler themes and see where it goes from there then? I did think the system of having the winner choose five themes to vote on was great and should still carry over.

By simple I mean themes like;

• Monochrome
  • Lines
  • Circles
  • Depth of Field
  • Distance
  • Small
  • Attractive girls with little to no clothing
  • Attractive guys with little to no clothing
  • Clothing
  • Product Placement
  • Media
  • Government
  • Noise
  • Out of Focus
  • Old people
  • Attractive old people with little to... er. Nevermind.

I think everyone could do simple shots for these kind of categories. When I got to clothing I also thought how awesome it would be for people who are in the industry to come up with some categories that are, more or less, what they themselves are required to shoot for their livelihood. The challenge idea is also nifty.

It seems there are plenty of people on here taking lots of pictures everyday, if the Snapshot thread is any indicator, so let's give this another shot!

I was thinking the kind of the same thing, except there will be a pool of pre-approved themes that the winner could draw from so things don't get out of hand. As for themes, personally, I think they should be vague and open to interpretation. Like "Red" or "Power" or "Grim". That way your creativity isn't boxed in.

As far as GBS goes, I think it could be a good idea as long as there are ground rules for posting and it's well moderated.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dread Head posted:

Maybe, I could also see this bringing in a lot of BS...

Well, there would be some chaff, yeah. But I'd happily wade through some BS entries if it meant there were more entries, period.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
If anyone wants to make a contest thread I will sticky it here and see if we can get some cross-forum promotion for it.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

brad industry posted:

If anyone wants to make a contest thread I will sticky it here and see if we can get some cross-forum promotion for it.
:woop:

I'd make the thread but I can't see any of the original contest threads. I'm pretty sure I'd forget a few of the rules that helped steamline it.

As for having a pool of themes, I don't think it'd be necessary to have winners only select from that. Maybe just offer it up as suggestions. At the very least the winner should be able to come up with two or three categories. You never know what sort of creative stuff someone could come up with that you'd never have thought of before.

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

For a while I was hosting a photography club and we would steal weekly theme ideas from this site. http://www.photofriday.com/challenges.php

The last ten were

Seashore
Gloomy
Sharp Focus
Wilderness
Building
Shade
People
Sundown
Many
My World

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Paragon8 posted:

"only use f8 for a day to see what you can do to handle that limitation"
B-b-but... my BOKEHS!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

psylent posted:

B-b-but... my BOKEHS!

f/10 bokeh.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Dread Head posted:

f/10 bokeh.

That owns.

e: What lens did you use for that?

Prathm fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 18, 2011

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

Cross posting from coupons, Lightroom 3 is $150 with free shipping.

http://www.buy.com/prod/adobe-photoshop-lightroom-v-3-0-win-mac/q/loc/105/214309146.html

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dread Head posted:

f/10 bokeh.

Could be any macro lens with 1:1 magnification or higher. At 1:1 it's almost impossible to get enough light (without flash) to have a wide enough DOF to not get bokehs on my 100 2.8

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap

brad industry posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3425701

Open call for submissions!

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Make a deal with LensRentals.com, and make everyone use a totally non-standard lens for the contest. Like take pictures of your cat with the 800 f/5.6L. Or portraits with the 4.5mm Sigma Fisheyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap
I wonder what kind of deal could be made / how many people would actually rent a lens for that.