Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Don't even bother.

Bu-bu-but I was told there is no limit to what gains I can achieve. As long as I stick with it, I should be able to throw small to medium (maybe even larg-ish!) sized passenger vehicles around like they were toys one day. MIND OVER MATTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm actually going to back this up as a dumbass who takes krav maga. A lot of people think groin kicks are super effective until they start sparring and they try to lead with them. Telegraphed as all hell.

Who the gently caress would spar with groin kicks, that sounds terrible.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Who the gently caress would spar with groin kicks, that sounds terrible.

Dumbasses.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TheStampede posted:

Bu-bu-but I was told there is no limit to what gains I can achieve. As long as I stick with it, I should be able to throw small to medium (maybe even larg-ish!) sized passenger vehicles around like they were toys one day. MIND OVER MATTER

Real life is not zombo.com

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

TheStampede posted:

Nope. If you were 130 lbs and deadlifting 600 and asking for tips, then it would be worth bringing up genetic potential, not so if youre lifting 200. And if you are really 5'6" that would help explain why things seem to keep going over your head

"You dont understand Ive been training 2 hours a week since i was SEVENTEEN I couldnt possibly improve any more :qq: it has nothing to do with actual effort, the fates consipired against me :qq: Fast twitch muscle fibers :qq:"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

HATE MONDAYS posted:

Good thing the dude in my hypothetical wasn't asking how to be as big as Brock Lesnar, just asking how to improve his lovely deadlift. Kind of like how the guy in this thread wasn't asking how to be exactly as fast as Mike Tyson, just improve his lovely handspeed. As long as there is room to improve (there is), its pointless to bring up genetic potential because there are still plenty of ways you can improve

I was really only being facetious because I'm kind of a sarcastic dick IRL, but it does highlight my point. There is a limit to how you can developed your body. On one hand, yes, it's incredibly stupid to say you shouldn't bother trying to make yourself bigger/stronger, but it's just as foolish to say there is no limit to what is possible. I think the only reason this argument is happening is because both sides think the other is saying either of those things, which they're not.

EDIT:

HATE MONDAYS posted:

And if you are really 5'6" that would help explain why things seem to keep going over your head

OH gently caress YOU I'M SENSITIVE ABOUT MY HIGHT YOU WANNA FIGHT I DO UFC RARWRAR!!1!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

HATE MONDAYS posted:

Nope. If you were 130 lbs and deadlifting 600 and asking for tips, then it would be worth bringing up genetic potential, not so if youre lifting 200. And if you are really 5'6" that would help explain why things seem to keep going over your head

"You dont understand Ive been training 2 hours a week since i was SEVENTEEN I couldnt possibly improve any more :qq: it has nothing to do with actual effort, the fates consipired against me :qq: Fast twitch muscle fibers :qq:"

You are incredibly obnoxious and willfully obtuse, and contribute nothing of value to the thread. Please do everyone a favor and gently caress off.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

TheStampede posted:

I was really only being facetious because I'm kind of a sarcastic dick IRL, but it does highlight my point. There is a limit to how you can developed your body. On one hand, yes, it's incredibly stupid to say you shouldn't bother trying to make yourself bigger/stronger, but it's just as foolish to say there is no limit to what is possible. I think the only reason this argument is happening is because both sides think the other is saying either of those things, which they're not.

That's the thing, I never said there was no limit, I only said that goons asking for advice in this thread haven't reached that limit, so when someone asks for advice the first reaction shouldn't be "you cant!!! There's plateaus!!!" Because you could say the same thing about literally everything (Cooking tips? Sorry but eventually you hit a plateau with cooking skill and its hard to overcome, not everyone can be the next GUY FIEREI so I wont give you any tips)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

TheStampede posted:

OH gently caress YOU I'M SENSITIVE ABOUT MY HIGHT YOU WANNA FIGHT I DO UFC RARWRAR!!1!!

