Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
I realize that this might be the wrong thread to ask, but I figure it's related to film...
I am looking at purchasing a film scanner for my developed films. Do people have any recommendations for which scanner/s I should be looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Man_alive posted:

I realize that this might be the wrong thread to ask, but I figure it's related to film...
I am looking at purchasing a film scanner for my developed films. Do people have any recommendations for which scanner/s I should be looking at?

How about you try reading the thread ... just pick any few pages and you'll be sure to find your question answered

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Man_alive posted:

It seems to me the most commonly suggested home scanners depending on your price range are the Epson V500, V600 and V700.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Man_alive posted:

I've been using the Canoscan 9000f, http://bit.ly/n3zqsB, and it's been good so far. With any flatbed scanner, it's a constant war on dust getting on the glass, and it's not too fast if scanning at decent resolution, but it comes with holders for 35mm, slide and 120 negatives, which is nice. Minor color correction is sometimes needed in LR, though.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Wait, how does the Canoscan compare to the V700? It costs less hundreds of dollars.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
There's a whole scanning thread that is dedicated to this. Maybe this could be put in the OP?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mannequin posted:

There's a whole scanning thread that is dedicated to this. Maybe this could be put in the OP?

Done.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Just found this on the tumblr feed, even though its not specifically about film cameras, I thought a lot of people would appreciate it:
http://vimeo.com/26251829

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Spedman posted:

Just found this on the tumblr feed, even though its not specifically about film cameras, I thought a lot of people would appreciate it:
http://vimeo.com/26251829
Watching stuff being made is awesome. I like the more in-depth video by Canon for the details, but this is definitely worth watching.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

So I need some help. I bought a lot of 35 old camera lenses off Craigslist for 100 bucks.

After picking through them I kept four lenses, a power winder, and a few filters. My intentions were to use the four lenses for my Canon 60D (my day job is a videographer). The rest were utter moldy junk that I traded to the local camera store for two 4x5 film holders.

I've identified two of the lenses I kept as Pentax-K but these other two are giving me abit of trouble. I've ebay and googled the lenses, but the results haven't matched what I've got. Which mounts are these?

Kamero Auto F2.8 35MM

X-Fujinar T 135MM F2.8

The other two were a 50mm f2 and a 28mm f2. Sadly the 28mm doesn't fit the mount very well and only half of the aperture ticks seem to make any difference, but maybe that's normal on that lens. My grand hope was that I'd get a great set of primes for my video DSLR for really cheap. The 50mm certainly is light, looks great, and has a much better focus ring than my plastic-fantastic nifty fifty, so I won't feel tooooo bad if I can't get these other two lenses working.

EDIT: In retrospect, this might have been the wrong thread. But as these were for film cameras, I figure you folks would be able to identify these two mounts easier.

The Affair fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 16, 2011

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I could've grabbed a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 in M42 mount at the Salvation Army yesterday for $30, but I didn't have the money with me and now the sale is gone :(

also they had a Mamiya/Sekor 528tl and a Flexaret Automat TLR; I passed them up because one was bad and one was expensive

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Affair posted:

Which mounts are these?

Kamero Auto F2.8 35MM

Minolta MC

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

The Affair posted:

I've identified two of the lenses I kept as Pentax-K but these other two are giving me abit of trouble. I've ebay and googled the lenses, but the results haven't matched what I've got. Which mounts are these?

Kamero Auto F2.8 35MM

Minolta SR mount - sometimes erroneously refered to as Minolta MD or MC mount. That bayonet is identical to what's on the back of my 50mm f/1.7 MC ROKKOR-X on my X-700.

I might be interested in purchasing that lens if it's otherwise in good shape, and your price is reasonable. Put it in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread if that's your plan, and don't consider this first dibs because this isn't the sell thread.

e;f;b

edit: ok, I said "erroneously" but that's really just me being a pedantic rear end. Only a few hard-core Minolta fanboys care enough to push up their glasses and sneer while saying "ess-arr".

\/\/\/ ouch, I have been served. Well done, sirrah!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 17, 2011

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Minolta SR mount - sometimes erroneously refered to as Minolta MD or MC mount.
Time to out-pedantic you. It has the Meter Coupling tab on the outside of the lens barrel slightly counterclockwise from the notched bayonet lug (as opposed to clockwise from the notched bayonet for MD or absent entirely for SR,) therefore it's MC, not SR or MD.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

Thanks everyone for figuring this out. Looks like I'll need a glass adapter for it to work on my 60D, and that defeats the purpose. I could use my metric ton of FD glass instead if I wanted that.

