Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
For your first gig: practice a lot, make sure you know what the deal with the equipment at the club is, show up a bit early maybe, and get drunk but not too drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I think this is an amazing tip, but DO NOT CHUG BEER. Especially if you are playing a long set. You will need to piss, it will suck.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I thought pee breaks were the whole reason extended mixes existed?

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Ey-yo gently caress that Felix, you gotta hit 'em with that 13, 14 minute version.

You know what im sayin'?

You just gotta hit 'em with that poo poo where they just marinate.
Where they just...where they just, they just engulfed in the poo poo.
Where they just... where they...

I hate when a Mother Fucker play a 4 minute version of a...
You cant even get in to ya, ya thing,
You know? You can't even get into your thing on a 4 minute version?
You know what im sayin?

I wanna make...

This, this album goes out to all the Mother Fuckers that like 15, 20 minute versions of a mother fuckin record - where you can get into your thing, you feel me?

I'm sending this album out to all the Mother Fuckers in the after-hour spots!

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

vanillaslimfast is playing on my live broadcast thingy RIGHT loving NOW

http://ultrawizardsword.net:8000/uws.m3u

http://ultrawizardsword.net

synirc #ultrawizardsword

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

That Wicked Walrus posted:

Ey-yo gently caress that Felix, you gotta hit 'em with that 13, 14 minute version.

i have a couple of records that i often carry that i call "poop records" because they are long enough that i can run to the can and take a dump and get back in time to play the next record. they are essential.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

relative_q posted:

i have a couple of records that i often carry that i call "poop records" because they are long enough that i can run to the can and take a dump and get back in time to play the next record. they are essential.

Ahahahah, yeah there are tricks of the trade to pooping and peeing, but it would suck if I was playing my first gig and I needed to piss like a pregnant racehorse the whole time.

I saw JELO play a gig a few weeks back in a really intimate venue, and the dude always gets hammered behind the decks. At one point he just BOLTED out of the DJ booth, tripped on the dance floor, got up and kept running. Obv went to go piss. He was passing around his bottle of patron so there were randoms behind the booth and everyone was like WTF.

I've asked a friend to mix for me before, since I use Traktor I just pointed where and when and gave him a simple rundown.

Whatever you do, do not try and piss in the beer bottle. Most of it will miss and whatever you do, DO NOT PUT IT DOWN ON THE TABLE AFTERWARDS BESIDE OTHER OPEN BEERS.

Great pissing tips itt

Firaga fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 16, 2011

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

yeah i drink a lot of beer when i play so i've gotten pretty pro at the "sprint to the can in the middle of a track" move

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

32 bar loops are a godsend for piss breaks

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Whenever I'm dying for a serious shitpiss I play System 7 - Alphawave (Plastikman Remix). It is god's gift to the constipated DJ because that fucker lasts almost 19 minutes :v:

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

This dude that used to play at the bar I worked at used to have some premade mixes that he'd play. One mp3 file, but a few tracks premixed together. He'd drop that and then go outside for a cigarette.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Firaga posted:

DO NOT PUT IT DOWN ON THE TABLE AFTERWARDS BESIDE OTHER OPEN BEERS.

Great pissing tips itt

Also if you do pee in empty beer bottles, don't leave them in the booth for next week's DJ to discover. :(

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I find myself buying songs left and right and keep forgetting I have a Mixtrack PRO.:v:

I got that itch in me that just loves music! I just can't make it :smith: But man, do I love to try finding songs that work well together. Even in a non-Dj setting. I'm determined to Dj damnit.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Alright, some more questions for you guys. As a DJ who's new to the scene, you usually get opening gigs and the like, which are a lot tougher than the main slots (since you just get to play awesome banger after banger). When you're opening, what kind of stuff do you play? To be more specific, if you're opening an electro house night, would you stick to all electro even if you're opening (I imagine not), or would you stick more with tech house, progressive house, and stuff along those lines, and slowly ramp yourself towards electro? I've been slowly getting very into tech house, and if that helps with opening gigs that would be drat awesome, I'm just not entirely sure what's appropriate and what's not.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

The Dark Wind posted:

Alright, some more questions for you guys. As a DJ who's new to the scene, you usually get opening gigs and the like, which are a lot tougher than the main slots (since you just get to play awesome banger after banger). When you're opening, what kind of stuff do you play? To be more specific, if you're opening an electro house night, would you stick to all electro even if you're opening (I imagine not), or would you stick more with tech house, progressive house, and stuff along those lines, and slowly ramp yourself towards electro? I've been slowly getting very into tech house, and if that helps with opening gigs that would be drat awesome, I'm just not entirely sure what's appropriate and what's not.