You asked for it *falls onto back, spreads legs* Get into my freaking guard

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

HATE MONDAYS posted:

That's the thing, I never said there was no limit, I only said that goons asking for advice in this thread haven't reached that limit, so when someone asks for advice the first reaction shouldn't be "you cant!!! There's plateaus!!!" Because you could say the same thing about literally everything (Cooking tips? Sorry but eventually you hit a plateau with cooking skill and its hard to overcome, not everyone can be the next GUY FIEREI so I wont give you any tips)

The one guy who said that was shot down immediately, everyone else has been talking about hand speed in general. You've been arguing against nothing, and your insistence on genetics being as irrelevant to hand speed as it would be to weightlifting is flat wrong. It's much more similar to something like sprinting speed, especially when it comes to things like doubling and tripling up on the jab, which is where this conversation started. A slow sprinter can get faster with training, but they will never become fast. Plus, the things that do improve your handspeed -- working mitts, jumping rope, hitting a heavy bag, shadow boxing, just throwing lots of punches -- are things someone who boxes would be doing anyway. There aren't really "hand speed specific" exercises. Making a lovely post with a bunch of :qq:emoticons:qq: doesn't make you any less wrong.

Work on your technique, practice combinations and throw a few million punches, but keep in mind that you will probably never look like Tyson on the heavy bag because you don't have the same physical gifts regardless of how much you train. There. loving drop it already, this thread was so entertaining before you came along.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 18, 2011

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The one guy who said that was shot down immediately, everyone else has been talking about hand speed in general.
I dont know what youre talking about, but I was responding directly to a KidDynamite post where he said that speed and KO power are 'hardwired' genetically (they arent, especially power)

quote:

Work on your technique, practice combinations and throw lots and lots of punches, but keep in mind that you will probably never look like Tyson on the heavy bag because you don't have the same physical gifts regardless of how much you train.
Nice Straw Man. Where did the guy say he wanted to be Tyson?? Argh, you're arguing against nothing!

quote:

There. loving drop it already, this thread was so entertaining before you came along.
Agreed, the pages of argument over whether Judo players should be allowed to use Japanese terms were enthralling. Fedor avatar guy has decreed it, and so it is.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Handspeed is part of the whole package. What speed you can gain (starting from 0 experience) will come naturally as part of good training. Well, say 90% of your top speed. Then you could work really hard on the last 10% as extra effort. From only training kickboxing, my vertical went from some inches under the basketball rim to almost barely being able to nick the rim. If I put loads of effort into just training my vertical, I'm sure I could squeeze the last few inches out of it.

I think the initial advice still holds -- don't worry about it, it should improve as a consequence of your other training. I suppose if you were really gungho, you could get those elastic bands and snap out jabs and crosses while holding onto those tied to something.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Handspeed is part of the whole package. What speed you can gain (starting from 0 experience) will come naturally as part of good training. Well, say 90% of your top speed. Then you could work really hard on the last 10% as extra effort. From only training kickboxing, my vertical went from some inches under the basketball rim to almost barely being able to nick the rim. If I put loads of effort into just training my vertical, I'm sure I could squeeze the last few inches out of it.

I think the initial advice still holds -- don't worry about it, it should improve as a consequence of your other training. I suppose if you were really gungho, you could get those elastic bands and snap out jabs and crosses while holding onto those tied to something.

I don't think resistance bands will really improve your handspeed, seems like that would more affect your power, since it would basically be punching through resistance. I always used things like that to develop muscular endurance, since it's a high rep kind of exercise. Actually, lifting heavy would be better for handspeed since it will better develop those muscle fibers and your CNS efficiency.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
How much % will steroids help?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Sorry to change subjects from the awesome genetic potential of goons, but I just wanted to say that I am now a brown belt in diseased pajama hugging. Now who wants to get in my guard.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I don't think resistance bands will really improve your handspeed, seems like that would more affect your power, since it would basically be punching through resistance. I always used things like that to develop muscular endurance, since it's a high rep kind of exercise. Actually, lifting heavy would be better for handspeed since it will better develop those muscle fibers and your CNS efficiency.

I think the bigger difference between lifting and bands is form. You'd have to have some fancy equipment to maintain your form while getting heavy resistance. As long as you explode into every strike with the bands, it should definitely help.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I think the bigger difference between lifting and bands is form. You'd have to have some fancy equipment to maintain your form while getting heavy resistance. As long as you explode into every strike with the bands, it should definitely help.

