Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Start using Google Voice instead. It's free and superior to carrier voicemail.

That's a nice idea and all but it doesn't fix my voicemail. :\

Also how the heck do carriers let people get away with using Voice instead of their minutes? Is it actually reliable enough to use daily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

HondaCivet posted:

Also how the heck do carriers let people get away with using Voice instead of their minutes? Is it actually reliable enough to use daily?
It's far more reliable in my experience.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

HondaCivet posted:

Because it isn't voip

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
So I'm considering the Samsung Galaxy S II as an upgrade from my current HTC Desire.

How easy is it to root? And what are the best ROMs out there for it? I've seen a couple of rooting guides on xda-devs referring to a tool called Odin? Is this Windows only, or will I be able to use it within Linux without a problem?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Rohaq posted:

So I'm considering the Samsung Galaxy S II as an upgrade from my current HTC Desire.

How easy is it to root? And what are the best ROMs out there for it? I've seen a couple of rooting guides on xda-devs referring to a tool called Odin? Is this Windows only, or will I be able to use it within Linux without a problem?

CM7 nightlies will apparently be on the GSII soon, so that at least answers your second question. [url="http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-all-things-root/367935-samsung-galaxy-s2-root-guide-updated-12-00-pm-bst-jul-03-2011-a.html"]This thread has a lot of good links that should walk you through the process.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

HondaCivet posted:

Like BMG said, it's not VoIP. It's a number forwarding service. The only true IP thing about it is SMS.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

wolrah posted:

When the problem is only exploitable through some magic incantations over ADB and requires that the phone be physically connected to another device, then I have a lot harder of a time agreeing that it matters at all to Joe User.
You know how Stuxnet spread right? One of the vectors was USB flash drives.

A USB-only exploit for Android isn't going to spread nearly as far as other vectors, but there's nothing about them that means they can't be automated and spread via a Windows worm component. Especially when lots of folks leave "USB Debugging" enabled after rooting and such.

I'm not going to complain when an OS developer patches security vulnerabilities no matter how little you think the impact will be. Folks have a tendency to exploit security issues in ways we don't expect, and patching vulnerabilities as they come up is a sound practice. Particularly on networked devices that's a known opportunity/target for malware.

However, I am going to fault a device manufacturer for not enabling some mechanism that allows me to replace the software on the device. I don't expect help, warranty, or much else. I'm pretty pissed at them if they don't offer that, but it's silly to get "more pissed" when they also patch known security issues.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rohaq posted:

How easy is it to root?
Trivial. At worst it requires flashing a rooted kernel.

Rohaq posted:

I've seen a couple of rooting guides on xda-devs referring to a tool called Odin? Is this Windows only, or will I be able to use it within Linux without a problem?
Odin is the in house software Samsung uses to reflash devices. I think it's also used by field techs for the same purpose. Yes it requires Windows, but the flashing protocol has been reverse engineered and an open source implementation, Heimdall works on Linux and Mac.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

HondaCivet posted:

You can use Google Voice's visual voicemail and no other part of the service if you want. I have GV that I use for a second line, but all of my voicemail, Sprint and GV uses GV. I've been doing this for about a year and it's awesome.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Like BMG said, it's not VoIP. It's a number forwarding service. The only true IP thing about it is SMS.

Except for that Groove thing that IS Voip via Google Voice.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Trivial. At worst it requires flashing a rooted kernel.
Awesome, that's what I like to hear.

quote:

Odin is the in house software Samsung uses to reflash devices. I think it's also used by field techs for the same purpose. Yes it requires Windows, but the flashing protocol has been reverse engineered and an open source implementation, Heimdall works on Linux and Mac.
Looks like the latest version of Heimdall only has an Debian package at the moment (I'm on Fedora), and I can't find the source code. I'll look into converting it with alien :)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rohaq posted:

and I can't find the source code.
This is the commit and tree that corresponds to 1.2.0 I believe. Although you might just want to grab HEAD anyways. They appear not to be very good with tags.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

letsgoflyers81 posted:

You can use Google Voice's visual voicemail and no other part of the service if you want. I have GV that I use for a second line, but all of my voicemail, Sprint and GV uses GV. I've been doing this for about a year and it's awesome.

