Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Costello Jello posted:

Sounds like you should just learn how to use the sprayer, right? Are your parents somewhere where you can't call them to ask? Or just look up the brand and model on the internet yourself to find the manual. I assume it's your garden variety (pun) pump sprayer. It really shouldn't be too difficult.

Pruning all the branches away too much could weaken the bushes even further. Gooseflies tend to lay their eggs in the low center of the plant, so they aren't as noticeable externally to predators until most of them have hatched and started eating their way outward and upward.

If you see leaves with tiny holes, definitely take those leaves off, as they may still contain unhatched eggs, but otherwise you can just pick the larva off. But at this point, just learning to use the sprayer seems the wisest course.

I admit that the pruning was quite an overreaction on my part. I was just so frustrated to see hundreds of these larvae. I guess it is time for me to learn to use the pump. Hopefully it will let up tonight so I can start spraying. They're forecasting rain tonight and tomorrow.

Picking the larvae off one by one is a bit too much work and an exercise in futility. There's so many of them, several on each leave, and we have a lot of these bushes.

Thanks for the advise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I have a quick question. I bought a packet of some variety of heirloom seeds and planted them in a pot. About a month later, once the tomato plant had sprouted, I bought an already established tomato plant of a different variety and planted that in a different pot. Both plants have been growing since, in the same area of the yard, getting the same water, etc. etc., but the plant I grew from seed has yet to show any flowers or tomatoes on it while the other one has 5 little tomatoes growing on it already. Could it just be the differences between different types of tomato plants that's making the one bloom much later, or could there be something wrong with the late bloomer? Both plants look very healthy, so I don't think there's any external problems.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Hey, I just realized there is another Mass goon gardener. Peas will do that this time of year. Sorry about the broccoli, it would have been fine. You can try some potatoes, but it is probably too late. My guess is you would still get a crop and the potatoes themselves would be fine, but they might be smallish and few in number.

Sup fellow Mass gardener. Is your garden depressingly stunted because of our lovely rainy and cold weather in the month of June too? Seems like this time last year I was already picking cucumbers, but I haven't gotten much to show for so far, just one meal's worth of peas. Some of my plants are catching up with a vengeance though.

Of course, I was kind of counting on having enough nutrients left in the soil because it's only my second year using the plot, but looks like I will have to get a nice big truck of horse manure or something for next year.

Bigdee4933
Jun 15, 2006
Bigdee4933

mAlfunkti0n posted:

My question is this. My garden is mostly clay

Add gypsum, kelp meal, and jersey green sand. My teacher has a good log about his giant pumpkins. Check out his soil amendments, we have nasty clay soil here as you can tell by my pictures.

Here is his log http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/DiaryView.asp?season=2011&grower=58033&action=L

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Lyz posted:

Sup fellow Mass gardener. Is your garden depressingly stunted because of our lovely rainy and cold weather in the month of June too? Seems like this time last year I was already picking cucumbers, but I haven't gotten much to show for so far, just one meal's worth of peas. Some of my plants are catching up with a vengeance though.

Of course, I was kind of counting on having enough nutrients left in the soil because it's only my second year using the plot, but looks like I will have to get a nice big truck of horse manure or something for next year.

I got a late start so yeah. It is on (fairly new) ground that was brush and overgrown grass. First year cutworms mowed down about half of what I planted. I heard that was common on new ground so I looked forward to year 2. Same thing.

This year I planted a cover crop of radishes in May and blasted them with BT with the plan that would kill any remaining cutworms. My plan was to let them go a couple weeks and then plant the rest of the garden. Of course it rained and rained so I couldn't plant them as early as I wanted. I didn't plant the garden until first week of June and I was trying to get things to come up in that week it was 90 every day. Then my neighbors dog got in and trampled a bunch of stuff. I've just been lucky like that.