I open with nu disco and transition into electro at the end of my set (last 20-25 min). I keep it capped at 128 bpm, since 128-132 is where the headliner/midnight slots play at. Read your crowd and see what sort of music they would like, e.g. there are usually a lot of hipsters where I am at so I will play Miami Horror and Bag Raiders remixes.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

It finally happened: I have vowed to not play any more house parties. Too many belligerent people bumbling around my equipment isn't really worth the good times and getting paid from my friends.

Good thing I'm in college and I'm probably going to go back on everything I just said next weekend. :v:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Even playing at random parties has its shelf life.

I am glad that I'm out. Apart from my biweekly radio show, I take on around five to ten gigs a year and I love it that way. There is no greater buzzkill then seeing the thing you love becoming obligatory and boring.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

The Dark Wind posted:

A few thoughts related to the art of the opening DJ.

1. cardinal rule: don't play the headliner's tracks. That's like the biggest faux pas you can commit
2. play a bit slower than you normally would. Even 1 or 2 bpm can help
3. play genre(s) that are complimentary but not necessarily the same as the headliner.
4. keep it in your pants. don't bang it out before the headliner goes on and steal their thunder. It's ok to ramp up a bit towards the end to build the anticipation but within reason

There's a local DJ around here that rumor has it has had his cd wallet thrown out of the booth by the headliner on two separate occasions as an expression of how awful he was being as an opener. don't be that guy

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.

The Dark Wind posted:

I'm just not entirely sure what's appropriate and what's not.

There has already been some pretty advice posted, but here are some other ones that I usually abide by.

1. Don't bang out al the newest and hottest songs that just came out. Those are usually reserved for the headliner, but if really must, maybe try to sneak one of those big new songs near the end of your set.

2. Tech House is pretty awesome for opening sets. Tech house tends to have pretty massive kicks, and the energy is pretty consistant so it's pretty easy to mix together songs and keep the energy at a consistant level. You should avoid a ton of build ups, and your job is to keep the energy going and build it up. Tech house is awesome since the main dance sections of the songs tend to go on for much longer than in electro songs, which usually have 32 bars of dance and then drops into a huge build up. This brings me to point 3

3. Try to avoid a ton of build ups in your opening sets. I find that mastering the art of an opening set is much harder than headlining. To quote Mad Decent, "Anyone can play pon de floor at 1 a.m." If i am playing earlier in the evening during an opening slot, I like to skip build ups all together and just string together the main verses of the songs. If you have ever seen Sinden live, he is excellent at this.

4. Playing some well known classic hits, but ones that the headliners will most likely not play, are usually good bets to sneak into your set. Fake Blood - Mars (herve edit) is a good example of this. Basically, you want to pull people onto the dance floor without exhausting them too much. Also, I find that mashups are great for getting people out on the dance floor. There are many EDM tracks mashed up with top 40 stuff that can be found.

This is what I could think of now, hopefully its helpful!

GbrushTwood fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 17, 2011

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I've seen so many terrible warmup DJ that I've lost count: DJ's panicking over the fact no-one is dancing, pushing the tempo, playing anthems et cetera. Keep in mind that you have the most responsible job of the night, because you are the one that sets the mood. And a good mood carries a long way.
Play modest, play consistent, hold back a little on the volume, make sure that people start swaying a little rather then dancing and please make sure you don't get tempted to play 'that-one-banger-towards-the-end'. End with a slightly boring track that allows the headliner to mix in his first track and to make sure that when he drops his first banger, he has got their full attention.

Closing down set's are great to do as well. Start out blazing and then slowly massaging the crowd towards a sweet end. I hate DJ's that end with the loudest track they have, giving you nothing but a hard landing when the lights come on.

