Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Per posted:

I'm really sorry to hear that. This has been a really great thread.

Maybe you could move to Denmark and rid us of our clover-leaf motorway exchanges.

Unfortunately you'd probably need to learn Danish first... anyway, here's the relevant authority.

Heck yes, I'll apply tomorrow. I can learn Danish in a couple months if I put my mind to it.

Crackpipe posted:

Come to LA and help make 30/10 happen. (and not suck)

This, too. It's worth a shot.

Grand Fromage posted:

Next you're going to suggest we tax yachts slightly in order to pay for things like a functional government. You communist.

They actually tried to do this here in CT and the outcry was tremendous. That 1% tax is KILLING SMALL BUSINESS GRRRR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Cichlidae posted:

I can learn Danish in a couple months if I put my mind to it.

I like the cut of your jib! Let me know if you need help with anything.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
We could sure use you in Ohio, but I'm sure you've seen how Kasich is on a mission to gently caress our public servants, so I wouldn't blame you for keeping your distance.

exo
Jul 8, 2003

I have to keep the walls wet...
God drat this sucks. Without this thread I honestly probably wouldn't have visited SA as often as I have over the last two years. Have you thought about Australia? People loving love roads over here and we've got so much money tied up in Public-Private Partnerships that you'd never be out of work as a consultant.

Plus our money is made of plastic and we have beaches.

New South Wales ("Sydney"): http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/careers/index.html
Victoria ("Melbourne"): http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Employment/EmploymentAtVicRoads.htm
Queensland ("Brisbane"): http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/About-us/Employment-and-careers/Current-vacancies.aspx
Big Contractors: http://www.thiess.com.au/ http://www.johnholland.com.au/
Big Consultant: http://search0.smartsearchonline.com/pb/aus_jobs/adhocjobsearch.asp?reg=AUS

exo fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jul 15, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Per posted:

I'm in on this as well. Denmark needs good traffic engineers.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Per posted:

Sorry to be a bother, but I can't find a link to apply for a job on the website. Do you think you could help? Maybe you or KozmoNaut could help me translate my CV, as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cichlidae posted:

Sorry to be a bother, but I can't find a link to apply for a job on the website. Do you think you could help? Maybe you or KozmoNaut could help me translate my CV, as well.

You can probably contact them directly at one of these addresses http://www.vejdirektoratet.dk/dokument.asp?page=document&objno=76983. I'd go for the Copenhagen office, I think that's the main one.

There is a listing of current job openings here http://www.vejdirektoratet.dk/stillinger.asp?page=dept&objno=77353 but it's only available in Danish. This is also the case for the otherwise very convenient site http://www.job-i-staten.dk/, which lists all current job openings in the public sector. Useability be damned! :argh:

That said, send them an email and explain your situation. Write everything in English, just about everyone there probably has some sort of higher education where good English skills are mandatory.

EDIT: Current jobs at Vejdirektoratet, translated:

• Construction Coordinator for Vejdirektoratet's major highway contracts on Zealand
  • Head of Laboratory and Electronics at Vejdirektoratet in Fløng
  • General traffic management work at Vejdirektoratet in Næstved
  • Surveyor to be responsible for land acquisition for Vejdirektoratet in Herlev
  • Maintenance Manager for Vejdirektoratet's Operations Division in Copenhagen

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 15, 2011

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sorry to hear it and I wish you the best. From what I hear, extremely well-paying opportunities are still available in the Middle East for Project Engineers and Project Managers. If I was single and not tied down with a house mortgage I would jump on it. If you are interested, I can get some info from my Kuwaiti colleagues in the office.