This June was nothing compared to 2009 though and things are catching up. That year was utterly depressing.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Has anyone ever used this: http://www.smartgardener.com/ I'm thinking I need to give it a try next year due to inability to remember when/how much I fertilize and spay SPRAY my apple trees.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 15, 2011

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Anubis posted:

spay my apple trees.

I think I see your problem.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
My chilli and tomato plants got some sunlight once and some of the leaves went white and shrivelled up. Is there any hope for them?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Not for those leaves, but depending on the rest of the plant it's possible they could bounce back.

Today a friend gave me a tomato plant and I was too hungover to remember to ask her what variety it is. The wee thing's only about 25cm tall and already has some flowers up top, should I pinch them off or let it start producing fruit? I don't know if it's a cherry type or bigger tomato variety.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Tomato psyllids again this year!! I'm so pissed. gently caress these invasive bastards!

Started everything from seed this year, no outside plants, so either they overwintered somehow or they traveled from some nearby garden

Totally decimated all of my tomato plants last year, we'll see how terrible the damage is this year

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

pisshead posted:

My chilli and tomato plants got some sunlight once and some of the leaves went white and shrivelled up. Is there any hope for them?

Where are you located at? I'm in Orlando and if my chiles get direct sunlight, they turn yellow and start frantically trying to die off after a day or so.

Just pick the leaves off and give it extra water for a few days and they'll sprout right back. As far as the tomato goes, I don't know what's going on there. Maybe give it some partial shade as well.

I'm pretty sure chile peppers are realistically full-sun only at latitudes above Georgia or so.

Injoduprelo
Sep 30, 2006

Stare long enough, and you may find yourself.
Does anyone have any sage words of advice about the shape of vegetable garden beds? I'm in the process of turning my backyard into a blank slate and I'm planning to make it a productive garden, but I'd also like to make it at least a bit aesthetically pleasing - however I've always found rectangular beds to be pretty uninteresting.

I'm intending to plant ornamentals sporadically between the beds to soften edges, but I'd like to consider alternate shapes of the beds too. I know I should make it so I can reach the centre easily. Has anyone tried other shapes they've found useful?

Injoduprelo fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 26, 2011

MolierePumpsMyNads
May 2, 2011
Well balls, the slugs have eaten my first two courgettes ever produced, and now they've turned nearly white from powdery mildew. loving weather this year.

At least the Cheyennes and Habaneros are doing absolutely amazing. That will probably change now that it's gone cold and rainy.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

Got to love central california gardening. You get TWO seasons!

Here's a video of my current garden setup. It's hot here now, which is great for most of what I grow. Lettuce isn't too happy right now, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6GB1j8Choo

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Narxysus posted:

Does anyone have any sage words of advice about the shape of vegetable garden beds? I'm in the process of turning my backyard into a blank slate and I'm planning to make it a productive garden, but I'd also like to make it at least a bit aesthetically pleasing - however I've always found rectangular beds to be pretty uninteresting.

Right angle triangles can look good if you make sure you make them even and straight. I've also seen people plant annuals in concentric circles around a central berry plant or fruit tree.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Here's my first veggie garden. I spent entirely too much time and effort double-digging into clay hardpan and then screening out 15+ 5-gallon buckets of rocks for a 5x20 foot plot. I'm definitely trying lasagna gardening/sheet mulching for the next one.

From front to back it's carrots, leeks, tomato and peppers, parsnips, potatoes, pumpkin, butternut squash, zucchini and corn.

Bonus picture of my double-pink poppies. I wasn't planning to grow any flowers but someone gave me a bunch of free seeds and these are the only ones that came up. The purple stuff in the back is fireweed, which seems to grow anywhere that I dig.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Just a warning. Your pumpkin plant is going to outgrow that area in a matter of days once it gets going!

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Alterian posted:

Just a warning. Your pumpkin plant is going to outgrow that area in a matter of days once it gets going!

