Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I don't suppose anyone has contacts at Sucker Punch?

Not really looking yet, figure I might try this whole "indie" thing in the near future, but... in a few years... Sucker Punch is pretty boss, and Washington is boss, and the two together would be bosstastic.

EDIT: VV what is modified Assassin?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Today's team-building event involved modified Assassin, infinite beer, and gourmet food trucks. Things like that buy a fair bit of willingness to crunch hard when needed, I've gotta say.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Aliginge posted:

As of today I am now officially the sole artist at DNA Dynamics. :toot:

Woohoo! nice one!

I suppose I'm at the "working a crappy job" stage of your story myself. :v:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Super Slash posted:

I suppose I'm at the "working a crappy job" stage of your story myself. :v:
keep loving going! I had three years at my terrible job and thought I was never going to get out of there. :L

concerned mom posted:

congratulations man I knew you could do it!:) Keep up the 3d though.

Now, how the hell do I get myself motivated to do personal work.

I'm gonna map for RO:HoS outside of work time. :D

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 16, 2011

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Shalinor posted:

Not really looking yet, figure I might try this whole "indie" thing in the near future, but... in a few years... Sucker Punch is pretty boss, and Washington is boss, and the two together would be bosstastic.

Washington is pretty boss. Bellevue is a sweet place to work, too. I've been around their offices. It's right near Valve. I had an interview for a tester position there, cool people.

:ssh: I saw Gabe Newell in the Starbucks nearby but I didn't have the balls to talk to him. He exerts presence.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

One of my ex-teachers worked at sucker punch, I don't know if she still does.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Speaking of moving, I spent the last seven years at and after uni in Middlesbrough

And now I get to move to Leamington Spa :v:

Bit of an upgrade. :D Another good goddamn reason to keep busting arse for your first job, chances are you end up moving somewhere cool.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
The studio I started working for 3 months ago just laid off 50% of the workforce :suicide:

I made the cut but that's still a gigantic "start looking elsewhere NOW" sign.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Mango Polo posted:

The studio I started working for 3 months ago just laid off 50% of the workforce :suicide:

I made the cut but that's still a gigantic "start looking elsewhere NOW" sign.
... yeah, pretty much. Not always, but you'd best have a plan.

Good luck, regardless.

Zynga looks to still be a pretty good option, though, in terms of need work now / relatively stable / not insane employer. Job market's way better today than it was last year in general.

EDIT: VV Hahaahahah. Oh man, that's good to know. We've been looking at the partnership dealy thing we've got from Big Fish vs Gamehouse, and Big Fish is all "5 weeks of QA and localization for all the major languages (but won't worry it probably won't take that long)" and just... yeeeaaaaah. Gamehouse, by comparison, is "oh you know, like a week of QA, we release, then we localize for each language after that depending on demand." Better payment schedule too.

Gamehouse sounds way more sane in general, but we're worried the PR push won't be as big, and that their marketplace isn't quite as strong. Bigfish is heavily over managed, but if they get results, well, might be worth it. Don't suppose you guys have worked with both?

EDIT2: And DO NOT go reactive indie. Going indie is something you should do after you've done you research (it takes a lot of time), have a plan (that takes a lot more time), and a clear idea of roughly what you want to do game wise (even more time). If you jump before you've got your ducks in a row, you'll burn what time you can afford before you get anywhere at all.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 16, 2011

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Shalinor posted:

... yeah, pretty much. Not always, but you'd best have a plan.

Good luck, regardless.

Zynga looks to still be a pretty good option, though, in terms of need work now / relatively stable / not insane employer. Job market's way better today than it was last year in general.

Zynga bought out a studio here in Toronto, so that just might happen!
But it's still horrible to see all these people let go with some vague promise that the studio will call them back once the finances shoot up.

Actually let this be a warning about Big Fish Games. They've been sitting on one of our games for five weeks and three days ago told us that they have done zero testing since then. Not to say that things could have been (much) better managed on our side, but BFG's basically been promising every week for over a month that'd do the final QA for release check and get the game out the door. As far as I can tell, this 'partnership' deal has done tremendous harm and little good.

e: I'm awfully tempted to ask some key people laid off (and a couple still employed) to get together and run with the whole indie deal, but that's such a terribly short notice that I have a feeling it'd peter out too quickly.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 16, 2011

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Shalinor posted:

You know that super nerdy game you played in college where everyone got a name and you had to find them outside of class/work and 'kill' them with a nerf weapon, then take their target and continue onwards racking up kills till you got ganked yourself? This was that, except when you died you could keep killing your targets. Chaos (and lots of cross-team mixing and laughter) ensued.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

wodin posted:

Today's team-building event involved modified Assassin, infinite beer, and gourmet food trucks. Things like that buy a fair bit of willingness to crunch hard when needed, I've gotta say.

I wish our beer was infinite. :(

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Aliginge posted:

Speaking of moving, I spent the last seven years at and after uni in Middlesbrough. And now I get to move to Leamington Spa :v:
Leamington is lovely but about 10x more expensive to live in than Boro.

Shalinor posted:

"oh you know, like a week of QA,"
Would set my alarm bells ringing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So are there any audio guys in this thread? Like, at all?