Best ending I ever witnessed:

Derick May at ADE last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2yD2P3eNNs

All the lights were on already for at least 15 minutes, everyone was ready to go and then he just dropped just one more record. I never, before or after left a venue more euphoric than that night.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 17, 2011

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Oh yeah, good call on the volume too. A good stage manager will be keeping an eye on it too and making sure you're leaving plenty of headroom for the headliner to fill in

On the topic of closing sets...One of my favorite gigs I've ever played was a sunrise set at a mountain party two summers ago. DJ before me was playing dark evil techno, so I went tech house -> downtempo -> doubletimed into DNB -> downtempo -> house over the course of 3 hours. Played the DNB right as the sun was starting to peak over the mountains

Really wish that recording had turned out :(

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Thanks for the advice guys! I find that Boston's scene is kinda unusual, since the EDM community is rather small and close knit, so when you go to a show, even as early as like 9:30 PM or so, there's already a pretty drat good amount of people there that all just want to start dancing like crazy. I've almost never seen a real "opening" DJ set, since the majority of the time as soon as I show up they're already starting to play some pretty loud and crazy stuff, and that kind of energy just keeps going and never stops until 2:00 AM or so. Most of that kind of stuff probably wouldn't fly anywhere else. Eitherway, I've always known not to play the crazy popular bangers as an opening DJ and leave that for the headliner, but at the same time I had been wondering if I should just stick to one subgenre, or venture out into related subgenres and kind of just build the energy using tracks from various different places, but the above advice pretty much completely answered that question.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

vanilla slimfast posted:

Really wish that recording had turned out :(

Yeah that's the same I curse that I have: your best sets are always the ones that were supposed to be recorded but where the recording always goes missing/wrong/distorted in the end

I played a true oldskool techno set in our radio studio a couple of weeks back, which I haven't done anymore for almost a year. Sorted out all my old records, made sure every drop counted, mixed faster than Gordon Ramsey on meth and more precise than a brain surgeon. I was supposed to be my Soundcloud magnum-opus. And then some idiot taped his radioshow over it the next day. :suicide:

The Dark Wind posted:

energy just keeps going and never stops until 2:00 AM or so.

I usualy don't bother getting to the club before 1:30, but then again that's just how we roll here in Europe :smug:

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 17, 2011

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Sjoewe posted:

I usualy don't bother getting to the club before 1:30, but then again that's just how we roll here in Europe :smug:

Unfortunately our transportation system completely shuts down after 12:30, so it's only taxis from there on out, and most people are also sissies that can't handle staying up a little late. It's unfortunate :(, if I ever have a chance to move to Europe (which I might once I graduate), I am 100% taking that opportunity and never looking back.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Everything's pretty much been said already, so I'll just mention this article: http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1095

RA Feature on the art of being an opening DJ, read it.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'

Sjoewe posted:

that's last call here :suicide:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I think that it's just mainly a cultural thing. Because most of our public transport stops after 12:30 as well, but the people are just used to staying at the club until the system comes back on again in the morning.
Both have their advantages, because starting early allows you to go out, have a few and still have a decent amount of sleep. While over here there is no point what so ever to go to a club before 12:00, because it isn't even open yet. As I am currently working 6 days a week, this means I haven't seen the inside of a club in ages and I have to meticulously plan my party weekends, making sure I'm not expected to pick up the early shift on monday...

:froggonk:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ah, final tracks to end an evening. I've heard loads of DJs go big and then nothing which tends to gently caress more people off than anything else, I prefer a slow decent into fairly chilled stuff.

I did a mix recently that ended with these 2

Para One - Kiwi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBtKck4jWCs

into

Pacific! - Narcissus (Alan Braxe remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geFSrjpOi9E

which got good reviews. That last track is loving perfect...

As an aside this summer myself and a couple of friends are building folded horn subs and some super sexy tops as we're sick of the lovely 'pro' sound in the clubs round here.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I don't know how many people on here use Serato Itch, but they released the Itch 2.0 Beta. Here are a few of the additions:

-Changed the UI to look like Scratch Live (this was one of my major gripes with Itch)
-Added a tempo synced version of the SP6 sample player
-Added support for Smart Crates (finally)

In addition to my regular setup of CDJs/DJM-700 and an SL3, I have a Numark NS6 that I use for some gigs. Itch was just so backwards from SL that I hated using it but hopefully the Itch 2.0 release may change that for me. We'll see.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Thanks for the toilet tips people, I had an 8 minute track about 40 mins in just incase :)

mstrkrft posted:

Pump your hands in the air and bob your head. A classic!