I hope it does. I transplanted it from starts when it was a little too cold and it's been going very, very slowly since then. The potatoes are coming out soonish and will give the pumpkins more room, but I'll probably expand the fence if it starts to get cramped.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Your zuchinni is going to get crowded too. If you follow the square foot gardening method, you want to give them 3'x3' each. Pumpkins are about the same but you could probably do them in 2'x2' if you have a trellis.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I CAME HOME TODAY AND CHECK THIS BAD BOY OUT! He wasn't there two days ago!

Sorry for the caps, but I am that excited. Growing stuff has such a good feeling with it!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
<--- Jealous

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I have a few jalapenos almost ready, but the bell peppers are still in blossom.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

theacox posted:

<--- Jealous

I have a few jalapenos almost ready, but the bell peppers are still in blossom.

I also have a couple Cayenne peppers going too. I planted red/green/cayenne/habenero peppers and they are all going (blossoms mostly). I have some potato plants that came up, our cantaloupe is going well (blossoms, no fruit yet), broccoli plants are huge but nothing yet to even try to harvest. Planted some kentucky wonder beans tonight and some carrots, hope those go.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I've already picked 4 large (like, 6-8 inches long) serranos off my plant, but my jalapeno hasn't produced anything yet. :(

Probably because I'm the idiot who put it in the same 4x4 bed with 2 zucchini plants, 2 cucumber plants (which have been producing like motherfuckers), and a summer squash.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I have some jalapenos on my plants. I picked one way too soon. It wasn't hot at all.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Sorry for the caps, but I am that excited. Growing stuff has such a good feeling with it!

I have a pepper plant in a pot out back that grows peppers that are that same shape, but they stop growing and turn red at right about that size. I thought they might just be undernourished bell peps or something, so i took one off the plant and rinsed it and took a big ol' bite.

It was actually pretty drat hot so I don't know what I've got growing back there.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
Jalapenos, you say?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Corla Plankun posted:

I have a pepper plant in a pot out back that grows peppers that are that same shape, but they stop growing and turn red at right about that size. I thought they might just be undernourished bell peps or something, so i took one off the plant and rinsed it and took a big ol' bite.

It was actually pretty drat hot so I don't know what I've got growing back there.

Hmm. I kinda forgot what all plants I put in what location in the pepper bed. Perhaps this is the fate of my little greenie then as well. I will post back when it gets to eating time.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So I am starting to think Ohio magically moved and transplanted itself somewhere in a tropical climate, because I am pretty sure I had a typhoon pass over this evening. Rain, hail and seriously high winds. So much rain that my entire yard was flooded and under my house in the crawl space is now filled with water (currently pumping it out ...).

My poor stakes for my beans to eventually climb up (plated 2 days ago, for the heck of it) were blown over and two of my bean seeds were pulled up too, both with one really long starting root.

I hope the water drains off quickly, but how well can beans do while sitting in super damp soil? I don't think were supposed to have anymore rain for awhile, it was 100+ here today too.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
This past April I decided to try my hand at gardening. I live in a small apartment with a small backyard. Not wanting to sacrifice what little leisure turf I had, I decided to annex the vacant lot next to me.

On top of all the weeds and roots, I had a rock problem.

But, in the end I prevailed and had myself a nice plot that wouldn't be too overwhelming.

My first batch of seeds universally died (too cold methinks). I prepared backups fortunately, and it wasn't long before I had my first sprouts.

I did quite a few transfers from pot to pot, then to garden. I also expanded and tilled another plot about half the size of the original.

Before I knew it, my cucumbers had taken off. I was also pleased to see that some tree frogs had taken up residence.

Worse than the cucumbers though, was the choking hold my ONE watermelon cast on the second plot. I had no idea the thing would go this wild.

Current state of my plot, taken a few days ago. My cucumbers and tomatos are doing great. My green pepper are still small, as are the eggplant. Soybeans seem really tiny and stunted, but have pods on them. Let's hope I don't screw up (moreso?).

