Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

kitten smoothie posted:

To be fair to HTC, it's irresponsible for a vendor to ship an OS with exploitable root holes and not patch them. While that hole is a benefit to us, we folks who root our phones make up only a small portion of users.

Hopefully they'll unlock the bootloader like they've been saying they will.

But the question is: what, then, is the issue with having these root exploits, if only a small percentage of tinkerers will use them? Why is it irresponsible of them in respect to the 98% of users who don't mod their phones? Why does it do these average users any kind of service to plug these holes, when they're already unaware of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Sizzlechest posted:

Try formatting the system folder in ClockworkMod, do a full wipe, and install again. Formatting system will wipe out clockwork, so be careful with this. Maybe someone more knowledgable can comment.
Hum, does MIUI have its own recovery ROM? I'd rather not wipe out CWM if I don't have to.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

AppleCobbler posted:

But the question is: what, then, is the issue with having these root exploits, if only a small percentage of tinkerers will use them?

Because someone could write a malicious app and break your phone.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Rohaq posted:

Hum, does MIUI have its own recovery ROM? I'd rather not wipe out CWM if I don't have to.

Once you boot the OS, you will run Rom Manager and install CWM. With the Nook this isn't a big deal since you can always make a bootable microSD card with CWM if you gently caress up the firmware install.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Guys why won't phone companies leave the vast majority of their customers open to malicious software attack just so I'm not inconvenienced?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Skeezy posted:

I have such a hard time using MIUI. Every release I keep thinking "this will be the one that I use for at least a week" and I always end up changing back to CM7 by the end of the day.

What is it that always causes you to go back? Maybe someone can give you some advice to make it more to your liking.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Casao posted:

What is it that always causes you to go back? Maybe someone can give you some advice to make it more to your liking.

I don't like the launcher and to me that seems like the big draw for a lot of people, I realize that people do use other launchers but at that point I don't see a point to using it over CM7. It isn't bad or anything, I just still don't have a real reason to switch. The themeing engine is nice I guess, but CM7's works fine for me.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

I don't like the launcher and to me that seems like the big draw for a lot of people, I realize that people do use other launchers but at that point I don't see a point to using it over CM7. It isn't bad or anything, I just still don't have a real reason to switch. The themeing engine is nice I guess, but CM7's works fine for me.

That reminds me, can you hide Apps and create shortcuts in Miui? The Awful Android app shortcut goes straight to the control panel view, but I don't see how to do it.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Sizzlechest posted:

Once you boot the OS, you will run Rom Manager and install CWM. With the Nook this isn't a big deal since you can always make a bootable microSD card with CWM if you gently caress up the firmware install.
I'm on the HTC Desire, if I wipe CWM and then flash a bad ROM, I'd have to go back into the bootloader and reflash it, if I remember correctly. I'd rather not have to try though.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always

Sizzlechest posted:

That reminds me, can you hide Apps and create shortcuts in Miui? The Awful Android app shortcut goes straight to the control panel view, but I don't see how to do it.

I think that's a launcher thing, and MIUI's launcher doesn't do that AFAIK. You should be able to use Launcher Pro to do this in MIUI the same way you have it set up in CM7, though.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Sizzlechest posted:

Awful adds a shortcut to the Control Panel.

From the homescreen, hit Menu, then Edit Layout, then Menu again, then Add, then Shortcuts, then scroll to User Control Panel and hit that.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Rohaq posted:

Awful adds a shortcut to the Control Panel.

From the homescreen, hit Menu, then Edit Layout, then Menu again, then Add, then Shortcuts, then scroll to User Control Panel and hit that.

Excellent! Too bad you can't drag it to the bottom bar.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Sizzlechest posted:

Excellent! Too bad you can't drag it to the bottom bar.
Indeed, it's a shame that the MIUI Launcher makes adding shortcuts so confusing though; just add an option to the dropdown menu at the top or something, or a menu inbetween to switch to widgets.

