Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

HATE MONDAYS posted:

krav maga is so retarded lmao. anyone who thinks they can stop a guy with a gun from carjacking them by using groin kicks and eye gouges deserves the brutal gun slaying they will be on the receiving end of

Yup, when someone walks up to you in a car and presents a gun the best defense is a groin kick. Idiot.

e: Less dick response more serious question. Are you saying that thefts never turn violent? Are you saying that groin kicks are ineffective self defense techniques? Also, you are the problem with civil discussions in this thread. "LOL at [insert MA here] I hope they get killed, lol."

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
krav maga is terrible, all it does is turn you into a paranoid deluded prick without the fun of settling in the west bank

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I was just watching the movie Ironclad and while it's over the top in a dozen ways, it has awesome two-hand sword fighting, copied from 15th century manuals as witnessed in this thread a couple of pages ago with all the stabs, trips, grappling and even dragging guys down with the hilt and pommel. No prancing around with two swords which weigh less than plastic nor flying in the air, the actors heave large hand weapons at each other in slow arcs, stab or smack each other in the face with swift mace and hammer blows. Pretty cool stuff.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I'm not sure there is any amount of martial art experience that would make me try to defend my car from a guy with a weapon. I don't need my car anywhere near as much as I need my body to not have holes in it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My gun defense is to reach into my back pocket and pull out my wallet.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
My gun defense is to continue residing in a country where being help up at gunpoint is as rare as winning the lotto twice in a month.

edit: after that it's casting "Invisibility" on myself

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010

Paul Pot posted:

krav maga is terrible, all it does is turn you into a paranoid deluded prick without the fun of settling in the west bank

So why is Krav Maga so horrible? (technically)

molotoveverything fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 17, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

molotoveverything posted:

The short answer is "it really depends on your teacher" but the longer answer is that it's a martial art designed for soldiers who find themselves in a situation where they're unarmed and probably going to die anyway -- maybe Krav would give them a 1 in 1000 chance to survive if they were, say, surrounded by 3 guys with pistols who want to kill them. So anyone who takes Krav and thinks it should actually be used in a self-defense situation, instead of just complying with the mugger/carjacker or running away, is deluded. That being said I have no beef with people who do it because it's fun, but yeah if you're getting carjacked and you try to pull some Krav/combat sambo/combatives/whatever instead of just letting the dude have your car you're a moron.

On a technical level, I'm not a huge fan of it just because it seems to do things the hard way -- by, say, always trying to disarm your attacker, instead of just protecting your vitals while giving you space to run away.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 17, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

molotoveverything posted:

It spends far too much time focusing on things that have an incredibly miniscule probability of occurring and encourages handling real-world situations poorly.

And yet I like the striking in it so I still train in it.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

On a technical level, I'm not a huge fan of it just because it seems to do things the hard way -- by, say, always trying to disarm your attacker, instead of just protecting your vitals while giving you space to run away.

Ehhhnnnnn...those options are given but from what i've seen, the "Get yourself out of danger and then run like hell" training gets focused on more than the disarm.

It really depends on what branch your school is affiliated with, the level you're in and the instructor you have.

I've also got some criticisms of other aspects of krav but those have already been posted. Actually, another one:

I don't like their system of belts. Belts are poo poo and belt tests are poo poo. Theoretically KMW won't let you attend a higher level class than your current one unless you pass a belt test. And that's poo poo. However, the belt tests are loving grueling and worth doing, the way they're administered is just poo poo because mine's been rescheduled on me twice.

Good things about krav:

1) The striking stance feels more natural and quick to me than muay thai did.
2) I've got a larger amount of defenses than I learned in my muay thai school.
3) Generally just a larger repertoire of strikes to choose from.
4) Slightly more self-defense applications for a bare-knuckle street fight.

But I'm moving out of Austin soon so I may end up going back to BJJ and muay thai. Krav's groundwork is seriously lacking.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 18, 2011

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The Israeli army are probably the best standing army in the world today, so people think to themselves "this will make me the ultimate killing machine." How do they kill their enemies? They fire a missile at them from a helicopter. If all else fails, they'll shoot them with automatic rifles. An army teaches its soldiers a little bit of everything to instill confidence in them at every range of combat, but not enough to make them amazing hand to hand fighters. The idea is that if the poo poo hits the fan, they'll try what they know instead of running away.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Keep using your judo terms. It makes me look up the moves on youtube etc, so then I learn a (new) throw or at least watch a video on a throw I knew but probably havent done in awhile.