Engineers here in Wisconsin are being pinched but surprisingly Milwaukee is still floating with opportunities. I have it relatively stable and barring a larger economic disaster will still be here for many years.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 15, 2011

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Aw, that sucks. Traffic stuff is my guilty nerd pleasure, so I've been enjoying this thread for quite a while. :(

Neutrino posted:

Engineers here in Wisconsin are being pinched but surprisingly Milwaukee is still floating with opportunities. I have it relatively stable and barring a larger economic disaster will still be here for many years.
So those "press the button to have a voice tell you if it's safe to cross" things at Marquette are your fault. :mad: (they wouldn't be so bad if their signage didn't make them look like a "press the button to summon the pedestrian phase" thing. Damned out of towners and new students annoying everyone by pressing them & causing a barrage of WAIT. WAIT. WAIT. WALK SIGN IS ON. all the time. Maybe Cichlidae can come here and fix that. :v:)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I checked Rijkswaterstaat (Dutch DoT) and I can't see any openings yet, but you might as well keep an eye on it. IIRC there was another Dutch goon posting in here who used one of your spreadsheets (or vice versa), he might know more.

Good luck!

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Actually, I could put you in touch with a representative from Bahrain who was looking for contractors for a Qatar highway job they're doing. Message me if you want her info.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Chaos Motor posted:

Actually, I could put you in touch with a representative from Bahrain who was looking for contractors for a Qatar highway job they're doing. Message me if you want her info.

"Qatari highway... in the suuuuuunshine..."

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Qatar, where your craziest intersection designs can become reality.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Haifisch posted:

Aw, that sucks. Traffic stuff is my guilty nerd pleasure, so I've been enjoying this thread for quite a while. :(

So those "press the button to have a voice tell you if it's safe to cross" things at Marquette are your fault. :mad: (they wouldn't be so bad if their signage didn't make them look like a "press the button to summon the pedestrian phase" thing. Damned out of towners and new students annoying everyone by pressing them & causing a barrage of WAIT. WAIT. WAIT. WALK SIGN IS ON. all the time. Maybe Cichlidae can come here and fix that. :v:)

I'm in Construction and not in Traffic and haven't heard of those. We have some new pedestrian flashers by City Hall but they don't have a voice. Unfortunately, the number of accidents that they have had with students at Marquette not paying attention to walk signals and zooming cars must have required something more drastic!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

This, too. It's worth a shot.

I'm selfishly hoping for this so TrafficFest '11 is in LA :ssh:

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
Before you flee the state, I want to buy you a drink. Have we ever determined where/when we were going to have a mini traffic goon meet?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Before I get on to job stuff, I should go ahead and post today's Field Trip.

I was down in New Haven today (sorry, Kefkafloyd, can't come tomorrow; I have a friend's bachelor party to attend) to take a tour of the Q-Bridge construction site. You can check out the details at https://www.i95newhaven.com , but the project essentially consists of two chunks.

First off, the bridge itself, a dual 5-lane extradosed cable-stayed bridge. Decorative lighting, complicated stage construction, all that stuff.

Second, completely rebuilding the interchange between I-95, I-91, and CT 34. It's a huge, very busy interchange currently, very much substandard. This project looks to fix that.

Overall, the cost is something like a billion dollars, and it should be wrapping up in 2016. A good part has already been built, though, so let's take a look!

There were about 15 of us taking the tour, about half of whom got layoff notices yesterday. At least we got cute foam construction cones to use as souvenirs.

One of the first things to get built was the pre-loading. These are gabions, essentially wire boxes filled with rocks, built to add pressure to the 200-odd feet of muck beneath and help it settle before the actual structures are placed. Pre-loading is a great trick if your project is behind schedule, because the longer they're out there, the greater the effect. These have been around long enough to grow trees.

We were standing on a temporary roadway, to be put into service once the first half of the new bridge is built. This road will carry I-95 NB, as well as the merge with CT 34. Eventually, that on-ramp will be turned into a right-hand ramp instead of left. The ramp from 95 NB to 91 NB will fly overhead - that's what the pre-loading is for.

This ramp will carry a couple lanes of I-95 temporarily, and that on-ramp from 34 when the whole thing is done. I took this photo from a low angle to (hopefully) show the wedge (outlined in red) where the road develops superelevation going into the curve. Since we can't just tilt the whole road at once, there is a transition segment to do it slowly.

