Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ickna
May 19, 2004

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Washed and waxed the new '11 this morning with Meguiar's Gold products. That wax comes off super easy compared to others I've used.

I like this generation, but the one thing that keeps me from loving it is the clear tail lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Washed and waxed the new '11 this morning with Meguiar's Gold products. That wax comes off super easy compared to others I've used.

I love the look of the '11+ models. The new front end is a lot sexier than the 08-10 series STi's

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ickna posted:

I like this generation, but the one thing that keeps me from loving it is the clear tail lights.

I like the looks, and the tail lights can be fixed, but Cat Terrist's evangelizing on the last page really has me sold on the previous generation.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Sterndotstern posted:

Well, it's gone. Farewell sweet wagon, we hardly knew ye.

Knew you'd find a buyer quick. I kept bugging my co-worker about it but I guess he had just given his wife a big speech about buying unnecessary things.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kimbo305 posted:

I like the looks, and the tail lights can be fixed, but Cat Terrist's evangelizing on the last page really has me sold on the previous generation.

Think that's good, wait till you see the car I'm buying!

(If the present owner calls me back)

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

PICS

Gorgeous car, man. Congratulations. When I get mine I want the same color and throw on some black rims. In the future, try the Turtle Wax Ice. It comes off really easy and doesn't keep you digging in crevices getting white stuff out. It was amazing on my black Tacoma.

I know this sound silly to you guys with your fancy-pants STi's and such, but I have a question about hubcaps. I have a 09 Impreza and the wheels are oxidized. It's bad enough I have hubcaps but it looks lovely underneath them. I was going to take off the hubcaps, scrub the wheels, and paint them flat black. Is there a secret to taking off the hubcaps, or do you just pop them off from the outside. I don't want to break them by reefing away at the wrong part.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
:siren: Not Subaru related:siren:

Looks like I might be picking up a new commuter can this weekend.

The one on the left. It'll be just like my old echo, just white instead of green.

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 18, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Excited this week to finally be putting in my suspension gubbins. Then almost immediately afterward I have to drive several kilometers down a largely abandoned dirt and gravel road into a secluded campsite. :)

Amandyke posted:

So you're going to put a turbo on it, right?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Amandyke posted:

The one on the left. It'll be just like my old echo, just white instead of green.

Umm okay? Subaru chat? :confused:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

dphi posted:

Knew you'd find a buyer quick. I kept bugging my co-worker about it but I guess he had just given his wife a big speech about buying unnecessary things.

This is why you always let your wife buy whatever she wants.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Amandyke posted:

:siren: Not Subaru related:siren:

Don't do it.

Is that Golden Gate Park?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

nm posted:

Don't do it.

Is that Golden Gate Park?

It might be. It's my friend's car, I was there when he picked it up and actually brokered the deal originally for the car several years ago. I used to have an echo and loved it to pieces. If you have a better option for a 35+mpg rock solid commuter for under 3k, I'm more than willing to hear it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Amandyke posted:

It might be. It's my friend's car, I was there when he picked it up and actually brokered the deal originally for the car several years ago. I used to have an echo and loved it to pieces. If you have a better option for a 35+mpg rock solid commuter for under 3k, I'm more than willing to hear it.
A bus pass?

I'd go with an older civic that's rough cosmetically but with solid internals, but I have an irrational hate for echos.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

nm posted:

A bus pass?

I'd go with an older civic that's rough cosmetically but with solid internals, but I have an irrational hate for echos.

I had exactly the same idea. People are asking outrageously high prices for lovely old high mileage honda's. My first choice would have been a 93-94 civic VX.

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 19, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Amandyke posted:

I had exactly the same idea. People are asking outrageously high prices for lovely old high mileage honda's. My first choice would have been a 93-94 civic VX.
Wait, a civic vx goes for more than $3k? Jesus.
I'm going with the bus pass idea.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nm posted:

I almost wish I've blown the turbo (no I don't, car gods, don't even think it, I've already replaced my drivetrain).
Be easier to clean up.
Like everything on the passenger side is coated. The subframe is disgusting.

It's quite a smell, too.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
One of the larger Subaru dealers in the area put on a two day event this past weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC. Two days of Autocross, PDX and Time Trials. I was doomed just to watch since my 5 speed has been acting sick lately, but it was still pretty amazing. They were giving rides on the PDX course in a 2011 STI (Driver was a former winner of the One Lap of America race) and I did a few ride alongs with some friends on the AutoX side.
They had the Turn In Concepts Time Attack car there as well, it was amazing to check out all the stuff they've done to it. I think it did the full 2.3 mile course in 1.38 and some change.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

the_worm_ posted:

One of the larger Subaru dealers in the area put on a two day event this past weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC. Two days of Autocross, PDX and Time Trials. I was doomed just to watch since my 5 speed has been acting sick lately, but it was still pretty amazing. They were giving rides on the PDX course in a 2011 STI (Driver was a former winner of the One Lap of America race) and I did a few ride alongs with some friends on the AutoX side.
They had the Turn In Concepts Time Attack car there as well, it was amazing to check out all the stuff they've done to it. I think it did the full 2.3 mile course in 1.38 and some change.

Great photos, looks like it was a lot of fun!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
those turn in concepts guys totally copied me.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
What's the generally accepted power/torque level limitation on the '02 WRX transmissions (AA gearset)? I didn't realize my '02 missed the cutoff for the RA-width gearset by a month and suddenly I'm a little concerned about my transmission with my upcoming turbo upgrade.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

the_worm_ posted:

Anyone like to tell me why I know this gentleman has no loving idea about how to make a Subaru suspenion truly work?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Cat Terrist posted:

Anyone like to tell me why I know this gentleman has no loving idea about how to make a Subaru suspenion truly work?