Real post: Have fun with it. I'm not sure if you're a laptop dj, but if you are, try not to look like you're standing there reading your emails. Crowd interaction is a big part of getting the crowd into your mix.

CDJ's and Serato so there was a bit of looking at the laptop due to making GBS threads myself I'd miss a cue point or loop but everything went perfect, had an awesome time and mixing from the previous DJ's track to my first took away a lot of the pressure and I just went for it.

I managed to not look like a mannequin and ended up with a room full of randoms (the previous DJ cleared the room with his second to last track... that was gutting to watch) and got a big cheer at the end so yeah, can't wait to get up there again :)

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

TheWevel posted:

I don't know how many people on here use Serato Itch, but they released the Itch 2.0 Beta. Here are a few of the additions:

-Changed the UI to look like Scratch Live (this was one of my major gripes with Itch)
-Added a tempo synced version of the SP6 sample player
-Added support for Smart Crates (finally)

In addition to my regular setup of CDJs/DJM-700 and an SL3, I have a Numark NS6 that I use for some gigs. Itch was just so backwards from SL that I hated using it but hopefully the Itch 2.0 release may change that for me. We'll see.

It's about time, my VCI-300 has been collecting dust for a few months. Might have to break it out and play around with the new version.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki
So, the goon DJ machine I managed/worked on, the Stanton SCS.4DJ just got released, and I (or my tattooed arms) was in a commercial we shot for the unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxDTLtFoYUs

We filmed the set live from a million different angles and used one run through for the audio track, so it is kind of cool to have a performance up somewhere. Anyway, Best Buy's all over the USA have it in stock now-try it out and let me know what you think!

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

What do you guys think of turntable.fm, especially as a place to find new mixes?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm very new to Digital Mixing (have been using MK2 for 10 years or something) and I was wondering if you guys had advice on some good controllerist to watch to get ideas and see the possibilites?
I have an S4 and I feel I'm doing very limited stuff, need a bit of inspiration.

If it can help I mainly mix Drum and Bass, with a little Dubstep.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Professorbx posted:

So, the goon DJ machine I managed/worked on, the Stanton SCS.4DJ just got released, and I (or my tattooed arms) was in a commercial we shot for the unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxDTLtFoYUs

We filmed the set live from a million different angles and used one run through for the audio track, so it is kind of cool to have a performance up somewhere. Anyway, Best Buy's all over the USA have it in stock now-try it out and let me know what you think!

This is actually really cool. If I wasn't a vinyl/serato DJ, I'd be all over this.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Le0 posted:

I'm very new to Digital Mixing (have been using MK2 for 10 years or something) and I was wondering if you guys had advice on some good controllerist to watch to get ideas and see the possibilites?
I have an S4 and I feel I'm doing very limited stuff, need a bit of inspiration.

If it can help I mainly mix Drum and Bass, with a little Dubstep.

Check out Ean Golden from DJ Tech Tools.
He helped design the S4 and I guess is the "father" of controllerism. He even made an hour long instructional dvd that explains the S4 in and out.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 19, 2011

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Professorbx posted:

Does the .m4a support include Apple Lossless?

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

qirex posted:

Does the .m4a support include Apple Lossless?

For now, no. Heavy decoding involved. Never say never. :)

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Firaga posted:

Check out Ean Golden from DJ Tech Tools.
He helped design the S4 and I guess is the "father" of controllerism. He even made an hour long instructional dvd that explains the S4 in and out.

Dude is in no way the father of controllerism. Cats like Moldover were doing it for years before. As for the S4, it takes a lot of people to design a product. I don't think I am bugged by him saying he designed it (he doesn't overtly state it), but he never corrects anyone either, which is in bad form when you look at the sheer amount of talent at NI who helped make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about getting on a label as a producer or remixer and how I would go about doing that. I've had one somewhat successful moombahton remix and I am entering a song for the PeaceTreaty competition, which I am really confident about. I don't expect to get on a label right away or even this year but I just want a general do's and don'ts and maybe some of your experiences. If this is OT you guys can email me at vegaswlg [at] gmail.com