Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
internet was finally installed and as a bonus my bed got here today too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
Got the hair cut I was too much of a chicken to get last time and it looks very cute. Even if the ends keep curling. Which they're not supposed to do. Stupid curls, don't make me get a flat iron.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN
I passed Finite Mathematics with a B. I had a 69 going into the final so I guess I Aced the test, hooray for me!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Did a whole day's worth of synthesis by myself without goofing anything (I am not a synthetic chemist in any sense of the word) :dance:

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.
I found $40 while doing my laundry, so I went out and bought a new sweatshirt and a new mouse...

Also, I had pain in my throat, but now I'm fine.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

In the process of my Landlord renovating the kitchen in my apartment we found a newspaper in the wall. Hard to access and we didn't get all of it, but it's awesome.

It's from 1887.

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
I bought me some new shoes and a whole bunch of food. I feel complete today.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Sat in bed for half an hour this morning and just farted the whole time.
Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
Made a fuckin' birdie playing golf, first one of my life. I've only made about 3 pars in my life as well. You'd think I'd be better since I've worked at golf courses the past 6 years. What a rage-inducing sport.

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?
Just got a promotion at work with a nice pay increase, going to see Wicked tonight at the Kennedy center AND my 2 week vacation kicks off after work today.

Words cannot express how happy I am right now.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Got a US Spotify account. :toot:

EDIT: And I just found out that Yes and Queensryche just released new albums within the last month because of it, then listened to them for free, completely legally. This owns.

A Fancy 400 lbs has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Jul 15, 2011

Chase Derringer
Jun 19, 2011

Hello! Ma baby
Hello! Ma honey
Hello! Ma *SKREEEEEEEEEEE*
Lipstick Apathy
Got three new coins for my collection today at work, all in amazing condition and none I don't already have.

MongolArcher
Jan 2, 2009
Got a wonderful new hat today - a canvass boonie that's the colour of raspberry sherbert. Perfect for working in the garden! Also acquired a new teapot from Dobra, some kick rear end teas on sale, and got to see pics of the almost-housemates' little boy.

Maxwell Street Days in Madison totally rocks. :D

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I found out that instead of 4, I actually have 5 beers in the fridge. This may not sound like a big deal, but it changed the dynamic of my afternoon considerably.

Zeff Clancy
Nov 25, 2007
Just returned from a fruitful Writing and Thinking seminar for educators and am really psyched for what I'm going to implement in the classroom this fall. I'm also more inspired now to write my own stuff, and I just churned out a draft for a poem that I'm really proud of. And now I'm helping my grandma learn to send emails on her new iPad and it's adorable.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My milk snakes laid eggs. I might not be able to salvage them, but damnit they did it!

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
My yesterday was awesome because I got a call saying my insurance company finally approved a medication I was trying to start taking but could never afford on my own!

Then later in the day, my boss who runs the lab told me she wishes they could keep me on as an employee once my student status runs out in a couple of months. :) It was nice to hear!

Today I got to sleep in for the first time in a few weeks. It was pretty awesome!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Got gifts for my family, finally went to the wings place in Georgetown I've been wanting to try all summer, then randomly got a free front-seat ticket to a great $50 show at the Kennedy Center because I wandered in randomly. Also got a Kalachakra poster from a Tibetan guy I talked to on the metro. Now drinking a Cherry Coke.

Life can be awesome sometimes. :)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Today was pretty lovely, so in an effort to cheer myself up I grilled some great Ribs with Yoshidas all over em (superb) and read most of Dance With Dragons.

I still wasn't feeling very great.

But then my friend showed up and we saw a late night showing of THE MOTHERFUCKING IRON GIANT and now I am all happy.

Because that movie, man, that movie is so good. I have to stop myself from crying at the "I GO, YOU STAY, NO FOLLOWING!" part every time even though I know that he comes back to life in Iceland at the end.

MongolArcher
Jan 2, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Today was pretty lovely, so in an effort to cheer myself up I grilled some great Ribs with Yoshidas all over em (superb) and read most of Dance With Dragons.

I still wasn't feeling very great.

But then my friend showed up and we saw a late night showing of THE MOTHERFUCKING IRON GIANT and now I am all happy.

Because that movie, man, that movie is so good. I have to stop myself from crying at the "I GO, YOU STAY, NO FOLLOWING!" part every time even though I know that he comes back to life in Iceland at the end.

I hope the rest of the week is wonderful for you, Iron Giant loving bro! :hfive: The last time I saw it in the theatre, I was with some of my best friends, all of us in our 30s at the time. We got to the "SUUUUPERMAN" part, and heard a lady telling the kid with her, "oh now come on. Nobody else here is crying!"