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

FreakyZoid posted:

Leamington is lovely but about 10x more expensive to live in than Boro.

Yeah, it's a lot more expensive than I'm used to too, coming from Dundee. There's some good flats around fairly cheap if you look about though. Even cheaper if you go for a flatshare. I'm seeing a place this weekend that's about the same as what my flat was costing up north.

Flats aside, I'm just plain curious as to what I'm going to be working on. Guess I'll find out Monday.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

wodin posted:

You know that super nerdy game you played in college where everyone got a name and you had to find them outside of class/work and 'kill' them with a nerf weapon, then take their target and continue onwards racking up kills till you got ganked yourself? This was that, except when you died you could keep killing your targets. Chaos (and lots of cross-team mixing and laughter) ensued.

At the old company, I ran a company-wide (maybe 2-300 people?) game of assassin, but since we were an RPG company, I added classes (including unlockable ones), upgradeable skills, traits, and so on. It got kind of ridiculous over the course of the 3 or 4 weeks the game ran. Way better than nerf wars imo!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hi. Dev side though, tools and pipelines and runtimes, not the actual audio art stuff :(

Shalinor, I know a dev there if your email is posted somewhere I can put you in touch. Erm, they are the Infamous guys, right?

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

In what regard?

I make music and sound effects :shobon:

Here's some menu music:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/hmfbpdpu3h7286jdlvql.mp3

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shalinor posted:

One of the community managers there is a former cow-orker, and I'm just up the street in Kirkland at WB Games.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Does that guy who wears the furry tail and dog collar still work there? Or is that you? :colbert:

Not seen any tails but there is at least one dude who wears a collar every day. It's pretty common knowledge he's a furry but there's gotta be at least one in any games company I guess, and we're pretty big after all.

Aliginge: well done dude :D Knew you'd make it out of there eventually. You're practically local now too, should come say hi sometime :3

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

floofyscorp posted:

Not seen any tails but there is at least one dude who wears a collar every day. It's pretty common knowledge he's a furry but there's gotta be at least one in any games company I guess, and we're pretty big after all.
Furries, probably, but collars and tails and such? Nah. The few on LEGO Universe team keep it on the down low.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Hughlander posted:

One of the community managers there is a former cow-orker, and I'm just up the street in Kirkland at WB Games.
Oh poo poo, WB Games has a Community Management opening I applied to a little while ago. Heard anything about that?

Alternatively...know anyone in HR?

BouncyCastle
Jul 17, 2011

I've been lurking for YEARS and literally signed up just because of this.....sad, I know. :(

Content:
I'm a audio integrator at Ubisoft aka bottom feeder in the audio food chain :buddy:

My primary job is to integrate sound effects into the game, although I get to do some sound design and record foley/sfx

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

BouncyCastle posted:

I've been lurking for YEARS and literally signed up just because of this.....sad, I know. :(

Content:
I'm a audio integrator at Ubisoft aka bottom feeder in the audio food chain :buddy:

My primary job is to integrate sound effects into the game, although I get to do some sound design and record foley/sfx

You wouldn't happen to know of any good firearms sound libraries, would you? :allears:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^Cool, I'm glad you did! I posted because I've lurked every iteration of this thread and can count the contributions from audio guys on one hand; it always seemed strange that there are tons of 3D modellers and such but so few wannabe audio people, not even "here's a thing I made in Fruity Loops can I score the next Mega Man" types. I gather it's because being a low-level audio guy at a big studio with a dedicated audio team is dull and being the sole audio guy at a small studio requires you to be a jack of all trades, but I really don't have a clue.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Amrosorma posted:

You wouldn't happen to know of any good firearms sound libraries, would you? :allears:

Someone really should make one of these at some point. Every game going for "authenticity" always advertises that they went out and recorded the real gun sounds. I wonder how many times people have recorded a Beretta 92 or MP5 firing. It seems like a waste of effort (also bullets).

Though I suppose the audio guys really just want an excuse to go play with some fancy guns. I guess I can't blame them for that.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Someone really should make one of these at some point. Every game going for "authenticity" always advertises that they went out and recorded the real gun sounds. How many times do we have to record the sound of an MP5 firing before someone decides to share?

I've been looking for quite a while, but I don't know what to get:

http://www.shockwave-sound.com/genre/mostsold/101.html
http://soundbible.com/tags-gun.html
http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/wmcstore/WMCshop.cgi?action=dbview&id=RSFX07
http://www.boomlibrary.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5
http://soundfx.us/dyragusoefvo.html
http://www.sonicscience.com/boon/dynrange.html
http://www.tridentarms.us/Recording_Firearms_&_Explosions.html
http://www.sonokinetic.net/products/sound-design/guns/
http://www.efx-sound.com/efx-firearms-cds,us,3,2.cfm

:shobon:

BouncyCastle
Jul 17, 2011

Amrosorma posted:

Unfortunately, nope....