Nice. Will GV transcribe voicemails to my regular number too? Or is that only available through Sprint? I'm on Verizon. I think I have it set up correctly but it's all a little confusing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

HondaCivet posted:

Nice. Will GV transcribe voicemails to my regular number too? Or is that only available through Sprint? I'm on Verizon. I think I have it set up correctly but it's all a little confusing.
Yes, it essentially replaces your Verizon voicemail with Google Voice. It will transcribe any voicemail you get (poorly) to your Verizon number and display it in the app.

Sprint is the only carrier that allows you to port your Sprint phone number to Google Voice.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Yes, it essentially replaces your Verizon voicemail with Google Voice. It will transcribe any voicemail you get (poorly) to your Verizon number and display it in the app.

Sprint is the only carrier that allows you to port your Sprint phone number to Google Voice.

Actually, can't you port any phone number to GV now? Sprint has some sorta something special that is somehow different from just porting your number to GV, but I don't understand what's special about it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Thermopyle posted:

Actually, can't you port any phone number to GV now? Sprint has some sorta something special that is somehow different from just porting your number to GV, but I don't understand what's special about it.

It's free, and you don't explicitly port it.

Starbux
Jul 25, 2009

The Three Smugmigos
:smug::hf::mmmsmug::hf::smug:
Did anyone try the new MIUI Evolution thing? How much has changed from the old version? I'm really excited to use it when and if the RIL problems finally get ironed out for the Thunderbolt.

Starbux fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 18, 2011

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

This is the commit and tree that corresponds to 1.2.0 I believe. Although you might just want to grab HEAD anyways. They appear not to be very good with tags.
Meh, I ran alien on the DEB file and the RPM installed just fine :)

Now to think about actually getting the phone...

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
So those of you on CM4DX, how's it coming along? Does the latest nightly include the fixes for the camera, youtube, etc?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
So I have a problem with Pandora and I don't know what happened.

I've got a Thunderbolt with CM7 installed.

I want to say Pandora worked prior to installing DroidWall / LBE Privacy Guard but I can't say that with certainty.

Right now, I can log in and it will display my playlists. When I select one, it will go to the black screen with the controls at the bottom. Nothing will happen for about 30 seconds, then I will be pushed back to the playlists screen. When I select another playlist, I'm booted back after about 3 seconds. Even if I create a new playlist, or use Quick Mix, the same result happens.

Any ideas as to what's causing this? I've given Pandora permissions through DroidWall and LBE so I don't think that's it.

mea gulpa
May 25, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

So those of you on CM4DX, how's it coming along? Does the latest nightly include the fixes for the camera, youtube, etc?

I've had CM4DX for awhile now, after using just about every other DX ROM out there, and I love it, no complaints at all. There's an All in One fix that addresses the issues you mention, and some of the stuff has already made it into the nightlies, and it's only a matter of time until the rest of it does.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

mea gulpa posted:

I've had CM4DX for awhile now, after using just about every other DX ROM out there, and I love it, no complaints at all. There's an All in One fix that addresses the issues you mention, and some of the stuff has already made it into the nightlies, and it's only a matter of time until the rest of it does.

Bummer for me is my X constantly reboots on the froyo kernel so I'll never be able to run CM7. From what I've read though, things seem to be coming along nicely.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is CM7 available for the Samsung Fascinate?

There are so many mods its confusing me to hell, is the "mod community" based out of xda-devs?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Best ROM for Optimus V?

mea gulpa
May 25, 2006

jfreder posted:

Bummer for me is my X constantly reboots on the froyo kernel so I'll never be able to run CM7. From what I've read though, things seem to be coming along nicely.

That's weird... have you tried sbf'ing? That problem definitely isn't normal or one I've heard of before. Is your phone still within warranty? I'd take any excuse to get a new phone that is in good working order.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Soooooo, preparing to SBF my Droid X so I can get CM4DX or Justice and I'm having a problem. The guide I'm using says use RSDLite 4.7 and the .340 SBF file. Check.

RSD Lite isn't showing my device even though I just ran the driver check and they were up to date.