Well, sticking to the punching form specifically wouldn't necessarily help with developing the relevant fast-twitch muscle and improving CNS recruitment more than doing real lifts like bench, rows, squats, etc. which would be more effective in building those muscle groups. What you can do, though, is use a cable machine to get heavier resistance for a "punch" lift.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 18, 2011

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Yuns posted:

Sorry to change subjects from the awesome genetic potential of goons, but I just wanted to say that I am now a brown belt in diseased pajama hugging. Now who wants to get in my guard.

Hmmm, I'll have to take a look at your alleles, but sounds to me like youve reached your Genetic Potential Plateau. Don't go expecting to look like Roger Gracie on the mats now.

(Seriously though, congrats, Goon. That is a great accomplishement)

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey guys! I'm 7 weeks out from an amateur kickboxing match (maybe shootboxing if I'm lucky) against a kid who's 0-1. Fight takes place September 10th and I can't fuckin wait.

Question: I'm working with a dedicated private boxing coach to make my hands suck less, and they're telling me to improve foot movement by bouncing around more, staying more mobile and avoiding the typical thai boxing shuffle my gym teaches because it's way too slow.

Is this a good idea to follow? I really enjoy being a more mobile target, staying elusive and cutting angles faster just by virtue of being almost constantly in motion. Guys from my gym have been giving me poo poo about it and telling me how they'll just sweep my ankle with a kick when I'm in the air, but my hangtime is like an eighth of a second and every who's tried I've always been way out of the way beforehand.

Any advice boxing/thai boxing goons?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Fontoyn posted:

Hey guys! I'm 7 weeks out from an amateur kickboxing match (maybe shootboxing if I'm lucky) against a kid who's 0-1. Fight takes place September 10th and I can't fuckin wait.

Question: I'm working with a dedicated private boxing coach to make my hands suck less, and they're telling me to improve foot movement by bouncing around more, staying more mobile and avoiding the typical thai boxing shuffle my gym teaches because it's way too slow.

Is this a good idea to follow? I really enjoy being a more mobile target, staying elusive and cutting angles faster just by virtue of being almost constantly in motion. Guys from my gym have been giving me poo poo about it and telling me how they'll just sweep my ankle with a kick when I'm in the air, but my hangtime is like an eighth of a second and every who's tried I've always been way out of the way beforehand.

Any advice boxing/thai boxing goons?

You need to be able to quickly put weight on your back foot to be able to check leg kicks, which explains the difference in stances and movement. So if you're not worried about leg kicks, you can be lighter on your feet.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You need to be able to quickly put weight on your back foot to be able to check leg kicks, which explains the difference in stances and movement. So if you're not worried about leg kicks, you can be lighter on your feet.

I personally like the new style because I can alternate between stuffing leg kicks and circling out from them as opposed to checking and potentially hurting myself with weak shins.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Yuns posted:

You might be the highest ranked guy here, or at least tied with one or two others. Congratulations! How long have you been at it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Fontoyn posted:

I personally like the new style because I can alternate between stuffing leg kicks and circling out from them as opposed to checking and potentially hurting myself with weak shins.

It's amateur, won't you be wearing shin pads?

In any case, if something works for you then go for it, but there's a reason that when you compare pro boxing and pro kickboxing, the footwork is very different.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's amateur, won't you be wearing shin pads?

In any case, if something works for you then go for it, but there's a reason that when you compare pro boxing and pro kickboxing, the footwork is very different.

Yeah, but my shins are still pretty terrible - it's definitely one of the things I'm putting a lot of work into before the fight. I really want to avoid taking a shin to the knee or something because my check wasn't high enough. On the other hand, it'll definitely stay open as an option in case he's able to back me up or cut a funky angle.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Xguard86 posted:

You might be the highest ranked guy here, or at least tied with one or two others. Congratulations! How long have you been at it?
Thanks. Jam Master Flash is also a brown belt and I think there may be one other brown belt so there is a least one or two others. I've been training 5-6 days a week for 5 1/2 years. It's been around 1350 classes and more than 3000 hours of training.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yuns posted:

Thanks. Jam Master Flash is also a brown belt and I think there may be one other brown belt so there is a least one or two others. I've been training 5-6 days a week for 5 1/2 years. It's been around 1350 classes and more than 3000 hours of training.