Also, hoping that they add resizing of widgets at some point, every other launcher seems to have it.

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa
is it a common side effect that, when rooted, the phone goes in and deletes the master gmail account?

... cause that's what happened to me and now I cant access most of the poo poo on my phone (market, etc) because the master gmail account that I have been using for 7 years, mysteriously got deleted the day after I rooted my phone. Now, I cant figure out how to reset the phone so I can use a new master account.

*edit: HTC Incredible, CyanogenMod7 (latest update)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

is it a common side effect that, when rooted, the phone goes in and deletes the master gmail account?

... cause that's what happened to me and now I cant access most of the poo poo on my phone (market, etc) because the master gmail account that I have been using for 7 years, mysteriously got deleted the day after I rooted my phone. Now, I cant figure out how to reset the phone so I can use a new master account.

Wait, it deleted it completely? Like the email address you've been using for seven years no longer exist? That sounds horrible.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

internet inc posted:

Awesome. I'm going to start rooting using this guide : http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-root-nexus-s-running-android-2-3-gingerbread/ unless there are better ones out there?
Sorry about the lateish response, was traveling.

Anyways, I don't actually own a Nexus S so I can't provide much first hand experience. That said, my concern with the guide you linked to is that it's rather old, dating to the release of the GT-i9020T that's AWS UMTS compatible, and inevitably the software images are probably out of date.

To be honest, I'd just follow the xda i9020A rooting thread. Yes reading xda can be suicidal at times, but usually the OPs are pretty reasonable, particular for a high profile device like the Nexus S. Most of the steps look the same anyways, it's just updated packages.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

Uh...what? I can't see how Android, let alone an Android mod, could even do this. Something else entirely happened.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Gonkish posted:

Well if this means they're trying to make it impossible to root the phone, they're bastards. I'm loving glad I rooted this thing as quickly as I did, and I can't imagine not having it rooted.
I've mentioned it a few times either here or in the devices thread, but it's probably worth repeating.

The days of one-click roots are over.

Or to be more specific, the days where a single root exploit was capable of reliably one-click (temp) rooting every Froyo-and-before Android device on the market are over.

Root exploits, as their name suggest, exploits vulnerabilities in the operating system so that a riff-raff application can gain root privileges. Yes, they're great tools (but not perfect) for enabling users to take control of their devices. However, the very same exploits can be used by malware to bypass the Android permission mechanisms and do a bunch of poo poo with your phone you wouldn't want happening.

So here's the deal. When the first of the big-time root exploits hit last year, Google did little to mop up the situation. They patched the issue in Gingerbread but all Froyo devices were left vulnerable. Initially this was great, folks could root their phones. Then a bunch of malware started showing up, and there's been at least two or three malware purges on the Market of 30ish apps all containing a copy of rage (or equivalent) and doing varyingly-nasty things. Unfortunately that means we've hit the last stop on the root gravy train as Google had to respond to the security concern or risk Android turning into a malware cesspool.

To do that, Google has been (i) actively backporting security patches to older Gingerbread releases, and (ii) adding security vulnerability tests to their compatibility test suites which manufacturers are required to pass in order to ship a phone/ROM/update containing licensed Google apps and/or the Android Market.

Which means the only way we can reliably root now is through manufacturer-blessed mechanisms. Fortunately the root train ran long enough that users have forced the hands of HTC and Motorola to at least claim they'll allow folks to root their devices, even if that functionality has not been made available to all their devices yet.

So blame HTC for not unlocking their phones quickly enough. However, don't blame HTC for patching security issues in OTA updates as (i) Google is forcing them to, and (ii) they really should be doing it anyways.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

My gingerbread stock browser is being unresponsive to anything. Is there a way I can reinstall it?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

TheReverend posted:

My gingerbread stock browser is being unresponsive to anything. Is there a way I can reinstall it?

Did you try going into app settings and clearing out data?