So those terms serve an awesome educational purpose of creating interest into wtf you are talking about.

<3

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The Israeli army are probably the best standing army in the world today, so people think to themselves "this will make me the ultimate killing machine." How do they kill their enemies? They fire a missile at them from a helicopter. If all else fails, they'll shoot them with automatic rifles. An army teaches its soldiers a little bit of everything to instill confidence in them at every range of combat, but not enough to make them amazing hand to hand fighters. The idea is that if the poo poo hits the fan, they'll try what they know instead of running away.

I know little of Krav Maga but I did have this experience.

A couple of years ago I was traveling with a whole bunch of Israelis who all just got out of the army. Me being a fan of martial arts got all excited and asked them tons of questions about Krav. They all laughed at me and told me they are trained in Krav for a couple of weeks in basic and then never do the stuff again. These guys were for the most part combat veterans. When I told them about how Krav is marketed in North America they couldn't believe it and thought we were all rubes.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Syphilis Fish posted:

Keep using your judo terms.
Seconded.

People saying "I made an ippongari ouchimata" or whatever is ultimately more descriptive than going "I THREW A MANS FROM THE LAPEL". As long as you don't completely succumb to language-wankery like calling punching atemi because what the gently caress is up with that :mad:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So since Judo terms are temporarily forum approved, what are everybody's favorite techniques in whatever art you practice?

For me, I'd say my top five are:
(Judo): The Sasae-Tsurikomi-Ashi set-up to a drop ippon. Since everyone in the region knows that my Makikomi is coming off that sasae I'm able to get some really pretty Ippons with this. Even got the biggest throw of my Judo career, throwing an Olympian, with this combo.
(Judo): The Sasae setup into a Harai-Makikomi. It is just such a power throw, I love it. By the time I get my hips around the Uke knows exactly what I am about to do, but they are powerless to stop it. A buddy of mine once described it as "A choice between getting my arm ripped out or getting run over by a train"
(BJJ): I like to bait people into attempting a triangle, then shuck their leg over so I can stack them up and finish with a collar choke. This is my go to move in BJJ and the only technique I really have that I know I can get anyone with regardless of their rank or experience.
(Hapkido): Z-lock, it's such a small move, just a little flick of the wrist, but it has such a big effect. It's also the only move from a martial art that I've actually used in a fight, and it worked exactly as practiced. The guy's buddy even gave me $5 to let him go.
(Hapkido): Forehead board breaks. They serve no real purpose, but headbutting through a board or two is just fun.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
(kendo) degote: Watch your opponent carefully while maintaining awareness and pressure, then cut his wrist as he succumbs to the pressure by retreating or attacking.

(kendo) kote-men: Successive wrist-head cuts.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I wish I spoke japanese. This looks hilarious http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP9G-WXBUcE

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I was skipping around in that video because I also do not speak japanese, but I just noticed.. wtf is up with the audience?

On a side note I also took a fencing lesson in foil today. Fun stuff.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Thoguh posted:

So since Judo terms are temporarily forum approved, what are everybody's favorite techniques in whatever art you practice?

BJJ: Chest sweep, Flower sweep, and arm-triangle. They're what I seem to hit the most.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Buried alive posted:

I was skipping around in that video because I also do not speak japanese, but I just noticed.. wtf is up with the audience?

On a side note I also took a fencing lesson in foil today. Fun stuff.

I think the video is from the 70s or 80s for some kind of morning/daytime television show. Audiences will go "ohhh that's amazing" at just about anything in Japan.

As to the fish thing, if I remember my aikido lore correctly, Shioda once had an 'aha!' moment by watching goldfish. They only move forward.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Thoguh posted:

At 6'5" I am a very tall for Judo player. I really like Harai Goshi from an over the shoulder belt grip. I'm trying to develop my Uchi Mata from other grips so I throw that a lot with much less success.

