Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

Robot Karnov posted:

I don't understand all the hate on this book and Kvothe especially. He's a trickster hero, like Odysseus (who is a way, way bigger bastard than Kvothe).

It seems like the complaints about the book are from readers who don't like not knowing who is good and who is evil, which is a valid complaint if you expected to read a standard fantasy novel that follows the good vs evil theme and reluctant hero archetype. After all, the overarching theme of both books is Public Perception VS Truth. Kvothe and Chronicler are on either side of that contest and are both defined by it.

My problem with Kvothe is that he's like an unfunny, unsympathetic Ignatius J. Reilly, but I get the impression the author of the book expects me to find him funny and clever, if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Ostiosis posted:

My problem with Kvothe is that he's like an unfunny, unsympathetic Ignatius J. Reilly, but I get the impression the author of the book expects me to find him funny and clever, if that makes sense.

Clever, possibly. Funny, not really. Resourceful, yes. Take for instance that he researched and built his own gram with the help of friends and comes up with money in odd ways.

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

pakman posted:

Clever, possibly. Funny, not really. Resourceful, yes. Take for instance that he researched and built his own gram with the help of friends and comes up with money in odd ways.

I stopped reading after the goony library put down where everyone applauded him, so I could be wrong.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
To be fair, everyone at the University is some variety of goon. Ambrose is a classic right-wing LF troll.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So, anyone want to take bets on how long till the third book? I for one can't wait for it in 2027.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

So, anyone want to take bets on how long till the third book? I for one can't wait for it in 2027.

2015. But I've got plenty to read to keep me busy in the meantime. The one I am really worried about is Winds of Winter, I sure hope GRRM doesn't die. :ohdear:

(I also hope he has copius notes)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
He doesn't, although I have a feeling part of his deal with HBO was that he had to tell them how the series would end.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Hasn't he already written it?

Melche
Apr 29, 2009
So I was one of the dudes really making GBS threads on the first of these two books, but for some reason (actually it's because it's up free online somewhere) I tried out the second one. I didn't get all the way through it, and I'm not gonna post much because there's no point making GBS threads up the thread if some people are enjoying it, but I will say this: it is loving hilarious how Rothfuss thinks sex and fighting work in the exact same ridiculous way.

I broke the guy who bullied me in high school bad guy's arm with Striking Cobra, then used 5 mana to bring a tavern wench to gushing orgasm with Swooping Eagle Performs Cunnilingus :clint:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Flatscan posted:

Hasn't he already written it?

Wait seriously? You mean to say there's a chance I could finish this series before the stars all blink out

I really hope the next book is less "I made Prancing Bear Claw but she made Leaping Lion Swipe but I countered with my personal Flamingo's Feint which she fell for then I went into Chipmunks Cowl and well that was that" the battle with the bandits was so much better without having a thousand Special Moves over and over.

And less retarded sex scenes please Rothfuss, theres a lad.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Wait seriously? You mean to say there's a chance I could finish this series before the stars all blink out

I thought I read somewhere that he wrote the whole thing a few years ago is all.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
He claimed to have written them all, but is "re-writing" them (cramming in Auri and Devi) as the series goes along. He gave a "it'll be 2 years time before the third is out" hand-wavey answer a while back, but don't start holding your breath.

I have to re-state this, because every time I think about this book it bounces straight to the top of my head.

Kvothe breaks a dude's arm because he says something mean and is instantly absolved by all the townsfolk.
This is really where it pranced over the line from "harmless enough teenage-wish-fulfilment fantasy" into me watching for a goony bearded figure atop a water tower with a rifle.

Yes the applause after he puts bullies in his place is embarrassing enough, and then there's all the clueless hands-down-shorts bullshit about women (he describes himself as a "skilled lover of women" on his own bio literally who would do that?) but that's par for the course in a masturbatory self-insert epic. It crosses a line when he starts immediately forgiving his character for being a sociopath who metes out pretty loving serious violence on a hair trigger because somebody says something off-colour. A broken arm is a big deal nowadays, let alone in Fantasy Land.

Evfedu fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 16, 2011

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Evfedu posted:

He claimed to have written them all, but is "re-writing" them (cramming in Auri and Devi) as the series goes along. He gave a "it'll be 2 years time before the third is out" hand-wavey answer a while back, but don't start holding your breath.

I have to re-state this, because every time I think about this book it bounces straight to the top of my head.

Kvothe breaks a dude's arm because he says something mean and is instantly absolved by all the townsfolk.
This is really where it pranced over the line from "harmless enough teenage-wish-fulfilment fantasy" into me watching for a goony bearded figure atop a water tower with a rifle.

