Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
After the Coen's True Grit, I'd like more films with well-done unconventional dialogue. Pretty wide range, but I'd be good for anything, preferably in English.

I've seen some of the obvious ones I could think of (David Mamet films, a bit of noir, adaptations of plays), but any suggestions are welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Fag Boy Jim posted:

After the Coen's True Grit, I'd like more films with well-done unconventional dialogue. Pretty wide range, but I'd be good for anything, preferably in English.

I've seen some of the obvious ones I could think of (David Mamet films, a bit of noir, adaptations of plays), but any suggestions are welcome.

David Milch is known for his unconventional dialogue, so check out his TV shows Deadwood and John From Cincinnati.

But as for film, maybe Noah Baumbach, early Neil LaBute, and Whit Stillman.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

You up on Hal Hartley? Kinda like if Lynch directed a Woody Allen script. I recommend Trust and Surviving Desire.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Brace posted:

Recommend me a some-what modern to modern comedy. A real good one. I've seen most of the popular ones like :

Role Models
Hangover
Wedding Crashers
etc,

Observe and Report is by far my favourite Seth Rogan comedy, and it's probably best you don't spoil it for yourself because most of its brilliance comes from going in fairly blind like I did. I will say that the parallels with a similar looking Kevin James film that came out around the same time doesn't do it any favours.

It has the most convincing portrayal of a genuinely mentally ill person i've seen in a film that simultaneously had the most racist portrayal of a Mexican. Pure gold

Can anyone reccommend me some mental humerous action films in the vein of the Nevaldine/Taylor films (Crank, Gamer etc). I've seen Wanted, Kick rear end, both Crank films, the Lethal Weapon quadrilogy, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and assorted other films but i'm looking for similar or out of the blue mind blowing films in the same ilk

Polite Tim fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 2, 2011

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Brace posted:

Recommend me a some-what modern to modern comedy. A real good one. I've seen most of the popular ones like :

Role Models
Hangover
Wedding Crashers
etc,

Swingers and Made are great movies that bring tears to the eyes when I think about how far Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau fell after they got famous. Putting their comedic integrity up wholesale and plummeting into awful movies like Four Christmases, and Couples Retreat.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 2, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Polite Tim posted:

Can anyone reccommend me some mental humerous action films in the vein of the Nevaldine/Taylor films (Crank, Gamer etc). I've seen Wanted, Kick rear end, both Crank films, the Lethal Weapon quadrilogy, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and assorted other films but i'm looking for similar or out of the blue mind blowing films in the same ilk

From writer Shane Black, who created Lethal Weapon and wrote and directed Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, watch The Last Boy Scout (Bruce Willis/Damon Wayans) and The Long Kiss Goodnight (Geena Davis/Samuel L. Jackson). Both are underrated, awesome '90s action/buddy/comedies.

If you want awe-inspiring stunt work but are willing to ease up on plot and acting expectations, the French action movie Banlieue 13 (aka District B-13) is INCREDIBLE.

Of course you can't go wrong with old-school John Woo: The Killer, Hard Boiled, and even his first American film, Hard Target (Van Damme with a mullet vs. Lance Hendricksen and Arnold Vosloo in New Orleans) are amazing action movies. Hell, even Face/Off is great, with John Travolta and Nic Cage having the time of their lives copying each other's mannerisms.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

codyclarke posted:

I've been on a prison movie kick lately. Any recommendations?

Cell 211 is a great Spanish prison film.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Need some help. Tonight my flatmate is out drinking and I'll be at home watching some movie with his girlfriend. We have differing movie tastes in many areas but we can generally agree on some things.

She's a big no on sci-fi and war movies but can do most other things.

I'll watch anything as long as it's not terrible (all the epic movie etc things are out) and would prefer no gore movies like Saw.

Since it's just the two of us, I'd also like to avoid romantic dramas and to an extent romantic comedies, as that would be awkward. If it's a funny movie with a bit of romance, sure, no problem.

Things we've previously watched together (usually with my flatmate around) and enjoyed include The Social Network and Easy A to name a couple examples.

A high school/college age drama with some comedy would be great, although other things could work too. We've both watched Mean Girls as well, so that's out too.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The Mash posted:

A high school/college age drama with some comedy would be great, although other things could work too. We've both watched Mean Girls as well, so that's out too.