This bracket will, at some point, house a luminaire. Parapet-mounted signs are connected much in the same way, just without the electrical conduit.

Expansion joints don't stop at the edge of the bridge deck. Even the parapets and walls will expand and contract, so a metal sleeve takes up the slack here. Ignore my coworker there; he's just trying to confuse you by pointing at nothing in particular.

Here is the bridge itself. There is one main span, and two secondary spans. It's hard to get a sense of scale from that far away, though.

You can see by the tiny little guys working down there that this is actually a HUGE bridge. They built the pier table, a small chunk of the bridge, first. Now, they're using that as a balance point and building out from both sides simultaneously. Pretty cool.

Even down on the "ground," the work zone is positively buzzing with activity. I put "ground" in quotes because they're actually standing in the river out there, on top of temporary work platforms.

This is one of the two main piers. Those tubes sticking out from the side will serve as anchors for the cables holding up the spans. They will be attached as the bridge grows to the side.

I took this picture to show you the grade of the road, but it's rather hard to see, so I outlined where it changes abruptly from flat to a steep cross-slope. This is where the shoulder line will eventually go. I can tell by looking at it that the shoulder will be four feet wide. During stage construction, though, it's going to be a problem: we need to fit two lanes there. If a car has one wheel on each side of the slope, it's possible it could bottom out.

These three roadways, for now empty, will carry (from top to bottom):
I-95 NB main line
I-91 SB ramp to I-95 NB
CT 34 EB ramp to I-95 NB
All three join up and go over the new bridge.

The concrete ends here; this part probably won't be paved until the bridge is nearly complete. It's hard to tell just how wide it is from this angle, but to put it in different words, this span will carry 6 lanes of I-95 during one of the stages: 3 in each direction, plus shoulders and a barrier.

It's pretty :)

Looking back at the interchange, this is a good panorama of what's been done so far. In the distance is the new $99M flyover ramp from I-95 NB to CT 34 WB.

For those of you who haven't seen high-grade rebar, well, now you have. The green coating is an epoxy to prevent rust and help it attach to the concrete.

And for those of you well versed in structures, check out those integral pier caps. We had to wrap the entire structure in plastic and air-condition it so the concrete wouldn't crack due to thermal expansion while it was curing.

After the tour, it was off to Savin Rock for lunch. The high food prices also pay for the view. The air was clear enough that I could see SUNY Stony Brook across Long Island Sound.

Fun fact before I go: sea gulls have a red spot on their beaks. If you prod that spot, they will instinctively puke.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

exo posted:

Have you thought about Australia? People loving love roads over here and we've got so much money tied up in Public-Private Partnerships that you'd never be out of work as a consultant.

Plus our money is made of plastic and we have beaches.

You can bet I'm applying for all of these.

KozmoNaut posted:

[*]General traffic management work at Vejdirektoratet in Næstved

This one could work. I'm not sure if just emailing them is the best bet, especially considering it would be in English.

Neutrino posted:

I can get some info from my Kuwaiti colleagues in the office.

Sure, I've got some experience in construction management. Can't hurt to look :)

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Cichlidae posted:

This one could work. I'm not sure if just emailing them is the best bet, especially considering it would be in English.

I don't think it would hurt any. Maybe also say how much you're looking forward to moving to Denmark and how you intend to stay for a long time, etc. :)

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
You know what really burns my rear end? They're doing a minor parking lot expansion on campus, only about 15' x 100', and they contracted KBR to do it. Yeah, m'f'n KBR, the "we defraud the FedGov like it's going out of style while raping our employees and locking them in shipping containers" KBR.

The worst part? I watched them lay the concrete reinforcement grids today. The steel was completely coated with rust. There was no attempt to clean the steel, and they poured the concrete right onto the rusty reinforcement. Thanks you fraudulent rapists, that's gonna last.

The good news is they probably only charged five times what a non-fraudulent local company would have.