Yes the applause after he puts bullies in his place is embarrassing enough, and then there's all the clueless hands-down-shorts bullshit about women (he describes himself as a "skilled lover of women" on his own bio literally who would do that?) but that's par for the course in a masturbatory self-insert epic. It crosses a line when he starts immediately forgiving his character for being a sociopath who metes out pretty loving serious violence on a hair trigger because somebody says something off-colour. A broken arm is a big deal nowadays, let alone in Fantasy Land.

Yep, this is basically how I feel about the series, and I couldn't even bother to pick up Wise Man's Fear. Kvothe is just such a drat GBSer. And Denna... I can't even comprehend how somebody could write a character like that.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Evfedu posted:

It's a good thing that authorial intent doesn't mean much when it comes to interpreting or enjoying a novel then,eh?

Read it as an proclamation of everything that is wrong with goonish manchild culture, hate the protagonist for what he represents, if you like. You can still get something from it.

Metonymy
Aug 31, 2005

frozenpeas posted:

It's a good thing that authorial intent doesn't mean much when it comes to interpreting or enjoying a novel then,eh?

Read it as an proclamation of everything that is wrong with goonish manchild culture, hate the protagonist for what he represents, if you like. You can still get something from it.

This is both condescending and misleading.

"The death of the author" doesn't suggest that we read with an uncritical eye or waste our time reading pap. People have a limited amount of free time, and it's pretty valid for someone to not want to waste their time reading the wish-fulfillment fantasies of someone suffering from a severe case of arrested development.

If you want to pull the relativism card, consider that there's a reason that you're posting about this book in particular rather than some random Doctor Who fanfiction. People have limited time & limited bandwidth to devote to reading lovely novels, even if there's some pomo lesson to be gleaned from them.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Metonymy posted:

This is both condescending and misleading.

"The death of the author" doesn't suggest that we read with an uncritical eye or waste our time reading pap. People have a limited amount of free time, and it's pretty valid for someone to not want to waste their time reading the wish-fulfillment fantasies of someone suffering from a severe case of arrested development.

If you want to pull the relativism card, consider that there's a reason that you're posting about this book in particular rather than some random Doctor Who fanfiction. People have limited time & limited bandwidth to devote to reading lovely novels, even if there's some pomo lesson to be gleaned from them.
It's not condescending to offer an alternative viewpoint. I apologize if you found the tone offensive.

As to your point, Well that would be fine if he hadn't actually read it, but he has presumably spent :10bux: and god knows how many hours reading it so he might as well take whatever he can from the experience.

The death of the author has nothing to do with quality and literally nothing to do with how you determine whether a book is good or not. Any text can is worthy of critical analysis regardless of quality. Have you read Mythologies? He spends quite a lot of time talking about soap powders and wrestling.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

frozenpeas posted:

Separate the author then, Kvothe has wandered into a medieval village in which a callous remark is punishable by grievous bodily harm. I wonder how they get anything done?

quote:

Yes indeed, if I really work at it I could probably even convince myself I enjoyed it. Why, I didn't even need to read the book! I could have just pretended to myself that I read it and it was great.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
^^^^^^^

I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you're getting at, let alone what that has anything to do with what I wrote.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 17, 2011

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

frozenpeas posted:

^^^^^^^

I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you're getting at, let alone what that has anything to do with what I wrote.
He's calling out the part in your post where you implied that the reader should read into the books whatever he wants so he can get something out of it. And that's just a ridiculous way of thinking really.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007

Above Our Own posted:

He's calling out the part in your post where you implied that the reader should read into the books whatever he wants so he can get something out of it. And that's just a ridiculous way of thinking really.

Are you suggesting there is a 'correct' way to read the book. What would that be?

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
I want to chime in on what someone mentioned a few pages back, the unreliable narrator subject.

I could be completely off base, but there is a lot in both books to suggest that Kvothe really isn't everything (level 20 sex god, most powerful wizard, super ninja) that he's been claiming to be.

I think that it's possible Kvothe carefully cultivated his image of his early life so that he would be the impossible hero to his relatively small circle of friends. His eventual flight after faking his death could have been his attempt to escape from all of his lies and embellishments, those that got so out of his control that he realized it would be impossible to ever live up to the hype.

But he picked up Bast during the flight and decided that just one sycophantic follower would be ok, someone to be his "student" and tell him how great he was while he hid from his constructed and (mostly) false image.