Do you have any aspirations to teach? What's your motivation for training so hard?

e: Oh, and congratulations. Brown belt is a huge accomplishment.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

Question: I'm working with a dedicated private boxing coach

Someone who's really good can read you when you settle for a kick and teep you away or just defend your kick. So you'll have to make sure to open up with your hands and mix the kicks in mid-combo.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Do you have any aspirations to teach? What's your motivation for training so hard?

e: Oh, and congratulations. Brown belt is a huge accomplishment.
I just love BJJ and want to get good at it. Secondarily, I'd love to be able to teach some day as well to share the sport with others.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Also I got the mother fuckin sweetest seio nage into kouchi gari. It felt incredible.
Are you the one I suggested that combo to a couple weeks ago? If so, isn't it great? Enjoy it while it last because everyone in your club will get a clue soon enough, but it still remains one of, if not my, favorite combo.

--

For the question that was 2-3 page ago before some new argument poped up, my favorite techniques are
Kouchi gari because it's just ridiculously effective, quick and can link into almost anything.
Some technique I can't remember the name of, where your on someone side, you sort of hug them, put one of your legs behind his and then fall to your side/his back. This is the throw that gets me the most ippon by far.
Uchi mata : so good with kouchi gari and a beauty when you manage to do it perfectly. (almost never for me)
On the ground I'm very partial to the triangle choke and I love me some lapel chokes.

--

Congrats on the brown belt! I didn't even know there was a brown belt in BJJ! 5 days a week for 5.5 years is definitely a lot of time devoted to something so yeah, that's a great accomplishment!

Talking of belt I'm curious, what is everyone and in what? Also, how much do you train and since when?

I'll start first.

I'm green belt in judo. I train twice a week on average and I've been training for 4 years I think. I was hoping to get my black belt when I would get 30 years old (just turned 26) but that doesn't seem likely. Right now I'm gunning for my brown belt when I get 30 and black belt some time after that!

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 18, 2011

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kimbo305 posted:

Someone who's really good can read you when you settle for a kick and teep you away or just defend your kick. So you'll have to make sure to open up with your hands and mix the kicks in mid-combo.

That's been the worst hangup when I spar. I can take the half-step in and strike, but there's a slight pause in my canter right before that half-step occurs. I'll need to drill that more -- it's a lot like when guys will be moving their hands out of striking distance but freeze up right before they start a combination.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Fontoyn posted:

That's been the worst hangup when I spar. I can take the half-step in and strike, but there's a slight pause in my canter right before that half-step occurs. I'll need to drill that more -- it's a lot like when guys will be moving their hands out of striking distance but freeze up right before they start a combination.

I found that doing a lot of really light sparring where you just stand close with your partner and trade (at like 10-25% power) took a lot of hesitation and hitches out of my striking. It forces you to throw and throw and not have a "build up", so to speak, before you go for a strike or combination.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I found that doing a lot of really light sparring where you just stand close with your partner and trade (at like 10-25% power) took a lot of hesitation and hitches out of my striking. It forces you to throw and throw and not have a "build up", so to speak, before you go for a strike or combination.

My Muay Thai coach talks a lot about this: his basic advice is to open up more instead of thinking during the round. I generally only get tagged when my mind wanders to what kind of attack I want to launch. It should be opening- BAM - six punches and a leg kick.

EDIT: He also tells me to explore my chi more and represent myself through the art. Basically to be more loose and have more fun with it without going by the books or I'll burn out and get bored really quickly sparring 5 times a week.

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 18, 2011

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
One of the Savate Combat fighters from our gym recently came back from France, apparently had fun and thus we did drills like this:

Role #1 has to launch a combination of at least 6-7 strikes, Role #2 has to wait until #1 has attacked with at least 4 strikes of the combination before countering with a series of at least 5+ strikes of his/her own. When Role #2 starts the counter, Role #1 must still finish his/her combination (this means during the drill you very probably have to eat a bunch of strikes while finishing your own attack - which is good). If Role #2 does NOT counter but is overwhelmed and frozen by the flow of attacks, Role #1 just keeps on kicking and punching with more combinations until the round ends.