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Codiusprime posted:

Wait, it deleted it completely? Like the email address you've been using for seven years no longer exist? That sounds horrible.

yes, exactly this happened.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

See what the guy above said, that sounds impossible. Root access on your phone should have nothing to do with your google account. Still though, horrible. However it happened you have my sympathy. I can see how this could potentially be devastating.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

That just doesn't seem possible. I'm going to just go out on a limb and say that it isn't.

As far as I'm aware, this is the only way to remove a GMail account and even that is reversible.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Which means the only way we can reliably root now is through manufacturer-blessed mechanisms. Fortunately the root train ran long enough that users have forced the hands of HTC and Motorola to at least claim they'll allow folks to root their devices, even if that functionality has not been made available to all their devices yet.

So as of right now, the only manufacturer that has stepped up to the plate and offered a solution to both our bootloader and our security issues is....Sony

:negative:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I flashed CM7 onto my phone...and there's no Android Market on there. I know this thing is meant to be bare bones but is it just me or is this going a bit too far?

Anyway, I Googled the issue and I found two different Android Market APKs and neither worked. One closes as soon as I click it, and the other closes as soon as it asks me if I want to add my account to it.

Please someone help me figure this out before I leave for a huge trip for tomorrow :ohdear:

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Hamburglar posted:

I flashed CM7 onto my phone...and there's no Android Market on there. I know this thing is meant to be bare bones but is it just me or is this going a bit too far?

Anyway, I Googled the issue and I found two different Android Market APKs and neither worked. One closes as soon as I click it, and the other closes as soon as it asks me if I want to add my account to it.

Please someone help me figure this out before I leave for a huge trip for tomorrow :ohdear:

You need to flash the Cyanogenmod Gapps (Google Apps) zip from recovery as well.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
^^
gapps link. Google said that cyanogen can't distribute gapps with his rom a while back.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Good job not reading the thread for your phone on the CM forums! You have to flash the Google apps package as a seperate .zip file. It doesn't include this because Google sent Cyanogen a C&D like 2 years ago.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, thanks so much. I wonder why the other BAMF ROM I was using had it then? I guess they just fly under the radar or something?

Sorry for asking dumb questions; I'm really new to android and the CM7 OP made brief mention of something called gapps without even a link or an explanation of what it was.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hamburglar posted:

I wonder why the other BAMF ROM I was using had it then? I guess they just fly under the radar or something?
ROMs typically don't have licenses to redistribute all the proprietary stuff they come with. Every once in a while there's a story about xda getting a C&D or something, but for the most part it's overlooked.

CyanogenMod however, got a C&D from Google early on. But pretty quickly they worked out an arrangement where the Google licensed apps could be distributed in a separate package. Which is for the better anyways, so that there's clear separation between open source and proprietary components, and so that it's clear that there's no issues with redistribution of the ROMs themselves.

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

LastInLine posted:

That just doesn't seem possible. I'm going to just go out on a limb and say that it isn't.

As far as I'm aware, this is the only way to remove a GMail account and even that is reversible.

well reversible is a relative term... the questions they ask you to verify yourself as the owner of the account, are almost impossible to answer... unless you document every second of your life in multiple places.

for example.. they ask for the creation date of the account.. specific date, month, day and year. they also ask for the specific month day and year of the creation of other Google services such as youtube, Google docs, etc... I don't know about you... but if I had access to my 6-7 year old account, I'd be able to tell you those specifics.

either way.. was just wondering if maybe the phone had something to do with it.. and I guess it doesn't, I must be on the receiving end of some hackers idea of a joke.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Codiusprime posted:

Did you try going into app settings and clearing out data?

Yeah, nothing seemed to work. I ended up just wiping and putting 7.1RC1 on my phone instead of 7.0.3. Works fine now.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

ROMs typically don't have licenses to redistribute all the proprietary stuff they come with. Every once in a while there's a story about xda getting a C&D or something, but for the most part it's overlooked.