VV Not rebar my good man (which shouldn't be rusty anyway, note what Chiclidae said about epoxy coating) but mesh steel. VV

Chaos Motor fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 16, 2011

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Chaos Motor posted:

You know what really burns my rear end? They're doing a minor parking lot expansion on campus, only about 15' x 100', and they contracted KBR to do it. Yeah, m'f'n KBR, the "we defraud the FedGov like it's going out of style while raping our employees and locking them in shipping containers" KBR.

The worst part? I watched them lay the concrete reinforcement grids today. The steel was completely coated with rust. There was no attempt to clean the steel, and they poured the concrete right onto the rusty reinforcement. Thanks you fraudulent rapists, that's gonna last.

The good news is they probably only charged five times what a non-fraudulent local company would have.

I thought rebar normally looked rusty? :confused:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cichlidae posted:

I've put up a Google translated version here.

Don't worry about emailing them in English, they're probably aware that their recruitment system is only available in Danish. Applying in a slightly different way from everyone else increases the chances of your application getting noticed ;)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chaos Motor posted:

VV Not rebar my good man (which shouldn't be rusty anyway, note what Chiclidae said about epoxy coating) but mesh steel. VV

Light surface rust on rebar or mesh steel reinforcing doesn't really matter that much for most projects. When the concrete sets, the low PH and oxygen poor environment prevents further rust from forming.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Chiclidae, the meet is next Saturday, not today, so... you're not missing anything I guess? :v:

I for one welcome the new 91/95 interchange. It's been years in the works and since the 84-91 flyovers it's been possibly the stupidest major one in the state.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

KozmoNaut posted:

I've put up a Google translated version here.

Don't worry about emailing them in English, they're probably aware that their recruitment system is only available in Danish. Applying in a slightly different way from everyone else increases the chances of your application getting noticed ;)

Thanks, I sent them an email :)

kefkafloyd posted:

Chiclidae, the meet is next Saturday, not today, so... you're not missing anything I guess? :v:

Sure sure, what's the address?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Can I ask why building roads are so expensive? Why is a ramp cost around $99 million?Is it the cost of the contrete or the labour costs?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Supeerme posted:

Can I ask why building roads are so expensive? Why is a ramp cost around $99 million?Is it the cost of the contrete or the labour costs?

Material: For a ramp like that, each beam has to be custom-fabricated to have the proper curvature and attachment points. This requires a very specialized factory that can handle pieces of steel hundreds of feet long.

Substructure: The bedrock here is very deep, since New Haven used to be a riverbed. In order to build piers for the flyover, they had to tunnel down (underneath an active freeway) into rock, then core into the rock at the bottom of the tunnel.

Mobilization: Getting those huge steel beams from the fabricator to the site is very tricky. The trucks go about as fast as you walk, so they need cops ($75/hour) to escort them on freeways. Some existing bridges aren't tall or sturdy enough to support the load, so the route is often circuitous. In some cases, they need to reinforce the road before the beams pass over it.

Installation: This was all done over live traffic, so the entire installation procedure had to be planned down to the minute to minimize delays. This involved two huge cranes, temporary supports for the beams, and a temporary pin-and-hanger connection to hold the beams in place while they were being bolted down. All custom-designed.

Labor: It's not just the workers you have to pay for, but the mechanics to keep the machines working, police for traffic control, inspectors, overseers, and the rest.

Maintenance and Protection of Traffic: You need miles of concrete barrier, paint for lane shifts, signs, often new or temporary overhead signs ($$$)...

It adds up.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

They actually tried to do this here in CT and the outcry was tremendous. That 1% tax is KILLING SMALL BUSINESS GRRRR!
He's not kidding, folks, public outcry (which, as with most public outcry meant state Republicans kicked and screamed like toddlers) prevented the state legislature from making boat repairs taxable.