And other drills like that, no specific techniques were involved apart from having to chain long combinations, what strikes were used were completely up to the practitioner as long as the purposes was to land. Depending on the type of (striking) training a person has done that might sound like a lot of thinking but in the end it's really not. And drills like that are really, really good for you if you wish to not-freeze when fighting or doing more serious sparring.

Also the thing with dozens and dozens of rounds of 10-25% power sparring, yes. You can go pretty fast too, and still use very little power if you practice it for a bit. After a while you'll start feeling comfortable in all kinds of flurries.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Fontoyn posted:

My Muay Thai coach talks a lot about this: his basic advice is to open up more instead of thinking during the round. I generally only get tagged when my mind wanders to what kind of attack I want to launch. It should be opening- BAM - six punches and a leg kick.

Yeah, when you watch pro kickboxing or boxing and see a guy go a round barely getting hit, 99% of the time it's going to be because he was attacking the whole time (the other 1% is Floyd Mayweather).

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Yuns posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP322FWfJWQ

Congrats dude!

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Ive become very interested in pursuing a martial arts. I was thinking Id start training in a practical form, but am worried because a) Ill only really have maybe 3/4 days a week to train and b) Im pretty out of shape right now. Most of the talk seems to suggest the practical forms tend to be for people trying to train up for MMA, would I be out of place pursuing it for personal development?

My priorities, in case you guys have any general advice, are fitness > mental development (confidence, dedication, motivation) > practical defense techniques.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

Yes tell me about all the secret techniques I haven't learned in the 7 years I've been boxing. All boxing coaches must be holding back on their students. :rolleyes:

Your punch speed is something that is hardwired just like how hard you punch(ko power) and how much punishment you can take. Unless you mean you can train yourself to throw really fast pitter patter nothing punches then by all means.

Are you making the argument that you punch just as hard and just as fast as you did seven years ago when you started?

Cause if you do I can see your point but I bet you improved, which means that your power and hand speed are not "hardwired".

Here is an unfortunate truth, boxing is probably the worst western sport out there when it comes to research. So I bet there is tons that you boxing coaches missed because there is so little evidence based information for them to look at.

Let's take a look at "KO power", a study published by McGill last year showed the evidence of something called double peak activation. What that is, is the bodies ability to activate core musculature to propel a limb, then relax to allow maximal speed of a limb and then re-activate to stiffen the strike on landing. Research shows that this is key to developing power in striking. While some people just do this naturally there is no evidence that this can't be taught to athletes. As of now there haven't been any published protocols on how to improve this but you can bet there will be.

So, one of the key components of "KO power" was just proven to exist a year ago, even though we have had the ability to find this out for decades. The study that found this, was surprise not a boxing study, it was a study of MMA fighters. Boxing is so stuck in its' tradition that I'm not surprised that you are being fed incorrect information by your trainer, although I doubt it is purposeful.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Jenkl posted:

Ive become very interested in pursuing a martial arts. I was thinking Id start training in a practical form, but am worried because a) Ill only really have maybe 3/4 days a week to train and b) Im pretty out of shape right now. Most of the talk seems to suggest the practical forms tend to be for people trying to train up for MMA, would I be out of place pursuing it for personal development?

My priorities, in case you guys have any general advice, are fitness > mental development (confidence, dedication, motivation) > practical defense techniques.

3 days is enough, it doesn't matter if you're out of shape, the best way to get in shape is just to go to the gym and train, a lot of people do MMA without ever wanting to compete

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Jenkl posted:

Most people who train in grappling/MMA/striking don't ever intend on competing. Go for it!

Also if you tell us where you live one of us could probably suggest a good place to train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So 13 people have joined the Martial Arts Goons group on Fitocracy. And it looks like those who have joined are actually using it. I still wish they were better equiped for non-weightlifting activities, but I like having a place to log my stuff for goon judgement. Reposting the invite here: http://ftcy.co/lAGD2X if anybody wants in.

I need to come up with a picture for the group. Any suggestion?

• Locked thread