Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

particle409 posted:

I don't know when they added it, but Dirty Jobs is now on Instant! If you've never seen this show, Mike Rowe does a good job of showing some of the hosed up jobs that keeps our country running. The only episode that really freaked me out a bit was the tannery one. I swear I could smell that place through my tv screen. It's season 3, episode 3.

Yeah it's been there forever but is a really good show.

It's good to list some highlight episodes. From the top of my head, memorable ones include:

-for sheer grossness, the one in the San Francisco sewer/septic facility is the worst in my opinion.

-Louisiana bug exterminator team of guy and his cute wife (later spun off into a bad spinoff reality show) clearing a billion roaches out of a mobile home, difficult to imagine people actually living in there

-the one where Mike had to do the ?goat? castration with his teeth

-tannery one is good

-the one where he worked in the slime eel/lamprey thingy processing center, those things are really disgusting

Anyway those were some particularly good ones to look out for. Mike Rowe is great and I hope he has a long and prosperous life. FYI his background includes opera singing and being a host on QVC. You can find snippet videos on Youtube of him hawking stupid crap with an ironic grin on his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!
This seems like as good a place as any to post the NetFlix synopsis of Hercules in the Underworld:

quote:

Filmmaker Daniel Anker examines Hollywood's depiction of the holocaust and its incomprehensible atrocities in this award winning documentary narrated by Gene Hackman and featuring interviews with Steven Spielberg and Sidney Lumet.

I don't know if Kevin Sorbo can pull it off, but I'm willing to find out.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Is netflix worth it for Canadians? I had a free trial a while back and it seemed almost everything I wanted to watch was only available in the states. Any Canadians have any input?

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
I'm not in Canada myself, but I have heard some success stories while using a proxy, did you try that when you had the trial?

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

XdsXc posted:

Is netflix worth it for Canadians? I had a free trial a while back and it seemed almost everything I wanted to watch was only available in the states. Any Canadians have any input?

It's not that great still for new releases or tv shows. I constantly get my 8 bucks a month out of it though with the older stuff. Here's a site to show what's been added to Canada's netflix http://app.whatsnewonnetflix.com/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It has some good stuff in the TV section.

All 4 seasons of Mad Men, season 1 of Justified, Community season 1, 2 seasons of Weeds, all 3 Arrested Development seasons, 1-4 of Rescue Me etc.

The movie selection is just okay. Seems to be mostly comedies and B movies.

DarkSun6890 posted:

I'm not in Canada myself, but I have heard some success stories while using a proxy, did you try that when you had the trial?

You would need a proxy/VPN and a credit card with a US billing address to use the American Netflix in Canada.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

Aphrodite posted:

It has some good stuff in the TV section.

All 4 seasons of Mad Men, season 1 of Justified, Community season 1, 2 seasons of Weeds, all 3 Arrested Development seasons, 1-4 of Rescue Me etc.

The movie selection is just okay. Seems to be mostly comedies and B movies.

You would need a proxy/VPN and a credit card with a US billing address to use the American Netflix in Canada.

Mad Men and Community are out now?

But I just started Sons of Anarchy. :ohdear:

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
^Sons of Anarchy is loving AWESOME. I just finished s3 a few days ago and I think it was a weaker season overall but the finale was great.

Katey Sagal is the best character. And it has Tommy Flanagan and he's awesome. And season 2 has Henry Rollins! :neckbeard:

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
Mad Men is not on instant...

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
^^
It is in Canada!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, the stuff I listed is mostly Canada only, I believe.

I know Mad Men, Community and Justified definitely are. The rest I'm not sure on.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Mad Men will be up in the US on the 27th

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
We were promised Frasier dammit. Where is it?

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
Reboot is now on streaming. awesome.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
To keep on the path of interesting Korean movies on Netflix, I caught one last night called R-Point and it was pretty well done. It also had a fairly interesting setting in that it was during the Vietnam War but with Koreans helping to fight off the VC, but the main meat of the story was that they had received a troubling radio call from a missing unit and they send a search team to go find the missing unit. Except that the place they are sent, R-Point, is apparently cursed with the blood of a bunch of dead Vietnamese who were killed by Chinese and the dead there don't take kindly to people with blood on their hands. It was a genuinely creepy film and actually had really good production values, so catch it if you can.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
My Name is Bruce is awesome. Bruce Campell produces and directs in a spoof of his own movies.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Does anyone know of any really good horror movies available for instant steaming?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Does anyone know of any really good horror movies available for instant steaming?

Run through a couple pages back and add pretty much every Korean thriller/horror mentioned.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Such as the one I made two posts up.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Niggurath posted:

Such as the one I made two posts up.
Yeah, sorry, I didn't read through the thread well because I was busy scrolling through netflix.

Exclusive
Jan 1, 2008

Robert E. Lee posted:

Reboot is now on streaming. awesome.

This along with mid-90s X-Men and Spider-Man is great. I can watch all in their entirety without my mom interrupting me to mow the lawn or some dumb poo poo.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Try Cigarette Burns, it's one of John Carpenter's Masters of Horror entries. The Exorcist and The Thing are on there and are both classic. Less well known but totally loving awesome is The Signal.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Dead Cow posted:

My Name is Bruce is awesome. Bruce Campell produces and directs in a spoof of his own movies.