CyanogenMod however, got a C&D from Google early on. But pretty quickly they worked out an arrangement where the Google licensed apps could be distributed in a separate package. Which is for the better anyways, so that there's clear separation between open source and proprietary components, and so that it's clear that there's no issues with redistribution of the ROMs themselves.

Thanks a lot. I am really enjoying CM7 so far, even though it's supposedly in beta mode on the Thunderbolt. Their thread stated a bug is "very slow to get GPS lock". No idea what they're talking about, it actually seemed way faster. It's also really cool that when I open up Navigation it automatically turns the GPS on. With the old ROM I was using, you'd have to remember to turn it on first.

I was also amazed when I flashed the new ROM and installed the Market, it just started downloading all my apps again and installing them. Really awesome.

Only thing I really miss from Sense was when I'd click on contacts, a big phone pad would come up, making it super easy to fly through my contacts. Now I have to hit search, then start typing with a tiny keyboard. Meh, I'll live.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

big mean giraffe posted:

It depends on the type of vulnerability.

If we're talking about something that can be exploited entirely on the device sort of like the various incarnations of JailbreakMe for the iDevices, then yes it's a serious security risk. When the problem is only exploitable through some magic incantations over ADB and requires that the phone be physically connected to another device, then I have a lot harder of a time agreeing that it matters at all to Joe User. Yes, that does mean it's still technically possible for someone to install malicious software on your device if they gain physical access to it, but we've gone from "could exploit thousands automatically without them noticing" to "could attack someone who's being specifically targeted, if it's possible to get a few minutes alone with their phone". That's a significant difference.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
A significant difference but a vulnerability none the less. Pretty sure given the choice between leaving a known exploit open to please 2% of their customers and closing it making it a non issue for the other 98%, well I think it's obvious which they would go with.

And seriously, in the end it's probably going to be nothing more than an inconvenience for the 2% that care.

I see what you're saying and agree but from their point of view I think the answer is pretty clear.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
They're writing an app to take advantage of that vulnerability so it is possible VIA means other than adb.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

wolrah posted:

When the problem is only exploitable through some magic incantations over ADB and requires that the phone be physically connected to another device, then I have a lot harder of a time agreeing that it matters at all to Joe User.

Is there anything that can be done on ADB that can't be done on the device itself? I thought it was equivalent to running a terminal application on the phone, so that means any application could issue the same commands.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

This is really strange but it seems like my Verizon voicemail is broken. Judging by the number, CenturyLink are the assholes who left the voicemail. When I try to play it, part of the voicemail program speech gets cut off and and it ignores my keypresses telling it to play the message. The dialer also gets really laggy. I can't really navigate via keypresses at all and have to hang up without listening to or deleting the message. It also sends tons of voicemail notifications that just ding over and over. I rebooted the phone and it made no difference.

Could this have anything to do with CM7 or is my voicemail just being stupid? I got a voicemail the other day and listened to it just fine while using CM7 so I don't get it. I didn't even know something like voicemail could get broken.

scrub
Jul 9, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

My Evo GPS on Savage Zen has been sucking, so I figure it is time for a GPS refresh. So i follow the standard following:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/fzqnc/evo_cyanogenmod_7_gps_fixprls_and_htc_sense/

I flashed to Fresh, And it just freezes on the dialpad (I have my MSL, it just never asks for it). Anyone know if there is a newer way to fix the GPS for the Evo to run stock Gingerbread ROMs like CM7 and Savage Zen with working GPS?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=14534313&postcount=2478

I posted this a while back, has totally fixed my GPS problems. I'm on CM7.1 nightly 94.

This is a collection of various GPS fixes for the EVO in case that doesn't work:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1132412

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

HondaCivet posted:

This is really strange but it seems like my Verizon voicemail is broken.

Start using Google Voice instead. It's free and superior to carrier voicemail.