This is pretty much the only time I'll ever be so glad that we're so understaffed that I am the only person in the building who can do my job and my boss is the only one who can do his.

edit: Here's what I said on the issue last year. Guess I was wrong

GWBBQ posted:

The way it's going, I'm hoping for Dan Malloy. I know from stuff around Stamford and took a public policy class he taught, and he's got a good head on his shoulders and is willing to admit when he doesn't know something and listen to others. I can say for sure that he won't pull crap like Rell is doing.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 16, 2011

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

GWBBQ posted:

edit: Here's what I said on the issue last year. Guess I was wrong

Nobody knew. It's all nepotism and revenge, not that Foley would've been any better.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

KozmoNaut posted:

Light surface rust on rebar or mesh steel reinforcing doesn't really matter that much for most projects. When the concrete sets, the low PH and oxygen poor environment prevents further rust from forming.

Yes, but pointing out that it probably won't really hurt doesn't exactly align with my rant, does it? ;)

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Here's an article on your future colleagues in action.

And the followup.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Come work in Ontario where you very rarely see your antiquated cloverleaf interchanges anymore. :smug:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It's interesting that they built that fancy new off ramp to 34, while at the same time they are planning to change 34 from a highway to surface streets, because they realize the whole thing was a huge mistake to New Haven.

(I wish they had just finished the drat thing, since getting to New Haven from the Northwest direction is painful and stop-light plagued no matter which way you go.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

smackfu posted:

It's interesting that they built that fancy new off ramp to 34, while at the same time they are planning to change 34 from a highway to surface streets, because they realize the whole thing was a huge mistake to New Haven.

(I wish they had just finished the drat thing, since getting to New Haven from the Northwest direction is painful and stop-light plagued no matter which way you go.

Knocking 34 down to surface streets is the city's idea, not ours. We'd love to have a freeway through there. Even if it does end up as an avenue, we'd still need the full ramp to handle the traffic that uses it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hey Cichlidae, I was just looking at some old pictures I think from the 50's of some really old 8 lane highways. What struck me was that there were no lane markings at all. The closest to lanes were expansion joints more or less where lane markings should be. Did they not mark lanes back then???

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
The game "Cities in Motion" is on sale via Steam today for $6.75. Any other urban planner / transportation dorks have any experience with this game? Is it fun and/or a somewhat accurate representation of transportation systems?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Drunk Tomato posted:

The game "Cities in Motion" is on sale via Steam today for $6.75. Any other urban planner / transportation dorks have any experience with this game? Is it fun and/or a somewhat accurate representation of transportation systems?

I only played the demo. It was reasonably fun although a bit short. (You can barely get a meaningful transit system up and running before the demo's time limit runs out.)
What I've gathered from the thread over in Games it also doesn't have the longevity of Transport Tycoon.

As for realism: The capacities of vehicles are unnaturally low, but it also takes ages for passengers to board, so it seems to be an adjustment for game balance. I believe there have been made mods that change this.

Another transport sim game that might be of interest is Simutrans, by the way. It is heavily inspired by Transport Tycoon, but I find it more realistic in many ways.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
These days if you're going to play Transport Tycoon, you might as well play the http://www.openttd.org/en/ version.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cities in motion is a solid little game and is fairly "realistic", everything's just scaled down. They take cities of millions and scale them down to a city of a few thousand, and they lower the capacities of vehicles to match. Every single person in the game is constantly doing something and makes fairly intelligent pathing choices, so they had to keep the numbers down.

It also has an editor that you can make your own cities in. Actually I haven't played this game in ages, I might want to pick it back up. It's cheap and decent. I just wish there were even some light "simcity" elements to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

Hey Cichlidae, I was just looking at some old pictures I think from the 50's of some really old 8 lane highways. What struck me was that there were no lane markings at all. The closest to lanes were expansion joints more or less where lane markings should be. Did they not mark lanes back then???

Lane markings weren't commonplace until a while later. Centerlines came first, beginning in Marquette Township, Michigan, and lane lines weren't developed until later. The first MUTCD came out decades earlier, but even now, it's common to see roads that don't follow it.

:siren:Danish goons:siren:
Someone want to help me translate my CV and this job application?