Droid X
Liberty GB Rom 0.9
Windows 7 (Ran as Administrator as well)

I've tried USB Mode and PC Mode. I've tried checking USB Debugging and unchecking. Any other thoughts?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Welp, MIUI decided to start using insane amounts of CPU on my Desire, and then it just froze up.

Back to CM7, I guess :(

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

JerkyBunion posted:

Soooooo, preparing to SBF my Droid X so I can get CM4DX or Justice and I'm having a problem. The guide I'm using says use RSDLite 4.7 and the .340 SBF file. Check.

RSD Lite isn't showing my device even though I just ran the driver check and they were up to date.

Droid X
Liberty GB Rom 0.9

I've tried USB Mode and PC Mode. I've tried checking USB Debugging and unchecking. Any other thoughts?
You should be doing it from download mode, you get there by powering on and holding both volume keys.
This is the easiest way to SBF:
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html
Either burn the iso to a disk and boot it, or load it up in a virtual machine. I've used it a few times and it works great.

e:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
It's just both volume buttons. I just tested it and it happens in less than a second after hitting the power button.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 19, 2011

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

mea gulpa posted:

That's weird... have you tried sbf'ing? That problem definitely isn't normal or one I've heard of before. Is your phone still within warranty? I'd take any excuse to get a new phone that is in good working order.

Yeah I've sbf'd tons of times. Even on the stock 2.2 build it reboots constantly. I've read of other people having the same problem and the solution is basically to stay on a gingerbread build so I'm using Apex 2.0 right now.

JerkyBunion posted:

Droid X
Liberty GB Rom 0.9

You need to be in the bootloader mode as far as I know for RSDlite to work (I use the Linux bootable CD whenever I need to SBF). Turn off your phone then hold the camera button, volume down button, and the power button until the screen flashes.

mea gulpa
May 25, 2006

JerkyBunion posted:

Droid X
Liberty GB Rom 0.9

I'm probably the last person that should be giving phone tech advice (so I just googled the problem), but have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling your drivers? That's the first step I would take. If not, you can try some of these other solutions I found:

quote:

Was having the same problem. Killed MotoConnect and now it's working.

quote:

open RDS lite, go to config, deviceID options, check first-come-first-serve deviceID mode

quote:

navigate to where the RDS executable is installed, right click it, select properties, open the comparability tab, select sp2 from the dropdown, then try again.

I haven't tried these solutions, so your mileage may vary.

fake edit: or you can try what Doctor rear end in a top hat suggested, which might be easier. I've always used RSDlite, personally.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Is there anything that can be done on ADB that can't be done on the device itself? I thought it was equivalent to running a terminal application on the phone, so that means any application could issue the same commands.

No idea, actually. I think there are some things which can't be done by an app unless you're already rooted, but I'm not pretending to be an expert.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You know how Stuxnet spread right? One of the vectors was USB flash drives.

A USB-only exploit for Android isn't going to spread nearly as far as other vectors, but there's nothing about them that means they can't be automated and spread via a Windows worm component. Especially when lots of folks leave "USB Debugging" enabled after rooting and such.

I entirely agree that my position leaves some still open for exploitation, it's more of a practical choice given the current positions of many of the hardware vendors plus the carriers we have to deal with. I wish it wasn't that way, but given the choice between risking a few people who both have an infected machine and an Android phone with USB debug on and losing root for those who want it on a number of devices, I'll personally take the root. It's a lesser of two evils situation in my opinion. That said, I can't fault you for disagreeing.

If we had Nexus-style unlockable bootloaders on every phone, we'd all be happy. Here's hoping HTC delivers as promised on their newer units.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

So now that I've successfully SBF'd, the real question is this:

CM for DX (CM4DX?) or Justice.

Thoughts? Thinking CM4DX.

JerkyBunion fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 19, 2011

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Gtablet owners: I'm about to try to move from the Flashback a5.5 HC ROM to GtabComb b3.2. I'll try to report back with a comparison tomorrow at some point, provided I can get GtabComb to install correctly (last time I tried it failed at boot).

So far, Flashback has done very well for me, but GtabComb supposedly promises faster response and more stability and poo poo, so let's give it a whirl.