But Bast has found Chronicler and decided that Kvothe just needs someone to remind him of his greatness. Kvothe is telling his story in this little backwoods town because he hopes that this will grow his legend and satisfy Bast at the same time.

I realize that I might be giving Rothfuss too much credit, but this seems like a great opportunity to really expand on the recent dark fantasy trend and take it a step further, exploring the impossible hero/unreliable narrator relationship and forcing readers to stop accepting protagonists at face value.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Former Everything posted:

I realize that I might be giving Rothfuss too much credit, but this seems like a great opportunity to really expand on the recent dark fantasy trend and take it a step further, exploring the impossible hero/unreliable narrator relationship and forcing readers to stop accepting protagonists at face value.

No, you have to actually work to set something like this up. You can't just suddenly proclaim: Oh Kvothe was lying, aren't we oh so clever! If an author wants to go the unreliable narrator route they really need to subtlety imply that something is wrong throughout the entire narrative, giving the reader clear doubts that something is up without quite giving the whole secret away.

So I ask you, have we seen any implied evidence that Kvothe is lying to us, beyond that it would make certain parts of the story less of an embarrassing nerd wet dream? Because it seems like there were plenty of opportunities for the Chronicler to say or even think something along the lines of "you know I was at the University, and interviewed A LOT of other people who intimately knew you, and I've gotta say some of this doesn't sound 100% factual."

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
But wouldn't having someone say KVOTHE IS LYING in the middle of the narrative kind of ruin the whole idea of an unreliable narrator with some sort of reveal?

Remember, this is all just my personal opinion, which could be clouded by hopeful thinking, but without picking out specific quotes, I think there is enough here to at least give it consideration.

Kvothe has a completely unverifiable past, as everyone who would know him as a child is dead.

He was a member of a travelling troupe renowned for their acting and performance ability. This troupe was nomadic, meaning no hope for childhood roots and acquaintances.

Once he showed up somewhere verifiable, where records would be kept of his time, he remarks several times playing up rumours, using tricks to do seemingly impossible things, and allowing his persona to be developed by mass admiration.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not theorizing that everything he has claimed to do is a lie. Just that, at this point, there is a huge break between his demonstrated ability/persona, and the one he is telling Chronicler about.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

keiran_helcyan posted:

So I ask you, have we seen any implied evidence that Kvothe is lying to us, beyond that it would make certain parts of the story less of an embarrassing nerd wet dream? Because it seems like there were plenty of opportunities for the Chronicler to say or even think something along the lines of "you know I was at the University, and interviewed A LOT of other people who intimately knew you, and I've gotta say some of this doesn't sound 100% factual."

He literally admits to lying with great frequency when it suits him?

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
The way you're spinning it is almost plausible but I don't think Rothfuss would be able to pull it off (and loves Kvothe too much to make him bad). The narrative and the framing device we've so far been shown do not allow for the kind of detail of understanding of the character to make a satisfying heel-turn/unreliable narrator twist plausible. Someone would have to burst into the tavern and go "But you are a liar!" or something.

As you say, maybe the entirety of the third book is going to be an incredible, labyrinthine spiralling of niggling wrongness. It's not very likely though.

Also: Kvothe killed/fought off a bunch of stoney spider-demons in book 1, and was then leathered by two punchy soldiers in book two. Did he lose shitloads of fighting prowess overnight?

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

Evfedu posted:

Also: Kvothe killed/fought off a bunch of stoney spider-demons in book 1, and was then leathered by two punchy soldiers in book two. Did he lose shitloads of fighting prowess overnight?

I admit this is where I have to kind of take a leap of faith. What I (and yeah, I'm spinning this myself) see objectively is that Chronicler was unconscious for the entire fight, so we (as readers) have no idea of what happened. And Kvothe was pretty decimated by the fight. Not something you would necessarily expect to happen to the ultimate warrior-hero.

I think Bast is legitimately the business though, so I'm not above considering that Bast played some part in Kvothe's survival that night.

Edit: Bast's ability also plays a little bit into my reasoning as well. For all we know, Bast has been sold on the idea that Kvothe is powerless because he wants to be powerless. If Bast, proven to be violent when it suits him, suddenly finds out he's been strung along by the man he calls his master, it's definitely going to go wrong for Kvothe. Hence, Kvothe has to tell the story this way.

The Edema Ruh are thought of nearly universally as the scum of the earth. What better way to validate your past than to create a new legend (how long since the last Edema Ruh hero?) by using your natural abilities to help cultivate it.

And even in running from the past when his reputation became unsustainable, Kvothe's pride and vanity caused him to pick up Bast, and in doing so, begin the cycle again.