All four of us turned around, hankies in hand, eyes streaming, and said "oh yes we are!" The lady's jaw dropped, the little girl (who was still weepy) got the most awesome look of surprise and triumph and weepy on her face. The epitome of :3:

It still makes me cry when he chooses. Every. Freaking. Time.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Makin' pulled pork sandwiches, big ol' shoulder in the crock pot right now. :cool:

Hoping tasty meat makes up for major anxiety/depression yesterday.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

I got a job offer and am filling out paperwork for it now.
Paperwork has never felt so good.

Titus McSteelius
Jun 4, 2011
I've been seeing a guy for a few weeks. Things started off really well and we mutually like the way things are going. Last night was the first night I slept at his place. He had to wake up super early and he set his alarm so we would both wake up.

His alarm ringtone was the Super Mario Bros. Underground theme.

I think he's a keeper guys :)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Kind of a long one but there's some back story to why today is awesome.

A little over a year ago I was out to dinner with a couple of friends and at the table next to us was probably 6-8 girls. One of them I just couldn't take my eyes off of. We were kind of talking across the tables but the place was loud so it kind of tapered off after a while. After we finished eating I walked over to talk to her. I figured my friends would follow suit and occupy the other girls attention. Nope, they went and stood by the door to watch. Anyway, I talk to this girl for a bit and find out that they're all out because one of the girls just got broken up with so it was a 'girls night'. They seemed a little pissy because I was talking to their friend and kept asking her pointless questions like what she was doing next Thursday and bs like that. I got tired of battling with them so I told here where we were going that night and that I hoped to see her there.

I immediately started kicking myself for not asking for her number.

The next day I was at a beerfest thing and I was telling another friend the story of what an idiot I was, when I see the girl walk through the crowd behind him. I tell the friend and we go looking for her. We get to the other side of the festival with no luck. Giving up, we got in line at one of the beer stands. I feel a tap on my shoulder and it's the girl. We talk for a bit and I get her number, saying we should get dinner sometime and she agrees.

Later that night I was at a block party and was telling one of the guys that was with me the night before that I ran into the girl and guess who shows up right as I'm telling him? Same girl.

Anyway, we end up going out a couple times and it's just awesome. I think she's gorgeous and a lot of fun. For some reason though, we just kind of lost track of each other after that. I went out of town for work for a month and when I got back she was out of town. She'd also mentioned that she was dealing with a lot recently and kind of flaked out on a few things I invited her to. So, thinking that she'd lost interest I gave up. Even though we didnt talk all that time I never forgot about her and thought about her a lot. Especially seeing stuff of hers pop up on facebook, always got me thinking about her and wishing I'd tried harder.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago I run into this same girl again at another festival and she asks if I still have her number and to call her. I'm thinking yeah ok, she was just being nice and let it go. Then, the next weekend I run into her AGAIN while river rafting. Literally on the river in a tube and she floats by. We can't believe it and she asks why I didn't call. Lying, I said I'd been busy and would call her that weekend. Which I did.

We went out Friday night and had an absolute blast. It was just like I remembered it. She met a lot of my friends and they all think she's awesome. She came over last night and we watched a movie (Rango, if anyone cares. Pretty good, albeit weird, movie). Had a great time again and finally kissed her after a year. She told me she enjoyed kissing me. Also that she wanted to see me again before she went out of town this weekend.

Today, I can't stop thinking about her. I want to see her tonight but I know she's busy. I've got a softball game tomorrow night and am thinking of inviting her at the risk of the guys making fun of me just to see her.

And I'm okay with that!

e: For reference, I was with a girl for 4 years 3 years ago and haven't been with anyone on a serious level since. Haven't wanted to.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There's a guy at work who complains about everything. Everyone else is doing something wrong in some way, and he is the only one with the answers. It doesn't matter if you've been doing the same thing hundreds, if not thousands, of times for the past several years. He'll go apeshit over the first mistake he finds.
I acknowledge that he is a smart person and, sometimes, knows what he is talking about. The problem is that he is a tactless rear end in a top hat. It doesn't help that he's been here forever and management usually caves under his relentless annoyances or tries their best to avoid it.

Why is my day awesome, then? I'm putting this tosser in his place. I did something he didn't agree with he proceeded to copy/paste my work into an email with my lead and several higher ups/managers. Thus followed a wonderful chain of reply all emails:
- I explained the reasoning behind my decision.
- He complained that I should have done more.
- I explained that the process only calls for me to do so much work. If I went to the ends of the Earth every time, the work would not get out in a timely manner, and there are avenues to take if he wants more to be done; there is a another team that does more in depth work, should it be requested, once I'm finished.
- He complains that the process shouldn't be so black and white with a cutoff.
- I state that if he has suggestions for changes to the process I follow, he can draft those changes and submit them to my lead for consideration.
- He's still complaining.
- My lead tells him to shut up and propose any changes for "consideration".
- No response from managers.