On the ground my love for inverted and side triangles known no bounds. I love those. I wish I could do one right now.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
First time at Judo for over a month and as a white belt went to grab me behind my neck, he smacked me in the jaw with his forearm and it felt like my ear was pissing blood but there was no blood. Strange feeling. I kept touching my ear expecting there to be blood on my fingers but there wasn't. Later on I accidently smashed my head into his nose as I was coming up from a seio nage and he had to sit out for the rest of the session. That'll teach him.

I used Jack3d before this session and I didn't really notice a big difference during training but right now an hour or so after I feel like I didn't even train. Must be the caffeine tricking my brain into thinking I have energy to burn. Also I got the mother fuckin sweetest seio nage into kouchi gari. It felt incredible.

Thoguh posted:

Seio nage and Osoto gari. Nothing too exciting there. RNC and kimura for ground work. Both those things have japanese names which I don't know.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 18, 2011

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Nierbo posted:

I used Jack3d before this session and I didn't really notice a big difference during training but right now an hour or so after I feel like I didn't even train. Must be the caffeine tricking my brain into thinking I have energy to burn. Also I got the mother fuckin sweetest seio nage into kouchi gari. It felt incredible.

When i started training I used NOexplode and Jack3d, since I was used to working out with them from lifting. I tended to find they were great for extending my practices, but not so much making me "explode" more. I liked working out with them, but after a while I felt like I should be pushing myself harder without needing a chemical-crutch. I also got in a bad mindset that if i didn't use them, my training would suffer. Plus that poo poo's expensive. I tend to just brew myself a large shaker-bottle of green tea and down that before practice to get my head in things (I live on caffeine).

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Yup, when someone walks up to you in a car and presents a gun the best defense is a groin kick. Idiot.
Why don't you briefly explain what the best defense actually is when someone walks up to you in a car and presents a gun? And you can't use the terms "situational awareness" or "compliance" or anything similar because you don't need to pay an rear end in a top hat jewish dude $150 a month to learn to not park your Lexus in an unlit alley in the lovely part of town

quote:

Are you saying that thefts never turn violent?
You will never be in a situation where you are in a position to successfully disarm someone who is threatening you with a weapon, hope this helps.

quote:

Are you saying that groin kicks are ineffective self defense techniques?
They are nowhere near as effective as dumbasses who take Krav Maga think they are

quote:

Also, you are the problem with civil discussions in this thread. "LOL at [insert MA here] I hope they get killed, lol."
Incorrect.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

TheStampede posted:

I also got in a bad mindset that if i didn't use them, my training would suffer. Plus that poo poo's expensive.

Yeah, I'm the sort of person that would end up like that too. It'll probably be an placebo effect; 'oh I forgot to take jacked before judo, I'm feeling tired already' even though its all in my head. I will keep it for weights from now on I think, unless I've had a really low-calorie day for whatever reason. I don't have caffeine normally in my diet either its a real shock to the system which can be useful in certain situations.
I don't think its all that expensive though. Not sure if you specifically mean jacked, but mine was 29 dollars for the 250mg container (thats 40 scoops) plus a bit for shipping. I respond quite well to a 75% scoop, but even on a full scoop at twice a week thats still 5 months of jacked for ~35 bucks which I think is a bargain. Maybe check online for a good price. If you're in Australia I can give you the link to where I got mine. Price aside, you'd think creatine is absolutely made for Judo with the whole 'sudden burst of energy' thing but I think it doesn't translate as well in real life than it does on paper.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

I do agree that everyone has a genetic limit.

But, the idea that it is possible to increase your foot speed but basically impossible to increase your hand speed is just silly.