Clearly he needs more offset and width on those rims.

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback
So here is a random question for y'all. I was doing some WRX shopping I think I found exactly the car I am looking for (2006 wagon) for a very good price. I was very pleased. But then I took it on an extended test drive to get a bit more wheel time and feel for the car, and something I'd never noticed cropped up. The bolsters on the lower part of the seat (keeping your legs in place) are a little uncomfortable for me after an extended period behind the wheel. I'm 6'5", so my legs tend to not go straight forward but kind out to the sides when I'm in a car that isn't huge. The Subaru has plenty of space (in the front) for me, but my legs still want to go out to the sides, so the bolsters aren't super comfy. I really like this car, and I have only even noticed it after a while in the car, so I don't think this is a dealbreaker. However, I'm hoping that all of y'all might have some knowledge on a way to correct this problem. Seat replacement? Somehow file down the leg bolsters? Previously unknown magic? Or am I just going to have to keep an rear end pillow in the car for the long road trips?

Edit: Also, if I want to get a pre-purchase inspection done somewhere, should I just go to a Subaru dealership, or what?

toybux fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 20, 2011

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
So does anyone have a Rota Tarmac 1 laying around? 17x7.5 in grey? I happened to run over a drill bit in the parking lot at work and while changing the wheel, I noticed a crack on the inside rim. Calling Rota probably wouldn't help as these wheel are ages old and I'm not the original owner.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

toybux posted:

Do what I do: just deal with it. Eventually your rear end will smash the bolstering into place where your legs have to be cockeyed. I'm sure you can modify the seat some, too. Just be happy your knee doesn't hit the center console :smith:

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser

WRX in the wild

With some sort of creature in it

I have been spotted by a dirt monster!

She loves it

Hamming it up for the photo

I just had the short throw installed today and it feels much better. I wish I got the SPT exhaust too but oh well. I will just have to get something down the road. I need a little more burble from it, but nothing extreme. It is quite the fun car and it has the great excuse of being a family mobile.

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback
Quick tech question: I am having the '06 WRX I am considering buying get a compression test, just to make sure I'm not walking into anything. I get the idea that you want very similar compression on each cylinder, but what I'm not sure about is what actual value you would want to see on a car with 80k miles on it. I've googled, and gotten anywhere from 135 to 150, but I'm not seeing a lot of sources that inspire confidence. Anyone here know enough to help?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
ALLDATA and MITCHELL say:

Standard....142-171psi
Limit..........121psi
Max Diff.....7psi

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback

Wrar posted:

ALLDATA and MITCHELL say:

Standard....142-171psi
Limit..........121psi
Max Diff.....7psi

Thanks. Now lets hope the numbers come out right so I can spend all weekend enjoying a WRX in the mountains. Fingers crossed!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Airbone Operation posted:

WRX in the wild

With some sort of creature in it

I have been spotted by a dirt monster!

She loves it

Hamming it up for the photo

I just had the short throw installed today and it feels much better. I wish I got the SPT exhaust too but oh well. I will just have to get something down the road. I need a little more burble from it, but nothing extreme. It is quite the fun car and it has the great excuse of being a family mobile.

Congrats on the car!

Quirk auto eh? Must mean you're a Maine goon....

That means I'm obligated to try and get you to join http://www.mainelysubarus.com/forums/

I'm 2point5RS_Dan on there.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

I know I'm the minority around here but I think downpipe on stock exhaust is the way to go. Low noise / High performance = win

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Blaise posted:

I know I'm the minority around here but I think downpipe on stock exhaust is the way to go. Low noise / High performance = win

I was under the impression that doing so means forfeiting your warranty. I mean, its not exactly a hard part to see...

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
Downpipe requires a tune right?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Downpipe requires a tune right?

Yes.

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
now is that like a dynotune or is it like an Access Port which is from my understanding a premade tune not unique to the vehicle?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

How hard can it be finding a cheap Impreza? And how hard can it be for the owner of one to give a guy who wants to buy now a call back??!?!?!

Subarus hold ridiculous value here. 4000 for not so good example(!) 97 2 litre. Theres a few wagons but I dont want those.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cat Terrist posted:

How hard can it be finding a cheap Impreza? And how hard can it be for the owner of one to give a guy who wants to buy now a call back??!?!?!

Subarus hold ridiculous value here. 4000 for not so good example(!) 97 2 litre. Theres a few wagons but I dont want those.

What model are you after?

Across the ditch they still seem to be steadily decreasing in value although many are auto and/or wagons. They do have a pretty bad reliability and economy rep though mainly because Subaru in general is associated with cheap exploding twin turbo Legacies here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Any GC sedan. Engine or gearbox dont matter, just needs to be cheap, so expecting something daggy. Altho I've onyl found 1 (!) crappy Impreza, the rest are in good nic and hence above what I want to pay.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I was under the impression that doing so means forfeiting your warranty. I mean, its not exactly a hard part to see...

Ah sorry. I forgot that warranties exist. Just get a tune then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Nice car dude. My new one has the SPT exhaust on it and I really like it more than I thought I would. I always hated loud exhausts, but the resonator helps keep this one quiet when the motor is not being loaded, such as when cruising on the highway. I am about the farthest possible from a knowledgeable Subaru person or modifier, but the SPT exhaust, I think, is nice.

Worth a grand? It's in my financing so I can't really tell. Although only an incremental performance gain, the fact that it doesn't affect my warranty is a strong positive factor when comparing to cheaper, better performing cat backs.

I've also read the the sedan version of the exhaust "sounds" better (I have a hatch). Whether that is depth or loudness, I do not know. What I do know is that the sedan version has two separate mufflers, so it may indeed be deeper but not louder.