One of three watermelons! I hope these guys don't die on me.

Guess where I live. :)

I'm pretty pleased with how things turned out, even if a few of my plants are stunted. Hopefully next year I won't gently caress up as much and I'll have an even more kickass garden. My only problem now is figuring out what the hell I'm going to do with all the cucumbers.

Enigmatic Troll
Nov 28, 2006

I'm gonna be there! I got to see!
Some evil bastard has come up onto my back porch every night for the last week and is munching on any tomato/pepper that has any red on it. He took out my remaining heirlooms and almost all of my red chile peppers that I now doubt I will ever get to find out how they taste. I was very excited to see a couple of bell peppers start to turn red - I thought I only had green ones - only to discover the bottoms halves had been gnawed off. This morning I found that he had taken a bite out of the only jalapeno that had any red. He doesn't seem to like those as much - I hope he gets blisters. Squirrel? Raccoon? Possum? I'm leaning towards raccoon - I don't think the others would be color discriminating.

To add insult to injury, he also shat on my deck.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I get squirrels that only eat my red tomatoes, so they can definitely differentiate them in some fashion. I usually put down a sprinkling of blood meal to scare the buggers off.

Enigmatic Troll
Nov 28, 2006

I'm gonna be there! I got to see!

Marchegiana posted:

I get squirrels that only eat my red tomatoes, so they can definitely differentiate them in some fashion. I usually put down a sprinkling of blood meal to scare the buggers off.

Whatever's doing it is doing it at night, so I'm still thinking raccoon. Also by the size of the dump he took. Unless squirrels are nocturnal and I don't know it. I can't lay up and shoot him because I'm in a condo. I'd leave the dogs on the back porch but I know the Pyrenees would bark all night and possibly jump over the rails to her death if it showed up.

Blood meal? Would it work on a variety of critters or just squirrels? I've been told that fabric softener sheets put on the plants might repel varmints due to the smell. Any thoughts?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Trivia posted:

Guess where I live. :)

Is that Mount Shasta, or is it Mount Fuji?

Also you dug hella deep to even find that boulder! I only dig about 30cm deep.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I was advised to dig deep to break up any clay or roots, and to find stones. After finding all the stones and boulders, I had a sneaking suspicion it was all one big joke on me.

And yes, that's Mt. Fuji.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Trivia posted:

I was advised to dig deep to break up any clay or roots, and to find stones. After finding all the stones and boulders, I had a sneaking suspicion it was all one big joke on me.

It turns out you were supposed to make a Japanese rock garden.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Marchegiana posted:

Or you could grow some green tomatoes like green zebra

Also good to grow in front yards where you feel some unscrupulous passerby might snatch red tomatoes; they won't touch green

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Welp. Squash vine borers killed my zucchini patch while I was out of the house for a couple days. Damnit.

Still about eight million cherry tomatoes on, though, and the peppers are just starting to set...

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Welp. Squash vine borers killed my zucchini patch while I was out of the house for a couple days. Damnit.

I hate those bastards so much, I like most bugs but I want these ones wiped off the face of the earth. This year I tried keeping my squash under row cover, but they burst out from under the cover. I can see the beginnings of the borer attack (frass/poop at the bottom of my squash plants) and I don't really want to do the surgery to remove them yet. I buried some later nodes of my viney squash and am hoping that they will set more roots, but the bush-like summer zucchini plants are on their own :(

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Is it recommended to put cucumbers up onto lattice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

MarshallX posted:

Is it recommended to put cucumbers up onto lattice?

If it's secured well to whatever it's leaning against, then you should have a problem. Cukes are excellent climbers. I'd probably try it with a gradient rather than a sheer face, and pick them before they get to monster size (about 15cm is a good size).

Tell me if you have any problems. My Turkish friend is begging me to grow cucumbers, she hates the massive ones they sell in the supermarkets over here.