Former Everything fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 17, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Makes a lot of sense really. Kvothe tells the Chronicler that he lies essentially constantly to maintain his persona, we're yet to see anything that proves Kvothe is anything like the hero the world says he is anyway. Besides the creepy awkward sex stuff, its either fairly tame "heroic" where he exploits people's lack of knowledge about magic or whatever, or stuff taken out of context and exaggerated.

The whole theme of the series so far has been how different a hero's story is from reality. I wouldn't at all be surprised if that extended to the "True" story Kvothe is telling.

And when he killed those two stoney spiders he was prepared, armored and still got the poo poo stabbed out of him and had to be put back together by Bast.

Why do I even follow this series. By all rights I hate it. The main character is unlikable for the most part, 90% of the books feel like pointless lovely filler and so on and so on but I keep reading them. I don't know why. Help me someone.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Why do I even follow this series. By all rights I hate it. The main character is unlikable for the most part, 90% of the books feel like pointless lovely filler and so on and so on but I keep reading them. I don't know why. Help me someone.

I only picked this series up because I ran out of other stuff to read. I read the descriptions of Kvothe and the criticisms that were posted (generic super-awesome fantasy hero) and wanted nothing to do with it.

But I'm a huge consumer of fantasy and after reading all the newer acclaimed stuff, saw Rothfuss was getting a lot of press.

When I started reading, I immediately got the sense that Kvothe wasn't Drizzt with red hair and magic. For some reason, from the very beginning, I got the sense that there was some undercurrent to this story. So, maybe I'm crazy, but I've convinced myself that Rothfuss has set up an amazing opportunity to do something great.

And if he doesn't do it, I'll probably write a lovely self-published novel that attempts it and cry about how I'll never be able to capture it like I have imagined Rothfuss will.

Melche
Apr 29, 2009
Yo, it has been picked up on that Kvothe is supposed to be an unreliable narrator. The thing is, Rothfuss announces loudly that he's an unreliable narrator, talks constantly about he intentionally builds up his own legend that doesn't completely correspond to the facts, but then doesn't really develop the concept in any interesting way.

You only have to look at the present tense bits, the bits that aren't written from Kvothe's perspective. It's all "kvothe looked like a pretty normal guy, then someone pissed him off and eyes flashed with green fire and everyone in the room shat themselves at the glimpse of his true badassness emerging like the sun from behind a grey cloud".

Point is, there is nothing in either the past or present sections that actually develops his character in the interesting ways that might follow from him being an unreliable narrator. It doesn't read like a conman talking himself into a legend, it reads like an adolescent writing what he thinks of as a genuinely badass character, with some stuff about intentionally building up his own rep thrown in. A lot of people in this thread seem to see the bit that screams "he's an unreliable narrator!" and just assume none of the events happened as they did and actually, a much better book happened. And I don't know, this'll all be revealed in the last line of the last book.

That would be great, everyone agrees that concept'd make a good book, but the thing is that book hasn't been written.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

Melche posted:

That would be great, everyone agrees that concept'd make a good book, but the thing is that book hasn't been written.

Reading your post history in this thread, it's pretty clear you have a hate on for this series. Which is fine and all, but I don't care enough about your opinion as a consumer of fantasy to change my opinion of the book.

You've written :words: about how there's no characterization, and you're entitled to your opinion, but why do you seem to have some consuming need for validation that keeps drawing you back here to comment on the theories of other people who enjoy the book?

And also, it's pretty cool how you've been making GBS threads on this book in the early part of the thread because it's so unbelievable that Kvothe never had consequences and is too much of a badass, but then poo poo on it again because it's SO OBVIOUS that it was all a setup and :sigh: it just isn't interesting.

Former Everything fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 18, 2011

Melche
Apr 29, 2009
I'm not saying it's all a set up, I'm saying Rothfuss tried to write an unreliable narrator but fell in love with his character and didn't really have the balls to go through with making him genuinely flawed. So again and again you get him telling you how he intentionally crafted this legend of himself, but then nothing's done with that, he never really look less than awesome. Or he keeps "loving up", but never in a serious way that takes away from him being fundamentally amazing.

And yeah, I don't know why I dislike it so much. I mean I think it's a pretty bad book, but for some reason it really gets under my skin.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

Melche posted:

I'm saying Rothfuss tried to write an unreliable narrator but fell in love with his character and didn't really have the balls to go through with making him genuinely flawed. So again and again you get him telling you how he intentionally crafted this legend of himself, but then nothing's done with that, he never really look less than awesome. Or he keeps "loving up", but never in a serious way that takes away from him being fundamentally amazing.