Yes tell me about all the secret techniques I haven't learned in the 7 years I've been boxing. All boxing coaches must be holding back on their students. :rolleyes:

Your punch speed is something that is hardwired just like how hard you punch(ko power) and how much punishment you can take. Unless you mean you can train yourself to throw really fast pitter patter nothing punches then by all means.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Nierbo posted:

Yeah, I'm the sort of person that would end up like that too. It'll probably be an placebo effect; 'oh I forgot to take jacked before judo, I'm feeling tired already' even though its all in my head. I will keep it for weights from now on I think, unless I've had a really low-calorie day for whatever reason. I don't have caffeine normally in my diet either its a real shock to the system which can be useful in certain situations.
I don't think its all that expensive though. Not sure if you specifically mean jacked, but mine was 29 dollars for the 250mg container (thats 40 scoops) plus a bit for shipping. I respond quite well to a 75% scoop, but even on a full scoop at twice a week thats still 5 months of jacked for ~35 bucks which I think is a bargain. Maybe check online for a good price. If you're in Australia I can give you the link to where I got mine. Price aside, you'd think creatine is absolutely made for Judo with the whole 'sudden burst of energy' thing but I think it doesn't translate as well in real life than it does on paper.

well, it's expensive in the sense that training/fighting don't pay that well, so money is always tight. Plus, I was a 2 scoop a day guy with that poo poo. I might have been a bit excessive...

It did work though. I was doing 3 hour, back-to-back boxing/MT/BJJ sessions, 5 days a week, and still going to work 8 hours right after. I did notice a difference. But like I said, times are tough, and money is tight, so it was much more economically feasible to drop $1 on a box of green tea with ginseng every other week then ~$20 for supplements. Besides, it's all in the mind really. I just need the caffeine to wake up (I usually grab a nap before training) and get my feet moving out the door. I push myself hard, and know that it's all me now. It's a nice feeling.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

TheStampede posted:

well, it's expensive in the sense that training/fighting don't pay that well, so money is always tight. Plus, I was a 2 scoop a day guy with that poo poo. I might have been a bit excessive...
Yeah I hear that, full time student here. Every dollar counts.

TheStampede posted:

It did work though. I was doing 3 hour, back-to-back boxing/MT/BJJ sessions, 5 days a week, and still going to work 8 hours right after. I did notice a difference.
Holy poo poo, I'm surprised jacked and noxplode is all you were on :D

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Yes tell me about all the secret techniques I haven't learned in the 7 years I've been boxing. All boxing coaches must be holding back on their students. :rolleyes:

Your punch speed is something that is hardwired just like how hard you punch(ko power) and how much punishment you can take. Unless you mean you can train yourself to throw really fast pitter patter nothing punches then by all means.

Yeah, you can improve your handspeed with technique, practice, and muscle memory but after a certain point you're going to be limited by genetic factors like your nervous system and distribution of fast-twitch muscle. 99.9% of people could not develop hand speed on the level of a Tyson or a Pacquiao no matter how much training they had.

naphta
Sep 18, 2008
The Jacked is probably assisting with cns recovery. If you find that sometimes your body feels fine but you are simply in a mental funk and are fatigued following training it's often a sign of poor cns recovery rather than muscle fatigue ( I get this a lot, especially when pushing it with my strength and conditioning.) Biotest sells a product called power drive that I notice is great for this.

I also worry about becoming dependent on products that I don't consider part of a maintenance supplement list but keeping things like this around for those days where there might be more sparring, extra bouts of conditioning or stress creeps up is not a bad idea.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

I know this is boxing canon but its not really true, at least not to the point where it has any effect on most people. A scrawny 145 pound goon who hasn't done any physical activity in his life is going to punch a lot harder and faster after a year or so of boxing lessons, and will punch harder and faster another year later if he starts putting on weight, lifting for explosiveness, etc.

The whole "you can't change _____ attribute" is just another way most boxing coaches are about 50 years behind other sports (in addition to the idea that you shouldnt lift weights or youll be slow, etc). If you're an S&C guy training sprinters you dont just make them run once and say "well that's the fastest youll ever be able to run, its hardwired." There is an upper genetic limit but 99.99% of people never make it close to it

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

HATE MONDAYS posted:

I know this is boxing canon but its not really true, at least not to the point where it has any effect on most people. A scrawny 145 pound goon who hasn't done any physical activity in his life is going to punch a lot harder and faster after a year or so of boxing lessons, and will punch harder and faster another year later if he starts putting on weight, lifting for explosiveness, etc.