Have you two seen Superbad yet?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Yeah forgot to mention that, sorry, would've been perfect otherwise

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

The Mash posted:

Yeah forgot to mention that, sorry, would've been perfect otherwise
Little Miss Sunshine

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Mash posted:

Election?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

The Mash posted:

Ghost World?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Mash posted:

Heathers, Easy A, Heathers.

More people need to see Heathers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Looking for two recommendations:

One for anything as sleazy and gross as Fulci's New York Ripper.

The other is for any sci-fi movie that lives up to it's title crawl or voiceover.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One for anything as sleazy and gross as Fulci's New York Ripper.

Maniac
Driller Killer
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Man Bites Dog

While none of these are as aggressively gory as New York Ripper, they contain a similar sadistic quality. If gross is your main request, check out Braindead (Dead Alive) if you haven't.

Or if you want TRULY sleazy and gross, you can watch August Underground's Mordum, but I don't actually recommend it.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Sand Monster posted:

Have you two seen Superbad yet?

Superbad was a drama? I would never ever put Superbad in the same category as loving Social Network. What the hell?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

the Bunt posted:

Superbad was a drama? I would never ever put Superbad in the same category as loving Social Network. What the hell?

Fits with Easy A and Mean Girls though. You know, the OTHER movies he mentioned in his post.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Brace posted:

Role Models
Hangover
Wedding Crashers
etc,
You should check out Very Bad Things, a dark comedy about a bachelor party with problems. Don't watch the trailer, just rent the movie. Trust me on this.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 9, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

caiman posted:

Maniac
Driller Killer
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Man Bites Dog

While none of these are as aggressively gory as New York Ripper, they contain a similar sadistic quality. If gross is your main request, check out Braindead (Dead Alive) if you haven't.

Or if you want TRULY sleazy and gross, you can watch August Underground's Mordum, but I don't actually recommend it.

I've seen all of those, neither is anywhere near as tacky and tasteless as New York Ripper. Driller Killer sort of comes close, Bill Lustig movies are too fun to be truly meanspirited. I made it through like half of Mordum and I'd almost say it's a different kind of movie. Great list though.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My favorite films are ones that promote a lot of reflection afterwards, movies that really hit you hard and resonate emotionally, what makes this more specific and less vague, I like really artsy films that are rather unusual in some way or the other.

The Tree of Life for example, is my recent favorite, it was different in how the narrative was set-up, and the universe scenes really gave it something powerful. The film made me realize how small, and yet, how big our lives are, and not only that, but the music, the way the film was shot, and the sheer weight it granted each and every event within it just left me astounded.

A few other films that have done this to me include Magnolia, 2001: A Space Odyssey, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Come and See, There Will Be Blood, A Clockwork Orange, Eraserhead.

What a lot of those movies have in common is that they have absolutely explosive, cathartic endings.

Pretty wide request, but recommend me your most powerful, though-provoking, emotionally resonating, and cathartic films you can, good heapings of melodrama.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

JebanyPedal posted:

My favorite films are ones that promote a lot of reflection afterwards, movies that really hit you hard and resonate emotionally, what makes this more specific and less vague, I like really artsy films that are rather unusual in some way or the other.

The Tree of Life for example, is my recent favorite, it was different in how the narrative was set-up, and the universe scenes really gave it something powerful. The film made me realize how small, and yet, how big our lives are, and not only that, but the music, the way the film was shot, and the sheer weight it granted each and every event within it just left me astounded.

A few other films that have done this to me include Magnolia, 2001: A Space Odyssey, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Come and See, There Will Be Blood, A Clockwork Orange, Eraserhead.

What a lot of those movies have in common is that they have absolutely explosive, cathartic endings.

Pretty wide request, but recommend me your most powerful, though-provoking, emotionally resonating, and cathartic films you can, good heapings of melodrama.

All That Heaven Allows.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

JebanyPedal posted:

You've likely seen it, but Taxi Driver always has that effect on me. Also, Irreversible will leave you pretty emotionally drained. And The Exterminating Angel definitely fits your "artsy and unusual" requirement and is also intensely thought-provoking. Also check out The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover for one humdinger of an ending.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

JebanyPedal posted:

I recommend Synecdoche, New York SO hard, and to a lesser extent Adaptation and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

And since you like Malick, be sure to check out David Gordon Green's George Washington.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Thanks everyone, I've jotted these all down and intend to start with All That Heaven Allows, which, judging by the IMDB page, looks to be right up my alley.