ExecuDork posted:

I might be interested in purchasing that lens if it's otherwise in good shape, and your price is reasonable. Put it in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread if that's your plan, and don't consider this first dibs because this isn't the sell thread.

Would you be interested in the Kamero lens for $30 shipped? (Provided you are in the lower 48 that is.)

It has some random dust, but no mold or serious looking dings.

EDIT: Or! If anyone has an old Pentax or Nikon or some other mount that will glass-less-ly fit an EOS mount with adapter that's a nice but cheap-o offbrand 24, 28, or 35mm prime, I'd trade you.

The Affair fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 17, 2011

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I think that 135 is a Fuji X-mount, another dead system with a short flange distance.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That second row of aperture settings and the aperture control arm make it look like F mount.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

The Affair posted:

Thanks everyone for figuring this out. Looks like I'll need a glass adapter for it to work on my 60D, and that defeats the purpose. I could use my metric ton of FD glass instead if I wanted that.

Would you be interested in the Kamero lens for $30 shipped? (Provided you are in the lower 48 that is.)

It has some random dust, but no mold or serious looking dings.

EDIT: Or! If anyone has an old Pentax or Nikon or some other mount that will glass-less-ly fit an EOS mount with adapter that's a nice but cheap-o offbrand 24, 28, or 35mm prime, I'd trade you.
I moved this conversation to the Buy/Sell/Trade thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=63#lastpost

Short version: Canada, $40 shipped is my counter-offer.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

That second row of aperture settings and the aperture control arm make it look like F mount.

Isn't the aperture arm in the wrong place for it to be F mount?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Got my first Paterson system tank... it's huge :stare:

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

The Affair posted:

X-Fujinar T 135MM F2.8

X Mount.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm confused. The side of my bottle of HC-110 says to make Dilution "B", use 1 part developer to 7 parts water.

But everything else I've seen on the internet (including this thread) says to mix 1:31. Any ideas why the bottle would say differently? As far as I know I'm not using the European concentrate, I ordered from Freestylephoto.

edit-- oh, it looks like 1:7 is for making stock solution, while 1:31 is for making working solution - I guess it makes sense now.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Got my first Paterson system tank... it's huge :stare:

:qq:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

QPZIL posted:

I'm confused. The side of my bottle of HC-110 says to make Dilution "B", use 1 part developer to 7 parts water.

But everything else I've seen on the internet (including this thread) says to mix 1:31. Any ideas why the bottle would say differently? As far as I know I'm not using the European concentrate, I ordered from Freestylephoto.

edit-- oh, it looks like 1:7 is for making stock solution, while 1:31 is for making working solution - I guess it makes sense now.

Yeah, but unless you're going to be using all that developer somewhat quickly, it will behoove you to mix from syrup, not stock. If you don't have one, get a syringe (look for a cheap plastic 'oral/topical' one) to measure it with.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Reichstag posted:

Yeah, but unless you're going to be using all that developer somewhat quickly, it will behoove you to mix from syrup, not stock. If you don't have one, get a syringe (look for a cheap plastic 'oral/topical' one) to measure it with.

Yep, that's what I'm planning on doing. I also assume that it's safe to use the agitator-spinny rod in the Paterson tank to agitate instead of inversion? Putting the tupperware-style cap on that thing is a pain in the rear end.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Want to thank you guys again for the advice so far. My OM-1 with the 50mm f/1.4 has been a blast. Should have some decent stuff to show off soon. :toot:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

QPZIL posted:

Yep, that's what I'm planning on doing. I also assume that it's safe to use the agitator-spinny rod in the Paterson tank to agitate instead of inversion? Putting the tupperware-style cap on that thing is a pain in the rear end.

You're going to have to do your own tests to see what works for agitation. There are a lot of opinions out there about the effects of various strategies. Personally, I pick my tank up by the up and swish it around in a circle since it likes to leak if I invert it.

e: Yeah I use inversion for my washing as well.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 18, 2011

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Reichstag posted:

You're going to have to do your own tests to see what works for agitation. There are a lot of opinions out there about the effects of various strategies. Personally, I pick my tank up by the up and swish it around in a circle since it likes to leak if I invert it.