I will vouch for this. His character is absolutely hilarious, and practically an older, more bitter and jaded Ash from AoD.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
I tried watching some of the Stargate series. There's a few of them up, are any of them good? I watched 3 full episodes of the one with MacGyver, and it's terrible. I've been trying to watch SG: Universe, but it's not much better.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Homeybeef posted:

Mad Men will be up in the US on the 27th

Fantastic. Great news. I haven't even seen a Mad Men commercial. I'm looking forward to starting that show based on the hype/reviews :).

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

particle409 posted:

I tried watching some of the Stargate series. There's a few of them up, are any of them good? I watched 3 full episodes of the one with MacGyver, and it's terrible. I've been trying to watch SG: Universe, but it's not much better.

Stargate SG-1 gets better, but if you didn't like the first few you probably won't like the rest of the show. They eventually drop the translate thing and the historical earth cultures transported to some other planet stops too.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Just started watching Luther. First episode was good and I'm just starting the second but what is the deal with the titles? They're named 7 through 12 sequentially on netflix, am I missing something? I didn't see anything in episode 1 to make the name "Seven" make sense.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jibo posted:

This is an interesting article. I'd like to know why the author hastily dismisses an increase in licensing and distribution costs, however. Also, I have to disagree about it now just being an "average deal". $16 a month still isn't that much.

I haven't subscribed to netflix in years and I remember paying about 17 dollars a month for a dvd only plan before the streaming service was launched.

Because of the price increase, my roommate that lets me use his account is cancelling his service so I guess I am going to have to sign up again (just streaming). I guess they are going to lose and gain a customer at the same time because of the increase.

Honestly I think Netflix provides more entertainment than cable which costs five times as much, and unless things have changed since I was a member their business practices are much less shady and constricting as cable providers.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

particle409 posted:

SG1 and SGU are the two best. SG: Atlantis is terrible unless you like plots that go nowhere, poorly written (and sometimes forgotten) characters, Milquetoast leading men, and bad guys that are just charismatic jerks (although SGI had the latter two in spades toward the end). SG1 was okay because I watched it pretty much from the beginning and by the time my tastes matured I was already hooked. SGU was well written and well acted (comparatively to most SF series) and I never really understood why people hated it although it is bleak and the polar opposite of the previous series.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Here are some movies I recommend.

Black Death - Period drama starring Sean Bean as the leader of religious brigade sent to hunt down a necromancer. It's pretty slow, but it's nice to look at and the acting is solid. I enjoyed it.

For The Bible Tells Me So - Documentary about Christianity and homosexuality. I found it really insightful and well done.

After Innocence - Documentary about men who were released from prison after DNA testing proved they were innocent. Really fascinating look at the justice system and how poorly we treat accused criminals.

As far as something I wouldn't recommend? The movie Dahmer starring Jeremy Renner. I watched it because I like Renner a lot, and he does a great job in it, but the movie is just... eh. It's so blase about its subject matter that it doesn't really get much feeling out of the viewer. There's no insight or even real attempt to try to understand the person it's about and it just didn't feel worth sitting through by the time it was over. The best thing I can say about it is that it didn't really feel exploitative, as serial killer docudramas can tend to be.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

This

Just popped up :wtc:

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
This isn't newly available, as it's been on there for awhile, but I just watched Gosford Park last night, and it was pretty damned good. For a movie where not a ton happens and it being 2.5 hours long, it went by damned quickly, and it has a shitload of stars in it. I guess that's what makes Altman great, though.

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
So I just watched the remake of The Fly, starring Jeff Goldblum. It was amazing. However:

:barf:

Please recommend me something uplifting and not gross.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Space Precinct, some U.K. sci-fi from 94, is alright.

It's serious business cop show set on another planet with creatures that look similar to characters from Dinosaurs.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Jibo posted:

This is an interesting article. I'd like to know why the author hastily dismisses an increase in licensing and distribution costs, however. Also, I have to disagree about it now just being an "average deal". $16 a month still isn't that much.

He dismisses it because he is a bad journalist, and he is basically taking the corporate response at face value without actually reading between the lines. If someone goes "it wasn't about rising licensing costs" only to follow it with "our costs are rising and we need to price things sustainably" it is pretty clear they just don't want to piss off their content providers by calling them out.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I never watched the 90s X-Men series. Does it hold up, or should I pass?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The smoothness and flash you expect from modern cartoons is pretty absent but it is still a fun show.

sponsz
Aug 28, 2005

By the whiskers of Kurvi-Tasch!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD_Xb512Avc . Do you still want to watch the show? If so, it totally holds up to your expectations

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

JLightning posted:

Just started watching Luther. First episode was good and I'm just starting the second but what is the deal with the titles? They're named 7 through 12 sequentially on netflix, am I missing something? I didn't see anything in episode 1 to make the name "Seven" make sense.

You're watching Season Two, which starts with the 7th episode of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm thinking about getting an Amazon Prime account because of their streaming video service. Even if I do, I'm not going to abandon my Netflix, even with the price increase. My question is, is it worth it to get Prime just for the video library? Are there any sites that index the content in the same way instantwatcher.com indexes stuff for Netflix Watch Instantly? Are there any good articles or blog posts I should read about Amazon's streaming video service? If I'm going to spend the drat money I want to be informed, and I don't want to buy something I don't need and won't use.

• Locked thread