Fascinate owners running an MTD ROM (CM7 or MIUI), you may want to try out the Glitch kernel. It greatly improved my battery life and overall responsiveness. I always got a failure at boot on the nemesis4all kernel but this one works great for me.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
This fits in here since Adrenalyn and team BAMF are responsible for a ton of content on XDA

http://adrynalyne.blogspot.com/

Ever since they pulled their stuff from XDA, then have been receiving DDOS attacks, spam, suspicious packages in the mail. Seriously What the gently caress?

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.
So, about two months ago I rooted my Epic 4g in order to use it as a wireless tether. I would prefer to keep it rooted, but at the same time, this part of the warning section of the OP has been giving me no end of trouble:

From the OP posted:

Do NOT accept over-the-air updates if you root your phone. You can potentially gently caress up your phone this way. Check the XDA forums to see if it is safe, or if there is a ROM that incorporates the update, or a workaround.

Since I rooted, I have been bombarded constantly with what I assume to be the "over-the-air update" requests, asking me if I want to update my phone. I have always selected "install later," but frankly, I'm tired of having to deal with that. Even more, I checked the XDA forums, and the Epic 4g subforum is a mire of impenetrable jargon and asperger's awareness activism (I'm not even kidding). I don't even know where to begin to figure out if it is safe to install updates, or how to go about obviating this annoyance.

If anybody knows a solution to my problem, or could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Fascinate owners running an MTD ROM (CM7 or MIUI), you may want to try out the Glitch kernel. It greatly improved my battery life and overall responsiveness. I always got a failure at boot on the nemesis4all kernel but this one works great for me.

I mentioned it earlier in a thread but yea, seconded. My phone has never run better. Noticeably quicker.

I can't remember if you're running CM or MIUI. If it's the latter how are you liking it. It's sitting on my SD card waiting to be flashed. I'm just so drat happy with my phone right now. My joy of having a fully working Fascinate is conflicting with my urge to tinker.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

This fits in here since Adrenalyn and team BAMF are responsible for a ton of content on XDA

http://adrynalyne.blogspot.com/

Ever since they pulled their stuff from XDA, then have been receiving DDOS attacks, spam, suspicious packages in the mail. Seriously What the gently caress?

This is why we can't have loving nice things. Jesus christ I hate the majority of people in the Android community. Childish assholes.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Codiusprime posted:

This is why we can't have loving nice things. Jesus christ I hate the majority of people in the Android community. Childish assholes.

I guess that's the kind of poo poo that happens when spoiled 12 year olds are running around with 700 dollar phones.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Aisar posted:

So, about two months ago I rooted my Epic 4g in order to use it as a wireless tether. I would prefer to keep it rooted, but at the same time, this part of the warning section of the OP has been giving me no end of trouble:

Since I rooted, I have been bombarded constantly with what I assume to be the "over-the-air update" requests, asking me if I want to update my phone. I have always selected "install later," but frankly, I'm tired of having to deal with that. Even more, I checked the XDA forums, and the Epic 4g subforum is a mire of impenetrable jargon and asperger's awareness activism (I'm not even kidding). I don't even know where to begin to figure out if it is safe to install updates, or how to go about obviating this annoyance.

If anybody knows a solution to my problem, or could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
Do you have a custom ROM installed? Any custom ROM should be setup to ignore OTAs. Usually they have pre-rooted stock ROMs that just keep root that you can flash, but given all the issues on the Epic you might want to dig a little deeper.

The guy you want to recommend a custom ROM (even if it's just a lagfix and Voodoo sound and stock otherwise) is ExcessBLarg! He seems to know literally everything and has been dealing with an Epig 4G for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

LastInLine posted:

Do you have a custom ROM installed? Any custom ROM should be setup to ignore OTAs. Usually they have pre-rooted stock ROMs that just keep root that you can flash, but given all the issues on the Epic you might want to dig a little deeper.

The guy you want to recommend a custom ROM (even if it's just a lagfix and Voodoo sound and stock otherwise) is ExcessBLarg! He seems to know literally everything and has been dealing with an Epig 4G for a while.

I do not have a custom ROM installed, and while something like lagfix and Voodoo sound sounds nice, I would be perfectly happy with just stock.

That being said, am I missing much by not being able to update my android? Is there anything worth a drat from the updates that isn't already apart of stock?