I'm satisfied with the results I get from "spinning rod" agitation. Originally I did inversion agitation, but stopped doing that since mine leaks through the lid too...
(I still use inversion for Ilford-style washing, since that's just water.)

Ciro-Flex
Jan 28, 2009
The terminologies of "stock" solution and "working" solution confuse me. One roll of film requires 300ml of solution. This means that with HC-110 Dilution B 1:7, I mix 38ml of developer syrup straight from the bottle with 262ml of tap water. This gets mixed in a graduated cylinder then poured in the tank.

Am I doing it right?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ciro-Flex posted:

The terminologies of "stock" solution and "working" solution confuse me. One roll of film requires 300ml of solution. This means that with HC-110 Dilution B 1:7, I mix 38ml of developer syrup straight from the bottle with 262ml of tap water. This gets mixed in a graduated cylinder then poured in the tank.

Am I doing it right?

In the case of HC-110, "stock" solution refers to a dilution of the syrup which is too strong to use for developing film as-is, and "working" solution is a dilution of the stock solution suitable for developing film in.
If you want to make working-strength dilution B directly from syrup, the ratio is 1+31. I.e. for 320 ml solution you would use 10 ml syrup and 310 ml water. (Based on this page.)

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

Ciro-Flex posted:

Am I doing it right?

No.

With HC110 you make either a working solution from syrup or a working solution from "stock" solution. The 1:7 ratio (or dilution B) of working solution is from stock solution NOT syrup. Stock solution is the 8oz bottle of the syrup diluted to 64oz total - which coincidentally is also 1:7.

To make working (dilution B) solution from syrup: dilute syrup with water 1:31

To make working (dilution B) solution from stock solution: dilute stock solution with water 1:7

In your example to make at least 300ml of total you need either

10ml syrup with 300ml water (I rounded up to make the syrup easier to measure)

OR

38ml stock with 262ml water (again rounded up slightly)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

What developers do you guys like using for Ilford normal-grain films?

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
For all Ilford films I use the following combo:

ID11
1:3
75F
15 to 17mins (this will depend on the shooting conditions low contrast will be 17mins)
1 agitation to start per minute
I usually presoak for 2 minutes with filtered water at 75F as well, and always if it's 120 film.

This gives me really nice fine grain and beautiful dense negatives. They look a little too dense sometimes, but printing or scanning really shows lots and lots of fine detail. Don't need to change anything if you are using different speed films. I have done 50, 100 and 400 speed films, all together and they have come out superb.

You can use D76 instead of ID11 and they are basically the same developer.

Ciro-Flex
Jan 28, 2009
So what would be the result of using a higher concentration of developer like I've been doing? Higher contrast? I've actually kind of liked the effect that has been produced by my (improper) development method but I'm going to start doing it the right way from now on.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

Ciro-Flex posted:

So what would be the result of using a higher concentration of developer like I've been doing? Higher contrast? I've actually kind of liked the effect that has been produced by my (improper) development method but I'm going to start doing it the right way from now on.

Yup higher contrast. Though it will blow out the highlights a bit and you will lose some shadow detail.

When I was learning all of this I did the same thing you did, misread the confusing instructions and used way too much developer. Thing is my negatives from there aren't so bad, in fact I got some good prints from them. The issue manifests itself more if you are using longer development times. Dilution B is still only about 7 to 8 mins, which isn't long enough to really screw up something like Tri-X which has so much latitude anyway. However at dilution F you are using way too much developer for 15 mins, then you get pretty messed up negatives with so much contrast and no highlight or shadow detail at all.

Ciro-Flex
Jan 28, 2009
Well I guess that would explain why my test roll of Tri-X 400 pushed to 1600 turned out like this:

Although they still looked pretty neat when scanned :)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

What kind of effect would I get from trying something like Rodinal or Microphen on Pan F or FP4?

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
Rodinal would be a nice developer, but depends on your subject and what look you want. It's a very sharp and fine grain developer. A friend uses it 1:100 stand developed for an hour, gets really nice negatives, similar to the ID11 routine I have been using. Though he uses it on everything, including TriX.

Microphen is good for a 1 stop speed boost without noticeably increasing grain.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Well I did it, I sprung for a Fuji Klasse S ... now to hope it turns up before my holiday next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Just for an example, this is some 120 Fuji Acros, souped in some Rodinal (R09) 1:125 stand developed for 1hr.

Out the back by mr_student, on Flickr