My lead used to have my position and knows what I do and how it works. He's on my side. I am so loving smug right now AND I'm going to the Pink Door tonight. :smug:

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
My boss is being a prick and not giving me any shifts since I got back from Africa. I got a look at the rota tonight and he's overworking everyone else with 5 or 6 shifts a week, when he could easily split those up to put me in somewhere. The good news? I bought him and his wife a bottle of Konyagi (Tanzania's favourite spirit) while I was away, and that motherfucker is mine now. :c00l:

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them
Yesterday a friend and I took my brand new truck out to get un-prettified in the Pawnee National Grassland, which is the best place to get things dirty and test out a 4-wheel-drive. It's all dirt roads up there, nobody gives a poo poo about maintaining them, and the monsoon and frequent cloudbursts wash out the roads and create deep, muddy cattle wallows where the roads are supposed to be. There's something magical about gunning it through 2 feet of muddy water and seeing what a 5.0L V8 can do for the first time.

My truck is now covered in dirt and mud and probably a lot of cow poo poo too. It was white, and now it looks like it was made of adobe. Which is just the way I want it.

And while up at the trailhead for the Pawnee Buttes, a couple of tourists asked me tons of questions about the history of the area while I cuddled their schnauzer puppies. Even among historians, I'm normally alone in my love for the history of the plains and here were two people who were fascinated by it!

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Got a pet black widow. We didn't want her squashed by the garage door, so in a terrarium she goes to be spoiled with tasty crickets the rest of her life. She's a cute little thing.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I finally reapplied for college and I found out they combined my intended major with another major so now I get to take ATC classes and that's exciting. Also now I don't feel like such a loser because everyone else was in school and I wasn't.

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
I had the most awesome tour group at work today. There were 2 teenagers from here, 1 lady from the UK, and 4 Hungarians. They were all super attentive, asked questions, and laughed at all my dumb jokes. After the tour they all told me I was awesome and thanked me profusely, and a bunch of them signed our guest book and mentioned me by name, saying I was awesome :)

I really love my new job.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Had my internet/cable transferred to my new place, and not only did the technician show up on time and complete the install in a timely manner, but I got a free powerstrip and HDMI cable out of it :respek: Thanks dude, sorry your wife is kicking you out of the house.

Also took an amazing crap a few minutes ago :whatup:

sandle tits
Jun 1, 2011

The Hatchet Man
I passed a poor soul out doing manual labor in this heat and humidity we are experiencing and I realized how lucky I am that I dont have to do that crap anymore. I had a great lunch at this wonderful little Vietnamese place near me, then I sat in the dark all day with my two dogs enjoying the AC and drinking iced tea.

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
- Didn't have class today.
- Walked around campus with one of my dormmates and a guy across the hall.
- Went swimming in the dorm's lazy river with my other two dormmates.
- Made some people laugh with my blood cell/lazy river analogy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Because it's my 22nd birthday today! :dance:

My family and friends have wished me happy birthday today and I feel loved.

Also, my new laptop just shipped today and will be arriving tomorrow hopefully (thanks Amazon Prime!). It'll be replacing my Dell Studio 15 which has lasted me for 3 years and is now starting to kick the bucket (blue screened twice in a row last night and then put a "This version of Windows is not genuine" on the bottom right; plus, the sound card is almost dead at this point).

Plus, I'm drinking a delicious fruit smoothie from Caribou Coffee.

Life is great today. :)

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

October Revolution posted:

- Didn't have class today.
- Walked around campus with one of my dormmates and a guy across the hall.
- Went swimming in the dorm's lazy river with my other two dormmates.
- Made some people laugh with my blood cell/lazy river analogy.

Your dorm has a lazy river?

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Fiancee's meeting with her new HR Department went well, and we beat out a competitor for a super-sweet two bed two bath with tons of space and a washer and dryer in the apartment itself. She did find out her position is only for a year with no guarantee for extension, but what a hell of a year it's going to be.

And Happy Birthday, OrangeGuy!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cup of Hemlock posted:

And Happy Birthday, OrangeGuy!

Thanks! I appreciate it. :)

Also, I'm planning on going to a nice French restaurant in Dupont Circle and then going to get drunk with my buddies afterwards. I'm so excited! :dance:

Spaticus
Feb 26, 2007

Understanding what thread you're in is futile the monkey said as it double-clicked the report button.
I asked a girl out...on facebook. I'm a coward. But I feel awesome that I did it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Spaticus posted:

I asked a girl out...on facebook. I'm a coward. But I feel awesome that I did it.

Wanna know more about this.

Was it through a message or through chat?
If chat was it idly in the middle of conversation or did you open with that?
Also, what did she say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Baked over 90 chocolate chip cookies that came out loving perfect. Crispy around the edges, warmy and gooey in the middle.