I have seen Taxi Driver, and it also fits the criteria, great movie.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

JebanyPedal posted:

You're describing most movies by Darren Aronofsky. You've probably seen them already, but if you haven't, start with Pi, it's sort of the Jewish Eraserhead.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

JebanyPedal posted:

I recommend Atonement and Stalker.

And I have not seen George Washington and All That Heaven Allows, so definitely checking them out.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Could someone recommend something with the same "one night spiraling further and further out of control" dynamic as After Hours, Eyes Wide Shut, or Collateral?

Genre and tone don't matter, it's just something I'm a complete sucker for, like "people who don't know each other trying to figure out a bigger puzzle."

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

Could someone recommend something with the same "one night spiraling further and further out of control" dynamic as After Hours, Eyes Wide Shut, or Collateral?

Genre and tone don't matter, it's just something I'm a complete sucker for, like "people who don't know each other trying to figure out a bigger puzzle."

Chinese Coffee!

Herr R.
Apr 26, 2008

Power of Pecota posted:

Running Scared got panned by critics but was succesful with its target audience (40% on Rotten Tomatoes vs 7.5 on IMDb). It's a fast paced MacGuffin hunt with at least one very memorable episode.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Herr R. posted:

Running Scared got panned by critics but was succesful with its target audience (40% on Rotten Tomatoes vs 7.5 on IMDb). It's a fast paced MacGuffin hunt with at least one very memorable episode.

Seconded. It's one of my favorite guilty pleasure films

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Power of Pecota posted:

I just watched His Girl Friday and it definitely fits this description.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'll make sure to check out Chinese Coffee! I've seen Running Scared and I really enjoyed it too, especially after I made the whole modern fairy tale element connection.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

The Celebration is an amazing film that everyone should see, and it fits your criteria perfectly.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I am looking for books or movies with stories similiar to Amnesia: The Dark Descent or the Penumbra games. That is, a horror/mystery story where the protagonist uncovers more and more of the plot as he goes along. It worked brilliantly in the two games I mentioned, where in the first, the protagonist has amnesia and you are told the plot via flashbacks as you progress, while in the latter, the protagonist seeks refuge in what turns out to be an abandoned science facility on the Northpole. I absolutely love the way those two games slowly uncovered the mystery behind what was going on, but the sense of hopelessness and -- most importantly -- isolation that the stories build around the character are central elements too. Any books or movies in this style would be great!

e: Sorry, I didn't think about the fact that I was doubleposting. Pasted this from a few days old text file so it was a real quick job :(

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

csidle posted:

I am looking for books or movies with stories similiar to Amnesia: The Dark Descent or the Penumbra games. That is, a horror/mystery story where the protagonist uncovers more and more of the plot as he goes along. It worked brilliantly in the two games I mentioned, where in the first, the protagonist has amnesia and you are told the plot via flashbacks as you progress, while in the latter, the protagonist seeks refuge in what turns out to be an abandoned science facility on the Northpole. I absolutely love the way those two games slowly uncovered the mystery behind what was going on, but the sense of hopelessness and -- most importantly -- isolation that the stories build around the character are central elements too. Any books or movies in this style would be great!

e: Sorry, I didn't think about the fact that I was doubleposting. Pasted this from a few days old text file so it was a real quick job :(

Dark City will be perfect. However, only watch the Director's Cut, or if you can't, mute the beginning until it cuts to a bathroom scene to avoid spoilers in the narration.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

csidle posted:

Eden Log is the exact movie you described here.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Mouser.. posted:

Eden Log is the exact movie you described here.

Goddamn that movie was loving strange.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Power of Pecota posted:

Adventures in Babysitting is basically the 80s teen-movie version of After Hours, so you'd probably dig it. The Warriors - a gang in dystopian NY has to find their way home while being hunted by every other gang in the city. Murder, My Sweet - an old film noir with a really labyrinthine plot following a detective as he tries to solve a complicated case. Actually, there's probably a ton of noirs that fit this description (especially The Big Sleep), this is just a good example of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After Rebirth
May 28, 2011

by T. Finn
Looking for films like and Valhalla Rising and Black Death. Looking specifically for the "descent into hell" motif (not interested in Aguirre, which I am sure someone will recommend. Great movie, already seen it).

Like the two preceding, I'd prefer the recommendation to be set in the medieval period. If you can recommend anything that is good set in the time period that lacks the horror/suspense element, by all means do so. Doesn't even have to be set in a real time period/world (i.e. Lord of the Rings).

• Locked thread