^^Cool, I'm glad you did! I posted because I've lurked every iteration of this thread and can count the contributions from audio guys on one hand; it always seemed strange that there are tons of 3D modellers and such but so few wannabe audio people, not even "here's a thing I made in Fruity Loops can I score the next Mega Man" types. I gather it's because being a low-level audio guy at a big studio with a dedicated audio team is dull and being the sole audio guy at a small studio requires you to be a jack of all trades, but I really don't have a clue.

I'm at one of the smaller Ubi studios so I guess its a nice balance between being a low-level guy/jack of all trades - I get my hands dirty on most of the ingame audio stuff except for music/dialogue recording. But it was a big :psypop: when I first started, as I was a total noob/wasn't expecting to handle so much stuff.

My personal take on the audio people < 3D modeller ratio is that to work on game audio:

1. You kinda need a working game to start with
2. You will probably need to work with a programmer to write some code for you (though not all the time)
3. The non-linearity/technicality of game audio requires a very different approach, which is something "generalist" audio people are not really used to - most audio people start by/are used to producing/designing sound for music or films, which are played back in a linear fashion. I came from an audio engineering trade school/music production background and it took me quite a while to adapt a new "non-linear" mindset. :psyduck:

edit: I realize my post might have deviated more into implementation side of things....oops!

BouncyCastle fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 17, 2011

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again.

M4rk posted:

Oh poo poo, WB Games has a Community Management opening I applied to a little while ago. Heard anything about that?

Alternatively...know anyone in HR?

The opening is a running gag amongst community managers. You do not want it.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

coeranys posted:

The opening is a running gag amongst community managers.

Explain.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I worked for WB as a CM for F.3.A.R. I did not enjoy the experience.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

coeranys posted:

Oh god, is it for...a game that's going down the toilet?

Well at the moment I'm just trying to get a job before I stop being covered by my family's health insurance.

Graduating on August 5th. PAX Prime is my GDC, going to hit up some booths and see if any PR departments are hiring. ;)

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I worked for WB as a CM for F.3.A.R. I did not enjoy the experience.
I would have KILLED to have that job. I'm a total FEAR fanboy. It would have had to be raining chocolate for me to not enjoy myself working anywhere near FEAR. :)

EDIT: Killed figuratively, of course. I'm not a crazy psychic.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

coeranys posted:

Yeah, I'm going to have to have some info on this one.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

M4rk posted:

Graduating on August 5th. PAX Prime is my GDC, going to hit up some booths and see if any PR departments are hiring. ;)

You need to find and attend the "How NOT to get a job in the game industry" panel hosted by Jim Rivers and Dino McGraw: at once terrifying and hilarious, informative and dismissive, I caught it at GDC Austin once just because Jim's a friend of mine and it's one of the most amazing panels I've ever seen.

Even if you've already got a job, go just to hear the horror stories and see the name-removed resume's and cover letters and ask yourself, while laughing, how anyone that stupid could ever think THAT was a good idea.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

GetWellGamers posted:

You need to find and attend the "How NOT to get a job in the game industry" panel hosted by Jim Rivers and Dino McGraw: at once terrifying and hilarious, informative and dismissive, I caught it at GDC Austin once just because Jim's a friend of mine and it's one of the most amazing panels I've ever seen.

Even if you've already got a job, go just to hear the horror stories and see the name-removed resume's and cover letters and ask yourself, while laughing, how anyone that stupid could ever think THAT was a good idea.
Love the sound of that panel. :)

Atm I'm interning at Game Recruiter, which is a videogames recruitment service. Redesigning their website is my main assignment, since their current one is a relic from the early 2000s.

I'm sure they've got a filing cabinet full of hilariously bad resumes that they've had to redesign from scratch...

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again.
I'm not going to get deeply into it, but they've been trying to hire for it for over a year, the pay they're offering is... not good. At all. For working at a grocery store. Their treatment of their community team, and inability to pay a decent wage, and unwillingness to hire anyone has come up in multiple other interviews and/or discussions I've had with CMs, both locally and nationally.

Edit: I dunno, maybe it's just because I'm from this area that people assume I will have an opinion on it, and bring it up?

coeranys fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 18, 2011

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

coeranys posted:

I'm not going to get deeply into it, but they've been trying to hire for it for over a year, the pay they're offering is... not good. At all. For working at a grocery store. Their treatment of their community team, and inability to pay a decent wage, and unwillingness to hire anyone has come up in multiple other interviews and/or discussions I've had with CMs, both locally and nationally.
Go deeper dude, or I'm going to track you down and buy you a drink just to hear more... :cheers:

EDIT: Maybe Monster knows more, I'll wait to set off on my quest until he pops back in here.

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

M4rk posted:

Oh god, is it for...a game that's going down the toilet?

This I'll go a little deeper into, since I don't feel like I'd be outing myself, or giving away anyone's trade secrets. The community team there is structured a bit oddly, since they support multiple studios. The role they're hiring for wasn't so much specific to a game, as a generic member of the team. If I remember right (and this was months ago, so I may not) you would be assigned broadly to one of the studios that the team represents, but you would also be tapped to do work on other properties as necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I would love to say more but seeing as I was employed with them up untill 3 months ago it's a little soon.

I will however say it took 3 months to receive any kind of payment and I was told reports were due without them actually informing me that I had started working for them.