The whole "you can't change _____ attribute" is just another way most boxing coaches are about 50 years behind other sports (in addition to the idea that you shouldnt lift weights or youll be slow, etc). If you're an S&C guy training sprinters you dont just make them run once and say "well that's the fastest youll ever be able to run, its hardwired." There is an upper genetic limit but 99.99% of people never make it close to it

You're arguing against a strawman. Nobody's disagreeing with this, but much like sprinting there is a genetic component to handspeed that is much more of a factor than something like footspeed or timing.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

Nierbo posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm surprised jacked and noxplode is all you were on :D

In reality, I was worried the NOexplode use was going to interfere with my speed addiction. Priorities, people.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You're arguing against a strawman. Nobody's disagreeing with this, but much like sprinting there is a genetic component to handspeed that is much more of a factor than something like footspeed or timing.

Its not really a Straw Man when most boxing coaches believe exactly that. And there is obviously a genetic component but that's irrelevant since there isn't a single goon who has reached their genetic potential of handspeed, so it's stupid to bring up the "genetic limits" when someone who has limited boxing experience is asking how to improve their handspeed

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

HATE MONDAYS posted:

Its not really a Straw Man when most boxing coaches believe exactly that. And there is obviously a genetic component but that's irrelevant since there isn't a single goon who has reached their genetic potential of handspeed, so it's stupid to bring up the "genetic limits" when someone who has limited boxing experience is asking how to improve their handspeed

This is still a dumb argument, and I'll explain why. I've been doing boxing and MMA since I was 17, so while I'm probably not quite at my "genetic potential" the same way someone who boxes for a living is, I know enough about the sport to know how training affects handspeed development. At a certain point you will start to plateau, so while you may continue to see incremental gains in handspeed if you're really training diligently and consciously working on it, the point at which you'll start to see these diminishing returns is highly dependent on genetic factors. It's not a linear progression to 100% of your physically possible handspeed, so just because someone hasn't reached that point doesn't mean there aren't genetic factors at play.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Next time someone comes into W&W asking for tips on improving his 200 lb deadlift everyone should just inform him that there is a genetic limit to strength so it is impossible to improve

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

HATE MONDAYS posted:

Next time someone comes into W&W asking for tips on improving his 200 lb deadlift everyone should just inform him that there is a genetic limit to strength so it is impossible to improve

You're arguing a strawman again. Pause, read the posts that I and others have actually put some thought into and stop trolling.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

HATE MONDAYS posted:

So you're saying as long as I am diligent with my 200 lb deadlifts, one day I will be as big as Brock Lesnar? BTW, I'm 5'6", 130lbs. A reasonable expectation, yes?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

TheStampede posted:

So you're saying as long as I am diligent with my 200 lb deadlifts, one day I will be as big as Brock Lesnar? BTW, I'm 5'6", 130lbs. A reasonable expectation, yes?

Don't even bother.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is still a dumb argument, and I'll explain why.
:allears:

quote:

At a certain point you will start to plateau, so while you may continue to see incremental gains in handspeed if you're really training diligently and consciously working on it, the point at which you'll start to see these diminishing returns is highly dependent on genetic factors. It's not a linear progression to 100% of your physically possible handspeed, so just because someone hasn't reached that point doesn't mean there aren't genetic factors at play.

Wait a minute, so you're saying that people will see a lot of gains at first, and then eventually plateau, and it takes lots of diligent hard work and conscious effort to improve from that point? As is the case with literally every other activity known to mankind?? Horry poo poo...

quote:

Good thing the dude in my hypothetical wasn't asking how to be as big as Brock Lesnar, just asking how to improve his lovely deadlift. Kind of like how the guy in this thread wasn't asking how to be exactly as fast as Mike Tyson, just improve his lovely handspeed. As long as there is room to improve (there is), its pointless to bring up genetic potential because there are still plenty of ways you can improve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

HATE MONDAYS posted:

[comment about groin kicks]
They are nowhere near as effective as dumbasses who take Krav Maga think they are

I'm actually going to back this up as a dumbass who takes krav maga. A lot of people think groin kicks are super effective until they start sparring and they try to lead with them. Telegraphed as all hell.

• Locked thread