You seem to want two narrators at once, telling the same story, with Kvothe talking about how awesome he is, and someone else contradicting him. But that's not interesting or an example of an unreliable narrator.

Are you seriously saying that Rothfuss has failed because he "fell in love" with the character? As in, planned to write a terrific book about a fraud who became a victim of his own success but then decided the fraudulent story was so cool that he just went with it? Because that is a pretty preposterous thing to say, unless you're privy to some personal insight that I'm not. Or that he "didn't have the balls" to make his character flawed, when (supposing this theory is correct) the reveal that would make Kvothe a liar and a fraud wouldn't happen until the end (or nearer the end) of the series?

I don't get it. You don't write an unreliable narrator who, as a legend in his own time, constantly points out all of his/her failures to the audience. That's pretty much the opposite of an unreliable narrator in this vein. You don't write an unreliable narrator with a helpful sidekick who constantly points out the lies and exaggerations to the reader. I think it's probably much more interesting to contrast the fantastic nature of Kvothe's story with the reality of the present timeline, and throw in the sense of some impending conflict that will ultimately settle the matter of Kvothe's true nature one way or another.

Jesus christ, I'm really hung up on this theory. If it turns out this really was just nerd-wank self-insertion fantasy, I'll be sure to pop in here and take my lumps like a man.

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!

Jesus christ, I'm really hung up on this theory. If it turns out this really was just nerd-wank self-insertion fantasy, I'll be sure to pop in here and take my lumps like a man.
The thing is, it's been two solid books of nerd-wank self-insertion fantasy. There's no indication that Rothfuss has the writing chops to pull off a believable turn where we find out that he's not a badass afterall.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

WeWereSchizo posted:

The thing is, it's been two solid books of nerd-wank self-insertion fantasy. There's no indication that Rothfuss has the writing chops to pull off a believable turn where we find out that he's not a badass afterall.

If Abercrombie wrote the last book instead of Rothfuss, this entire trilogy would be redeemed.

Kvothe would die by page 37.

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!

Benson Cunningham posted:

If Abercrombie wrote the last book instead of Rothfuss, this entire trilogy would be redeemed.

Kvothe will embarrass the wrong guy, and the Bloody Nine will jam a knife farther up his rear end than Felurian ever explored.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

And yet, Abercrombie didn't really kill any of the core characters (with the exception of some of the Named Men). Jezal, Logen, Bayaz, Ferro and Glokta all survived.

But it wasn't a sappy, happy ending by any means. Abercrombie understands at least how to hit tragedy, futility and "adult" themes without killing everyone off.

Edit: spoilered some stuff.

anathenema fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 18, 2011

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Evfedu posted:

It's strongly suggested that Kvothe threw that soldier fight deliberately.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Dude, don't spoil the Abercrombie books for me, I haven't gotten to them yet. :(

Metonymy
Aug 31, 2005

I don't get it. You don't write an unreliable narrator who, as a legend in his own time, constantly points out all of his/her failures to the audience. That's pretty much the opposite of an unreliable narrator in this vein. You don't write an unreliable narrator with a helpful sidekick who constantly points out the lies and exaggerations to the reader. I think it's probably much more interesting to contrast the fantastic nature of Kvothe's story with the reality of the present timeline, and throw in the sense of some impending conflict that will ultimately settle the matter of Kvothe's true nature one way or another.

The lovely thing about this theory is that there are so many disparate plot threads and the framing story is so light on detail that it literally won't matter if Kvothe turns out to be an unreliable narrator.

If, in the next book, you discover that Kvothe is basically a college dropout with a penchant for fibbing and none of it ever happened, so what? Because the framing story is so weak, it's tantamount to ending the series with "and then he woke up, and realized it was all a dream". In the absence of a strong overarching narrative, if the anecdotes (which comprise most of the text) are false, who cares?

Yes, there are hints that Kvothe isn't what he purports to be; but after two books of "hints", it is becoming increasingly apparent that these are JJ Abrams, Lost style amateur-hour narrative poo poo where Rothfuss is just throwing "intrigue" at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Compare and contrast to Abercrombie, the GRRM, or even Brandon Sanderson (uck), and it's pretty evident that Rothfuss is floundering when it comes to stitching the anecdotes together into a novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I wish GRRM would write a story and all the characters and plotlines and then Rothfuss would actually pen the prose for it.

Nerd dream numero uno.

• Locked thread